The biking thread

Some guy near me is selling an S-Works Tarmac SL3 with Zipp 404s and full SRAM red kit for $1200. I can probably offer $1k. He has it listed as a "Rubaix". :lol: Should I make the offer? I think I'm probably too heavy for those wheels, but I've been doing a lot of indoor cycling and want to actually get something to ride. My rides would be limited to parks and maybe gravel levees, but since I'm around 290-300 lbs I'm pretty sure I'd want a gravel bike that can fit 30+ mm tires. $1k is my budget though, so finding something used at that price has been a struggle. What do you guys think?
Looking through BicycleBkueBook, the newest S-Works Tarmac SL3 I can find is a 2011.

Original MSRP is in the $7k range with a current value around $1,500.

Ebay has a set of Zipp 404s around $400.

$1,200 looks to be a good price but it's also a 10 year old bike.

What do you guys think?
It’s a steal. I’m sure you could find some gravel 32+mm rubber to fit those wheels.
You’d be amazed what wheels can take in terms of weight and pressure. I doubt you’d have an issue. Even if you did and had to replace the wheels you still get a sweet bike for a good price. Wheel replacements don’t have to be expensive if you’re not bothered about saving weight and aero.

It’s a steal. I’m sure you could find some gravel 32+mm rubber to fit those wheels.
You’d be amazed what wheels can take in terms of weight and pressure. I doubt you’d have an issue. Even if you did and had to replace the wheels you still get a sweet bike for a good price. Wheel replacements don’t have to be expensive if you’re not bothered about saving weight and aero.
Yeah but the more research I do, the more it sounds like the frameset won't accommodate even 25mm tires. Don't wanna be stuck with a great deal that I can't ride.

Last edited:
frameset won't accommodate even 25mm
It might at most but often the limiting factor is the brake calipers, without knowing the components it's impossible to say.
If you want to ride paths and a bit of gravel it's no the bike you want anyway, the geometry is very aggressive. It is after all a full on race bike.

Honestly, you would be better off with a gravel bike or a flat bar road bike for that sort of riding.

There's also the Key Biscayne rides where all the roadies go. I just don't yet feel comfortable riding near traffic or in a peloton. My coworker was in a peloton crash and ruptured her spleen, had to be resuscitated in the OR.

There's also a velodrome nearby where I could presumably ride. Are these standard aero bikes ok for that setting or do you typically need a tri bike or something without brakes?

I want to get into duathlons, but I'm looking for something where it's a mix of cycling and competitive eating. Running is ehhhh

Last edited:
There's also the Key Biscayne rides where all the roadies go. I just don't yet feel comfortable riding near traffic or in a peloton. My coworker was in a peloton crash and ruptured her spleen, had to be resuscitated in the OR.

There's also a velodrome nearby where I could presumably ride. Are these standard aero bikes ok for that setting or do you typically need a tri bike or something without brakes?

I want to get into duathlons, but I'm looking for something where it's a mix of cycling and competitive eating. Running is ehhhh
Sorry not sure how to split an individual post into separate quotes since to forum updated so I'll address the three points in one.

Fair enough on the traffic and peloton, traffic wise not sure how your drivers are locally but here there are some terrible one's who pretty much disregard cyclist safety. Not ideal but you get used to it and almost develop a second sense around them.
With regards to peloton riding yeah be wary of that, I will avoid a big bunch unless I know the guys who are in it and can be trusted. There are unwritten rules to be followed like calling out hazards and using signals etc and if that's not done it can go bad quickly.
So easy to touch another wheel of some moron who does the wrong thing and bring half the pack down.

On a velodrome just ride whatever you want mate, don't stress needing a specific bike anything will do.

The good thing about cycling is if you do enough of it you can do as much competitive eating as you want. :lol: 👍

On a serious note being a bigger guy cycling will be a great way to help you get into shape if that's what you're after. No impact injuries like running and swimming up and down a pool sucks. Also get to see some local sights at a different pace than from a car.

Sorry not sure how to split an individual post into separate quotes since to forum updated so I'll address the three points in one.
Highlight the text you want to quote and this will show up on screen:

1654905409779.png

If you want to address multiple things, click the +Quote side, if that's the only part you want to address, click the Reply side. Repeat the process with anything else you want to quote then you'll see "Insert quotes" below the post box. Click that and it will show you what you've selected to quote. Click "Quote messages" and they'll come in with their own quote boxes. Compose your post as necessary and click Post reply.

