The Avengers: Age of Ultron is Live. Don't forget the Spoiler Tags, Damnit.Movies 

• Thread starter niky
  • 377 comments
I'm not expecting them to perfectly replicate the comics - quite the opposite, really. I think that Marvel have been a little bit too true to the comics at times, and have done things that have not translated into film as well as they could have if they had relaxed a little and treated it as a film rather than as a film adaptation of a comic book.

Not sure what areas, until you give a description since this is quite vague. Also I should note to those reading I'm purely talking about the actual Marvel Cinematic universe which does not include anything going on with Fox and their F4 and X-Men movies. You can now add Spider-man to the marvel cinematic universe because of the joining but other than that what examples are you talking about.

I think this is what some people seemed to miss.

It's not about what people seemed to miss. You're dealing with characters and events that, if altered too heavily, the comic book community - the community these movies immediately appeal to, will not pass up the opportunity to point out each and every one its flaws. The same will happen now, and is, but not for the same reasons or with the same bias.

Knowing this and I think they've handled the situation very well. I'm not expecting a 100% faithful adaptation for a number of reasons, the primary of those reasons being some of it simply won't translate as well and is better left to the original material as the stories can be developed across multiple issues, but the movies are more accurate to the source material while taking license accordingly.

My own expectation, was that the fiwerewould be based on The Ultimates. Especially when I saw who Nick Fury looked like when I opened the pages. I guess Tony Stark's drinking, the domestics between Wasp and Giant Man and Hulk's foul dialog towards Wasp during the battle in NYC, probably wouldn't fly on the big screen. Though, Disney has done worse in their own cartoons. Hunchback's nasty -minded Claud Frollo comes to mind.

Forgot to add one of these :sly:

Last edited:
Now that I've seen the movie and can act on that and not book know-how:

I didn't get this before seeing the movie and after having seen it, I still don't get this particular criticism. The only genuinely new characters introduced were Ultron and Vision. Quicksilver and Scarlet were introduced in The Winter Soldier.

If you're referring to Clint's family, sure, that was a surprise in and of itself, but I'm more interested in the fact, and I have no idea why I didn't piece this together before (wasn't paying attention), that he's not married to Mockingbird. It doesn't alter things too much as she's playing her role in AoS, and rightfully so, but that just.. bugs me. :lol:

I'll need some examples here. I had no trouble keeping up with things, but I will concede with things not being as fleshed out as they could, but it's the price paid for movies like this where there are multiple main characters - everyone doesn't get enough screen-time.

And I'm okay with that. Not really, but let's pretend that I am...

I see where both you and pm are coming from with this now, but the way I see it is there is a sense of continuity there but it's subtle: Stark wants Ultron to ultimately serve as a buffer, a means for them to not get involved unless absolutely necessary. Does it contradict 3? Yeah. I won't pretend that it won't, but that's how it came across to me.

I'd have to watch 3 again as everything after the original isn't exactly... memorable. I like 3 by itself and a hell of a lot more than 2 (and I actually dig 2), but wasn't the Christmas protocol or whatever he called it just a show-to for Potts that he wasn't going to obsess over it night and day, night and day, night and day, and be more focused on her?

The movie itself... I loved it, but right off the bat I have to address the silly continuity with Mjolnir. Vision lifts and wields the hammer with ease and that's perfectly fine, but when they're discussing it in the new base one of the explanations given was "he's a robot... so it doesn't count", and that's where my problem lies, because if that's the case when people were gathering far and wide to attempt to move the hammer in Thor, the pickup truck was unable to move it and that's bollocks because the truck has no sentience of any kind but Vision does.

I thought Ultron was done well enough in the MCU that he didn't need to be as powerful as he really is, he posed enough of a threat at it is, so I can do without his coma beam and the likes thereof. His personality was just enough that you feel he steals whatever scene he's in. He's such a dynamic antagonist that he can come back the umpteen times he does in the books and it would be interesting every single time. I enjoyed Vision but there just wasn't enough of him to go around and that's probably the biggest letdown of the entire movie.

And now the scene that made me smile the most: Thanos putting on the gauntlet and exclaiming that he's going to do things himself now.

