The biggest problem with GT5 that nobody talks about.

  • Thread starter Thread starter paskowitz
  • 121 comments
  • 11,969 views
This is paskowitz's thread, and he quite clearly wanted to bring up the subject of environmental immersion.

I suggest you all respect his wishes and stick to that topic. If you all want to complain about other things, they have their own threads. Thank you.
 
Geez some people want the world for $59 lol I am grateful for what we have thankyou PD
When consumers of a product become satisfied, improvements stop. We all want the game to get better, not stagnant. The original complaint about 2-dimensional trees and grass that looks like green concrete was a valid improvement suggestion, as is having some new courses to race on.
 
The 24hr nurburgring layout really blew me away the first time I saw it, I have to agree with you honestly.

The sterility of the tracks and all that, their petrified flawlessness, has always sort of been a part of the visual aesthetic of GT. More a design choice than happenstance, I've always firmly believed. If this thread had popped up a while back I would have disagreed with it on that basis, as I don't want GT to stop feeling like GT, but that Nurburgring layout was enough to convince me that they could pull it off and maintain the feel.

It's definitely not something I'm going to complain about outright, but it's something I would really appreciate seeing in the future. I'm sure it's too much to hope for via patches (I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for some absent tracks to pop up) but maybe in another game. I can definitely live without it, but I do agree it could add a great deal to the game. Moreso than damage, premium cars or adjustable gear ratios in my opinion :p
 
If you are on this site there is a 99% you think GT5 is great, and it is. However, it is not extraordinary. It has flaws. What a shock. Most of these are actually not all that critical, they are just spotted everywhere. Some have been fixed with a couple megabytes of patches. The most obvious are the blocky shadows and smoke aliasing. It’s pretty hard not to notice sitting next what is a stunning game. But in the end they do not ruin the experience.

While observing the game yesterday I found a flaw that I do not think anyone has mentioned or at least in the detail I am about to. Also, I am in no way saying that I expected any of what I am about to say to be in GT5. That would be crazy.

GT5 implemented new smoke effects. They are very nice. If you kick up smoke it has a weight that has been missing for years in the series. It even blows in the wind. And this has lead me to what I think to be one of the biggest visual and immersive flaws in GT5.

Besides the smoke and a few bits of grass, nothing else in the game's environments reacts and acts naturally. And besides the time of day the environmental effects are more on/off. All grass moves. It is not a flat texture. Trees sway in the wind and are more than just two pieces of cardboard stuck together. Snow whips up from the ground and builds up as time passes. Rain is more than a blotch on the windshield and pools where there are changes of surface. Also snow and rain are simply filters put over a screen with added volumetric effects. This may seem like a trivial matter but it is not.

The cars in GT5 are near flawless. But the environments and their lack of effects do not hold up. I feel like the world I am in is static, lifeless. There is no life. There are no birds flying across the sky. No sun glare off of the car in front of me. The 24hr layout of The Ring is the most convincing track because it has life to it. I can't believe I am saying this but it is the smoke from people grilling outside their tents. Like Kaz said, you can almost smell the BBQ. This brings me into the moment.

For the next GT, PD need to think real hard what they want to accomplish. They have a tremendous opportunity to work with the next hardware and create something that is truly extraordinary. Imagine a world where the crowd changed as the race when on. People moved about in the off track area. The clouds, sun, shadows all changed. Bugs hit your windshield and your car got dirty over the course of the race. Imagine racing up Spa and suddenly a plume of fog engulfed the track. Or experiencing a white out at Chamonix. Small waves hitting the port at Monaco. I miss things like the moving crowd on the Gran Canyon track in GT4. Things like this make me feel like I am experiencing something real.

This is what takes out of the world you are in and fools your mind into thinking what you are doing is real. GT5 offers moments of this. In fact it does it better than almost any other game. NFS Shift was not bad, but overdone. It is the essence of what GT is and it is what the next game needs to improve.


If you read all that give yourself a pat on the back.

To all those who are pointing out that the PS3 can only handle so much and has a ancient GPU... really I did not know that tell me more ;). I am not saying I expected PD to do all this. I did not say I was disappointed in GT5 because it does not have X, Y and Z. I am simply pointing out a flaw that I believe is very valid. If you read the entire post you would understand that this is more a statement of what PD should work on for the next game if it is on new hardware.

What you're describing is effectively the next generation of graphics, or at least half of it.

