The biking thread

I gotta say, listening to Black eyed Peas' Let's get it started while cycling my Jafi to work gives me some downhill domination vibes :lol::lol:

Merry Christmas to all the other two-wheel fiends. Two bits of info for you:
1. On October 8, my beloved 2001 Gary Fisher Mt Tam Disc suffered a terminal frame failure- cracking at the weld between the DT and BB. Three days later, the local Trek shop called, saying they were offering me a $750USD warranty credit. Wow! If you're considering a Trek, shop with confidence. If you're not, at least give them a look. They made a very generous warranty settlement on an 18 year old bike!
2. I am now the proud papa of a 2020 Roscoe 8. See you on the trails!

"Off Season" is upon northern California (which means a few days when it's too wet to ride :lol:) which means I'm on the stationary bike more than the actual bike. At least I have telemetry! Did this yesterday:

60 mins.
5 min warmup: 80rpm @ 160w
3 x 10 min high intensity: 90-110rpm @ 190-240w
(between) 5 min rest: 80rpm @ 160w
15 min endurance pace: 85rpm @ 170w

Before when I was testing FTP I set the bike to maintain 200w regardless of RPM. I think this is unrealistic because in the real world you're always going to be going up and down as you pedal. With the machine locked in at 200w, I think the effort is actually much higher - its really punishing if you slow your cadence for a moment because the load goes up proportionally. Instead, this time I used a steady load (arbitrary) and then controlled the power with my cadence, the effort felt much easier. I think I could probably get close to 250w FTP (20min) now, or at least it's within sight.

Also, when I was turning 110rpm my heartrate was pushing over 200bpm. Is that bad? I felt fine throughout the workout and also the rest of the day. :confused:

I think this is unrealistic because in the real world you're always going to be going up and down as you pedal.

Yeah I agree for 95% of riding it's exactly as you describe. I have a road just a few km's away from me that is however perfect if you want to test FTP. it is a constant 1-2% gradient for long enough you won't finish the section in 20mins. That's really what you need is a small incline so you can't rest.
I personally hate the 20min FTP test and when I want to check where I am at I use a ramp test, it basically starts you at an easy wattage and keeps increasing every minute until it breaks you, It's brutal but over in less than 20mins :lol:.

Also, when I was turning 110rpm my heartrate was pushing over 200bpm. Is that bad? I felt fine throughout the workout and also the rest of the day. :confused:

Depends on lots of things but does seem a little high, firstly how old are you (you don't need to answer) but the rule of thumb is 220bpm minus your age is your ball park max heart rate. I know for me it's not true though as my max is 186bpm and I'm 45, generally most fitter people can surpass that rule of thumb test.

Other thing I would question if the rest seemed normal was the actual accuracy of the HRM at the time, I know mine can be a bit flaky at times with sweat and if it moves etc.
I don't really bother with a monitor any more as I know when I'm busting a gut (trying to hold the wheel of some of my mountain goat friends) and I don't need to see it at the time. :lol: If I'm actually doing any formal type training I do it to power anyway.

In other news for those that know the Rapha (clothing company) Festive 500 runs between Xmas Eve and New years Eve with the aim to ride 500 km in that period, a completion gets you a small badge to sew on something or a donation to a charity in lieu of the badge. Anyway my last ride for the period was today and finished with 559 km so pretty happy with that. I'd need to check but it's probably about exactly the same as last year.

Happy New Year and safe riding to all in 2020.
Now, where is that beer I earned. :cheers:

Yeah I agree for 95% of riding it's exactly as you describe. I have a road just a few km's away from me that is however perfect if you want to test FTP. it is a constant 1-2% gradient for long enough you won't finish the section in 20mins. That's really what you need is a small incline so you can't rest.
I personally hate the 20min FTP test and when I want to check where I am at I use a ramp test, it basically starts you at an easy wattage and keeps increasing every minute until it breaks you, It's brutal but over in less than 20mins :lol:.

Depends on lots of things but does seem a little high, firstly how old are you (you don't need to answer) but the rule of thumb is 220bpm minus your age is your ball park max heart rate. I know for me it's not true though as my max is 186bpm and I'm 45, generally most fitter people can surpass that rule of thumb test.

Other thing I would question if the rest seemed normal was the actual accuracy of the HRM at the time, I know mine can be a bit flaky at times with sweat and if it moves etc.
I don't really bother with a monitor any more as I know when I'm busting a gut (trying to hold the wheel of some of my mountain goat friends) and I don't need to see it at the time. :lol: If I'm actually doing any formal type training I do it to power anyway.

In other news for those that know the Rapha (clothing company) Festive 500 runs between Xmas Eve and New years Eve with the aim to ride 500 km in that period, a completion gets you a small badge to sew on something or a donation to a charity in lieu of the badge. Anyway my last ride for the period was today and finished with 559 km so pretty happy with that. I'd need to check but it's probably about exactly the same as last year.

