The biking thread

Bram Turismo

Go Flying Lizards!
Premium
Belgium
Belgium
bramturismo
Enough of those monster workout routines! :P

There is a "Post you bike" thread, but I think GTP's got so many bikers we need a thread for everything biking.

How do your trips look like? How far are you into biking? Just a hobby, or are you getting serious?

Let's see some bikes and your outfits! :D

My trips are either short or long depending on how much times I've got and how the conditions outside are. If it's cold and windy, I won't got any further than 30 minutes, but if the weather allows it, I go as far as 90 km on a good day 👍

Pics of my bike and outfit will come later, it's a black Yosemite track bike with the '08 Silence-Lotto outfit 👍

I would say I'm fairly serious when it comes to biking, so far I've entered two enduro races each lasting 35 miles in the lake district.

I mainly go out at weekends with my dad and do a few laps of singletrack and a single loop of fireroad which adds up to around 26 miles. When I'm not out at weekends I'm usually out dirt jumping with my mates all day so I could say I'm quite a varied rider.

Enduro Bike - Pace RC303
DJ Bike - Charge Iron

Some pics of my friends can be found in my gallery, see sig

Last edited:
It's a hobby, but I'm into mountain biking. I got a GT avalanche for XC and also a Specialized BigHit for more serious stuff. I'd like to get a road bike, but other financial commitments come first.

I cycle to school every morning (even in the snow of February) and I go to the local bing which has a load of dirt jumps on it with my mates. Its about a 30 minute cycle to the jumps along the canal. Its awesome fun
I'll take some pics of it next time we go 👍

Once I get it all put back together after my last outing, my bike will finally have the slicks, aero bar and speedometer back on and ready for riding this summer.

During the week, my rides usually consist of riding to work (about 4 miles) when I know I don't have a meeting to go to and it's not going to rain. On the weekend I ride around with my kids (5 and 3) so I don't get to ride very far. Yet!

Ah, aero bars!

We bought one to make our bike look cool :lol: We have a road racer, and an aero bar would make us look like time trial drivers, but that thing just weighs so much, and the bike so little, that I really don't want the extra weight on the steering wheel.

When I added the aero bar, I cut between 5 and 10 minutes off of my 30 minute ride to work. :D

That's a very big gap there, you sure you didn't forget your backpack that day or something? :P:tup:

That's a very big gap there, you sure you didn't forget your backpack that day or something? :P:tup:
Now that I'm thinking about it, going from my mountain bike without the aero bar, regular pedals and knobby tires to the same frame with the aero bar, slicks and toe clips cut 10, and on a good day 15, minutes off of my ride time and I know that the aero bar was good for a large chunk of that time.

And yes, my backpack was pretty consistently the same weight. :lol:

TB
Now that I'm thinking about it, going from my mountain bike without the aero bar, regular pedals and knobby tires to the same frame with the aero bar, slicks and toe clips cut 10, and on a good day 15, minutes off of my ride time and I know that the aero bar was good for a large chunk of that time.:

I would say most of your time came from riding with slicks on, it's rather amazing how little I have to pedal with my Kenda Small Block 8s on my charge over my mates with Maxxis High Rollers.

Small Block 8's
kenda%20tkt41.jpg

High Rollers
maxxis-high-roller-06.jpg

I can coast when my mates are pedalling on flat even though I'm running 24inch wheels which loose speed faster than their 26inch wheels.

I would say most of your time came from riding with slicks on, it's rather amazing how little I have to pedal with my Kenda Small Block 8s on my charge over my mates with Maxxis High Rollers.
There's no question that the slicks did their part in cutting off some of that time, but as I did the upgrades to the bike over a few months, I know that, as least for me, the aero bar did more. I'm not exactly sure why, besides being slightly more aerodynamic, of course.

Edit: My bike originally came with Velociraptors:

logo%20tyres%20wtb%20velociraptor%20f&r.jpg

Talk about noisy tires... You could hear me coming from a few blocks away. :lol:

Its an oldie but a goodie. 03 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ Just started back up again about 6 weeks ago. I had to upgrade my saddle to a Serfas and get a new cateye odometer. Im just days away from getting my new XC treads
fire-xc-pro.jpg

n735760223_6234171_4135353.jpg

Haro Railer SS. Kenda K-Rad up front Maxxis Holy Roller in the rear.

