The Cadillac thread

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 367 comments
All the M5 you could possibly want and arguably even more brand misdirection!

2023 Escalade V Unveiled. A 668hp, LT4-powered monster that no one really asked for. Not really much else is known about the Escalade V other than a few photos and horsepower specs.

1643054738661.png

1643054748472.png

I'm not familiar with the regs but to be clear this car will be in the LMDH/GTP category, not LMH. It's not a "Hypercar" like Toyota, Peugeot, and Glick. It's a spec chassis - allegedly, although these renders don't show much evidence of that unlike the BMW - with a spec hybrid drive. The LMH cars have totall free chassis and drivetrain design with target limits, including pretty conservative aero targets which opens up visual design quite a bit. With the GTP category, we're likely going to see very similar chassis cues but with identifiable features. I assume GTP also has aero targets but I'm surprised by the thoroughness of this design given the "spec" chassis underneath.

Cadillac Celestiq Concept

motorauthority.com/news/1136113_cadillac-celestiq-electric-flagship-revealed

1658548603308.png

1658548610572.png

1658548622646.png

1658548628230.png

The version shown is officially a “show car,” but the production version, expected on sale in 2024 as a 2025 model, should be largely identical to what you see here. Cadillac's 2023 Lyriq was also previewed by a near-identical show car.

The Celestiq isn't simply a replacement for the former CT6 flagship sedan. It's designed to go up against cars from Rolls-Royce and Bentley, and will likely be priced accordingly. Rumors point to a starting price of around $300,000.

Don't look for old-world luxury like you'll find in other cars priced in this territory. The Celestiq's modern design will be combined with the latest technology, including a four-panel glass roof that will enable the driver and passengers to individually set the level of transparency, plus a 55-inch dash-wide digital display with active elements that can darken part of the screen (referred to as digital blinds) to help prevent driver distraction.

Cadillac has also confirmed the addition of GM's upcoming Ultra Cruise autonomous driver-assist feature, which the automaker has said will handle 95% of U.S. roads, meaning many journeys won't require any actual driving by a human. Like the current Super Cruise system, Ultra Cruise will still require the driver to monitor things at all times and take action when necessary. Otherwise, it will shut down. This means it will still rank at Level 2 on the SAE scale of self-driving capability. To rank above Level 2, self-driving systems need to function in eyes-off mode.

Cadillac is investing $81 million in GM's sprawling Global Technical Center in Warren, Michigan, to support production of the Celestiq. The site is where GM designs and develops its vehicles, and was recently expanded with a battery R&D center.

The bulk of the Celestiq's investment in the site will be used to add equipment for low-volume production, such as 3D printers. Cadillac said the Celestiq will have more 3D-printed parts (structural and aesthetic) than any GM product to date. Cadillac has said that the Celistiq will be churned out at a rate of just 1.2 cars per day, meaning annual production will be less than 500 units per year.

As for the mechanicals, all we know is that it will feature both all-wheel drive and all-wheel steering. We also know GM's Ultium platform supports a range of more than 400 miles and power outputs of up to 1,000 hp.

Back end reminds me of a Porsche 928, a lot. Front end is too fussy. It doesn't look stately like a Rolls Royce.

Last edited:
Back end reminds me of a Porsche 928, a lot. Front end is too fussy. It doesn't look stately like a Rolls Royce.
Agreed. More akin to a sporty Jag or something like that. The interior has some nice retro Americana going on though.

I see Cadillac definitely learned their lessons from the years of negative feedback from the atrocious mid-2010s CUE interface.

Last edited:
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Until 10 years from now when they charge you a subscription service to open it full stop.

I see Cadillac definitely learned their lessons from the years of negative feedback from the atrocious mid-2010s CUE interface.

A hand operated latch that actually fits the design of the cabin is expensive to develop and expensive to manufacturer and adds complexity to the assembly process. A hidden electromechanical latch from a third party supplier is cheap & easy to acquire, you don't have to care what it looks like, and it integrates with the touchscreen to create a "futuristic" user experience - because everyone loves screens right? Right guys? What did Tesla bring to the automotive industry? I'd argue electric car charging that works and rampant cost cutting masquerading as "cool tech"

And now for some rather shocking but very good news, Cadillac sedan sales have risen 40% from 2021 to 2022. The CT4 saw a 27% increase in sales while the CT5 saw a whopping 68% increase.

Eh, I'm not finding these numbers too impressive or optimistic. Their combined sales come out to around 25,000/yr. Toyota sells around 35,000 Rav4s per month. YoY sales figures are also pretty misleading considering car production was totally kneecapped from 2020 until very recently - but even then Cadillac sold nearly as many CT5s in 2020, during the pandemic, as they did in 2022....

At the peak of their popularity (which I would say was just before the GFC which is corroborated by some sales figures) BMW was selling nearly 150k 3-series a year just in the US. Back then Cadillac was shifting around 60k CTS units/year. I'm not sure if sedan sales need to go to zero for the segment to feel effectively dead, because they feel that way already. Even Toyota is only managing to sell around 60% as many Camrys today as they did in the bubble years.

Last edited:
Official revelation of the second-gen Cadillac CT6, a China-only car. Amazing that Cadillac's flagship sedan is not even available in its home base. The second-gen CT6 will only feature 4-cylinder powertrains.

View attachment 1260833

View attachment 1260834
View attachment 1260835

View attachment 1260836

Disappointing because it looks decent.

Anyways…

A couple new Cadillac EVs debuted recently that none of us care about. I think the stories about GM being completely unable to fulfill their supply chain obligations to service all these EVs overshadowed the actual cars that won't be able to be built.

The Vistiq slots below the Escalade IQ and above the Lyriq. It's in the Lincoln Aviator category.

Cadillac-Vistiq-2.jpg

And the Optiq sits at the bottom of the lineup. A Lincoln Corsair competitor.

Cadillac-Optiq-Hero-1.jpg

Cadillac-Optiq-Inline-1.jpg

They look good but they all look exactly the same. I really do love the art deco graphics and somehow the rear lower taillights look vintage but I'm not sure how.

Also, the Celestiq has been caught with its pants down!

Celestiq-Charge-Door-Hero-4.jpg

Put that away ya silly goose.

What is up with Cadillac's new naming strategy? Why the fixation on -iq? Would have made much more sense to call the Optiq and Vistiq the XT4 and XT6 electric version or something like that.

Last edited:
What is up with Cadillac's new naming strategy? Why the fixation on -iq? Would have made much more sense to call the Optiq and Vistiq the XT4 and XT6 electric version or something like that.
Woah woah, a Millennial who isn't over their acronym phase yet? Come on man, I thought we were all on the same page about actual names. Don't be a union buster!

Last edited:
Back