For the most part, current AAA titles have been stuck at 2004 graphics; never making it beyond what Valve set out with Half Life 2. The reason for that is because it's just as much a design problem as a graphical problem. Designing the tracks and locations to feel like they're a part of something bigger (people's reactions to City 17 v the fact that you only see 3 corridors and a building of it), as well as the animators bringing life to it's content (facial animation of Alyx and the citizens is why HL2 age extremely well).

There was an interview with the head of Crytek (crytek being famous for making eyeball-melting pretty games and army sims), about what they were doing for the next version of the game engine. They said they wanted to be able to give life to a world; the plants and animals that we see every day but take for granted, because they make the world that much more believable and natural, which is useful for bringing the player into the game.

Some things for other genres that are going to define next-gen graphics are sub-surface scattering (below) and realtime procedural generation for non-crucial assets.
post-687031-1287002474.jpg


Of course, there are going to be limits.

WARNING SPECULATION AHEAD

Now that the PS3 is snowballing and making SONY lots of golds to hide in their vault, they'll be working on the PS4 pretty hard by now so that they can keep some momentum. Exactly what architecture it has, nobody outside sony knows, but for this example I'll go with something not entirely impossible.

Say it comes out 2012, and the world doesn't end. Judging by the similar specs (relative to the PS3's release date), it could come equipped with a nVidia 600GTX or similar (remember that speculation warning above), and hopefully, an evolution of the cell broadband engine, maybe 12 or 16 spu's instead of 7 or 8 which it has now. Maybe 4Gig of ram, split evenly so half is VRAM.

Even then it's going to have pretty severe limits. The realism and beauty is still going to drop off at a rate proportional to the distance of the object from the camera; no matter the year there's still going to be lower quality stuff further away from the camera and high-quality stuff that's always on-screen (like your car).

The CPU monster could handle the GT5 photomode cars in realtime, maybe 24 of them (maybe more). The massive increase in RAM could handle all the extra AI, as well as massively more complex (and faster) physics and other simulations. Much better trees, spectators, shadows, etc. All animated (preferably by a group of animators kidnapped from Naughty Dog).


For now though, there's not much that can be done. Shadows will probably be improved as time goes by and they find those last few %.
But, provided the gains in PC gaming keep coming the way they do, the next generation of consoles are going to be absolute beasts.

Of course I could be wrong, developers and publishers and manufacturers decide to sit on their hands and make generic fps clones hoping they'll be the next halo or cod and bank of the current wealth of people thinking that their multiplatform console shooters are graphically impressive in any way hatsoever, which means that only a handful of PC-only developers get to show off the above things and what was said in OP's post.
 
sdf, I'm sorry, but your post has bit the ether. It was a good post, but I've already asked people to stick to the TS's topic.

In case anyone else has any other insightful, well-thought-out posts they'd like to get deleted: AGAIN: The threadstarter started a thread about environments, and has asked that it stay on that topic. Thank you.
 
TBH all these environmental effects would just be wasted effort on the part of the developers.

If you're in a game like Fallout 3 where you are walking slowly around the game world then small details like trees and flowers are important but when I'm going round a corner at 180mph I've got more important things to concentrate on than the quality of the grass or whether the trees have the right leaves on.

GT has it's flaws I know and I'm not going to incur the wrath of the mods by going into the things I'd like to change but tiny details like this don't affect my sense of immersion anything like as much as some other things.

Normally I have a relatively short attention span when it comes to games. It's rare for a game to keep me hooked for more than a month or so. Borderlands and the Battlefield series being notable exceptions. (Both on the PC)
Fuel and Dirt 2 kept me going for a few weeks each and NFS Hot pursuit for about 4 hours.

I bought GT5 on release and I'm still getting flak from my wife about the amount of time I spend playing "THAT BLOODY GAME" so it must be doing something right, for me at least.
 
Small details do add up to realism. Some claim you don't actively notice them but I bet your eyes do really, it's why none of the photomode pictures will ever pass the realism test.

What people are saying is they are really too absorbed in the game to 'care' but if you ran a set of tracks with and without visual tricks you'd know which was which and I bet the I know what the preference would be.

I'm just disappointed the PS3 isn't what Sony said it was going to be in terms of graphical power. I bet if PD were independent and GT was multiformat the 360 version would look at least as good.
 
It hardly matters to me and I actually think that GT5 is the first GT game to have an environment which doesn't feel completely static and lifeless. Smoke, moving grass, sparks, skidmarks etc. help a lot. I do expect more of that for GT6.
 
I just want to say that I totally agree with paskowitz !
They have done it to the 24Hrs Nordschleife, why don't bother for other tracks.
 
