The Cadillac thread

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 367 comments
Sad they never continued this. It stopped production 7 years ago.

images

CT5-V Blackwing

2021-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing-spy-shots--photo-credits-baldauf-sb-medien_100749627_h.jpg

2021-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing-spy-shots--photo-credits-baldauf-sb-medien_100749625_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124343_2021-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing-spy-shots-video

the CT4-V Blackwing is expected to pack a new turbocharged V-6 with over 400 hp while the CT5-V Blackwing is expected to come with the familiar LT4 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 that was fitted to the old CTS-V, where it delivered 640 hp. As mentioned, manual transmissions have been confirmed. The alternative should be a 10-speed automatic. All-wheel drive could be offered, possibly as a standard feature.

Judging by our latest spy shots and previous teasers, the Blackwing models will benefit from more aggressive aero and upgraded wheels, tires and brakes. No doubt the suspension will also be enhanced to reflect the track-focused nature of the cars. The wheels on the CT5-V Blackwing prototype measure 19 inches in diameter and feature Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires measuring a meaty 275/35 up front and 305/30 at the rear.

Cadillac has said both will feature track-tuned chassis benefiting from new vehicle control technologies. Cadillac also said testing of prototypes at Virginia International Raceway has shown the cars delivering faster lap times than the ATS-V and CTS-V.

Apologies for being out of the loop, but is the hot vee twin turbo "Blackwing" V8 still a thing?

I’m truly curious just how much Cadillac’s sales have improved since abandoning the stigma of being ‘retirement mobiles’ in favour of being knockoff BMWs. I’d think it’s worked for them, otherwise they wouldn’t reasonably have maintained the drive for that image for the last 20 years. But then again, GM have proven themselves countless times to not exactly be wise when it comes to investment.

I’m truly curious just how much Cadillac’s sales have improved since abandoning the stigma of being ‘retirement mobiles’ in favour of being knockoff BMWs. I’d think it’s worked for them, otherwise they wouldn’t reasonably have maintained the drive for that image for the last 20 years. But then again, GM have proven themselves countless times to not exactly be wise when it comes to investment.
Cadillac's 2019 sales were 156,000 units in the USA (pretty much average for the brand, throughout the 2010s their sales have averaged 140k-175k per year). Sedan sales have completely plummeted, while CUV sales have greatly increased and Escalade sales have slightly increased. Frankly, I don't see the CT-5 being a stronger seller than the outgoing ATS, mainly because it already looks dated and is not going to win over people from other brands, and I suspect that a few years from now Cadillac will be the next "CUV/SUV only" brand. Also, it's worth noting that Cadillac's US market share is at a record low, at 0.89% of all new cars sold.

This thing will look badass but that doesn't really excuse the awful marketing and uninteresting designs Cadillac is putting out right now. Put fat tires and a big engine in anything and it'll look cool. Identity is the problem. They were so close and all their concepts have been great, all of which they refused to pursue.

Cadillac's 2019 sales were 156,000 units in the USA (pretty much average for the brand, throughout the 2010s their sales have averaged 140k-175k per year). Sedan sales have completely plummeted, while CUV sales have greatly increased and Escalade sales have slightly increased. Frankly, I don't see the CT-5 being a stronger seller than the outgoing ATS, mainly because it already looks dated and is not going to win over people from other brands, and I suspect that a few years from now Cadillac will be the next "CUV/SUV only" brand. Also, it's worth noting that Cadillac's US market share is at a record low, at 0.89% of all new cars sold.
How do their sales rate compared to say BMW? this strategy of ‘American made, European style’ doesn’t seem to be working from what you imply. The best selling Caddys are the least sporting and most... soft models available. The Escalade basically fills the same niche the Fleetwood 75 used to.

The brand should have been here 10 years ago.
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/cadi...illac-coming-down-under/2020-10-14/83863.html

Anyway, it'd be a good move to race a CT5 or whatever sedan, alongside Camaro.
Dunno about that, Cadillac is too posh for the working class image that V8 Supercars goes for. Would be like Cadillac becoming an official supplier for NASCAR. I can see Cadillac being used in the Bathurst 12h because it’s more upscale, and Caddy already has a GT3 car.

Dunno about that, Cadillac is too posh for the working class image that V8 Supercars goes for. Would be like Cadillac becoming an official supplier for NASCAR. I can see Cadillac being used in the Bathurst 12h because it’s more upscale, and Caddy already has a GT3 car.
Mercedes Australia thought the same way. They did all they could to stop the E63 from making the grid. Mercedes-Benz Germany, gave Betty Klimenko their blessing to use the car. She made the car and HWA supplied the engines.

Though there was no direct factory funding, the team did go on to win two legit races on pace&performance. Could have been much more success if V8SC were fair with both Nissan and the AMG DOHC engines.

