The Cars That Were Made Famous by GT

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by GT_Prologue5, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Yup, that was me! "What the hell's a Skyliner?" I thought there was an "R" on the end at first. :lol:

2. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Ah yes, I remember I used to pronounce the Evo and the Roman numerals after it together. So Evo III will be Evolll, Evo IV will be Evoif, and EvoVI will be Evovee :lol: Blame PD for not putting a space :lol:

3. gtsweden

gtsweden

l miss my Gran Turismo 1 :(

4. Mr. CoolFiat

Mr. CoolFiat (Banned)

Mazda Demio!! YES MAN!! That was the slowest car, I think in GT1! THat was si funny!

5. hyyperactive

hyyperactive

Skylines and mitsubishi GTOs were cars I had never heard of. And the escudo. Also tommy kairas were something totally new to me. So mostly japanese cars imho.

I was playing need for speed before gt1 so the rx7s, supras, corvettes and vipers were nothing new.

6. AMCNUT

AMCNUT

My Friend's dad has a white '82 or '83 (forget which) that he bought and it's in superb shape! I even got to ride in it once - it boots along quite nicely!

7. Kurumi

Kurumi Premium

I saw some cars in the game before, but since I was only 5, Gran Turismo was the game that created my love for cars and racing. I remember the first car I bought, a Sprinter Trueno. Took me 4 years to actually get truly involved in the game. I was shocked the first time I saw a 300ZX (Fairlady Z) I was in awe. It was beautiful,

8. Tonnie073

Tonnie073

The kubel and schimmwagen, ever heard of those before gt5?

9. Mr. CoolFiat

Mr. CoolFiat (Banned)

I was 5 too when I got my PS1 with GT1, FIFA 2001, and NFS: 3!!! OMG :cheers:

10. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Cars that were made famous by GT?

Depends where you live. Like others have said, British people knew of Jensen, TVR and possibly Lister before GT. That said, there are several cars that I adore thanks to GT;

Eunos Cosmo
    Mazda RX-7
    Toyota Supra
    Toyota Chaser
    Mitubishi Lancer Evos II-IV
    Mercury Cougar
    Chevrolet Corvettes
    Dodge Vipers

The only two of those I have never seen on Welsh roads are the Cosmo and the Cougar. Not that Vipers and RX-7s are particularly common, but I have seen them and would have known of them without GT. I had never heard of Lincoln, Plymouth, Shelby, Daihatsu nor Subaru prior to GT. But wether GT made them 'famous'? Like I said depends where you come from.

11. Rich S

Rich S

I knew about the RX-7 & NSX long before ever playing Gran Turismo, so those cars dont qualify at all.

The Nissan sports car however, definitely. All the Nissans, the Silvia, the Skyline, The GTR. All except the 350Z and 370Z were "made" by PD essentially. Somebody is a big Nissan fan.....

[​IMG]

12. Skython

Skython

Hearing people saying that for younger people, GT brought them into cars. I am a living example, GT3 was the first game that I ever played, on Super Speedway, and ever since, I've been a petrol head, so for me, almost every car in GT was made famous, but for the world, as previously said, TVR and Tommy Kaira, but what about the Toyota 7. And, no one's thought of what cars GT5 has made famous or more well known, the Mercedes SLS (never knew of it till GT5 announced it was in the game), then GTPSP brought up the Mazda Furai, GT4 the Peugeot 905.

That's all I can think of

13. Crashbroke23

Crashbroke23

I find that the Toyota GT-One and the Nissan R390 got more famous, as they were the fastest and most desirable cars in GT2 outside of the Escudo/Cutlus combo. And they were just awesome. The Espace F1 would get the nod as well, as everyone (me included) want it back in a future GT game.

(At least, that's my opinion/wild swing in the dark)

14. Liquid

Liquid Premium

The GT-One, yes. Gran Turismo definitely brought the TS020 to my attention. I had also never heard of Ruf before Gran Turismo either.

