The biking thread

Ordered new tires and tubes. I decided on Continental Gatorskins.

The tires will be delivered Sunday.

The tubes will be delivered Wednesday.

A week down probably means the 500 miles is out. :irked:

TB
Ordered new tires and tubes. I decided on Continental Gatorskins.

The tires will be delivered Sunday.

The tubes will be delivered Wednesday.

A week down probably means the 500 miles is out. :irked:

Do you carry a spare tube with you (and levers and pump) when you ride?

It happened... just when I changed my mind on not wearing a helmet on a leisure evening ride.

E0B3502D-E2E7-40F3-B461-641ED6AC21F8.jpeg

A woman rolled though the stop sign at a busy intersection of cyclists and joggers and hit me. I made eye contact, slowed myself, saw her slowing. I thought she was coming to a complete stop and checking the busy intersection of cyclists, but she kept rolling; I guess she was in a daze. Her car hit the rear wheel almost exactly and just bumped me off a bit, though I maintained my balance and pulled the bike to the side.

I'm fine and the bike is fine, I did a few checks and the frame seems to not be bent, just the rear wheel.

The funny part is a guy in a Mercedes was driving by asking if I was okay and he ended up driving on the curb into the bike path, almost running over another cyclist. When he asked if I was okay, I asked him "Is your Mercedes on the curb okay?!" I felt like I was watching a Curb Your Enthusiasm skit because the guy looked Larry David-ish and very blase about being ON the curb while his car is rolling into the bike lane.

These things happen, and I told her that. She said that she had never had anything like this happen before, and she said that she felt bad and all. She initially offered to buy me a new bike, but I told her no, and that it all checks out except for the wheel and the chain. She gave me $80 she had with her and her phone number just in case she has to replace more, if needed.

I explained to her that I could be mad about it all, but I let her know that, knowing how people can be, I was glad that she stopped and checked on me. I didn't raise my voice, yell at her, or anything, I was just trying to figure out the best way to defuse the situation and get the results, all while figuring out the potential issues with the bike.

It was a beautiful evening. I was going to stop at the park, read, then enjoy sunset ride back home. Oh well.

It happened... just when I changed my mind on not wearing a helmet on a leisure evening ride.

View attachment 939542

A woman rolled though the stop sign at a busy intersection of cyclists and joggers and hit me. I made eye contact, slowed myself, saw her slowing. I thought she was coming to a complete stop and checking the busy intersection of cyclists, but she kept rolling; I guess she was in a daze. Her car hit the rear wheel almost exactly and just bumped me off a bit, though I maintained my balance and pulled the bike to the side.

I'm fine and the bike is fine, I did a few checks and the frame seems to not be bent, just the rear wheel.

The funny part is a guy in a Mercedes was driving by asking if I was okay and he ended up driving on the curb into the bike path, almost running over another cyclist. When he asked if I was okay, I asked him "Is your Mercedes on the curb okay?!" I felt like I was watching a Curb Your Enthusiasm skit because the guy looked Larry David-ish and very blase about being ON the curb while his car is rolling into the bike lane.

These things happen, and I told her that. She said that she had never had anything like this happen before, and she said that she felt bad and all. She initially offered to buy me a new bike, but I told her no, and that it all checks out except for the wheel and the chain. She gave me $80 she had with her and her phone number just in case she has to replace more, if needed.

I explained to her that I could be mad about it all, but I let her know that, knowing how people can be, I was glad that she stopped and checked on me. I didn't raise my voice, yell at her, or anything, I was just trying to figure out the best way to defuse the situation and get the results, all while figuring out the potential issues with the bike.

It was a beautiful evening. I was going to stop at the park, read, then enjoy sunset ride back home. Oh well.

Glad to see you are ok and the bike mostly is too. Time to get aero wheels.

A former coworker of mine met his wife when she ran her car into him while he was cycling. :lol:

The thing that drives me absolutely crazy is when a car gets to a 4-way stop sign well ahead of me (in some cases like up to five seconds) and then proceeds to wait for me like it's assumed I will blow through the stop sign. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY AND YOU'RE NOT HELPING ME BY BEING UNPREDICTABLE. JUST GO. :mad:

Glad nothing serious happened, @phillkillv2! :scared:

The thing that drives me absolutely crazy is when a car gets to a 4-way stop sign well ahead of me (in some cases like up to five seconds) and then proceeds to wait for me like it's assumed I will blow through the stop sign. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY AND YOU'RE NOT HELPING ME BY BEING UNPREDICTABLE. JUST GO. :mad:
Same thing happened on my last ride. Got to a 4 way stop and wasn't looking at the guy who'd already been there before I got there. I'd been doing the standing-up-really-slow-balancing thing then glanced over to see him waiving me through. :boggled:

1 month turnaround for the bike. I took it to the bike-shop and they said it's going to be $150 for replacing the rim and moving over the cassette, and the Campagnolo hub which is easily $200 on its own. Thankfully she didn't break that. I'm looking at other bikes anyways, but it sucks that I'm going to be missing out on my primary and most fun way of exercising. I guess it's time to bust out my running shoes again.