Seriously. I want to see people grilling their BBQ, eating their BBQ, then walking across to the other side of the track, to use the cleanest port-o-potty's. I want it to be so immersive, I can almost smell the port-o-potty.;)

I want to be able to walk around the surrounding environment, while my B-spec racer does his thing, so that I can explore and interact with other people. . . wait, Sony already has this. . .:dopey:
 
I'm just disappointed the PS3 isn't what Sony said it was going to be in terms of graphical power. I bet if PD were independent and GT was multiformat the 360 version would look at least as good.

Not the case, and we already knew that from recent releases. Graphically a racing game will 99% look better on the platform that better handles more polygons, and right now the PS3 has that by a huge margin.

That also has the knock-on effect of better environments and more detailed tracks (especially the track surface; increasing the size of bumps on a track without increasing the resolution of the mesh has horrible results.

The ONLY way GT5 could look better on any platform right now is if it was targeted solely for high-end PC's.

If it was targeted at low-mid range PC's, it'd look like a higher resolution Forza 3, without the photo mode tesselation.
 
The only issue I would take with the environmental effects is the lack of wind direction, wind speed, pressure changes on the cars. If they wanted to simulate bad weather they could have toned down the rain and gave me a few wind gusts instead.
 
Compared to the last-gen AI and the depressing lack of tracks, it's not really an issue with me. When it comes to interacting with the environment, my biggest complaint is that when you hit a curb, the car is 100% back under control within a couple of milliseconds. In real life if you're pushing the car to the edge of its traction going around a corner and then you hit a curb at 100+ mph and a couple wheels momentarily come off the ground, that's going to cause you a very major problem. In GT5 it doesn't cause any problem at all.
 
This is why I love the Nurburgring 24h so much. It just feels alive, especially with time and weather change. I have to say that the clinical look of some of the curcuits don't bother me that much. Sometimes however you see a lake or something and think mmmh that doesn't look as good as it should. (Or you van always look at trail mountain for Nessie and the little monkey).
 
I'd have to say he is 100% right about this, Polyphony should hang their heads in SHAME about this and anyone who dares to argue against what he's saying, regardless of what issues, it bordering on being a troll.

You talk about the GPU and lack of memory, then how on earth does even GTAIV manage to do almost all of what is mentioned here?
 
I find it fascinating that all the flaws that aren't conducive to the experience of driving have all been blown out of proportion, yet no one has mentioned a couple of simple things that make a huge difference and could probably be easily fixed with a patch;

Driver list on right hand side of screen interferes with view on slow right hand corners.

Steering gear ratio isn't adjustable - yes I know it's to replicate the real version, but you have to make allowances when you drive a car in anger. With most of the Road cars it's like trying to perform aerobatics with a 747.

Making the Open Lobby a free for all with no rules has fragmented the GT fraternity.

Apart from these silly little things that I'm sure will be fixed, the whole thing is damn good.
 
One of my major gripes about previous GT games is how the tracks felt sterile and dead, the tracks lacked any sort of atmosphere. They have changed the game considerably to counteract that. I agree they could go further, but I have to say I'm still impressed with what they have now, the day/night transitions are spectacular.
 
I'd have to say he is 100% right about this, Polyphony should hang their heads in SHAME about this and anyone who dares to argue against what he's saying, regardless of what issues, it bordering on being a troll.

So if people disagree with his statement they are being a troll? :lol:
 
This is paskowitz's thread, and he quite clearly wanted to bring up the subject of environmental immersion.

I suggest you all respect his wishes and stick to that topic. If you all want to complain about other things, they have their own threads. Thank you.

Thank you.

sdf, I'm sorry, but your post has bit the ether. It was a good post, but I've already asked people to stick to the TS's topic.

In case anyone else has any other insightful, well-thought-out posts they'd like to get deleted: AGAIN: The threadstarter started a thread about environments, and has asked that it stay on that topic. Thank you.

Thank you.

This is not another AI sucks, standard cars are crap, insert random overstated complaint thread. If there is something that you can think of that is rarely mentioned or subtle it has a place here.

One of my major gripes about previous GT games is how the tracks felt sterile and dead, the tracks lacked any sort of atmosphere. They have changed the game considerably to counteract that. I agree they could go further, but I have to say I'm still impressed with what they have now, the day/night transitions are spectacular.

I have to say if there is one thing that PD nailed in GT5, it is the day night transition. Online where you can change the speed, it is spot on. I think people in this thread think I am being overly analytical and critical of GT5. This is not the case. Also, I welcome any and all opinions on the other flaws of GT5 but this is not the place for that.

So if people disagree with his statement they are being a troll?

Yes. I am God.
 