I think there was once Buick branding on a Commodore, for a V8 Supercars Asia round(China?).
A Cadillac on the grid today, would definitely be welcome by fans of the sport. However, like I said, they should have been in this market 10 years ago. The Escalade might have been okay, but no diesel option, dunno. I feel the CTS-Vs(wagons included) would have been much more street cred over an SRT-8.

Last edited:
Mercedes Australia thought the same way. They did all they could to stop the E63 from making the grid. Mercedes-Benz Germany, gave Betty Klimenko their blessing to use the car. She made the car and HWA supplied the engines.

Though there was no direct factory funding, the team did go on to win two legit races on pace&performance. Could have been much more success if V8SC were fair with both Nissan and the AMG DOHC engines.

I think there was once Buick branding on a Commodore, for a V8 Supercars Asia round(China?).
A Cadillac on the grid today, would definitely be welcome by fans of the sport. However, like I said, they should have been in this market 10 years ago. The Escalade might have been okay, but no diesel option, dunno. I feel the CTS-Vs(wagons included) would have been much more street cred over an SRT-8.
Yeah and look what happened to the Mercedes, abandoned after 3 years because the fans and everyone else thought it didn’t fit the target demographic the sport was going for. You’re not really helping your case.
If Buick branding was used at an Asian race, it’s because China is obsessed with Buick for whatever reason.

The most logical manufacturer to appear on the V8SC grid is Chrysler. In general it seems rather daft Chrysler hasn’t brought the Charger to Australia to serve as a replacement for the Falcon and Commodore, because of its great many similarities in market niche. As for Cadillac, they really just aren’t a name with any real sporting heritage or pretensions. You can’t just voodoo up racing panache after a hundred years of not caring about motorsport. I can see them working as an engine supplier for for things like DPi cars and Indy and whatever, but not as a factory team for anything.

Yeah and look what happened to the Mercedes, abandoned after 3 years because the fans and everyone else thought it didn’t fit the target demographic the sport was going for. You’re not really helping your case.
If Buick branding was used at an Asian race, it’s because China is obsessed with Buick for whatever reason.

The most logical manufacturer to appear on the V8SC grid is Chrysler. In general it seems rather daft Chrysler hasn’t brought the Charger to Australia to serve as a replacement for the Falcon and Commodore, because of its great many similarities in market niche. As for Cadillac, they really just aren’t a name with any real sporting heritage or pretensions. You can’t just voodoo up racing panache after a hundred years of not caring about motorsport. I can see them working as an engine supplier for for things like DPi cars and Indy and whatever, but not as a factory team for anything.
And yet you're trying to make a case for Chrysler. How is it even logical? There aren't many on the road and for Chrysler to have been at one time the Safety/Pace car(300C) and nothing came of that as a logical racing model, "You're not really helping your case.".

Besides, the Mercedes no longer running, wasn't due to fans.:lol: And who are everyone else?:confused: Yet, there were two Volvos on the grid.:confused: You must not follow Betty or the series. You're barking up the wrong tree, Frank.

And yet you're trying to make a case for Chrysler. How is it even logical? There aren't many on the road and for Chrysler to have been at one time the Safety/Pace car(300C) and nothing came of that as a logical racing model, "You're not really helping your case.".

Besides, the Mercedes no longer running, wasn't due to fans.:lol: And who are everyone else?:confused: Yet, there were two Volvos on the grid.:confused: You must not follow Betty or the series. You're barking up the wrong tree, Frank.

The point I was making with Chrysler is they make more sense than Cadillac, not that they ‘make sense’. Good onya to skim right over that.

“Mercedes participating for 3 years and then leaving because of a lack of interest from all sides is proof Cadillac should be in Supercars” <— that’s your entire argument. Spamming emoticons doesn’t make you look hip and cool and more believable.

The point I was making with Chrysler is they make more sense than Cadillac, not that they ‘make sense’. Good onya to skim right over that.

“Mercedes participating for 3 years and then leaving because of a lack of interest from all sides is proof Cadillac should be in Supercars” <— that’s your entire argument. Spamming emoticons doesn’t make you look hip and cool and more believable.
I skimmed over nothing. You're not making sense. Again, I already pointed out, if you read my initial post, Cadillac should have been in Australia 10 years ago.

I've sold Holdens, worked at a Chrysler dealership. Spoken to Betty & Lee Holdsworth when the E63s debuted. You've pulled out a non-fact to try and prove whatever point.
Even though Chrysler had a history of selling & racing Chargers back in the ATCC days, the 300C was chosen as the upscale model to be sold here.

Can't say because a Chrysler appears to you to be better to offer than a Cadillac, may as well say it's better for a Ferrari to race than a Porsche. Makes no sense. Two different brands can race together you know? Jeez Louise. Here's another emo: :rolleyes:

You're argument was Mercedes was too upscale for V8 fans. No truth there. When those of us that watch the series, heard the cars on the track, us fans stood up and took notice. Again, if you paid attention to the series fans just didn't want change. But look what happened, fans accepted the newcomers. Fans supported the newcomers.

