The Beautiful Engine Picture Thread

• Thread starter Dead_Poetic
  • 236 comments
Point is raising yet another awesome engine, simply related to your post - bike-engined Sevens.

139-3980_img.jpg

And there's also the Cyclone bike-V8:

139-3971_img.jpg

139-3972_img.jpg

I think it's a radial.

Well, it's no inline for sure :P

It doesn't seem to have the proper mechanism for the whole engine to rotate, so it probably isn't a full radial. But, I can't say much without more info...

Is that a European Tractor puller? Cuz I've think I've seen that one before.

Judging by the pure insanity, it must be one. Looks like a puller...

Well, it's no inline for sure :P

It doesn't seem to have the proper mechanism for the whole engine to rotate, so it probably isn't a full radial. But, I can't say much without more info...

You're thinking of a Rotary Piston engine. Radials had the same layout, but the crank rotated instead of the entire engine. Rotary Piston engines went out of style in WWI, while Radials continued on in light aircraft well into the '60s

Judging by the pure insanity, it must be one. Looks like a puller...

Yeah, I did a search on "Pulling tractors" and found that Beaut of a Brute.

You're thinking of a Rotary Piston engine. Radials had the same layout, but the crank rotated instead of the entire engine. Rotary Piston engines went out of style in WWI, while Radials continued on in light aircraft well into the '60s

Oh, yeah :embarrassed:

Definitely looks like a Radial. Monster thing...

Crop dusters and many utility planes still use radials, as they have a better frontal surface area for cooling.

Is that monster in the Tractor one of those multibanked Chrysler engines?

I seriously haven't a clue. I was thinking it was one of those big bomber engines.

It doesn't look like one. The Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major was one of the biggest radials EVER, but it had 4 rows of cylinders, and the banks weren't straight, for cooling purposes. That one looks watercooled.

HOORAY FOR IVO! :D

HAH. Ivo's quad-engined Buick! (Showtime?)

and a Mustang I dont' recognize.

yupyup :D
pretty much all built by one guy
Gary Weckesser's four wheel-drive Mustang, which mounted four 351 Clevelands in a Kent Fuller chassis. Named the Mach IV, this car match-raced the Wagon Master at least once in 1970 before disappearing.
p86530_large+1969_Ford_Mustang_Mach_IV+Front_Driver_Side.jpg

p86532_large+1969_Ford_Mustang_Mach_IV+Top_Engine_Bay.jpg

the only multi-engined car in the world to run four engines with power to all four wheels through a single clutch apparently :dopey:

What do you do when you need 5,500 HP? one Turbo? Two Turbos?

How about four?

CaterpillarC175_V1I3PG.jpg

And It's still an ACERT. It's Eco-friendly(er) to boot!

Some big loco diesels I missed earlier.

Baldwin 608A
608A1951.jpg

Fairbanks-Morse 38D-8
30c.jpg

It's a Genset, think it goes into a building, for emergency power. You could put it into a locomotive, too.

The factory says it's rated for 2-4 Megawatts for that particular Genset.

Oddly enough, CAT just lets Komatsu get the "Worlds' Biggest" titles. We have a lot more money to make in the pretty big, but not so big there isn't much of a market machine market.

((We do have World's Biggest Mechanical Drive Off-Highway Dump Truck. Komatsu's bigger truck is a diesel-electric, as was the Terex Titan and Leibherr truck. And our Track-Type Tractors {"Bulldozers"} are the only ones with raised sprockets, and again the D-11 is second only to Komatsu.))

I have yet to see an engine/engine compartment better looking than the Chicayne's:

chi_30.jpg

chi_59.jpg

in the car it looks even better, vene if the car is pretty ugly; 1,200 hp 408 ci small block with two turbos:

0312_05z+1962_Chevrolet_Biscayne+Engine.jpg

this is the car:
0312_02z+1962_Chevrolet_Biscayne+Front_Passenger_Side.jpg

Did a search in the thread to see if it'd been posted so far, but apparently not:

The Alfa Romeo V6:
Alfa156V6Manual_Engine_01_lg.jpg

And one with some mighty intake trumpets:
alfa156illmonstro38v602js8.jpg

Last edited:
:lol: Whoops. I did think it strange that nobody had posted already, but really I should have looked through the thread first instead of just posting...

Back