The Bare Necessity - What Do We Really Need?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 93 comments
  • 4,391 views
My first car was a light rwd two door coupe with power nothing besides brakes. It had no power steering but I still loved it. Wish I still had it too.
 
Car in the avatar has a brake booster and a really good heater, the only things I really need. No ABS, no electric windows, a cassette player, no aircon and no power steering. Parallell parking is sometimes a bitch, but the steering feel of a manual rack is superb. I've put 10k miles on it since last October, and I don't miss a thing until I'm driving a new car. The ability to adjust the mirrors from the inside would be nice though, but it's not like I'm crying.
 
My car and I make do without:

  • central locking
  • electric windows
  • a sixth gear
  • air con
  • electric mirrors
  • stability/traction control
  • self esteem

And to be quite honest, the only thing on there I deeply desire is the sixth gear. I'm tired of my ears bleeding all the time.
 
My car and I make do without:

  • central locking
  • electric windows
  • a sixth gear
  • air con
  • electric mirrors
  • stability/traction control
  • self esteem

And to be quite honest, the only thing on there I deeply desire is the sixth gear. I'm tired of my ears bleeding all the time.
But you have 2 utterly pointless rear doors!
 
But you have 2 utterly pointless rear doors!

Oh, that's right!

And every day I moan about their existence, as they remove all possibility of a bespectacled old dear thinking I'm in a sleek green coupe.

Curses!
 
A few months ago, my brother was driving a 2007 Ford Ranger. It was the absolute base model, the only creature comforts it had were a radio and a heater. But the two of us, we loved that car. It was a manual, a 2.3 liter engine, only RWD, and you could spin the tires on a downhill. We almost crashed it once, by my idiot brother trying to see if he could get the tires to squeal IN RAIN, but we drove it everywhere. Not once did we wish for anything more, except for a CD player, or AC. But we made do without, and we had a blast doing everything.

I think that if I had a >2500 Lb car with four doors, a manual, four cylinders, maybe ABS, radio, and a heater, I'd be set to go.
 
Oh, that's right!

And every day I moan about their existence, as they remove all possibility of a bespectacled old dear thinking I'm in a sleek green coupe.

Curses!
Has never failed me in the Almera ;)


Meanwhile my car :-
  • has power steering
  • has power mirrors
  • has an aftermarket CD/Aux in
  • has abs and an airbag!

Need Air-con for about 2 weeks a year.
Power windows would be great but not neccesary.
Central locking would make me less of a gentlemen.
Remote central locking would irradiate my testicals.
Stability program would probably help my tyres on roundabouts.
 
My current car is pretty spartan. It has power brakes and steering, AC, and airbags. That's pretty much it.

I could do without power steering but it would suck major. If a car doesn't have AC or power brakes or seatbelts, I wouldn't be able to drive it.
 
Oh! I forgot I had VTEC from the little-known Type R 0.8 unit.
Good job your sig was there to remind me, Evan. I find all the problems with your car are easily solved by the monster lurking beneath the bonnet.

  • I require no Aircon, my 300 horses are enough to shatter the windscreen at full throttle, allowing me to feel the benefit of a high-power wind stream. I have been approached by several F1 teams who have requested loan of my car for wind tunnel research purposes.
  • I require no electric windows, the aforementioned shattered windscreen means the tiresome need to open windows is a thing of the past.
  • Central locking would be pointless, as anyone trying to pilot my green rocket (which I have now decided is mid-engined) would be unable to handle the sheer torrents of power and would be unable to make an escape. The VTEC system also has an extending branding iron to brand people who have tried in vain to steal it with a "P" for "Pantaloons".
  • Remote central locking is uneccesary, as who can get in or out of my car when I'm travelling over 240mph? No-one, that's who.
  • And finally the stability program would just be unecessary weight, as my VTEC has a special button next to the indicator stalk that actually straightens and road I'm on by bending the laws of physics. It was pretty pricey to have imported from North Korea, but I reckon the extra outlay was worth it. Also my tyres are filled with Nitrous Awesome, not regular air.
 
My daily was like this for a good while (only with a pas. seat), gotta admit it was a little on the spartan side but I could have lived with it in (atleast in the summer year) :)

img607-2Medium.jpg
 
I don't see the point of power locks, especially since nearly all cars have the key fob that does it.

You do realize that the key fob is just a switch for... wait for it... the power lock system.
 
You do realize that the key fob is just a switch for... wait for it... the power lock system.

:lol: Goodness gracious.
 
Bare necessity?

