The Cars That Were Made Famous by GT

but unless you're skilled, these cars are pretty dire to drive. On the other hand, a GT-R looks sedate, and power and weight figures are unimpressive, but to a beginner it's a god-send.

Yup, that was me! "What the hell's a Skyliner?" I thought there was an "R" on the end at first. :lol:

Ah yes, I remember I used to pronounce the Evo and the Roman numerals after it together. So Evo III will be Evolll, Evo IV will be Evoif, and EvoVI will be Evovee :lol: Blame PD for not putting a space :lol:

GT_Prologue, you seriously didn't know about the Benz Patent Motorwagen before GT? How about any of Benz's early efforts? Wow. They're like in almost every historical automotive book I've ever looked at. Then again, I understand kids today don't at books as much as we did :rolleyes: before the internet.

I'd like to add the biggest underdog from Gran Turismo 1: the Mazda Demio. Yes, it's a slug, but at this point if it were missing in any GT game, I'd surely notice!

I also never heard of Skylines or Silvias before GT, being an American and all. Although some Silvias from the '90s equate to our 240SXes.

Mazda Cosmo...

Any TVRs (I grew up reading Road & Track and other mags, but somewhere in my 20s lost interest...was out of touch with what was happening in the world of cars until i started playing GT 7 years ago, so I never heard of this small company).

Mazda Demio!! YES MAN!! That was the slowest car, I think in GT1! THat was si funny!

Skylines and mitsubishi GTOs were cars I had never heard of. And the escudo. Also tommy kairas were something totally new to me. So mostly japanese cars imho.

I was playing need for speed before gt1 so the rx7s, supras, corvettes and vipers were nothing new.

I knew someone in Waterloo Ontario who owned a Celica Supra in the 1980s.

My Friend's dad has a white '82 or '83 (forget which) that he bought and it's in superb shape! I even got to ride in it once - it boots along quite nicely!

I saw some cars in the game before, but since I was only 5, Gran Turismo was the game that created my love for cars and racing. I remember the first car I bought, a Sprinter Trueno. Took me 4 years to actually get truly involved in the game. I was shocked the first time I saw a 300ZX (Fairlady Z) I was in awe. It was beautiful,

I saw some cars in the game before, but since I was only 5, Gran Turismo was the game that created my love for cars and racing. I remember the first car I bought, a Sprinter Trueno. Took me 4 years to actually get truly involved in the game. I was shocked the first time I saw a 300ZX (Fairlady Z) I was in awe. It was beautiful,

I was 5 too when I got my PS1 with GT1, FIFA 2001, and NFS: 3!!! OMG :cheers:

Cars that were made famous by GT?

Depends where you live. Like others have said, British people knew of Jensen, TVR and possibly Lister before GT. That said, there are several cars that I adore thanks to GT;

Eunos Cosmo
Mazda RX-7
Toyota Supra
Toyota Chaser
Mitubishi Lancer Evos II-IV
Mercury Cougar
Chevrolet Corvettes
Dodge Vipers

The only two of those I have never seen on Welsh roads are the Cosmo and the Cougar. Not that Vipers and RX-7s are particularly common, but I have seen them and would have known of them without GT. I had never heard of Lincoln, Plymouth, Shelby, Daihatsu nor Subaru prior to GT. But wether GT made them 'famous'? Like I said depends where you come from.

I knew about the RX-7 & NSX long before ever playing Gran Turismo, so those cars dont qualify at all.

The Nissan sports car however, definitely. All the Nissans, the Silvia, the Skyline, The GTR. All except the 350Z and 370Z were "made" by PD essentially. Somebody is a big Nissan fan.....

feature-Yamauchi.png

Hearing people saying that for younger people, GT brought them into cars. I am a living example, GT3 was the first game that I ever played, on Super Speedway, and ever since, I've been a petrol head, so for me, almost every car in GT was made famous, but for the world, as previously said, TVR and Tommy Kaira, but what about the Toyota 7. And, no one's thought of what cars GT5 has made famous or more well known, the Mercedes SLS (never knew of it till GT5 announced it was in the game), then GTPSP brought up the Mazda Furai, GT4 the Peugeot 905.

That's all I can think of

I find that the Toyota GT-One and the Nissan R390 got more famous, as they were the fastest and most desirable cars in GT2 outside of the Escudo/Cutlus combo. And they were just awesome. The Espace F1 would get the nod as well, as everyone (me included) want it back in a future GT game.

(At least, that's my opinion/wild swing in the dark)

The GT-One, yes. Gran Turismo definitely brought the TS020 to my attention. I had also never heard of Ruf before Gran Turismo either.

How come nobody's mentioned the midget? The tiny pickup truck that no other serious simulator (that includes you, Forza!) would have the guts to include.