Happy New Year and safe riding to all in 2020.
Now, where is that beer I earned. :cheers:

The ramp test sounds brutal but effective.

I'm gonna get an actual HR monitor (the readout from the exercise bike is probably whack) and keep an eye on it. I probably shouldn't push beyond 180-185, just to be safe. I'm 30, so 190 should be my ballpark limit.

Last toasting of the year. Decided that I hadn’t ridden enough this year, what with a new addition to the family and all, so a blow-out 5 hour interprovincial ride would do.

The sore muscles I can deal with, the gravel roads were manageable, even the awkwardness of having lost my iron backside wasn’t the end of the world... but my word, the sun burn is killing me.

Once I left the city I took my jersey off and threw it in my pack. To go with the usual leg burns which are agony, I have shoulders and flanks in a lovely, painful pink hue, too.

No regrets. Maybe not putting on sunscreen I regret, but still, I made the final century if the year count. Now it’s time for 2020 beers.

Gratuitous last-morning-commute-of-the-decade shots. And what a morning it was. Clear, dry, crisp. Lovely...especially now that I have decent colder weather gear and won't be shivering the rest of the day.

9wNSoIr.jpg

zEQepiL.jpg

The Golden Gate is by far the prettiest at sunrise on a clear morning. It's also less windy to ride across in the morning!

Who here uses a bike computer?

I've been thinking about getting the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. However, I don't see a foresee a situation where I wouldn't have my phone on a ride. In that case, and because I don't generally do rides longer than 4 hours (which my phone's battery can easily handle) I wonder if I might be just as well served by the Elemnt Mini that does not have integrated GPS.

Thoughts?

Who here uses a bike computer?

I've been thinking about getting the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. However, I don't see a foresee a situation where I wouldn't have my phone on a ride. In that case, and because I don't generally do rides longer than 4 hours (which my phone's battery can easily handle) I wonder if I might be just as well served by the Elemnt Mini that does not have integrated GPS.

Thoughts?

I’ve mostly relied on a phone for data tracking. I have a mate who uses a Garmin in conjunction with a power meter which is highly accurate.

These days I don’t even Strava my rides because I like to enjoy them for what they are. I spent so long competing with myself using Strava that it took away from the experience of just riding a bike for the love of it.

If you’re looking for accurate data read outs and/ or GPS navigation a computer might suit you but these days phones are so advanced that they can do most of what a computer can do.

Did my first ride today with my bolt. What a great unit it is! I don't have cadence or power to look at, so I was mostly watching my HR and speed. I did a 4 hour ride and averaged 160bpm...which seems pretty good? I think I hit a max of 187, which seems about right.

I feel like my cardio is vastly superior to my leg strength at the moment, I felt I had plenty of reserve cardio but my legs were just not functional towards the end. I'm used to pushing easy gears at 95+rpm and on some of the 10%+ climbs today (3500ft total climbing) I just couldn't get a gear low enough to use that technique and so I quickly found the extents of my leg strength...and I wasn't impressed. To be a more rounded cyclist, I'm going to concentrate the next few months on developing more strength. I can't always rev out like a rotary engine!

Aside from just getting use to using taller gears (ughh) and sprints/intervals, what are some other things I can do to up my leg strength? I've seen a variety of lower body workouts (squats, leg press, bulgarian squat, etc) that are recommended. Anyone do these kind of workouts?

Aside from just getting use to using taller gears (ughh) and sprints/intervals, what are some other things I can do to up my leg strength?

Honestly, time in the saddle is just as important for building strength as any kind of particular exercise. I have the opposite problem to you it seems; my legs can got for days and push pretty hard but my lungs just can’t keep up.

Honestly, time in the saddle is just as important for building strength as any kind of particular exercise. I have the opposite problem to you it seems; my legs can got for days and push pretty hard but my lungs just can’t keep up.

Trade? :lol:

Went to the gym last night and did a grueling session: 30 mins at FTP power levels...but limiting myself to 60rpm for 5 minute blocks. Really felt the burn. But I think I'm making actual improvements to my pool-noodle legs!

60rpm at full power is a far different thing than 95rpm at full power.

Went to the gym last night and did a grueling session: 30 mins at FTP power levels...but limiting myself to 60rpm for 5 minute blocks. Really felt the burn. But I think I'm making actual improvements to my pool-noodle legs!

60rpm at full power is a far different thing than 95rpm at full power.

Strength training starting to pay off.

My HR at 200w is down to around 150-160 as I can push taller gears at a slower cadence with my new-found quads and glutes. 20 minute power is somewhere north of 230w, but I haven't really gone all out on a test. Best of all, I just feel much stronger on climbs! My W/KG is now comfortably over 3.0 I believe. :D:cheers: I think I would be happy with 4.0w/kg, so I'm going to set that as a goal. Just need ~40 more watts at FT.:cheers:

Has anyone done the North Coast 500 or else ridden around the Scottish Highlands? Thoughts? I've been having a hankering for a bikepacking trip of late, and this seems like about the right amount of distance I'd like to do. My CAAD is probably too harsh for long days in the saddle, which gives me the perfect excuse to get a Ti frame. Any recommendations?