I ran this for a total of 6 years:
before_04.JPG


No radio/speakers, no air conditioning, no power locks (taken out), no ABS, no TCS/ESC and no interior even!

But seriously the only thing I NEED are:
  1. Comfy driver's seat with manual operation
  2. Arm rest for either arm either on the door or on the console
  3. Windows with manual operation
  4. Door locks with manual operation
  5. Mirrors with manual operation
  6. MP3 player (as in ipod and not a radio deck) and some earphones
  7. Power steering

ABS, TCS or ESC are not needed but helpful. As is power windows and a radio. I could LIVE without power steering but wouldn't WANT to.

And that truck rendering you posted YSS is HIDEOUS! The little hatch looks decent.
 
I do a ton of driving in my job...sometimes close to 400 miles a day.My biggest creature comfort that I require is cruise control.Lengthy distances between customers and at the end of my day heading home,it's so nice to just set it on 68 mph and just go.
 
JCE
And that truck rendering you posted YSS is HIDEOUS! The little hatch looks decent.

No to mention, a minimalistic car/truck will not have 19" wheels with zero suspension travel. Especially the truck...it just needs to haul things in the bed with two people inside, or its a joke.
 
No to mention, a minimalistic car/truck will not have 19" wheels with zero suspension travel. Especially the truck...it just needs to haul things in the bed with two people inside, or its a joke.

Agreed. If I was to pick a minimalistic truck, it'd be something like the basic Ford Ranger, essentially everything you need in a truck and nothing you don't. Even the one below seems to have a reasonable spec, although it has a basic, utilitarian charm that I really like.

3528680_1.jpg

3528680_17.jpg


Sure, an F-150 Lightning or something would be nice, but it's not essential. And in the UK you'd ideally have a turbodiesel engine in your truck, for great torque and economy.
 
You do realize that the key fob is just a switch for... wait for it... the power lock system.

Then why do I not have power locks, but still have a key fob for the driver's door?
 
If you can open it remotely they're power locks. If the fob only unlocks your driver door it still means it's power operated, it just only works on one door. Though that's a bit odd I have to admit.
 
If you can open it remotely they're power locks. If the fob only unlocks your driver door it still means it's power operated, it just only works on one door. Though that's a bit odd I have to admit.

Not only that, being able to open both doors with it was an option. Although there are no switches to lock the doors in the interior, which is what I was getting at with "power locks".

eriksmil
Because the men at Ford are stupid.
Fully agreed, in this case.
 
Let's take the notion to its only logical conclusion: do you really even NEED a car?


M

Gaddammit... that's my line! :lol:

The other problem is that small cars have not resonated well with the American public; I think there's that perception that a fully-loaded Ford F150 or school bus is going to careen into you at any moment, and therefore, there's the thought that a small car gets pancaked, unlike a truck or large sedan. There's no concept of energy-absorbent materials or energy dissipation, because few people have studied basic physics, let alone mechanical engineering, so they do not have even the slightest grasp of those concepts. There's mostly a jungle mentality when it comes to the crossing of an elephant and a mouse.

Sure, lots of small cars do sell well, but they'd all gown in size in response to demand. Every two generations, a small car tends to grow up the size of the car that was once a step ahead of it. I always privately called it the "CivAcc-Theory"; as I noted in my youth how the Civic tended to grow to the size and luxury of the Accord within two generations. A whole other smaller generation of cars has returned, and they will probably follow in the same footsteps. Sure, there's the boutique nature of the Smart cars, the past demand for the xB, and other little niche cars, but will they remain popular? If we see rising gas prices, then yes, we might.

Convince people, or a coming generation, that smaller and lighter is better on the wallet, potentially beneficial to the environment, potentially reduces the impact of wastefulness, can potentially increase the enjoyment of driving, and then success for smaller cars may abound. Or...just tax the heck out of everyone with a truck or SUV or barge with an arbitrary weight cap, and you'll merely see more angry owners, who will then add a one-ounce bumper sticker, bitching about the said levy. With capitalism being the ultimate vote, their sales (in addition to their actual usefulness) will not wane if demand still exists.

The biggest disappointment of my motoring life in the past year is that the Honda Fit has grown up.

The second biggest disappointment is that first-generation 1.5 manual transmission variants only goes on sale here secondhand for brief flashes of time before they're snapped up. One day, one of those will be mine.