Oh, and Thor does hand-to-hand stuff!

Thing is, we know very little about the twins. We get to know their origin story, and get a general idea of what powers they have. That is it. The girl was aparently way more powerful than she first lets on, which makes me wonder why she was relegated to only doing her mindtricks earlier on. I understand that that would've been a priority for her character, but surely she could have helped out with the fighting too.

Vision came out of nowhere for me. Didn't much like the character, and tbh, I still don't know if he's part Jarvis, or if his personality stems from the stone inside him. Not that it really matters, as in the end, he played very little part in what actually happened in the end...

Ultron was awesome, yet did not live up to my expectations. He says in the movies that he'll give humanity a chance to evolve, but how? He never actually attemps to do this. I get that his plan to obtain nuke launch codes, and the super nuke like thing failed, and that in the end, he had to rush his plans, but what exactly was his plan to begin with? How did he plan for the humans to evolve? What is even his difinition of evolving? And perhaps the question I was most curious with. Was Ultron (and Vision) only AI's, or were they part alien? They were derived from alien tech, right? So was their anything sentient about them? Why did Ultron hate Stark?

Clint's family was to me, rather unnecessary, but at least, it wasn't as annoying and out of nowhere as the relationship between Black Widow and Banner. Every time those two had a "moment" together, I wanted to yell get on with it. In the first Avengers, she and Hawkeye seemed to have something going. I haven't seen Cap America: Winter Soldier since the cinema, but didn't she also flirt with Cap in that one? And now, she is all over Banner. It felt like pointless filler.

Then we have Nick Fury, War Machine and Falcon who are there just for the sake of being there, except Fury, who pulls the ultimate Ex Machina at the end... Speaking of the end, how exactly did Ultron make a large piece of land, detqach from the rest, and fly? How and why did he come accross the aircraft of our heroes, and decide that using this to take 'em out, would be a good idea. Isn't he rather powerfull himself?

I really need to see the movie again, 'cause I'm not sure I understand the motivation for all the characters in the scene where they debate about bringing the robot(?), that would become Vision, to life. I understand Stark's and Cap's motivation. The others are enigmas to me.

And Thanos... I dunno. First off, what he says makes no sense in relation to this particular movie, does it? I mean, he didn't have anything to do with Ultron, right? He's been hinted and hyped for 3 movies. It's wearing thin IMO. Also, the new Avengers cast is super weak...

"How about GOTG? They needed an Infiniti Stone to handle the big dog of their movie. Im sure Cap, Widow, SW, Vision, WM, Falcon can hand The X-Men and GOTG their you-know-what's. This next Avengers line up(cast) is quite strong.

Thing is, we know very little about the twins. We get to know their origin story, and get a general idea of what powers they have. That is it. The girl was aparently way more powerful than she first lets on, which makes me wonder why she was relegated to only doing her mindtricks earlier on. I understand that that would've been a priority for her character, but surely she could have helped out with the fighting too.

The problem with this is Marvel couldn't explain their genuine origins so they had to dance around things by essentially making the both of them two entirely different characters (thus explaining their ties to Strucker) and had to dance around a few key aspects, the most notable of which being that they're mutants with ties to Magneto and the X-Men.

You have to remember near the very beginning it was said by Strucker that they weren't ready, so you could expand from that they weren't potent enough with their powers, whether it be through a lack of testing or application, the both of them simply didn't know what they were capable of and that played all throughout the movie. Wanda still hasn't tapped into anything remotely close to what she's capable of and that's where the training comes in at the end.

Vision came out of nowhere for me. Didn't much like the character, and tbh, I still don't know if he's part Jarvis, or if his personality stems from the stone inside him. Not that it really matters, as in the end, he played very little part in what actually happened in the end...

Transferring Jarvis' AI was interrupted by, well, just about everyone if you'll recall so he isn't Jarvis, he's a completely different sentient being that just so happens to have the voice of Jarvis.

Ultron was awesome, yet did not live up to my expectations. He says in the movies that he'll give humanity a chance to evolve, but how?

By making them extinct. The crude, crude joke was they're never going to change, they're never going to realize their full potential and will always *just* scratch the surface and nothing more. Also, he had an intense God Complex.