42t front 16t rear. Thats something I really want to upgrade. I want 14t in the rear

Just like week I had the bottom bracket replaced as it was making some crazy knocking noise. Apparently it died.

Edit: As for biking clothes? I wear standard street clothes. I can beat any road cyclist in the area, so I'm not sure what all the lycra does to make me faster.

Video Time!

If anyone is interested in Mountain Biking or would just like to know what the Top Flight can do nowadays, NWD 9 is a must see. I must have seen it 3 times already and it still makes my jaw drop to the ground.

i wonder if any one rides downhill here?
ive been doing downhill for about 5years now and nothing gets youre heart pumping faster

I've just been the Coed-Y-Brenin for the weekend. On Saturday we rode a brand new trail called the "Red Fox (or similar)" in the morning to warm ourselves up, then in the afternoon we rode the "Tarw Trail (formerly Red Bull)". On Sunday we woke up fairly earlier and got on the "MBR Trail" before the main crowd arrived. I loved every minute of riding at Coed-Y-Brenin, the trails were so well designed it was unbelieveable. I'm definately going back.

This is the final section of the MBR Route. Epic Fun all downhill. (Not my Film)

*Watch in HQ*

Are shimano cranks better truativ cranks or are they equal? Im looking to get a square tapered 9 speed compatible crankset because my stx crank has a bad left pedal thread.

In my opinion Shimano are miles ahead of Truvativ. Although square-tapered isn't the best of choice to begin with, I realise it is still present technology in older frames.

What frame do you have? Have you had a look at simply buying another crank arm to replace the worn out one?

For me its just to relax. I do go on small trips sometimes. Like 2h long.
My bike is a Scott p4
scott-sportster-p4-2008-hybrid-bike.jpg

I also have a pony. For those, that don't come from ex yugoslavian countries. A pony was a very succesful bike. It is small and has become somewhat of an icon. It was made by ROG Ljubljana. Its a small bike with no gears and one of those awesome rear wheel brakes, where you rotate the pedals backwards.
Its really usefull to go to the store or to go to school and such.

slika11245539594.jpg

Will post my own pictures soon...

Nice to find some other bike enthusiasts here 👍

I have no racebike and no mountainbike but a superfast recumbent :)

Challenge Jester by Challenge Bikes

to be honest, I think it's sexier than a car :dunce:

I often use it to workout, to relax and to commute. Distance to my work is 35km, that makes a total of 70km. Try to pedal 1 to 2 twice a week to work and further I just ride the bike whenever I like :D

Flatout I reached 60km/h in a sprint, normal/average speed is around 30 to 34 km/h

Kind regards,
doblocruiser

Last edited:
Flatout I reached 60km/h in a sprint, normal/average speed is around 30 to 34 km/h

Fantastic numbers! 👍

I think with my racebike I hover around 28-34 km/h. Highest I've gotten up to was 80 km/h, of course on a downhill :lol:

It's almost April which means the season starts soon. I'm going home tomorrow and I pray to God the sun will shine all next week so I can take that first ride of the year! 👍

doblocruiser - enjoyed watching the video 👍
As the topic seems to be at the moment about numbers. Here's mine not yet achieved but will hopefully will be in August.
I am riding the whole length of the UK from Lands End in the South West to John O'Groats in the North of Scotland in aid of Charity. http://www.action.org.uk/
http://www.action.org.uk/ttl_appeal
The charity raises money to help very young children. The total journey is getting on for 900 miles which I hope to do in 18 days, about 50 to 60 miles a day.
For the ride I am going to use my old Giant OCR 3 road bike fitted with panniers, top boxes etc.
BTW the wife is coming as well!
I was going to make a thread about it but am undecided - What do you guys think? 💡
Happy riding
nige

Last edited:
Nige: Definitely start a thread for it in the Rumble Strip section as it's for charity and you'll drum up more support there. Hope you're getting plenty of training in now! Good luck and hopefully you have David Walliams company on the trip! ;)

Back