The Ball Review

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by Matej, May 22, 2018.

1. Matej

Matej Premium

Orange is good, Orange is round

Ball_I.JPG
    This is a ball. It is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, and large enough to prevent unnecessary flexion of your fingers. I would say it's ideally proportioned for an average hand. You can clutch it as long as you want without stressing your hand.

Because the ball is so light and small, it will never slip out of your hand, which is a problem when holding big balls. If you ever played dodgeball, you understand my concerns and why I mention this. Then again, it's not that you would ever play a game like that with a ball this small, but you never know, people do all kinds of games with tiny balls.

Another advantage of having a small ball like this is that allows the holder of the ball to carry out activities with highest level of control possible. Its moderate elasticity and grippy surface further increase the success rate of task performing. So far our ball is a versatile one.

Ball_II.JPG

There is probably no need to remark on the shape of the ball, but I'm still going to do it, because I'm sure most people don't ever think about it. The ball is rounded. Ask any footballer, how important is to have a round ball. Round is great because you can roll it. No Messi or Ronaldo would ever score a goal if their ball was square, right? Maybe they would, but that would look really silly, running around the field with shapes out of place, right? Besides, objects with sharp edges and points certainly shouldn't fly around at high speed. I'm sure you can tell why.

When it comes to maintenance, every ball requires some, and so does ours. You can clean it by soaking it in alcohol or rubbing it with wet wipes. Decent maintenance program will keep the ball in shape, but won't give it complete disinfection; microscopic irregularities on the surface of the ball are suitable for nesting bacteria that are hard to remove as a result. So I wouldn't recommend giving the ball to a dog or something, because cleaning may prove difficult after it is done chequeing (if you ever get it back, that is). Because that's what dogs do with balls, right, they chew them vigorously. Heaven for them and micro-organisms resting in their teeth, but nightmare for us pedantic cleaners.

If the ball receives a puncture, patching may fix it, but remember this is only a temporary solution. Most of the air will escape by the time you patch it, and even if you do it quickly enough, the ball will gradually lose air because of the surface material. Filling the ball with air won't work either since this one is non-inflatable ball.

One problem about this ball is that you have to consider where it will be stored. As you know, round objects tend to roll all the time, sometimes without any particular reason unless you have support objects that keep it in place. Whatever you do, don't keep it on floor, because that's absolutely the worst thing you can do to your household members who raised you and made sure you had enough money to buy yourself that ball.

Ball_IV.JPG
    Searching for its victim...

But just in case you do decide to be foolish, the ball will employ its own anti-stomping measures. You see, this ball comes in bright orange colour, which is great, because you can spot it easily at night, so there is less risk of causing an accident in rooms with no source of light. But once again, try not to provoke the devil when not needed.

Orange colour also helps with visibility in water, because water is blue, and the ball is orange... you get the idea. The last thing you want to happen to your precious ball while playing catch and throw on open sea is to lose it, I just can't imagine anything worse than this. Try to take extra precaution when playing on a beach or dunes, the colour of the ball blends with hot environment easily, so it's easy to lose sight of it.

I noticed a thin, barely visible line that goes around the ball, never knew what it represents. Maybe if you decide to cut the ball in half for the sake of sharing it with your friend it can serves as a guide or mark where exactly to cut. Well, as long as it doesn't affect its appearance, I don't care how many lines and curves it has.

Ball_III.JPG

Our ball can't be used as a weapon because it is elastic and soft on touch, if you try to smash someone's nose like you could with a basketball, you're going to fail because the ball absorbs great deal of force. It is definitely more useful as a passive, support weapon; it could break some bones if the victim accidentally steps on it (again, don't do it).

Transporting our ball is not a problem. You can use one hand to hold the ball, and the other to do whatever else is needed.

This ball was a gift, so can't say how much it would cost. But if I had to estimate its value, I would say it is worth 2 dollars or something. Perhaps for that price you could buy yourself a bigger ball, but every real player knows the size is not all that matters, right?

2. photonrider

photonrider Premium

I have two; they're great for de-stressing.

One's blue and the other has a maple leaf on it.

3. TB

TB Moderator

You said balls.

[​IMG]

4. TexRex

TexRex

When it comes to stress relief, I tend to prefer three balls.
    I hate Beavis & Butthead.

:grumpy:

:p

5. W3HS

W3HS Premium

That’s cool and all but does your ball have a smiling face? Mine does. And I regularly throw it at small children.

54299B9C-11A8-446F-A1D5-790F5B668EED.jpeg

It also never deflates because it’s foam.

6. photonrider

photonrider Premium

They are all mostly foam - that line on the side Matej is talking about is where they crack the mould - from there it's sent to a trimmer who trims off the collar with an X-acto knife.

How many hands has TexRex got? :boggled:

7. Danoff

Danoff Premium

I have two also, great for de-stressing... not when they're blue though.

Joey D, photonrider and TB like this.
  8. photonrider

photonrider Premium

Never get blue. They're the worst.

The blue ball I got was an awful colour so I dressed it up by putting some continents on it and it looked like Earth, and then when I got stressed (usually at work) I'd take it out and crush the little :censored: like I was just crushing the whole freakin' world and it was good and all for some time, but then with the constant crushing and mauling (and I do some pretty greasy work sometimes) it got really sleazy looking. Workers would come up to me and as soon as I saw them approach I knew I was going to get stressed out and I'd take out my ball and start crushing it and they'd get wild-eyed and start backing off which stressed me out more because they wouldn't tell me the problem then that I was supposed to get stressed-out about.
    Finally it got to the stage where my ball was like it was a ninja - the more stressed I got, the more I wouldn't be able to find it.
    Finally I got a ball with a maple leaf on it, but the blue ball of course reappeared to stress me out again.