I don't even have to post links for you, because I know the deal. Gen2 came and Holden supported teams that ran their brand. Betty parked and kept her E63s. She switched to Holden due to lower costs. Fact.
She said had she to do it all again, she'd have kept the Ford's when she bought Stone Brothers Racing. Her team built those E63s in a few months before the start of the season. Where it's best for a team to build a car in a year.

Me saying it would be good for Cadillac to join the series ALONGSIDE the Camaro does make sense for what GM are looking to do in this market. They want to promote Corvertte and Silverado. They feel adding a soon to be defunct Camaro, will promote the Chevy brand.

Australians would definitely pay for a Cadillac. They've had access to similar cars in the Holden Special Vehicles stable. The supercharged HSV Commodores were pretty much Supercharged CTS-Vs.

It would make sense to take a Cadillac sedan racing to promote the brand. Even if it raced against a competitor such as a Chrysler product.

I skimmed over nothing. You're not making sense. Again, I already pointed out, if you read my initial post, Cadillac should have been in Australia 10 years ago.

I've sold Holdens, worked at a Chrysler dealership. Spoken to Betty & Lee Holdsworth when the E63s debuted. You've pulled out a non-fact to try and prove whatever point.
Even though Chrysler had a history of selling & racing Chargers back in the ATCC days, the 300C was chosen as the upscale model to be sold here.

Can't say because a Chrysler appears to you to be better to offer than a Cadillac, may as well say it's better for a Ferrari to race than a Porsche. Makes no sense. Two different brands can race together you know? Jeez Louise. Here's another emo: :rolleyes:

You're argument was Mercedes was too upscale for V8 fans. No truth there. When those of us that watch the series, heard the cars on the track, us fans stood up and took notice. Again, if you paid attention to the series fans just didn't want change. But look what happened, fans accepted the newcomers. Fans supported the newcomers.

I don't even have to post links for you, because I know the deal. Gen2 came and Holden supported teams that ran their brand. Betty parked and kept her E63s. She switched to Holden due to lower costs. Fact.
She said had she to do it all again, she'd have kept the Ford's when she bought Stone Brothers Racing. Her team built those E63s in a few months before the start of the season. Where it's best for a team to build a car in a year.

Me saying it would be good for Cadillac to join the series ALONGSIDE the Camaro does make sense for what GM are looking to do in this market. They want to promote Corvertte and Silverado. They feel adding a soon to be defunct Camaro, will promote the Chevy brand.

Australians would definitely pay for a Cadillac. They've had access to similar cars in the Holden Special Vehicles stable. The supercharged HSV Commodores were pretty much Supercharged CTS-Vs.

It would make sense to take a Cadillac sedan racing to promote the brand. Even if it raced against a competitor such as a Chrysler product.
“Mercedes participated for 3 years before backing out due to a lack of interest, this is why Cadillac should join” <— your argument.

Nope. You typed that. Don't see how you're interpreting you're own quote as mine.
Because that’s your entire argument. You said, verbatim, “Cadillac should join V8SC”. When I said they’re too upmarket for the crowd who watch V8SC, you pointed out Mercedes participated. When I politely reminded you that they only participated for 3 years before leaving because they couldn’t garner any support and added an off-handed comment about how even Chrysler (though I was more implying the Charger than the 300) makes more sense than Cadillac, you gave a multi-paragraph essay on how I’m a big dum doo-doo head for thinking Chrysler could ever make sense. All the while not addressing the FACT Mercedes left because nobody cared about them competing. And then acted like your little rant about Chrysler somehow disproved what I said about Mercedes and proved that Cadillac made sense. Then peppered in some irrelevant anecdotes and apples-to-oranges comparisons as if they’re supporting arguments. “I think Cadillac will sell well” is not evidence it will sell well. A Commodore is not a CTS. A CTS would sell for nearly double the equivalent Commodore, AND not have the brand recognition, AND not have the backup of fleet sales to support their sales numbers. Look at how expensive the average Camaro is in Oz, and imagine that inflated price tacked onto a car that’s already approaching triple digit price tags in the US. There’s no market for a big American luxury saloon in Australia. You can barely convince Americans to buy em anymore.

or in short, your argument is “Mercedes participating for 3 years and then leaving due to a lack of interest is why Cadillac should join”.

Last edited:
in short, your argument is “Mercedes participating for 3 years and then leaving due to a lack of interest is why Cadillac should join”.

The argument is “Mercedes participated for three years and managed to find support from the fans, so Cadillac can find support as well if they choose to join.”

What you wrote sounds more like your argument for why they shouldn’t join, not his argument for why they should.

Latest Posts

Back