Glad to see you are ok and the bike mostly is too. Time to get aero wheels.

A former coworker of mine met his wife when she ran her car into him while he was cycling. :lol:

TB
Glad nothing serious happened, @phillkillv2! :scared:

Same thing happened on my last ride. Got to a 4 way stop and wasn't looking at the guy who'd already been there before I got there. I'd been doing the standing-up-really-slow-balancing thing then glanced over to see him waiving me through. :boggled:

Well, that's a way to meet someone lol - this woman was definitely twice my age, so I'm sure my parents would give me the side-eye if I brought her home :sly:

I hate when people do that at stop-signs as well. I usually try to wave them on without losing balance, so it looks like I'm angry trying to tell them to go.. well, it's because I kind of am and I'm not trying to fall over lol

So looking at my last bigger effort (35 miles, 3500ft) I noticed that I tend to ride well into or above threshold heartrate zone (total of 80 mins at 175bpm+!) or at endurance levels (<140) but my tempo zone isn't being utilized very often. As a result, I feel fast on shorter (<15 mins), hard efforts but on long climbs I just blow myself up. I'm gonna try to hold myself to around 160bpm (tempo for me) when I expect to be riding for more than an hour and accept that I won't be very fast...I need to improve my aerobic capacity. I also need to just do more hills...

So this was Sunday
gMfN46i.png

uIkWoKD.png

As you can see, almost half of a 3hr ride was spent at FTHR or higher. The result of this was that I was completely gassed and really struggled from the midpoint on. I actually had to take a pause on one 12% grade...:indiff:

So today, I slapped HR onto the first field of my Wahoo and watched it like a hawk to keep it in the tempo range.
47Dj7DX.png

n28F1EP.png

Zero anaerobic effort, a bit of threshold, a little endurance, and a solid chunk of tempo. It felt great to get to the top of a climb with gas still in the tank!

Bonus pic from Sunday's ride. 2,000ft up over the Pacific Ocean (Stinson Beach visible below)
eCraKjn.jpg

If you've ever seen a car ad featuring a car driving atop a ridge with the ocean below...it was likely filmed on this road. Ridgecrest.

Unbox it!

Speaking of consumption, I just ordered a pair of Rapha Pro Team Sunglasses...my first bit of wanker roadie kit. However, my current sunglasses are absolutely trashed, fog up when I look at them, and I'm tired of getting pelted in the eyes by debris when I ride without anything. This is what they look like:

caUI3sl.jpg

I searched high and low for a pair that didn't look like a late 90s science fiction prop but also would, you know, perform. These look good and have good reviews as far as I could tell. They also have interchangeable lenses and come with a clear lens in the box.

my current sunglasses are absolutely trashed, fog up when I look at them, and I'm tired of getting pelted in the eyes by debris when I ride without anything.
I just wear my Oakleys. :P Besides the obvious protection from the sun, where I usually ride is down county roads meaning it's right next to farm land. That means ditches, which means bugs. Every ride I'm pelted with gnats, or worse, so riding without eye covering is NOT an option!

I'm gearing up for my first real ride (the one around the block after installing the new tires doesn't count!) but I don't think hitting 500 miles this month is going to happen. The likelihood might very well hinge on this ride. If it's a 25 miler, 500 won't happen. If I can stretch it out to 40 (which would be my longest ride ever) and then continue to do 40... or more... then 500 might still be in play. :scared:

TB
I just wear my Oakleys. :P Besides the obvious protection from the sun, where I usually ride is down county roads meaning it's right next to farm land. That means ditches, which means bugs. Every ride I'm pelted with gnats, or worse, so riding without eye covering is NOT an option!

I'm gearing up for my first real ride (the one around the block after installing the new tires doesn't count!) but I don't think hitting 500 miles this month is going to happen. The likelihood might very well hinge on this ride. If it's a 25 miler, 500 won't happen. If I can stretch it out to 40 (which would be my longest ride ever) and then continue to do 40... or more... then 500 might still be in play. :scared:
TB
My longest ride, I'm pretty sure ever. Only to be greeted with another 🤬 flat. I'm not even remotely happy.

View attachment 941767

It was an absolute amazing ride up until then. Four personal records, apparently.