(I had a smiley ball like Sean's before but I gave it to a kid once at a playground and the kid wouldn't give it back and started screaming and when I told the mother - who is actually a friend of mine - to get it back for me she started screaming at me for giving my balls to a kid. I really miss that ball and shudder to think what is being done to it.)

Unfortunately, I cut my maple leaf ball some times ago to see what was inside, and now it's in two halves, pretty useless as balls go.
    And, of course, my blue ball is missing again - complimenting Matej's high-visibilty orange ball, basking out there in the OP in all its glory and stressing me out further.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  9. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Yet he spoke of it deflating and being patched. That only applies to an inflataball.

photonrider likes this.
  10. photonrider

photonrider Premium

Actually I had one that was inflatable - but they're very rare. They come in all sorts of 'pressures' though - there's one like silly putty - retains its shape for awhile then slowly comes back to looking like a normal ball again.

The maple leaf ball was pretty firm - which is what me me split it to see why it was a harder ball.

11. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I can only compare mine to memory foam. It’s soft and squishable, light and bouncy. It also feels pleasant when bounced off of ones head.

In my former office I used it as a pillow for afternoon naps and when my chair felt uncomfortable I would rest my back on it as a pillow.

It really is a ball of many talents.

12. photonrider

photonrider Premium

I've done the same - the head-bouncing is quite a power trip. How you use your balls of course is all up to your ingenuity - there's probably many more uses for them than merely mauling it to de-stress.
    Some people actually juggle balls, and there are others who send them flying into holes. The uses are pretty endless.

TexRex likes this.
  13. TexRex

TexRex

[​IMG]

14. photonrider

photonrider Premium

^ This is probably the reason some people have more than two balls.

15. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

I used to own quite the special ball. His name was Hopper and he was quite the trusty steed. We had to deflate him years ago because of his age.

EF5BC35B-EB84-4611-A5A8-360843D046C6.jpeg
    (I actually used to have something like this)

16. Matej

Matej Premium

As far as my room is considered, with a brown parquet and all of the furnitures made of wood (brown), I would actually prefer blue ball over orange, it would be easier to spot. As a matter of fact, any cold colour would nicely mark its presence.

As good de-stressing tool as it may be, it can actually do the opposite, it can put lots of stress on your hand when you play with it for too long.

Foam balls are nice, but they are difficult to maintain. I remember ours from my school, it was always so dirty.

It's just that the head can "slide off" the ball if it's not properly centred. It happens to inexperienced footballers when they stand on the ball with one foot.

Yoga balls are great for sitting on them (it helps with your backbone I think), but again, you have to properly sit on it, and they take up so much space.

photonrider likes this.
  17. kikie

kikie Premium

Can you do a cube review?

photonrider likes this.
  18. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I think a banana would be more interesting.

19. photonrider

photonrider Premium

People would take sides.

Let's keep it all balls.

TenEightyOne and kikie like this.
  20. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Only the squares would react negatively.

21. Matej

Matej Premium

They would need to have the balls to do that.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    kikie likes this.
  22. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I can’t think of anyone round here who has.

23. BobK

BobK Premium

There must be someone within the circle of members who would.

24. Matej

Matej Premium

You'll need to break your balls to find them.

25. kikie

kikie Premium

26. photonrider

photonrider Premium

People have an insane urge to whack at balls.

There was a time a certain bunch of balls was forbidden to ladies - though actually the fact it was forbidden went unnoticed for a time till the ladies realized that gents all over were disappearing only to be found (after some investigation) that these gents were stealing off together to play with their balls.
    Crooked poles and a variety of holes were involved as well too - which really teed-off the ladies.

Obviously, this wasn't something the ladies (of that particular period) could take seated down so they upped and protested about this 'Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden' rule about such balls, and there was much skulking and whining in the bushes around where the holes were. There was probably some stealing of balls.

Finally, the gents, after much walking around and shouting 'Fore!' and 'ouch!' and 'WTF happened to my ball?!" and other expletives to fill up the time walking around after each other's balls, told the ladies that they could also play with balls (and sticks and holes) and now ladies are also allowed to thrash around balls and experiment with lift and drag and velocities and backspin and so on - which was formally the domain of only the gents.

One might even say balls were responsible to an extent in this sort of emancipation.

The balls were usually white, but then they began to be available in colour, too - yellow and orange - and I've heard they even make balls that look like large ladybugs. Ladies tend to like the coloured balls and those that look like ladybugs while gents seem to prefer the ones with very big important corporation logos on them that they whack with varying emotions. Balls with the name 'Titleist' are also very popular for some reason.

Nowadays the sport of 'Golf' (that is what they call it) is played by any and everybody and huge amounts of balls are whacked around and lost everyday. In fact, people collect these lost balls and sell them back to the people who lost them - though I can't help but assume that rarely do people get their own balls back.

Must be an odd job, sometimes, trying to find your own ball.

TexRex and BobK like this.
  27. TexRex

TexRex

Hiyo!

28. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I’ve always been more fond of the slapping of balls, mainly with a paddle. This activity is usually performed while leant over a table. It can really get the old adrenaline going, also very popular in China.

29. kikie

kikie Premium

30. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Those balls of mine were freezing cold.

TexRex, kikie and Silver Arrows like this.