So, yeah.

He never actually attempts to do this.

His plan isn't *exactly* what you think it is.

I get that his plan to obtain nuke launch codes, and the super nuke like thing failed, and that in the end, he had to rush his plans, but what exactly was his plan to begin with?

To kill everyone. :P

How did he plan for the humans to evolve?

By killing them. I'm not repeating the same answer to poke fun at you, just to repeat the utter simplicity of his goal. Realizing what I said above, his plan is simply to make them extinct.

What is even his difinition of evolving?

Keeping it to the movie, his definition of evolution is the embodiment of Vision, and that is "perfection". The old cocoon cliche.

And perhaps the question I was most curious with. Was Ultron (and Vision) only AI's, or were they part alien?

In the movie? No. In the comic book? No. They're purely sentient androids, although Vision, just as he is in the books, is more humanoid.

They were derived from alien tech, right?

No. Ultron was to be the "Prime" of the Iron Legion, hence his rough first appearance and his hurry to get away from any visual alliance with Tony, and Vision was constructed from Vibranium.

So was their anything sentient about them?

Of course. Ultron was sentient the second Jarvis began talking with him, and Vision was sentient the second he was animated by way of Ultron, er, Thor. And I think this is what you were asking before (and what I couldn't quite articulate for one reason or another) but Vision is what Tony intended Ultron to be; a protector without the severe God Complex.

Not to mention Ultron had previously uploaded some of his own consciousness beforehand, which again speaks to him (Vision) not being Jarvis. He's neither of the two, he is a separate being with Jarvis' voice.

Why did Ultron hate Stark?

Now this is a great question. It isn't explored to death because it is a movie and there is a limit where even the most devoted minds will begin to wander, but Ultron hates Stark for nearly the same reason Ultron hates Hank Pym (the person that actually creates Ultron in the books) and that reason ultimately boils down to irrational hatred. Hatred that he was made in Stark's image, has his thought patterns, his likeness, his eccentricities, and would rebel as a result.

The perfect example of this is when he was utterly offended when perceived as "one of Stark's creation" by Ulysses.

Clint's family was to me, rather unnecessary, but at least, it wasn't as annoying and out of nowhere as the relationship between Black Widow and Banner. Every time those two had a "moment" together, I wanted to yell get on with it. In the first Avengers, she and Hawkeye seemed to have something going. I haven't seen Cap America: Winter Soldier since the cinema, but didn't she also flirt with Cap in that one? And now, she is all over Banner. It felt like pointless filler.

I had absolutely no problems with Clint's family other than what I said above, and didn't have too much of a problem with the unique angle between Widow and Banner, but I can definitely see how it can come across as anything but genuine. My closest guess is they were trying to compensate for not having Betsy around.

Then we have Nick Fury, War Machine and Falcon who are there just for the sake of being there, except Fury, who pulls the ultimate Ex Machina at the end... Speaking of the end, how exactly did Ultron make a large piece of land, detach from the rest, and fly? How and why did he come accross the aircraft of our heroes, and decide that using this to take 'em out, would be a good idea. Isn't he rather powerfull himself?

The piece of land was his "Church" if you'll recall and was to serve as his piece for new world order, that is to extinguish life and create his own. Make the world into his own image.

I really need to see the movie again, 'cause I'm not sure I understand the motivation for all the characters in the scene where they debate about bringing the robot(?), that would become Vision, to life. I understand Stark's and Cap's motivation. The others are enigmas to me.

They didn't want to face the possibility of another Ultron that would be even more threatening. Remember, this was the body Ultron created himself so he could evolve.

Also, remember that Wanda conversed with Captain, saying that Ultron doesn't know how to separate saving humanity from destroying it, and asking where he think he (Ultron) gets that from.

And Thanos... I dunno. First off, what he says makes no sense in relation to this particular movie, does it?

Saying that he'll do it himself? It makes perfect sense. We can discuss that later.

I mean, he didn't have anything to do with Ultron, right?

No. Right. I struck out "No." as it may come across as a contrary response and it isn't. Thanos had absolutely nothing to do with Ultron whatsoever.

He's been hinted and hyped for 3 movies. It's wearing thin IMO.

