The Buick Thread: Your Enclave for all things Buick

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 275 comments
Very Insignia-like. I still wouldn't take one over a CTS...drive wheels at the wrong end and all...

That being said, it looks big, but not ridiculously big.

Yeah, it looks very tall. But then again, every car made for Europe looks very tall. And they are, because they have absolutely ridiculously high beltlines in order to meet the EU's ridiculous pedestrian safety rules. I find it odd that the Insignia doesn't look anywhere near as thick and tall as the LaCrosse. Probably because of the headlights which don't wrap over the hood on the LaCrosse and the curvy crease down the side. Speaking of that, the crease is my favorite part. It evokes the fenders of old '50s cars and whatnot.

2061740610031860892JXdaXA_ph.jpg

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much all the lines of the Insignia make it look much lower and thinner than the LaCrosse. Wow. The Buick looks like a minivan in comparison.

Last edited:
It does look a bit like a minivan from the front. And the roof line makes it look very long. But it's not bad other than that. The headlights look a little like the Cruze, so they're kinda cool but I don't know if Buick would be wanting us to make that comparison. The LS-like tailpipes do add a nice bit of completion and cleanliness to the rear I think.

On the inside, the steering wheel needs to go but it looks very nice other than that. It looks like it would have the feel of you being in the car and not riding on top of something.

That being said, it looks big, but not ridiculously big.

I think its straddling a fine line between the rather large Impala and the "still pretty damn big" Lucerne. Word is that this car will replace both the current LaCrosse and Lucerne... So yeah. I don't know.

Once Again, GM Seems To Know What They're Doing... Kinda

GMI Reports the Chinese Buick Regal (Opel Insignia) is Coming Stateside

reg9.jpg

What You Need to Know:

- US Regal approved yesterday, January 9th
- May not show until MY2011
- Will likely ditch "standard" four-cylinder engine

The big question here is how exactly this effects Saturn here in the US. As we all know, the Regal is essentially an Insignia with only minor changes inside and out. The Saturn Aura would have been exactly the same thing, but earlier in the year, it was announced that the car was intentionally delayed until much later than expected. Interestingly enough as well, Opel is due to move upmarket to compete a bit more with low-lying "luxury" models. So, if we are to expect more Opel --> Buick mergers, what does that do for Saturn, which had been the preferred brand before?

Which also makes me wonder, are we getting a regular sized version of the car that is actually smaller than the Malibu? More like the Saab 9-3?

Note to disclaimer, not expressing an opinion, just an idea.

Why don't they convert Saturn into Buick? Buick could easily be the enviromentally friendly and luxury brand of GM. Call me crazy, but I think Buick has a better vibe than Saturn (yeah, that part's an opinion, sorry).

Keep in mind Buick was supposed to get a Zeta-based roadster a while back as well, the Velite as I recall. I'm not opposed to letting Buick take over as a true-blue "step-up" brand, but they (GM) are going to need top spend some cash on advertising this time.

After Surviving the Chopping Block, Its Time To Think Smaller at Buick

new-baby-buick-prototype-spy-photo.jpg

WCF Has the Story

The basics is that it is the Delta-II based small car that we've heard about for a while. The even more basic explanation is that its a Chevrolet Cruze, thoroughly re-worked as a Buick. My guess would be that once it arrives in the US (probably in 2011), it will be called the Skylark, and likely start right around $20K as an entry-level quasi-luxury compact that GM is in desperate need of right now (cars like the TSX, 1-series, Jetta all come to mind). Expect the new turbocharged 1.4L engine to be standard fare in the car, although I'm sure there will likely be some kind of high-po unit to differentiate it a bit more from its Chevrolet-badged cousin (which is already receiving pretty decent reviews across the pond)

1 series? that's a step up above this guy, the TSX, and Jetta. I am glad that the bodywork appears to be significantly revised, and hope the car will actually have some handling pep.

Skylark, though, kind of reminds me of bad, bad '80s cars...

That Skylark doesn't look great at all. I'd say it maybe looks like...well, I'd say a smaller Pontiac Vibe. Even though it's practically a rebadged Chevrolet, I'm not expecting the Skylark to show.

What about Skyhawk? That was Buick's version of the Cavalier in the 80's, so it would work for a smaller car.

That name sounds a bit too aggressive for a modern Buick. Maybe if it were actually attempting to be a bit quicker, but I think Skylark is a pretty sweet name as is.

I don't think anyone will buy it in any event, but it seems fit to be an awesome car. Just make it pretty, comfortable, and not too obviously eco, and then maybe someone would want one. Probably me.

It's going to compete with the 1-series, TSX and Jetta? That's quite a range their shooting for, and IMO, encompasses Cadillac, Buick and Chevy, all at once. This car should just be a TSX type rival I think. The other two are a step above and below it, and therefore should be left for other brands before we make even more brands redundant.

It'll be interesting to see if people buy it. The TSX is a very nice car. At least, the last-gen one that my great Uncle owns was very nice. It should be a good car if GM gets it right. Although we all know how they've been doing in that department lately...

Since the Jetta would likely run in-line with the 'Skylark' in terms of pricing, it would ultimately be necessary competition. Of course, it all depends on what GM ultimately wants to do.

Wouldn't the LaCrosse look a lot better without that hog grill? I tried to find out:

mplacrosse.jpg

The Chinese always get the awesome. Damnit.

Anyone seen the new Buick commercials yet? I keep wondering if it will make people think "Whoah, that's a Buick?" or not...

