The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

• Thread starter jammyozzy
  • 400 comments
BBC promises to revolutionize F1 coverage

Autosport
The BBC plans to use all the latest technology to redefine the way that F1 fans view the sport - which will include live streaming of the races on the internet and mobile phones, plus the possibility of races being broadcast in high definition.

Dominic Coles, the BBC's director of sports right, told the Times: "It will be the Martini approach to Grands Prix. You can watch it any time, any place, anywhere."

Please god let the live internet streaming be available internationally.

Why all the votes for Blundell? The man is illiterate! "Well, to be far, what eee dun woz ee crashed, nah I dun fink he wanned a do vat." I'd keep Brundle and Kravitz, and point the rest of them at the Job Centre.

^^ Well spoken, Id definately keep Brundle. Kravitz is also decent enough, I like his voice. But its Brundle that needs to be kept. If I have no more brundle, I might as well stop watching F1.

i hope they dont ruin it with a clueless nobody like the wrc is these days lol
be great to have it without ad breaks! tho it was useful to nip to the bog or make a cuppa lol

Why all the votes for Blundell? The man is illiterate! "Well, to be far, what eee dun woz ee crashed, nah I dun fink he wanned a do vat." I'd keep Brundle and Kravitz, and point the rest of them at the Job Centre.

Kravitz will do BTCC for ITV. I'd like to see Brundle go to BBC but ive heard Gary Lineker will front it as he has a massive deal with the BBC and I believe that the BBC lost the FA cup and England games form late 2008 (Although I think im wrong) he will need something to do. He does the golf so..

I think they will bring former drivers into it. I think Hill & Mansell will have some sort of input maybe Murray. Suzie Perry maybe. As some have said Hammond i've just read this:

'Coverage will take on the style of Top Gear, with co-presenters Jeremy Clarkson and James May also involved.'

What about Steve Rider. He left BBC to resume an F1 post he left years before now he'll be left with only Champions Leauge to front. Jim Rosenthal back to front f1? Although he said '"Covering Formula One has been an amazing time for me and I've really enjoyed the sport, but I don't think I ever made a secret of the fact that football is my first love."' When he left in 2006.

Gabby Logan?

Or maybe someone who nobody expects.

If nothing else, Hammond would know what he's talking about which is a bonus.

I'm not sure that that's right. Hammond isn't actually that interested in F1 is he? I know he drove the Renault R26 last year, but I didn't get the feeling that he was into the sport. I can't see Hill and Mansell doing it, simply because they're the dullest people ever.

I think they might port over the commentary team from 5 Live, which would be fine with me, based on the 5 Live podcast.

I can't see Hill and Mansell doing it, simply because they're the dullest people ever.

That's a little unfair on Damon. The problem is that unless his world is moving at more than 150mph, his pulse barely registers.

Nah Damon seems so uncharismatic (when he's standing still!).... he's kind of ended up in the golfing set, kinda talks really softly and slowly and his commentary would put me to sleep..

I really hope BBC take the ITV team, particularly Brundle..

Robin

Hope this isn't old news:

Formula 1 will hit the BBC air waves in 2009 after a long run on ITV. The move will require new figureheads to sit at the desk, and London's Times has said that Top Gear's Richard Hammond is the top man for the job. Economics at least partially drove ITV's decision to withdraw from F1 coverage. The coverage is expensive, so making money is challenging, even with newly rising star Lewis Hamilton making F1 more interesting for UK viewers.

Hammond's presence might help broaden the appeal beyond just racing fans, as would guest appearances by Jeremy Clarkson and James May, Hammond's cohorts on Top Gear. Letting Clarkson and May prowl the paddock could offer priceless moments of color commentary that would set YouTube alight. The BBC also plans to update the look, feel and pace of its coverage, and fans will be able to get at the presentation more easily with races going out across broadband digital outlets in addition to the standard radio and television.

Now I have to get the main BBCs. :D

In all honestly I really wouldn't want F1 having a top gear style.... it would just be a total piss take, can you imagine Clarkson doing the pit walk :lol:

It should be professional and serious... like it is now..

Robin

In all honestly I really wouldn't want F1 having a top gear style.... it would just be a total piss take, can you imagine Clarkson doing the pit walk :lol:

Robin

I completely agree.

I don’t know about everyone else but whenever I see one of those segments produced clearly for people who know absolutely zip about the sport I cringe. Please give us the professional coverage the sport deserves.

steve ryder has done a decent job for itv, he used to front F1 on bbc ages ago. I just hope the bbc keep the addons or have similar like itv did. Plenty on analaysis after the race. Features on Brundle driving a car but not on such novice level, Blundell doin a training day with kimi a few years ago was interesting etc etc

Yeh, the Top Gear thing works on Top Gear, but wouldn't be well suited for a live sport broadcast. Still, it would be great to see "A Star in a Reasonably Priced Car"... *cough* Alonso *cough*

:lol: It's certainly better than it was, though...

60108445jm3.jpg

31565557bp1.jpg

38382585hs5.jpg

Im sick of hearing how awesome Button was to go from 53rd on the grid to 49th in 5 laps.

Same goes for hamilton who is a great driver for sure, but im just sick and tired of hearing it over and over and over...

Brundle is good, but i hope they find another dude to fill James Allan's spot, preferebly someone without the button/hamilton bias. so we can actually hear how the other 20 drivers are going.

Im sick of hearing how awesome Button was to go from 53rd on the grid to 49th in 5 laps.

Same goes for hamilton who is a great driver for sure, but im just sick and tired of hearing it over and over and over...

Brundle is good, but i hope they find another dude to fill James Allan's spot, preferebly someone without the button/hamilton bias. so we can actually hear how the other 20 drivers are going.

You're always going to get a 'British Driver' bias from a British TV commentary team aren't you? The programmes are aimed at a British audience, even if they get broadcast to other English speaking countries.

You're always going to get a 'British Driver' bias from a British TV commentary team aren't you? The programmes are aimed at a British audience, even if they get broadcast to other English speaking countries.

Exactly. There is always driver bias from the commentators on any broadcast.

No. We almost always have the ITV broadcast. We usually do our own for the Aussie GP and it’s always inexcusably poorly done so I’m glad they leave it to the professionals.

We have our own pre-race and post-race stuff, but it’s really lame too.

Back