-


My bare necessity list is this:

Manual climate control (because, let's face it... cleaning the inside of the windshield by hand is not just inconvenient... it's downright dangerous)
Manual side mirror adjustment stalks (so you don't have to roll down the window to adjust the passenger mirror)
Power brakes, switchable ABS
Power steering

That's on top of the standard kit we take for granted... windshield wipers, turn signals, headlights and tail-lights, a roof, five point seatbelts (wait... that isn't standard?), a spare tire and a tool kit.

I can and I have driven without power steering... and it isn't absolutely necessary, but it makes driving safer if you don't have to wrestle with the wheel... especially if you're driving a large vehicle. Let's face it... we're not all driving Miatas. :lol:

Power brakes, again, not strictly necessary, but good from a safety standpoint... ABS shoudl be defeatable because most ABS systems are rubbish in the dirt.

Power windows... the only window you ever need to roll down is your own. Power locks... the same...

Radios... I can take em' or leave them. Given that most people change out their head-unit, anyway, selling a car without a radio isn't such a big deal.

And that's it. Some of the best times I've had in a car have been in a banger with a four or five speed stick with a rental car interior. I still look longingly in the papers at secondhand "bare" units for sale. While I do love the modern conveniences that come with these new models with their automatic dual/quad zone climate control, six speed autos, ESP and automatic everything... I still love an old car with character... something that's increasingly rare in automobiles, nowadays.

-

If you go down the minimalist route (not as far minimalist as M-Spec suggests, though... :lol: ) and go for the Radical SR8 or a Caterham Seven... you're missing the point of owning a car.

A car is meant to get you and a specific number of companions and possibly luggage from one place to another in reasonable comfort and safety.

If your only aim is to get yourself from point A to point B as quickly as possible, and you're not worried about arriving soaked in sweat, rain or mud... or at least have your office clothes or uniform wrapped up in a waterproof bag in the seat beside you... and you don't need room to carry more than a backpack... then a motorcycle or bicycle is probably what you want.

And they're easier to park, insure, maintain and purchase than a Caterham... to boot.
 
Last edited:
Agreed. If I was to pick a minimalistic truck, it'd be something like the basic Ford Ranger, essentially everything you need in a truck and nothing you don't. Even the one below seems to have a reasonable spec, although it has a basic, utilitarian charm that I really like.

3528680_1.jpg

3528680_17.jpg


Sure, an F-150 Lightning or something would be nice, but it's not essential. And in the UK you'd ideally have a turbodiesel engine in your truck, for great torque and economy.

That interior's been the same for 10 years.
 
Agreed. If I was to pick a minimalistic truck, it'd be something like the basic Ford Ranger, essentially everything you need in a truck and nothing you don't. Even the one below seems to have a reasonable spec, although it has a basic, utilitarian charm that I really like.

I've just resprayed one of those. Very nice indeed. Didn't seem particularly spartan... (cue 300 jokes)
 
Agreed. If I was to pick a minimalistic truck, it'd be something like the basic Ford Ranger, essentially everything you need in a truck and nothing you don't. Even the one below seems to have a reasonable spec, although it has a basic, utilitarian charm that I really like.

3528680_1.jpg

3528680_17.jpg


Sure, an F-150 Lightning or something would be nice, but it's not essential. And in the UK you'd ideally have a turbodiesel engine in your truck, for great torque and economy.

Right on. That base model Ranger actually has a nice little charm to it. I do enjoy driving them.

That interior's been the same for 10 years.

And none of the 10,000's of owner's complain. If it isn't broke don't fix it. :D
 
Yep. I just hope they changed some of the steering wheel button materials because my Mom's explorer's is bubbling and shriveling off.
 
Agreed. If I was to pick a minimalistic truck, it'd be something like the basic Ford Ranger, essentially everything you need in a truck and nothing you don't. Even the one below seems to have a reasonable spec, although it has a basic, utilitarian charm that I really like.
*pics*
Sure, an F-150 Lightning or something would be nice, but it's not essential. And in the UK you'd ideally have a turbodiesel engine in your truck, for great torque and economy.

That's the exact model that we were rolling around in, except in black. And we didn't need a 5.1 speaker system.
 
Things I need:
-CD player
-Adjustable seats

That's about it. What I've ended up with;
-CD player
-Steering wheel controls
-USB slot
-Bluetooth Windows Mobile system with voice activation and wheel control
-Air conditioning
-Glass roof
-Trip computer
-Text message reader
-Automatic interior lighting
-Remote central locking
-Heated electric mirrors
-Electric windows
-Power steering
-City steering
-Eco:Drive add on
-MP3 media player

My old car had none of those and I only use some of them once every 6 months or so. The text reader just gets annoying and the Bluetooth system is fairly flawed.
 
Back