View attachment 941768

Just curious, what PSI are you running in your tires? Are you getting pinch flats or punctures? Surprised you got another with the gatorskins, those things are pretty tough I've heard.

You could try airless tires maybe?

32 miles and only 215ft of elevation? Blimey that is a flat piece of USA you got there.

Just curious, what PSI are you running in your tires?
For my last flat, I'm not positive but I'd wager about 80. For the new one, I had it at 110, according to the regulator on my air compressor. I don't have a tire gauge that goes that high.
Are you getting pinch flats or punctures?
Not sure. I'll have to look into it.
You could try airless tires maybe?
I am ABSOLUTELY going to research these.
32 miles and only 215ft of elevation? Blimey that is a flat piece of USA you got there.
I'm pretty sure that 215 is the most I've ever had, too. It's usually about 190. :lol:

New panoramic from my furthest out point:

JdPNEWn.jpg

Yeah, she's pretty flat!

it's done!! :embarrassed:

IMG_20200719_195447.jpg
IMG_20200719_195627.jpg
IMG_20200719_195706.jpg
IMG_20200719_195500.jpg
IMG_20200719_195859.jpg

Thank GCam for these awesome 48mp night shots!! :lol::lol:

Fun fact: It took a lot since I didn't knew how to install the front rim (It did came with the front rim's adjustment-screw thingy the seat's pole has and I don't know how to pronounce it). Can't wait to try it!!

Last edited:
it's done!! :embarrassed:

img_20200719_195447-jpg.942160

img_20200719_195500-jpg.942161

img_20200719_195706-jpg.942162

img_20200719_195627-jpg.942163

Thank GCam for these awesome 48mp night shots!! :lol::lol:

Fun fact: It took a lot since I didn't knew how to install the front rim (It did came with the front rim's adjustment-screw thingy the seat's pole has and I don't know how to pronounce it). Can't wait to try it!!

Your image links are broken.

TB
Working for me. Looks like a nice ride!
It is!! Especially since finding a 29' full suspension mtb over here can be a pain in the... (27.5' though is easier) :D... The only issue for me is the brake setup (disk brake in the front and in the back)... But overall, great mtb (that can be upgradeable too)!! :D

Last edited:
It is!! Especially since finding a 29' full suspension mtb over here can be a pain in the... (27.5' though is easier) :D... The only issue for me is the brake setup (disk brake in the front and V-brake in the back)... But overall, great mtb (that can be upgradeable too)!! :D

What's the cycling scene like in Peru? You share a border with pro cycling powerhouse Colombia!

What's the cycling scene like in Peru? You share a border with pro cycling powerhouse Colombia!
Of course, it's not too much like them, but it's still really strong, especially nowadays thanks to the pandemic (which finished the job of killing public transport for being unhealthy asf)... You can't go out and walk two blocks without finding a bike (doesn't matter what kind, or how old is it)!! :D. Some districts even have (literally) no-car/full-bike days to promote cycling :D

When it comes to mtb's, the most popular are the ones as my old Jafi (21 speed's 27.5' hardtails) that are slightly better than what you call "Wallmart bikes" since they are all-aluminum, shimano-gutted, and when it comes to full-suspensions like mine, cheap 26's are what you find mostly on the shops (You can find 27.5's too, 29's only on high-end cycling stores), that's the only gripe I have about my local cycling scene since full suspensions are better even for the "smooth-like-butter" tarmac you find over here :lol:.

That's another irony, despite the popularity (and absolute demand), there are still just too few bike lanes on the streets (and if you find one, the typical popular Peruvian driver will just don't give a (beep) on rush hour), still, cyclists are still fighting hard to make the streets more bike-friendly, and now there's even a 2-day-free-labor rule you rightfully earn if you cycle to work! :D And, there's so many bikes-only dedicated streets just in Lima where you can mod, build or buy a bike ;D

Dirt trails are also popular as hell (despite being a bit far off most-populated districts) with dedicated cyclists!! :D (even if, like many "everything-we-copy-from-other-countries-to-be-modern" other stuff, you have to pay $100+ for a trip)... I prefer not to do that, you don't pay for nature... Anyway, Peruvian cycling is a looooong political rollercoaster (that is at least balancing in favor of cyclists finally), but on popularity, it's also one of the strongest of all South America (although not as much as Colombia or Brazil)!! :D

Bonus fact: The most popular brands here aren't Santa Cruz or Specialized (in fact, Santa Cruz is almost not existent and Specialized are some of the most expensive ones), they're Goliat (My new Mtb's maker, quite literally, the Toyota of bikes over here), and local-made Monark (Cycling's Toyota too)... Both are cheap bikes, but also durable and strong! :D (I live near the Monark factory btw) :D

Last edited:
Back