I've probably made a mess of explaining that. :lol:

Darn, looks like the listing is gone now. Maybe it sold or was stolen or something. It was honestly a picture in front of a storage facility door, so I wonder if it was being sold by facility staff after someone defaulted on their rent lol. Probably could have been parted out for that price. The search continues for a suitable bike for a non-ridiculous price...

edit: Ah, just found it listed again, this time for $2,200. Some jerk on FB marketplace bought it and put it up for sale with better pictures overnight. Wow.

Last edited:
Darn, looks like the listing is gone now. Maybe it sold or was stolen or something. It was honestly a picture in front of a storage facility door, so I wonder if it was being sold by facility staff after someone defaulted on their rent lol. Probably could have been parted out for that price. The search continues for a suitable bike for a non-ridiculous price...

edit: Ah, just found it listed again, this time for $2,200. Some jerk on FB marketplace bought it and put it up for sale with better pictures overnight. Wow.
I was actually going to suggest you do the same. 🤣

Looks like you can get a 1x Cannondale Topstone for around $1300. Not carbon and not the best group set (though I've heard the microshift 1x10 is not bad), but I've been really happy with my Cannondale CAAD12 105 I got way back in 2018 for a frankly unbelievable $900. Topstone would give you tire clearance for more exploratory type riding, which I think is fun. You could get a better bike for less second hand, but second hand bikes are not exactly easy to come by right now.

Last edited:
So I've been doing fairly regular, fairly structured training since around March when I started a Zwift training plan. On saturday I went back and did the first workout of that plan again and compared my results. The trainer was in ERG mode both times so the power and durations are identical.

March avg HR: 153
March tempo HR duration: 29:57
March peak HR: 172

June avg HR: 140
June tempo HR duration: 3:16
June peak HR: 164

I know that performances one day to the next are not exactly comparable, but this is a pretty big difference. I've basically shifted my entire previous tempo power output into the endurance range with respect to HR, which is pretty cool! I've also lost about 4kg since then (4 more to go to hit my 72kg target). I'd guess that my current FT Power is around 2.9w/kg. I think I could realistically get that up to around 3.5. I'm also targeting an actual "race" in October, part of the Grasshopper adventure series in CA. There's 3 events to choose from:

65 miles & 8,800ft
45 miles & 6,500ft
35 miles & 5,100ft

Obviously, that's some steep ****. I've done that sort of mileage in one ride before, but I've never done more than 5,000ft in a single ride before. I may end up putting a smaller front chainring on my bike. The course map shows several climbs over 15%. I've ruled out the 65 mile race, I just don't think I can prepare for that one in time. Trying to decide between 45 mile and 35 mile. If it was flatter, I would absolutely do the 45 miler. But 6,500ft is a lot...

Completed my longest ride ever a few weeks back in preparation for Maratona this summer. It was a very long day in the saddle but felt amazing after it and didn’t hurt half as much as I expected. I’m absolutely loving my new bike, 2022 Giant TCR.

1976B7E6-C00D-4EC1-BC38-F3F955B65461.jpeg
026501D1-672C-4125-8E34-939BF19EE97D.jpeg

@Eunos_Cosmo - sounds like your training is coming along brilliantly in the last few months and October is a long way off. Does the event let you sign up to enter and then chose your rote on the day? Start on the longer route and then turn off early if you aren’t feeling it? I know that’s pretty common for events to allow that here and you could get fit enough for the longest route between now and then.

I’d never done more than 1700m or so of elevation in a ride before the one above and with an 11-34 tooth cassette and 36/52 chainrings it was manageable. Getting the cassette right will be crucial.

Last edited:
Completed my longest ride ever a few weeks back in preparation for Maratona this summer. It was a very long day in the saddle but felt amazing after it and didn’t hurt half as much as I expected. I’m absolutely loving my new bike, 2022 Giant TCR.

View attachment 1161385View attachment 1161381

@Eunos_Cosmo - sounds like your training is coming along brilliantly in the last few months and October is a long way off. Does the event let you sign up to enter and then chose your rote on the day? Start on the longer route and then turn off early if you aren’t feeling it? I know that’s pretty common for events to allow that here and you could get fit enough for the longest route between now and then.

I’d never done more than 1700m or so of elevation in a ride before the one above and with an 11-34 tooth cassette and 36/52 chainrings it was manageable. Getting the cassette right will be crucial.
Wow that's a haul! The longer variant of the ride is simply another loop of one sector so I think what you are describing is possible. Its gravel and on a lot of logging and fire roads so the grades are pretty punishing (route). I've got a 1x on the bike I would be using, with a 40t front chainring and an 11-42 cassette at the back. It's honestly already pretty aggressive, but I might elect to put on a 38t front. Top end on that combo at 100rpm would be around 30mph, but I honestly doubt I would need more than that with the course profile. I've been wanting to try one of those ovalized chainrings, I've heard they are good for steep off road climbs due to their low cadence smoothness.