If you don't really understand who Thanos is and how he goes about doing things (and I discussed this with prisonermonkeys earlier) then it can easily come across that way. He's playing his role really no differently than he did in the comics. He is the ultimate threat unlike anything they've ever or will ever face, but again, I agree with the sentiment that he needs to be more proactive and this addresses exactly that.

Also, the new Avengers cast is super weak...

That's not the new Avengers cast in the way that you're thinking or the way it comes across. If it is, then it's referencing The New Avengers (hence the breed of old and new). If anything at all, I think they'll play a role in Civil War.

Well, Terronium-12, you've effectively made me like the movie more by explaining some of the problems I had with it. So cheers for that 👍. My understanding of the word "sentient" was a bit off, so in retrospect, it wasn't the word I was going for.

It does seem that not having read the comics leaves you at a bit of a disadvantage. Civil War is sounding very exciting to me, but I also see it as something that's going to be extremely difficult to pull off. But unless I am mistaken, the crew of Avengers 1 and 2 will no longer be fighting together?

But I dunno. The movies are starting to walk a thin line for me, with introducing other Marvel characters that I don't think really fit into the universe.

Well, Terronium-12, you've effectively made me like the movie more by explaining some of the problems I had with it. So cheers for that 👍. My understanding of the word "sentient" was a bit off, so in retrospect, it wasn't the word I was going for.

No problem. The movies can be followed without any knowledge of the matters presented whatsoever, but for little things like the several cameo appearances by Thanos you are at a disadvantage as you think this guy is essentially full of himself, and you don't know what they're building toward.

It does seem that not having read the comics leaves you at a bit of a disadvantage. Civil War is sounding very exciting to me, but I also see it as something that's going to be extremely difficult to pull off. But unless I am mistaken, the crew of Avengers 1 and 2 will no longer be fighting together?

But I dunno. The movies are starting to walk a thin line for me, with introducing other Marvel characters that I don't think really fit into the universe.

Here's the thing with Civil War: I don't know if they're going the way of having it be the result of "other" means which could work within the context of the movies, or if it'll play directly on the aftermath of Age of Ultron (which would work of equal awesomeness, perhaps more so) but it should prove to be a great lead-in to everything that's coming.

That's just it, I honestly don't know what direction they're going for with Civil War. Ultimately, everyone will have to be on the same page to die at the hands of to overcome Thanos, but that's the endgame of this situation. I can only guess that they won't be a "team" as it were until then, so, thinking about it you may be right in that it is setting up The New Avengers... but for an entirely different reason.

Look at the bigger picture for a second, if you don't introduce these characters now, regardless of how pivotal a role they play in the grand scheme of things, introducing them in Infinity War ad infinitum would be utterly disastrous because you wouldn't know who's who, what's what, where they came from, and how they came about. Someone like Doctor Strange is absolutely vital to expanding the lore around everything outside of earth and explaining the gems in greater detail. Of them all, I think Ant-Man stands as the only real oddity because he won't be understood until the movie comes around.

I think that's their largest gamble to date.

I just saw the movie. All things can be done. This will never end. The world is better for it.

I'm just glad The graphics just get better and better. The film seemed more like the in between films like iron man and Thor.There is so much to tell, they have to set things up some how. Plus, they have to save some things for the other films( Black Panther, Civil war , Ant Man, etc).

Another thing is the increased tech. Marvel have to show people that don't know a thing about the comics, what is possible. First we see how smart Stark is, then bring myth and legend to reality, then show how tech advances with Cap'n America, then show how other worldly being exist in Avengers. The greater public have to see and believe this to get them to "invest" money in theatres.

Now that the general public know these things exist in the MCU, it's open season on all stories. Sorry it gets compacted or deleted or altered for those of us that follow comics and good story telling, but all I have to say is, I'll keep buying tickets and the blu-rays as long as Disney don't give Michael Bay the keys.
I still have somewhat a hate for Disney because of them purchasing the Star Wars franchise. But I think Marvel should stick with Disney for now on unless of course you want to see more explosions in a Marvel movie then before. :P

I still have somewhat a hate for Disney because of them purchasing the Star Wars franchise.
Why? They actually intend to make more films. George Lucas just fiddles around with the old ones and then charges full retail price for three minutes' worth of content when he re-releases it.