Also, I agree with:
Toyota GT-One
Skylines, Silvias, Imprezas, Evos, etc, etc
Espace F1
Tommy Kairas

And I'd like to add:
Tom's Angel
Daihatsu Move
Toyota Sera
Nike One

I would say the Mitsubishi GTO made a big impression on me in GT2.

The GT series har really been a great contributer to my car interest since I was 13-14 yeares old when GT launched. I am now 27 with wife and kids, but still love to get on front of my G27 and do some laps in GT5

I love this game!

No way! You actually know someone with an NSX?

I don't actually know her, I just see her driving around. She's an older Asian lady, apparently uses her NSX as a daily driver because I see that car almost every day driving past my garage. She shops at Safeway too, just like the rest of us! Lol.

Last edited:
I knew someone in secondary school a few years ago who's dad drove a red NSX, but I only ever saw it a couple of times. I did see a red NSX in January not far from where I live, perhaps it was the same one.

What about the Toyota Supra, basically all models of it? When I was a younger, I had never heard of or seen a Supra until playing Gran Turismo. I've only come across three or four in real life, and those were at car shows/drift events. I'm on the east coast US too, so they're pretty rare here.

I have at least 2 80 model ones here in town, and i've seen 3 or 4 90s models around my area.:):) I don't own them (i wish i did though)

Dodge Copperhead should get an honourable mention? I would never had heard of it if I had not played GT.

Given that it set the precedant for the often trivial inclusion of concept cars used by later GTs, it's a bitter/sweet mention for this unique Dodge.

On the plus, the RM went like stink.

How to keep this staement real. I want to know all the cars made famous by GT. (all GT's) I have a couple for us:

1999-2006 Dodge Viper- The craziest of all of GT. Since GT1, the V10-powered super-couper hasd torn up the puny machines. GT's probably greatest car of all time.

Anyone got any other ideas?

You must be kidding or just too young to know better. The Viper came out in 1992 & was a huge hit with the public. The Viper GTS-R started racing on track in 1996 & had already made a pretty good name for itself well before the first GT game came along.

The second generation Viper continued where the old car left off & already had an existing fan base of customers ready to buy them. And it was selling just fine before being included in a GT game.

I'd expect to hear this from someone in a far away land who might have never seen a Viper, but from someone in PA? Seriously?

You must be kidding or just too young to know better. The Viper came out in 1992 & was a huge hit with the public. The Viper GTS-R started racing on track in 1996 & had already made a pretty good name for itself well before the first GT game came along.

The second generation Viper continued where the old car left off & already had an existing fan base of customers ready to buy them. And it was selling just fine before being included in a GT game.

I'd expect to hear this from someone in a far away land who might have never seen a Viper, but from someone in PA? Seriously?

Um...GT5_Prologue is only 14. *shrugs* Although I knew a lot about cars back when I was 14 (I got Road & Track early) there was plenty I didn't know about. How about you?

Um...GT5_Prologue is only 14. *shrugs* Although I knew a lot about cars back when I was 14 (I got Road & Track early) there was plenty I didn't know about. How about you?

My question then would be how does a 14 year old know what cars were made famous by GT1? That game was released in 1998 here in the US, which means he was 1 year old when the game came out. Like I said, he either had to be kidding or too young to know better. Know we know he was just too young.

Wasn't trying to start an arguement, I just wanted to point out the facts concerning the Viper. The name it had already made for itself on the street & track are what got it included in the GT game. It was already a famous car before GT came along.

My question then would be how does a 14 year old know what cars were made famous by GT1? That game was released in 1998 here in the US, which means he was 1 year old when the game came out. Like I said, he either had to be kidding or too young to know better. Know we know he was just too young.

Wasn't trying to start an arguement, I just wanted to point out the facts concerning the Viper. The name it had already made for itself on the street & track are what got it included in the GT game. It was already a famous car before GT came along.

He's just seeming fascinated by cars and the lineage & history that brought them into our games, I'm guessing. And us older, more knowledgable folks are here to help. :)

When I was 14 I was all about learning cars and stuff. Got Popular Mechanics, Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc. There was no Internet back then (early '80s) but if there was, I'd probably have shown up here asking the same sorts of questions and posting similar topics to GT5_Prologue.

He's just seeming fascinated by cars and the lineage & history that brought them into our games, I'm guessing. And us older, more knowledgable folks are here to help. :)

When I was 14 I was all about learning cars and stuff. Got Popular Mechanics, Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc. There was no Internet back then (early '80s) but if there was, I'd probably have shown up here asking the same sorts of questions and posting similar topics to GT5_Prologue.

Sounds like we're about the same age (42 here). I can understand him wanting to learn & being excited & all that. At 14 I was trying to learn all I could about cars & was just learning to drive.

My issue is that he posted a statement that's simply not true & I just wanted to set the record straight.

Back