Things I wish would change about the environments:

- Squishy tires (barriers)
- we have skid marks now, why not do something similar for the grass?
- more spectators
- more "life" on pit road
- rubber build-up over a period of time in long races?
- planes flying overhead (this can't be that hard)
- more weather tracks
 
Things I wish would change about the environments:

- Squishy tires (barriers)
- we have skid marks now, why not do something similar for the grass?
- more spectators
- more "life" on pit road
- rubber build-up over a period of time in long races?
- planes flying overhead (this can't be that hard)
- more weather tracks

Exactly. These things alone are small. But add everything together and you would have something pretty amazing. And that is what I am getting at. I feel like PD wanted to do this with the better smoke, effects of light on smoke and the environment, the great day night cycles, etc. They have a great base.

I think GT6 on the next PS would be a phenomenal game. We were all amazed by the PS3 when it came out and even today. But lets be honest it has some serious draw backs. Of course tech is always improving, but I have a feeling the next generation is going to something truly special.
 
Wet tracks that doesnt look wet and PS2 ported tracks. The rest looks great.
 
I think GT6 on the next PS would be a phenomenal game. We were all amazed by the PS3 when it came out and even today. But lets be honest it has some serious draw backs. Of course tech is always improving, but I have a feeling the next generation is going to something truly special.

Assuming GT6 is even on the new system. Given Kaz said the next one won't take nearly as long, I'm thinking it will be on PS3. Unless Sony is looking to release the new system in the next few years, then I would think (and hope) that GT6 would be pushed as a launch title on that system.
 
Yes it would be nice to have all these little touches. I think the car models has always been the main priority for PD in the GT series, and surely with these latest premiums they can be satisfied and start to concentrate more on all the other little touches that make a big difference. I guess it will probably be PS4 before they can have car models like this and have all the extras too, but hopefully they will suprise us with GT6.
 
This is paskowitz's thread, and he quite clearly wanted to bring up the subject of environmental immersion.

I suggest you all respect his wishes and stick to that topic. If you all want to complain about other things, they have their own threads. Thank you.

No offense, but this is by nowhere near the first thread to talk about the graphics. What most of us have done here (or many of us, at least), is try to point out that, in the BIG SCHEME of things, what the OP is talking about should be FAR down the list of things that need fixing first (if it can be fixed at all), and if he had any idea about coding for games, he would already know that the PS3 is already taxed to the max giving us the level we already HAVE. As such, this remains on topic, doesn't it?
 
I've only read the OP, a lot of other stuff to wade through plus the usual pedantic bickering

Interesting points but I don't find the game isn't immersive due to trees and grass not swaying in the wind, because in the "real world", when it isn't windy, they don't.

As for shadows etc, sure when I am waiting to start a rally stage I sometimes think eww that doesn't look so great, then the race starts, I can't really tell and frankly couldn't care less.

I do wonder if it bothers people more who spend a lot of their time arguing why GT5 is better than Forza or whatever else, as if there should only be ONE racing game and ONE console. That makes me feel sad. Very briefly, then I start another race.
 
TC I think you may have high hopes beyond the PS3's actual hardware capability. Also I think better development management with PD and Sony could have massively benefited this game.
 
I am well aware that there are much bigger fish to fry in the grand scheme of things. AI being near the top of the list. Also this is not so much a complaint as much as it is a suggestion. My tone was not that of complaining.

I do however think it is hard to argue that immersion is not a huge part of GT. In GT5 we saw many new small effects that to me added a lot to the game. I am simply proposing a continuation of this.
 
If it's not a "problem with GT5 that nobody talks about", it's off-topic. Thank you.

You talk about the GPU and lack of memory, then how on earth does even GTAIV manage to do almost all of what is mentioned here?

Lower-poly (than Premium (EDIT: than most standards, too)) cars, Lower-res details in the environment, less detailed physics engine, tons of dropped frames, pop-in and stutter on the PS3.

Fantastically immersive, nonetheless, though... sometimes it's not the sheer quantity of polygons or bitmap resolution, but it's the quality of what is there that counts.

Still... the sheen of rain-soaked roads in some the rally challenges, the flying grass... the spray behind cars and light effects (mist on Eiger and haloes around lights at night) are all great immersion points that are already in GT. Unfortunately, in plain daylight, some of the tracks seem incredibly sterile.


As such, this remains on topic, doesn't it?

Stating: "I think there are many things more important than environmental effects" is on topic. Making a laundry list of things that are "problems with GT5 that everybody talks about in every other thread" isn't.

If there's a thread this duplicates, please post a link in the "report to moderators" when you send it. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Back