Watched this yesterday, really enjoyed it as with all of the MCU films.

Not too into the comics but try to read up online where I can to help with my understanding of the characters and plot lines.

I went to the theatre Friday to watch this and had a great time. Marvel is doing a fantastic job of making me want to come back for me. They have me hook, line, and sinker. I am also looking forward to how Agents of Shield is going to tie into the aftermath and if they will handle it as well as they did with The Winter Soldier.

Also, the Star Wars trailer before the movie was awesome (even with having seen it over a dozen times now).

Saw this Friday night. I loved it.

@prisonermonkeys @Jawehawk regarding your issue with SW.

I have two possible explanations why her powers seem to increase as the movie progresses. It could even be a mix of the two.

1) Considering at the end of Winter Soldier she is seen creating energy balls, when we first meet her she is working with her brother, who is very protective of her. They have a strategy: She screws with their heads and then Quicksiler dashes in and delivers a beating. With his speed this might be unnecessary for average humans, but when going against other powered people his speed could possibly be mitigated by someone who is paying attention.

2) If you have seen Agents of SHIELD, people with powers manifest them more strongly when they become emotional. Skye almost took out a city when she got worked up. When they start out they are cocky and confident. She first displays energy balls after they realize Ultron betrayed them. She gets crazy with them after she was overwhelmed by the fight and only went back out after Hawkeye's pep talk. Then when her brother dies she collapses to her knees and sends out a shockwave that knocks everyone away. As the emotions ramped up so did her power display.

So, whether it be necessary strategy at the time, emotional triggers, or a mix of both, I didn't find her abilities to ramp up in a way that seemed odd.

Also, they said they were enhanced by the alien tech. Stricken wouldn't create human weapons that didn't learn as they went. Not using them is not the same as not having them.

I also believe there is a degree of an unspoken origin story in Agents of SHIELD, as Hydra had been experimenting on naturally enhanced individuals to find out how they work, and use that to create a new, enhanced army. They literally cut one into pieces.

@Terronium-12

The "it's because he's a robot" comment about why Vision can wield Mjolnir was meant as a joke. It should be taken as seriously as their accusations that it is a trick using biometrics.

But if you must: The truck was not sentient, but was being controlled by a sentient who was not worthy.

The "it's because he's a robot" comment about why Vision can wield Mjolnir was meant as a joke. It should be taken as seriously as their accusations that it is a trick using biometrics.

But if you must: The truck was not sentient, but was being controlled by a sentient who was not worthy.

Oh, I know it was meant as a joke. I'm just poking fun at that like I did with the coat rack hanger (although I can't remember why I did that one; something to do with it continuously falling through the ground). The whole deal with the truck on the other hand still bugs me because if that were the case wouldn't Mjolnir have fallen through the helicarrier in The Avengers, or better still, prevented it from taking off or plummeting once he got there and set it aside? Surely the several dozen people piloting that aren't worthy? :lol:

On a serious note, can we see the Odinforce already?

I tried to go to the movies on Saturday but it was sold out. So I tried to go to the library but it was closed. So I tried to go to the school library but everyone already graduated last week.

Wat.

I saw the film yesterday. It's quite similar to the original, but I still enjoyed it. And somehow, I managed to stay minimally spoiled before the film. More in depth thoughts below.

For the record, all I knew about the film before seeing it was Ultron being the villain (I didn't know who he was, and him being the villain was obvious regardless), Scarlet Witch being in it (I didn't know who she was and that she's Quicksilver's sister, and I forgot who Quicksilver was), and that Iron Man would use the Hulkbuster suit, though I didn't know when he would. I did see a shot of what the stinger was before I saw the film, but I didn't actually know it was the stinger. This reminds me of what happened when I saw an image of the stinger of Rainbow Rocks before I actually saw the movie. Also, the stinger reminded me of Rainbow Rocks. Also, the stinger sucked.

I loved it when Hulk just punched Ultron away too.