Went out for my first ride of the year. It was 35F with a 16mph wind and ice on the sidewalks. Less than awesome. :ill:

And my legs are definitely out of shape.

Practiced my Social Distancing today by doing some miles in the woods by myself- 10-ish yesterday, maybe 17 today? Low-mid 70's (F) here in the Virginia Tidewater. Been tweaking my new Roscoe- slightly longer stem (RaceFace Evolve) and a Salsa Salt Flat bar, and if feels right. Getting used to having the front suspension and learning the limits of those tires- wow! I also joined our local MTB club, the Eastern Virginia Mountain Bike Association. Been getting out to do trail work- sadly, I expect the trail workdays and group rides will be on hold for a while.

Does anyone on here have a Ti-frame bike? Thoughts? I'd like to add a gravel bike to my small fleet...and my dream gravel bike is a Moots.

I haven't posted something for too long!

upload_2020-4-24_21-23-10.png

I didn't go 100%, but it was damn near close. I've had training weeks with a lot of ups and downs, some days I feel very strong, other days my legs feel like they're made of concrete. Last Saturday I wanted to go for a 5 hour ride, but I returned home after only 80km at 26km/h average, I was completely empty!

So, this week I decided to cut my training rides shorter and focus more on maximum efforts and recovery between training sessions, tracking a local loop that has a 1-1,5 minute effort going slightly uphill. Keeping a constant cadence from the bottom of the hill, and ending sprinting in the drops for the final 10 seconds. It's hard, but I feel like I get a much better recovery. Riding 3 hour rides every day really isn't the way to go. I also started to combine power training on the bike with short but intense runs, ending with short sprints from stand still for a block of 5 sprint efforts. Definitely feel that it adds a lot of power to your legs! Currently running 5min/km.

I think I'm keeping the longer rides for the weekends, and stick with shorter blocks like 1 minute max efforts, or 30 second sprints during the week to build power threshold and peak power. But riding for hours and hours, and running for 2 hours definitely isn't adding anything to my power numbers, and nor is it beneficial to my overall recovery.

I haven't posted something for too long!

View attachment 914258

I didn't go 100%, but it was damn near close. I've had training weeks with a lot of ups and downs, some days I feel very strong, other days my legs feel like they're made of concrete. Last Saturday I wanted to go for a 5 hour ride, but I returned home after only 80km at 26km/h average, I was completely empty!

So, this week I decided to cut my training rides shorter and focus more on maximum efforts and recovery between training sessions, tracking a local loop that has a 1-1,5 minute effort going slightly uphill. Keeping a constant cadence from the bottom of the hill, and ending sprinting in the drops for the final 10 seconds. It's hard, but I feel like I get a much better recovery. Riding 3 hour rides every day really isn't the way to go. I also started to combine power training on the bike with short but intense runs, ending with short sprints from stand still for a block of 5 sprint efforts. Definitely feel that it adds a lot of power to your legs! Currently running 5min/km.

I think I'm keeping the longer rides for the weekends, and stick with shorter blocks like 1 minute max efforts, or 30 second sprints during the week to build power threshold and peak power. But riding for hours and hours, and running for 2 hours definitely isn't adding anything to my power numbers, and nor is it beneficial to my overall recovery.

I've been doing shorter more intense rides too lately, and I think I'm seeing similar results. Part of me thinks that you can keep focus better when the efforts are short. A 5 hour ride is bound to involve a lot of less-than-hearty effort. Fueling also becomes a big factor on long rides that you don't have to worry about as much in short bursts.

Went for a ride yesterday. During times of movement restriction, I'm sure glad I live somewhere close to nature.

9fZ75qs.jpg

ODfzEps.jpg

MTbHtOJ.jpg

The last photo is Pacific Coast Highway. I have never, ever seen it this empty. I left early (7am) and rode PCH south (towards San Francisco) so the few cars I did encounter were mostly headed the opposite way (including a highly modified Volvo 240 Turbo!). As far as the beach, well you can see - pretty deserted. There were maybe 25-50 people on the whole beach, which is a good 3 miles long.

Also set a new speed record on one particularly gorgeous section of PCH, a glass-smooth, twisty, steep downhill through a Eucalyptus grove. I hammered down and my Wahoo recorded 50.7mph :eek:

All told: 63 miles, 4hr 45m, 3880ft elevation gain. And such damn perfect California weather. Legs are still not keeping up with my cardio. Need to grind more hills.

Last edited:
Sadly, when you'd be able to visit again this same road would probably be bumper-to-bumper with rental Mustang convertibles and Cruise America RVs, as per usual. :lol:

Make the most of it well you can, I've been out 3-4 times a week since this began, it's so quiet, wonderful.

Back