15. Smart_Roadster

Smart_Roadster

No way! You actually know someone with an NSX?

16. Smart_Roadster

Smart_Roadster

How come nobody's mentioned the midget? The tiny pickup truck that no other serious simulator (that includes you, Forza!) would have the guts to include.

Also, I agree with:
    Toyota GT-One
    Skylines, Silvias, Imprezas, Evos, etc, etc
    Espace F1
    Tommy Kairas

And I'd like to add:
    Tom's Angel
    Daihatsu Move
    Toyota Sera
    Nike One

17. Caio_Reinhardt

Caio_Reinhardt

Lots of cars...

For me the Supra was the most shocking...Was absolutely fast

18. Bopop4

Bopop4

ST205 Rally Celica, also learned about that Finish rally driver Tommi from the evolution rally car.

19. Tintorera

Tintorera Premium

I would say the Mitsubishi GTO made a big impression on me in GT2.

The GT series har really been a great contributer to my car interest since I was 13-14 yeares old when GT launched. I am now 27 with wife and kids, but still love to get on front of my G27 and do some laps in GT5

I love this game!

20. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

I don't actually know her, I just see her driving around. She's an older Asian lady, apparently uses her NSX as a daily driver because I see that car almost every day driving past my garage. she shops at Safeway, too, just like the rest of us! Lol.

21. Wiegert

Wiegert Premium

I knew someone in secondary school a few years ago who's dad drove a red NSX, but I only ever saw it a couple of times. I did see a red NSX in January not far from where I live, perhaps it was the same one.

22. jacnob

jacnob

I have at least 2 80 model ones here in town, and i've seen 3 or 4 90s models around my area.:):) I don't own them (i wish i did though)

23. Caio_Reinhardt

Caio_Reinhardt

It had a 3.0 Automatic with RHD here in São Paulo for sale...Very rare here in Brazil...

24. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Dodge Copperhead should get an honourable mention? I would never had heard of it if I had not played GT.

Given that it set the precedant for the often trivial inclusion of concept cars used by later GTs, it's a bitter/sweet mention for this unique Dodge.

On the plus, the RM went like stink.

25. WalkerInTN

WalkerInTN

You must be kidding or just too young to know better. The Viper came out in 1992 & was a huge hit with the public. The Viper GTS-R started racing on track in 1996 & had already made a pretty good name for itself well before the first GT game came along.

The second generation Viper continued where the old car left off & already had an existing fan base of customers ready to buy them. And it was selling just fine before being included in a GT game.

I'd expect to hear this from someone in a far away land who might have never seen a Viper, but from someone in PA? Seriously?

26. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Um...GT5_Prologue is only 14. *shrugs* Although I knew a lot about cars back when I was 14 (I got Road & Track early) there was plenty I didn't know about. How about you?

27. WalkerInTN

WalkerInTN

My question then would be how does a 14 year old know what cars were made famous by GT1? That game was released in 1998 here in the US, which means he was 1 year old when the game came out. Like I said, he either had to be kidding or too young to know better. Know we know he was just too young.

Wasn't trying to start an arguement, I just wanted to point out the facts concerning the Viper. The name it had already made for itself on the street & track are what got it included in the GT game. It was already a famous car before GT came along.

28. splaky

splaky

The Escudo has been one of the most consistent cars in terms of being the "best" throughout the series.

29. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

He's just seeming fascinated by cars and the lineage & history that brought them into our games, I'm guessing. And us older, more knowledgable folks are here to help. :)

When I was 14 I was all about learning cars and stuff. Got Popular Mechanics, Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc. There was no Internet back then (early '80s) but if there was, I'd probably have shown up here asking the same sorts of questions and posting similar topics to GT5_Prologue.

30. WalkerInTN

WalkerInTN

Sounds like we're about the same age (42 here). I can understand him wanting to learn & being excited & all that. At 14 I was trying to learn all I could about cars & was just learning to drive.

My issue is that he posted a statement that's simply not true & I just wanted to set the record straight.