The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

• Thread starter jammyozzy
  • 400 comments
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7306123.stm

BBC News
Formula One to return to BBC TV

Hamilton's battle with Ferrari will be on the BBC from next year

The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula One in the UK from the 2009 season.

The five-year deal marks the return of the sport to BBC screens 12 years after ITV began broadcasting Grands Prix.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said: "I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC.

"It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

The deal covers all platforms and will see F1 broadcast on the BBC Sport website, as well as on TV and radio.

Dominic Coles, BBC Sport director of sport rights, said: "The biggest motorsporting event in the world is returning home after 12 years.

"We were delighted when Bernie Ecclestone approached us about the return of F1 to the BBC.

"F1 is a crown jewel of sports broadcasting, so to bring the rights back to their traditional home from 2009 is tremendously exciting.

"Fans will be able to enjoy uninterrupted, state of the art and innovative coverage from BBC Sport, across all of our TV, radio and new media platforms, for the first time since 1996."

I've gotta run so apologies for my lack of comment, I figured some of you would find this interesting.

Yeah, just saw this news on autosport.com. Will be great to have uninterrupted coverage again like it used to be. I only started watching F1 when I was younger in the ITV days (97, 98, etc.) so I've been used to the ad breaks. Having uninterrupted coverage again will be great.

Any ideas on who will commentate? Wonder if they'll retain Allen and Brundle. Though quite a few people will be against the former one :lol: I wouldn't mind having Charlie Cox. He did a great job commentating on the BTCC when it was on BBC, and still does covering MotoGP.

Also, there's one thing I'd like to see the BBC bring back - "The Chain" :P

EDIT: Here's a reminder of Charlie Cox's commentating skills:

Terrific news! 👍 I've always disliked the ITV presentation, particularly for the incessant ad breaks (they don't even bother to splice back in the bits they miss in the 'as-live' repeats for races that take place in the middle of the night)... and that ridiculous opening sequence!? (which is practically the same as last year - except now with more Hamilton), and of course - James Allen :ill:

Great great news!! Can't wait 👍 Means there's hope that I can have some decent commentators again. Flemish commentators are simply abismal ...

Great news for F1 and F1 fans particularly. I've never enjoyed the ITV coverage, it's stop-start which doesn't work with F1.

Yay! Lets hope that the c*ck has been stopped.

Can we keep Brundle, though?

Heard this on the radio this morning. Great news. No more ad breaks, hopefully no more James 'the ****' Allen. Keep Brundle, Blundell and Louise Goodman, drop Ted 'the second, more arrogant ****' Kravitz and dropping Steve 'gray' Rider would be no loss either.

I do like Charlie Cox, but he commentates on the BBC's MotoGP coverage and i'd personally like to see him stick to doing that.

Bring back Murray Walker!!!!

"The Chain" is F1 to me. Probably showing my age a bit there :lol:

Happy days. I share in the hope that James Allen will not survive the move, but at the very least we will now not have to put up with ITV not bothering to cover the often critical parts of a race they miss out for the damn adverts.

Scaff

Excellent news 👍 I hate those damn ITV adverts .. will be wicked to be able to watch a Grand Prix from start to finish again without bloomin tesco adverts and andrex and any other tripe that pays a few quid for a slot to make us miss the action :)

Good riddance :cheers:

So are they taking the ITV F1 crew with them? Like Martin Brundle? ....also I don't want bloody Suzy Perry being the pit woman :indiff:

If the BBC take the same approach as their coverage of wimbledon you should be able (using the red button) to listen to pit radio and view individual driver cameras throughout the race!

I thought it was just me who didn't like James Allen :sly:

as long as the BBC don't over do the Hamilton stuff like ITV did last season, race after race after race saying the same thing over and over again was really annoying.

I wonder if Bernie is looking to reintroduce the interactive features that were on Sky

I thought it was just me who didn't like James Allen :sly:

as long as the BBC don't over do the Hamilton stuff like ITV did last season, race after race after race saying the same thing over and over again was really annoying.

They are actually ruining it taking about Hamilton all the bloody time, yes he's good but jesus can you leave it at that!....They are acting like he is already as successful as Schumacher or something!

Haha I must be the only one that likes James Allen. Can't wait for uninterrupted races again, will be interesting to see how they handle pre race buildup as this is something I think ITV did a pretty good job with.

Yay! Lets hope that the c*ck has been stopped.

Can we keep Brundle, though?

I bought the T-shirt. :)

hopefully no more James 'the ****' Allen.

Bring back Murray Walker!!!!

"The Chain" is F1 to me. Probably showing my age a bit there :lol:

I bought the T-shirt. :) And, uh, the album. :)

I bought the album, don't you know. :)

Thank god, no more adverts and hopefully no more James Allen... Always hoped it'd return to the BBC. Brilliant news.

Shame I don't have a TV, really.

And that F1 is a bit dull. Although I'm told this last race was (what were their words exactly...) "quite exciting".

Wow! Quite exciting!

On the subject of Murray, he had been asked if he was going to come back, said he hadn't been asked to come back yet but if he does he'd have to think long and hard about it as it'd be a pretty big decision for him.

The BBC's five-year deal, across TV, radio and online, begins next March and will end 12 years of televised race coverage on ITV.

ITV is currently three years into its own five-year contract but said it had decided to end the arrangement for "commercial" reasons.

The article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7306835.stm

Sounds like MP's think that the licence fee should be spent on "real sports rather than the wealthy industry of Formula One".

And in its entirety

The bit the BBC used for the F1 theme tune starts at 3'35.

In my top five favorite bass lines with Green Eyed Lady, Roundabout, Another One Bites the Dust, and Dragon Attack. :)

Back