The biggest problem with GT5 that nobody talks about.

  • Thread starter Thread starter paskowitz
  • 121 comments
  • 11,969 views
One improvement in GT5 that I have not seen mentioned here (and a regular critisism of past GT games) is that the tracks appear less sterile.

EDIT: Perhaps I should have read more of this thread:

One of my major gripes about previous GT games is how the tracks felt sterile and dead, the tracks lacked any sort of atmosphere. They have changed the game considerably to counteract that. I agree they could go further, but I have to say I'm still impressed with what they have now, the day/night transitions are spectacular.

More dynamic environments would be nice but it is not a game breaking flaw. I believe some environment issues that could be fixed are:

- plastic tape - it doesn't have to behave like a brick wall
- constricted run-of areas - for example, the Top Gear Test Track needs bigger run-off areas. Hitting an invisible wall so close to the edge of the track really breaks the realism and immersion

However, trees swaying, birds flying and bugs splatting on bodywork - although nice - are not essential. Memory constraints mean this is pretty much impossible on the PS3. PD have made steps forward with more dynamic environments and effects and I believe they have made the right compromises given the memory constraints. They have added skidmarks, realistic tyre smoke, reverse lights, head lights, rain and dynamic lighting. GT5 has bigger issues with the fundamentals of the game at present and the last thing PD need to add are more fine details.
 
Last edited:
However, trees swaying, birds flying and bugs splatting on bodywork - although nice - are not essential. Memory constraints mean this is pretty much impossible on the PS3. PD have made steps forward with more dynamic environments and effects and I believe they have made the right compromises given the memory constraints. They have added skidmarks, realistic tyre smoke, reverse lights, head lights, rain and dynamic lighting. GT5 has bigger issues with the fundamentals of the game at present and the last thing PD need to add are more fine details.

I agree.

PD made great strides in the graphical details overall and in the details you listed.

However, it appears that it has come at the great cost of the quality and quantity of content.

JMO but their priorities should be somewhere other, than Birds and bees in 3D.

This game already reminds me of the saying: "all dressed up and no place to go".
 
Back