The Cars That Were Made Famous by GT

I had NEVER heard of Fiat before GT. The first time I saw one was in GT3, which featured only the Coupe Turbo Plus. I was 10 at the time. When I saw it I shouted "COOPIE! Mom there's a big yellow coopie in this game!" My mom was like O_o. Good times.

Sounds like we're about the same age (42 here). I can understand him wanting to learn & being excited & all that. At 14 I was trying to learn all I could about cars & was just learning to drive.

Ha ha, I "learned" how to drive when I was 13 and my parents went away on vacation for 2 weeks. Got behind the wheel of their Peugeot 504 and did several drives around my neighborhood, heart pounding and all that! :scared:

My issue is that he posted a statement that's simply not true & I just wanted to set the record straight.

Sho 'nuff.

Ah, the TVR Speed 12! I still have nightmares about that car from GT2. Taking it out for a spin would always prove to be equal to disaster, sooner or later. I believe the gas pedal from the Speed 12 is actually on some list for the world's most wanted terrorists?

For me, I'll always remember the R32-GTR in Gun Metal from the first GT.

And the NSX that first persuaded me to appreciate MR layout, too.

The Renault Espace F1 was also an attention-getter. I challenged myself to win GT All Stars on Red-Rock using the F1...

Cars I especially enjoyed from each...
without really thinking much I'd have to say:
-GT1 = TVR Cerbera LM
-GT2 = Ford GT40 Race Car / *edit* add: Toyota GT-One
-GT3 = Opel Tigra Ice Race Car / Lotus Motorsport Elise
-GT4 = Mazda 787B
-GT5 = RUF CTR2 / Honda S2000 GT1 / Mazda Furai / McLaren F1
- I was also pleasantly surprised with my tuned-out Honda DN-X (aka. Dualnote Concept)

and, I would be foolish to omit the Vipers :)
I never did get the GT90 - but it looks like a slab :indiff:

Last edited:
I actually sat in a Subaru SVX once. It was in the junkyard where I took my previous car when buying my Impreza wagon. I sat in it to see if its chicken handle would work in my new car. It wouldn't, so I paid a moderately large amount to get one for my wife's side of the car.

That's cool Sportwagon! I never mentioned that I sat in a 1991 Nissan Skyline. My tutor owned it and I got to wash it and sit in it before she sold it. If I had $8000 I would've bought the car. It was navy blue in color, it wasn't a GT-R. More than likely it was a GTS Type-M or something. When I saw it I was in awe, if it wasn't for Gran Turismo I would've just thought of it as a normal car. That's how Gran Turismo made many cars famous.

My Auntie brought a 1990 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Automatic (Not sure if was the 2.5 or 3.0 model) last year. It was actually really quite cramped (Well a 2 door coupe with 4 people sitting in it at any one time would be cramped wouldn't it?) and it bad turbo lag. It did have a cool electronic speedo though 👍

I actually sat in a Subaru SVX once. It was in the junkyard where I took my previous car when buying my Impreza wagon. I sat in it to see if its chicken handle would work in my new car. It wouldn't, so I paid a moderately large amount to get one for my wife's side of the car.

My father had a red SVX from 1995 to 2006. We called it "The Big Red Machine". I had a lot of fun riding in that car ever since I was born. Just too bad the car began having problems and we had to trade it in soon after for a 2007 Impreza. I never had the chance to actually drive it.

The car was small and a bit crowded, especially in the back seat. But I was surprised that I was only one inch away from the ceiling while in the booster seat at age 6. I would have driven that car every day even if I did not have a task or even if there was a tornado out.

SVXes are weird. Every time I see one I stop and stare. Something about them and their odd trapezoidy angled cabin area. Yea, I know trapezoidy isn't a word. :crazy: When I first got in to GT back in 2003, the SVX is one of the first cars I noticed (which I previously never noticed) on the streets. What an odd design. We hardly have any SVXes in America, which adds to their mystique.

Considering that Citroen actually planned to sell 6 of them, I think it is now. Production hasn't started on any, but the concept is a working model.

Oh well, thanks for the clarification Thy Great McLaren! :D

i didnt read all five pages of this thread so sorry if i repost some things. obviously, there are people in the US that didnt know what a R34 was, or people in Japan that didnt know what a Vette was. but we (most), as car people, knew about these cars well before gt1. i think the biggest thing the gt series has done for us is to see the performance capabilities and tuning potential for these "cars from distant places". since im from the US, ill use myself as an example. given, i was young at the time, but i had no idea that a I6 "ricer" car (RB/2JZ) could tower over a v8 muscle in the power dept...actually some 4 bangers too. at the time though i was sheltered and bias, but as i went on i learned to appreciate all cars for w/e their specific purpose. i now own 3 Japanese cars lol

i didnt read all five pages of this thread so sorry if i repost some things. obviously, there are people in the US that didnt know what a R34 was, or people in Japan that didnt know what a Vette was. but we (most), as car people, knew about these cars well before gt1. i think the biggest thing the gt series has done for us is to see the performance capabilities and tuning potential for these "cars from distant places". since im from the US, ill use myself as an example. given, i was young at the time, but i had no idea that a I6 "ricer" car (RB/2JZ) could tower over a v8 muscle in the power dept...actually some 4 bangers too. at the time though i was sheltered and bias, but as i went on i learned to appreciate all cars for w/e their specific purpose. i now own 3 Japanese cars lol

WTF? Are you kidding me? You're supposed to read all the pages so you don't repeat things. It's about the quality of the posts not the quantity.

I saw that in Australia quite a few cars were pretty popular around the same time they debuted in each of their respective games.

For example, Mazda Demio and Chrysler PT Cruisers were fairly popular around GT3's release.

WTF? Are you kidding me? You're supposed to read all the pages so you don't repeat things. It's about the quality of the posts not the quantity.

the point that i was making was i dont believe the GT series made any car more popular by itself....if at all. but GT did allow us to see each cars abilities as being the first true simulator. im sorry i had to explain that to you...and speaking of quality post, take your own advise.

GT_Prologue, you seriously didn't know about the Benz Patent Motorwagen before GT? How about any of Benz's early efforts? Wow. They're like in almost every historical automotive book I've ever looked at. Then again, I understand kids today don't at books as much as we did :rolleyes: before the internet.

I'd like to add the biggest underdog from Gran Turismo 1: the Mazda Demio. Yes, it's a slug, but at this point if it were missing in any GT game, I'd surely notice!

I also never heard of Skylines or Silvias before GT, being an American and all. Although some Silvias from the '90s equate to our 240SXes.

Mazda Cosmo...

Any TVRs (I grew up reading Road & Track and other mags, but somewhere in my 20s lost interest...was out of touch with what was happening in the world of cars until i started playing GT 7 years ago, so I never heard of this small company).

when i was a kid and playing GT1 i always wanted to buy Demio when i grow up. Now they call it Mazda2 and its look sucks. but original 97 demio looks fantastic even in real world to me.

Back