Plenty of time between now and then to test some different gearing options for both climbing and top speed. Although as someone said to me, better off gearing for the climbs and then letting the freehub handle the descending and using it as some recovery time.

Last edited:
Plenty of time between now and then to test some different gearing options for both climbing and top speed. Although as someone said to me, better off gearing for the climbs and then letting the freehub handle the descending and using it as some recovery time.
I just realized that 1x MTB drivetrains are more like 32x50 on the lowest gear, which is far higher of a ratio than I have. Tempted to try this WT ovalized 38t

I was actually going to suggest you do the same. 🤣

Looks like you can get a 1x Cannondale Topstone for around $1300. Not carbon and not the best group set (though I've heard the microshift 1x10 is not bad), but I've been really happy with my Cannondale CAAD12 105 I got way back in 2018 for a frankly unbelievable $900. Topstone would give you tire clearance for more exploratory type riding, which I think is fun. You could get a better bike for less second hand, but second hand bikes are not exactly easy to come by right now.
Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, the thing is that everyone over here is dumping their bicycle hobby now that the pandemic is over and people have gone back to their normal lives. Nobody has the time for it anymore and it's just too friggin hot and unsafe to ride roads here, anyway. The 2nd hand market has been hot, but my problem is finding bikes that would fit me, being a big guy. If I was normal I could be on a new Pinarello Dogma for a mere 2k, and there are Cervelos and other Tour/Giro brands out the wazoo around here. The other big problem is that these scuzzy hustlers down here spend all their time arbitraging the marketplaces. The used bike market is dominated by an Indian guy in Pompano Beach, and a handful of other latino guys in Hialeah. It's kinda sketchy, lol. Anyway, it has completely eliminated the "Seller wants sentimental belonging to go to good home/be put to good use" kind of transaction.

I actually learned that my uncle has some 80s/90s Al Cannondales in storage. He said his was always a little too big for him so maybe it would be a good fit for me. I was also interested in an oval chainring and I wonder if I can retrofit a newer cassette and everything to the old frame.

Last edited:
I reached out to Ribble and they confirmed I could run a 38T on the front without issue. I think I'm going to order that WT 38T. Hopefully I won't have to take a link out of my chain.

So I did another FTP test yesterday and I've gone up +30w since my last one, which is a +15% gain. I'll take that. That puts my w/kg at 3.0, a little better than I was estimating! Realistically, I think my actual power is a little higher than this because my indoor bike has flat pedals and a pretty non-ideal (as well as not changeable) position. Regardless of the accuracy, I think I can add 20 more W to hit my goal without too much trouble.

Last thing I need to do is shed some weight from my bike. My buddy and I were joking that his 700c, 2x, steel CX bike is actually lighter than my Ti 650b 1x bike. Mine is about 9.9kg unloaded. It's kind of an overbuilt frame which is where a lot of the weight is coming from. Already has a carbon fork. I'll probably get a lighter wheelset at some point.

Last edited:
How do you measure FTP? I did my best ride at the indoor place today. Broke through 15 miles which had been a barrier in the past. The big V dips in my past ride graphs are because I did a class on a bike that had a broken power meter once.

Total energy spent over 45 minutes was 443 W, average 181 W. Weight 140 kg. #1 racked up something like 525 W. Crazy.

287519191_10229173642864960_4252690235510943144_n.jpg

How do you measure FTP? I did my best ride at the indoor place today. Broke through 15 miles which had been a barrier in the past. The big V dips in my past ride graphs are because I did a class on a bike that had a broken power meter once.

Total energy spent over 45 minutes was 443 W, average 181 W. Weight 140 kg. #1 racked up something like 525 W. Crazy.

287519191_10229173642864960_4252690235510943144_n.jpg
Zwift has a ramp test that calculates it. You can also do a 20 or full crazy 60 minute test, but those are really tough, especially on an indoor trainer. The number is meant to represent the power you can sustain for an hour, so shorter tests are typically some percentage of that or other calculation.

edit: You and @Michael88 should start the diesel cyclists club with average cadences in the 60s :lol: :cheers:

Last edited:
I usually do what this place calls "Beat" classes with my average cadence between 75-80. That's where it's just your instructor basically as a DJ and you just have a good time. This was a "Burn" class where you're actually given cadences and metrics to maintain. It was like 70% climbs. Absolutely brutal. I've never ridden above 200 watts practically the whole hour. The reason my average is 188 is because we kill the resistance for the "arms song" and to sip some water between stages. :lol:

1656217643860.png

Today's workout (well, yesterday). Three 15-minute periods of intervals. First period was sprints, 2nd was climbs, 3rd was sprint-climb-sprint. I hit 800 watts for like 3 seconds on the final sprint of the 1st period. Everyone did like 3-4 miles and I did 6. :lol: But I totally gassed myself. Did most of my climbs in the saddle and felt like puking the whole time. I got a bad upper back/rib/diaphragm cramp after the climb and was kind of shot for the rest of the workout, lol. Was kinda mad that I had a peak power PR but didn't also PR my distance and average power. Energy stats below:

RANK - 8
AVG RPM - 68 (I'm a diesel)
AVG W/LB - 0.50 (... a diesel Peugeot)
NRG/LB - 1.355

Last edited:
Did a pure road ride for the first time in months yesterday. Aired up my 23mm tires on the Cannondale to 90psi and the bike felt like an F1 car compared to my 650b 1x gravel bike. Did 40 miles of a mix of moderate, threshold, and v02 efforts and set a ton of PBs. This one I'm particularly proud of, nearly a minute clear of my previous best. Really great short (cat 4) climb...great pavement, nice and twisty with consistent grades, not too much traffic, shaded.

Riding this bike again makes me want to experience a high end carbon aero bike, they must feel incredible.

CA.JPG

Last edited:
Tour De France start eminent!

What are everyone's predictions?

Tadej Pogacar is obviously the favorite but I think Jumbo Visma, as a team, has had a stonking strong year thus far, and Primoz + Jonas could be a real threat. I don't really see anyone else getting JC outside of those 3.

Personally I'm going to go for the "underdog" and pick Primoz Roglic because I think Jumbo is just so strong.

I'm eager to see WvA & MvP do exciting things. Would love to see one (or both!) go for a massive breakaway (10+ min advantage) in one of the early stages and see how long they can hold onto yellow. That could make the race really exciting.

Also looking forward to see what the EF team can do with Magnus Cort, Uran, and Powless. Maybe a top 10 for Powless and/or Uran?

I'll be honest. The Tour de France is the only bike race I watch. I don't pay attention to the Giro, Vuelta or other races. So I don't really know the riders other than who I recognize from years past.

I do know that Jumbo Visma is stacked. I could see them becoming the new Sky/Ineos. After the heartbreaking loss in 2020 and dropping out last year, Primoz will be hungry and looking to make up for it. Of course he'll have his teammate in Jonas to battle him. Wout and Sepp are certainly capable of winning stages. Kruijswijk, Benoot and Laporte are strong supporters. The only name I don't recognize is van Hooydonck.

That's not to say UAE won't make some headlines. Pogacar is obviously the favorite. The team is focused on backing him rather than multiple riders going for the GC.

On a fun note, it's cool seeing 7 Americans riding in the Tour this year as well as the EF squad. And a few of them have legitimate shots at taking stages. Sepp got the first stage win for a U.S. rider in a decade last year. As mentioned, he'll also be supporting a top contender. McNulty is riding for the favorite. Powless may take on Rigo and be the leader for EF. Should be fun.

Oh, and I want to see if Sagan can make a comeback. And it sucks that Alaphilippe won't be participating this year.

I'll be honest. The Tour de France is the only bike race I watch. I don't pay attention to the Giro, Vuelta or other races. So I don't really know the riders other than who I recognize from years past.

I do know that Jumbo Visma is stacked. I could see them becoming the new Sky/Ineos. After the heartbreaking loss in 2020 and dropping out last year, Primoz will be hungry and looking to make up for it. Of course he'll have his teammate in Jonas to battle him. Wout and Sepp are certainly capable of winning stages. Kruijswijk, Benoot and Laporte are strong supporters. The only name I don't recognize is van Hooydonck.

That's not to say UAE won't make some headlines. Pogacar is obviously the favorite. The team is focused on backing him rather than multiple riders going for the GC.

On a fun note, it's cool seeing 7 Americans riding in the Tour this year as well as the EF squad. And a few of them have legitimate shots at taking stages. Sepp got the first stage win for a U.S. rider in a decade last year. As mentioned, he'll also be supporting a top contender. McNulty is riding for the favorite. Powless may take on Rigo and be the leader for EF. Should be fun.

Oh, and I want to see if Sagan can make a comeback. And it sucks that Alaphilippe won't be participating this year.

I watch the TDF and some of the spring classic 1-day races. Paris Roubaix (The hell of the north), Milan San Remo, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Flanders, and Strade Bianchi are all very good to watch - they are different than the stage races in that multiple rider types can win and where Julian Alaphillipe, Wout Van Aert, and MvP are so explosive. Paris Roubaix in 2021 was especially epic. I find it hard to stay engaged with any of the stage races not called Tour De France though. I'll maybe watch some highlights of the Giro.

Latest Posts

Back