I went on the Buick website last night, and was disappointed to find they only have 3 models? One was an old Lucerne or something too, that model needs instant replacing. Why not use the LWB Holden Caprice as a Lucerne?

The Chinese always get the awesome. Damnit.

Anyone seen the new Buick commercials yet? I keep wondering if it will make people think "Whoah, that's a Buick?" or not...

The only thing I hate about Buick is how they try to force design. Non-functional chrome air-vent thingies just don't work on their cars. The LaCrosse's "hip" lines they took from the Hyundai Equus also don't work.

RE: Paulie

It sounds like GM is keeping Zeta under the Camaro only in the US at this point. They've yet to confirm or deny if the Commodore will be coming here as a Chevrolet to function as a new police cruiser model, but even if so, they likely won't send over a Buick model.

Truth be told, the Lucerne and DTS (both share a lot of common bits) serve a very narrow, but otherwise popular purpose: Selling cars to old people, or middle-aged people who want a big-ass car and don't care about anything else. They sell a bunch of them, for a lot of money, and they don't care.

Rumor has it that the Lucerne and DTS will be replaced with either a "x-tra-largasized" version of the Epsilon II chassis (Opel Insignia, 2011 Saab 9-5), a modified version of the Zeta chassis, or some kind of spin-off of the crossover Lambda chassis. Other people say the model(s) will be eliminated outright.

No real worries though, Buick will be adding two new cars to the US market in the next year or so. The Opel Insignia is due to show up as the Buick Regal in the next year or so, and a redone version of the Chevrolet Cruze as a "Skylark" shortly thereafter.

RE: Omnis

I agree on some of the style points. In all fairness, Buick has been doing those vents forever on their cars, even before they were "cool." Still, it looks funny to see it on some of their cars. Otherwise, the Lucerne needs to be updated badly, as it looks severely dated compared to the LaCrosse and Enclave. A shame really, because the design isn't more than a handful of years old (I think 2005?).

RE: Omnis

I agree on some of the style points. In all fairness, Buick has been doing those vents forever on their cars, even before they were "cool." Still, it looks funny to see it on some of their cars. Otherwise, the Lucerne needs to be updated badly, as it looks severely dated compared to the LaCrosse and Enclave. A shame really, because the design isn't more than a handful of years old (I think 2005?).

Yeah but the only time it's done worse is when people/dealers paste them onto the 300C.

But, yeah, they've been forcing design forever. That's why every modern Buick has been ugly.

The other day my friends and I came up with this roadtrip game called "Spot the Buick". We were in tears laughing so hard.

"Look there's on....oh no that's an Oldsmobile."

Kinda sad when the Riviera and the Reatta were the last stand-out Buick products that were unlike anything else that GM produced. Well, common underpinnings. But yeah, unlike anything else (lulz).

Everyone's Favorite GM Brand is Getting Some New Metal

Well, what do we know?

• Six new models will be coming into Buick dealers over the next two years, the first being the new LaCrosse
  • Next-up will be the Regal, a smaller mid-size sedan based on the Opel Insignia. Already popular in China, it will be the second Chinese-influenced vehicle in North America
  • The Opel Astra will follow shortly thereafter, likely built within the United States (based on previous reports), but it does not have a name. Skylark, anyone?
  • Buick will be getting a version of the (now dead) Saturn VUE. Apparently there will be a version that will run the Voltec powertrain, as well as the Two-Mode Hybrid system that was meant to go in use for Saturn this year.

enclave_cross_phev-1250001155.jpg

• Lastly, there will be a small CUV based on the Delta platform (Astra, Cruze, etc) to come later on down the road. GMC will reportedly be getting a spin-off as well. Their point? To shoot down on the new MINI Crossover, as well as whatever FIAT gives Chrysler and Jeep.

Notice that the Lucerne is dead. There is a reason for that, since things are going to be shaken up at Cadillac too.

Hurry up, Buick! Gotta replace does redundant models!

Its touching to know that GM hasn't learned anything regarding brand redundancy even after axing half the company.

I LOVE Buicks, I really do. But I get the impression that American public's perception of Buick is similar to that of Mercury. If it works, I'd be VERY surprised.

Its a calculated move that could either pay off, or go horribly. Considering how surprisingly nice the LaCrosse is, if they get it right, they could knock the cars out of the ballpark. Could.

I think the Regal is a smart idea, to round out the lineup. I think the itty-bitty CUV is a good idea too. I've yet to figure out how the Astra is going to work out, unless its sold as a sedan. Furthermore, the VUE. If they were to sell it only as a Hybrid, or only as a PHV, its a smart idea. But if they're just running around looking for market share... No go.

I LOVE Buicks, I really do. But I get the impression that American public's perception of Buick is similar to that of Mercury. If it works, I'd be VERY surprised.
What perception, that only old people drive them?:P

Also, I thought the Penske owned Saturn was just going to keep the same lineup until the contract with GM ran out. This this change or something?

What perception, that only old people drive them?:P
Well....... that, yeah, and worse. Especially after the GM taking tax money. I'm of the impression that, while people obviously wants the economy to recover, they are in mood to punish the General Motors as well. And I know I'm not the only one who's seeing and hearing this.

There is no doubt that leaders of GM is going to do everything expected, and more to make Buick a success again. But I just have hard time seeing people forgive, or return to makes like Saturn, Buick unless something drastic happens. Look at Saturn. They brought in German cars, and people still stayed away. It felt like they couldn't bring any customers in unless they were selling discount rebadged 3-Series or something.

I hope they surprise me. I just can't foresee it. Maybe I'm just bit bitter because Pontiac will be left dead, and not these guys. I don't know. :D

Back