The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by jammyozzy, Mar 20, 2008.

1. jammyozzy

jammyozzy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7306123.stm

I've gotta run so apologies for my lack of comment, I figured some of you would find this interesting.

2. nitro_2005

nitro_2005

Yeah, just saw this news on autosport.com. Will be great to have uninterrupted coverage again like it used to be. I only started watching F1 when I was younger in the ITV days (97, 98, etc.) so I've been used to the ad breaks. Having uninterrupted coverage again will be great.

Any ideas on who will commentate? Wonder if they'll retain Allen and Brundle. Though quite a few people will be against the former one :lol: I wouldn't mind having Charlie Cox. He did a great job commentating on the BTCC when it was on BBC, and still does covering MotoGP.

Also, there's one thing I'd like to see the BBC bring back - "The Chain" :p

EDIT: Here's a reminder of Charlie Cox's commentating skills:

3. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

Terrific news! :tup: I've always disliked the ITV presentation, particularly for the incessant ad breaks (they don't even bother to splice back in the bits they miss in the 'as-live' repeats for races that take place in the middle of the night)... and that ridiculous opening sequence!? (which is practically the same as last year - except now with more Hamilton), and of course - James Allen :sick:

4. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Premium

Great great news!! Can't wait :tup: Means there's hope that I can have some decent commentators again. Flemish commentators are simply abismal ...

5. Sureboss

Sureboss Premium

Great news for F1 and F1 fans particularly. I've never enjoyed the ITV coverage, it's stop-start which doesn't work with F1.

6. daan

daan Moderator

Yay! Lets hope that the c*ck has been stopped.

Can we keep Brundle, though?

7. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Heard this on the radio this morning. Great news. No more ad breaks, hopefully no more James 'the ****' Allen. Keep Brundle, Blundell and Louise Goodman, drop Ted 'the second, more arrogant ****' Kravitz and dropping Steve 'gray' Rider would be no loss either.

I do like Charlie Cox, but he commentates on the BBC's MotoGP coverage and i'd personally like to see him stick to doing that.

Bring back Murray Walker!!!!

"The Chain" is F1 to me. Probably showing my age a bit there :lol:

8. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

Happy days. I share in the hope that James Allen will not survive the move, but at the very least we will now not have to put up with ITV not bothering to cover the often critical parts of a race they miss out for the damn adverts.

Scaff

9. Famine

Famine Administrator

Me too.

*is glad the sticky thread has the words "a driver" in it*

10. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

So Bernie approached the the BBC? Maybe he watched ITV's coverage of the Aussie GP..

11. <_Spike_>

<_Spike_>

Thank god, no more adverts and hopefully no more James Allen... Always hoped it'd return to the BBC. Brilliant news.

12. daan

daan Moderator

13. Mr P

Mr P

Excellent news :tup: I hate those damn ITV adverts .. will be wicked to be able to watch a Grand Prix from start to finish again without bloomin tesco adverts and andrex and any other tripe that pays a few quid for a slot to make us miss the action :)

Good riddance :cheers:

14. Robin

Robin Premium

So are they taking the ITV F1 crew with them? Like Martin Brundle? ....also I don't want bloody Suzy Perry being the pit woman :indiff:

If the BBC take the same approach as their coverage of wimbledon you should be able (using the red button) to listen to pit radio and view individual driver cameras throughout the race!

15. Gaz Vonhammer

Gaz Vonhammer

I thought it was just me who didn't like James Allen :sly:

as long as the BBC don't over do the Hamilton stuff like ITV did last season, race after race after race saying the same thing over and over again was really annoying.

I wonder if Bernie is looking to reintroduce the interactive features that were on Sky

16. Robin

Robin Premium

They are actually ruining it taking about Hamilton all the bloody time, yes he's good but jesus can you leave it at that!....They are acting like he is already as successful as Schumacher or something!

17. Only_in_f1

Only_in_f1

Here Here!

18. KSaiyu

KSaiyu (Banned)

Haha I must be the only one that likes James Allen. Can't wait for uninterrupted races again, will be interesting to see how they handle pre race buildup as this is something I think ITV did a pretty good job with.

19. Venari

Venari Premium

I bought the T-shirt. :)

I bought the T-shirt. :) And, uh, the album. :)

I bought the album, don't you know. :)

Shame I don't have a TV, really.

And that F1 is a bit dull. Although I'm told this last race was (what were their words exactly...) "quite exciting".

Wow! Quite exciting!

20. <_Spike_>

<_Spike_>

On the subject of Murray, he had been asked if he was going to come back, said he hadn't been asked to come back yet but if he does he'd have to think long and hard about it as it'd be a pretty big decision for him.

21. Only_in_f1

Only_in_f1

22. Gaz Vonhammer

Gaz Vonhammer

was just reading the above link and can't believe it's already been 12 years on ITV.

23. Only_in_f1

Only_in_f1

The article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7306835.stm

Sounds like MP's think that the licence fee should be spent on "real sports rather than the wealthy industry of Formula One".

24. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Whats "The Chain"?

25. Studentdriver

Studentdriver

Uh...exsqueeze me?

[/Wayne]

26. Only_in_f1

Only_in_f1

:eek: The original song.

27. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac (from the album "Rumours")...

It's not the best album in the world... but then again, 99.995% of albums are worse

28. daan

daan Moderator

And in its entirety

The bit the BBC used for the F1 theme tune starts at 3'35.

29. Duratec

Duratec

This is great news, i hope Brundle and Blundell will tag along aswell :tup:.

30. Studentdriver

Studentdriver

In my top five favorite bass lines with Green Eyed Lady, Roundabout, Another One Bites the Dust, and Dragon Attack. :)