Also, a funny thing happened when I was in the theater. They were showing all the trailer stuff they usually show before the actual movie plays, and they were showing some on some props like Hawkeye's bow and Thor's hammer (And a shot of something from the trailer), and it looked like my dad was covering his ears to invoke the "spoiler filter" (though they weren't spoiling anything major), except he was actually just rubbing his neck.

@Terronium-12 He's. God. It's magic. Stop trying to use logic. Mjolnir just knows what's up and behaves accordingly.

I had my moment when Stark's satellite drops Veronica without any signs of stabilizing adjustments to prevent the sudden force of the bolts blasting and mass difference to not alter its orbital trajectory.

I think I understand why I didn't get the same feeling as Avengers from Age of Ultron.

Torn apart like the movie has been here, I still couldn't fully grasp why Ago of Ultron felt a little disappointing. For me, it all comes down to Loki Vs. Ultron.

In Avengers Assemble we see a down and out Loki rejuvenated by an army provided by Thanos, the big bad that we know waits in the background of all MCU films currently. He is given power and is for a majority of the film, allowed to go about his plan and failing at the end. The film takes us on that journey from significant individuals, to fractured entities to successful teamwork.

Ago of Ultron was always going to struggle with the teamwork already cemented from the first film. you don't just take it away for the sake of a movie, something has to affect it from within. The film does that with Ultron's arrival - brilliant, we even get some Civil War headstart here! The problems then start for me here, as Ultron seemingly neglects half of his abilities in reaching his end-game. Why assume control of all computers worldwide (for instance) when you can make yourself redundant? He does it TWICE with the creation of Vision and in scaring Black Widow with his "tearing through himself" trick... So why not have a backup should the end-game fail? It takes the victory away from the Avengers, they just served almost as rescue aid for the Sokovian citizens. Vision gets the most credit here, but he still feels like yet another mistake by Ultron... And after ALL of that, Thanos finally appears and I don't even like his line! "Fine, I'll do it myself...", so he was just watching events play out? It may be difficult to do, but I would like to see him involved as a background character once more.

I think I understand why I didn't get the same feeling as Avengers from Age of Ultron.

The problems then start for me here, as Ultron seemingly neglects half of his abilities in reaching his end-game.

What are you referring to in particular?

Why assume control of all computers worldwide (for instance) when you can make yourself redundant?

Yet another thing the movie doesn't necessarily make clear, but that is impossible for a few key reasons:

1. His "Prime" body, the one he manufactured to not have any resemblance to the Iron Legion and thus be associated with Tony, was made from better materials than the rest so he could never be redundant as it were.

2. He could transfer his consciousness to any of the bodies at any given moment, just as he did, to serve as a vessel thus further negating any means redundancy. It played to his god complex, so having multiple versions of himself all over the place and integrating himself into the internet would loosely mean he's omnipresent.

He does it TWICE with the creation of Vision and in scaring Black Widow with his "tearing through himself" trick... So why not have a backup should the end-game fail?

Remember, transferring his entire consciousness into what would eventually become Vision's body was his end-goal. He only made a stronger body out of the leftover vibranium because the body had been stolen from him by Widow and Hawkeye, thus him saying whatever doesn't kill him, makes him stronger.

Not as strong as he would have been but stronger nonetheless.

It takes the victory away from the Avengers, they just served almost as rescue aid for the Sokovian citizens.

How so? Ultron was going to kill all of them and just about everyone else.

Vision gets the most credit here, but he still feels like yet another mistake by Ultron...

Interesting. You're right though, creating Vision was a mistake.

And after ALL of that, Thanos finally appears and I don't even like his line! "Fine, I'll do it myself...", so he was just watching events play out?

Yes. That's the type of character Thanos is. Him vowing to be more proactive leading into Infinity War is a little different than how things progress in the books, but is nonetheless right on cue.

It may be difficult to do, but I would like to see him involved as a background character once more.

At this point I would expect things to escalate more and more until it hits the fan. Whether or not it starts with Ant-Man is to be seen, but definitely expect him to play a larger role in Guardians 2.

I'm just miffed that they've pre-empted the end of AOS season 2 a bit...
What with List and von Strucker obviously surviving, at least up until Ultron gets killy.

Also, no Coulson in Age of Ultron. That makes me sad.

Back