The Bill Cosby Situation

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 196 comments
This The Week article conveys the situation a little more clearly, at least for me.

The whole point of the civil suit was to maneuver around the fifth and so the criminal case built upon that very testimony is obviously compromised. I can see how the Pa supreme court reached its conclusion. It's what must be done, but it's not really justice.
It's probably better than OJ though. My guess is that this man will not be able to rape again - whereas OJ was a bit more of a threat to continue committing crimes. The Cosby conviction was (as best I can tell) purely punitive, and while I do understand that, it could be worse. Guilty people have walked who we know will harm people again. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it does seem unlikely.

Last edited:
Aaaaand prosecutorial misconduct set him free, in a 6-1 decision by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

Way to go, stupid ****ers. A flawed criminal justice system can not only put innocent people in prison, but it can also let guilty people out.

Isn't their a saying along the lines of
It is better to let 100 guilty people walk free than to lock up 1 innocent?

Maybe it is time America got rid of prosecutors who only care about numbers on a "Conviction" sheet.

Thing is how many of the other "Allegations" are real?

We've seen it time and time again when it comes to famous people.

Such as with Micheal Jackson.

Mother 1: MJ Molested my son
Mother 2: MJ Molested my son
Mother 6: MJ Molested my son
Mother 24,945 MJ Molested my son

Wow. Cosby flashing a V-sign after leaving prison?

What the hell. Does he think he's Nelson Mandela or something? 🙄

It's probably better than OJ though. My guess is that this man will not be able to rape again - whereas OJ was a bit more of a threat to continue committing crimes. The Cosby conviction was (as best I can tell) purely punitive, and while I do understand that, it could be worse. Guilty people have walked who we know will harm people again. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it does seem
Im wondering if murder now is more leniently punished than some forms of illegal sexual behavior in english speaking countries, especially with media publicity involved ramping up here in the US/UK, etc.

Last edited:
Im wondering if murder now is more leniently punished than some forms of illegal sexual behavior in english speaking countries, especially with media publicity involved ramping up here in the US/UK, etc.
A quick review of sentencing suggests that it's not. Murder has some much longer sentencing guidelines.

Considering Cosby admitted, on record, to giving women Quaaludes when he wanted to have sex with them, I'd be willing to bet most of the allegations are real.
Are they really? You never popped a pill with a girl before the fun and games?
I've heard it does wonders for both parties.
I still find it convenient how all these allegations come out after his speech at the 50th Anniversary of Brown v Board of Education...

It's probably better than OJ though. My guess is that this man will not be able to rape again - whereas OJ was a bit more of a threat to continue committing crimes. The Cosby conviction was (as best I can tell) purely punitive, and while I do understand that, it could be worse. Guilty people have walked who we know will harm people again. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it does seem unlikely.
I'm uncomfortable with this. I also don't necessarily disagree.

Wow. Cosby flashing a V-sign after leaving prison?

What the hell. Does he think he's Nelson Mandela or something? 🙄
I'm guessing Cosby flashing a v-sign after leaving prison indicates two things; a broadly significant legal victory for all accused defendants across the land possibly including Ghislane Maxwell, and personally for him, an immediate release from detention and return to his notorious celebrity life. He's been a party animal at least since his rise to stardom in the guns and girls "I Spy" TV series of 1965-68.

Are they really? You never popped a pill with a girl before the fun and games?
I've heard it does wonders for both parties.
I still find it convenient how all these allegations come out after his speech at the 50th Anniversary of Brown v Board of Education...
Nah, illicit drugs aren't for me.

But regarding Cosby, he did say, under oath, that he gave quaaludes to women in order to have sex with them. If he did it with one woman, it's likely he did it with many. While some might be lying hoping to cash in on a payday, there was enough evidence to convict him in one case. I'm sure with an investigation, more evidence could be uncovered.

Nah, illicit drugs aren't for me.

But regarding Cosby, he did say, under oath, that he gave quaaludes to women in order to have sex with them. If he did it with one woman, it's likely he did it with many. While some might be lying hoping to cash in on a payday, there was enough evidence to convict him in one case. I'm sure with an investigation, more evidence could be uncovered.
Surely more investigation could uncover more evidence. But to what end? Civil actions only. The statute of limitations militates against any further criminal prosecutions.

Surely more investigation could uncover more evidence. But to what end? Civil actions only. The statute of limitations militates against any further criminal prosecutions.

Does the principle no longer matter?

As a general rule, I try to place great importance upon principles. To which specific principle do you refer?
I think adherence to the law is an important principle. I also think you should not cause harm to others.

As a general rule, I try to place great importance upon principles. To which specific principle do you refer?
I think adherence to the law is an important principle. I also think you should not cause harm to others.
You said civil actions are the only thing that can be brought against Bill Cosby.

and intimated that it's pointless because it isn't a real sense of "justice" when the statue for criminal prosecution has elapsed.

When you asked to what end would these investigations uncover more evidence, I said the principle.

It's quite clear that I'm referring to the principle that sexual assault victims have their claims validated whether it results in criminal conviction or not. It's important that victims feel not only able but comfortable about speaking out against the crimes committed against them because it will help countless others.

BBC: 9 more women sue over sexual abuse

Nevada has removed certain statue limitations for sexual abuse crimes, allowing these cases to be filed.

Back