The CART thing: venting

• Thread starter Sertsa
  • 7 comments
I just need to vent. I decided to go rent some other games and got CART Fury, mostly because there are two CART races run within a 1-3 hours of where I live and wondered if the tracks were in there.

Well, they're not. Nor any track with any basis of reality. Actually, there's absolutely nothing with any basis of reality in the game. I'm just astonished at how hideous this thing is. It's so bad on every level, I feel personally offended that it even exists.

And what was CART thinking licensing this thing? They lose Honda and maybe some other engine-suppliers, lose some of their best drivers, and license the most inane thing I've ever seen?

OK, I've vented. Sorry. Are there any good open-wheeled racing games for the PS-2?

Only Papyrus did any justice to CART racing, known at that time as Indycar racing.

On PS2, only title worthy of even a rental is EA's (yes, EA) F1 2001. This one is a mixed bag. Fantastic real life tracks, great looking cars and handling, weather effects, fully animated pit-stops, etc. Bad F1 rules, choppy frame rates with many cars on screen (race mode, 1st lap, 1st corner).

The sense of speed is astonishing and the sounds of the engine is very believeable. What is not believeable is being forced to drive through bus-stop chicane at Spa at 100+mph. That is just not realistic but you need to do this to clear one of the tests. From that point on, it was a down hill for the game.

You can drive a Minardi and still finish up front. What the hey? All the cars behave slightly differently but I do not expect Minardi and Arrows to pass half a dozen cars on the first lap of the race, let alone keeping up with the front runners.

Still, this is the best open wheel racing title currently available on PS2 and deserves at least a rental. Make sure you rent it first!

FYI, 989 version of F1 will feel like crap compare to this. The difference is so vividly clear that I rented 989 and purchased EA version on the same day, played 1 lap in 989 -> did not like. Tried EA, liked it instantly and actually thought it was impressive (until the 100+mph through the bus-stop chicane at Spa) . . . . .

Thanks, InterCooler. I looked for EA's F1 at the rental place, but they didn't have it. Maybe I should just wait until I get around to getting a new, upgraded computer before finding a good open-wheeled game. The bizarre thing is, I figured I could use the PS2 for games, so I don't wind up on the endlessny new computer loop just for games. For everything else I do, my Celeron computer is more than enough.

I'm just glad I didn't spend the money to buy that CART thing. I looked at it, saw it was a Midway title and figured I'd better rent it first instead. (I was disappointed with their Spy Hunter thing).

Originally posted by Sertsa
I'm just glad I didn't spend the money to buy that CART thing. I looked at it, saw it was a Midway title and figured I'd better rent it first instead. (I was disappointed with their Spy Hunter thing).

Yeah - didn't that thing tank?

Rave reviews for about a month leading up to release and then (to quote Mrs Bitters from Invader Zim) '...NOTHING!!!'.

There's the odd discount for it here and there - I played a demo and can't say I was that impressed.

vat man: you mean Spy Hunter? Yeah, I couldn't believe all the reviews, and I remembered the arcade version from way back, so I got a copy. It's pretty sad and can be played through very quickly. Even the unlocked things are lame, like a video on the making of Spy Hunter, with programers talking about how great it is and that it was the game to be on. I thought, well, if this is the best they can do, I'll know better than to buy anything else from them. So, I didn't expect much from the CART rentel, but even then, it turned out to be astonishingly bad. Ah well.

Doh, I thought you were talking about PS2 games, Sertsa! The PC version of F1 may be different from the PS2 version.

When it comes to open wheel racing on PC, you cannot beat Grand Prix Legends, period (if you can find it). I only have Pentium 150 (yes Pentium 1) so I have less than minimum system requirements. I was able to play for a while at 13 FPS but eventually gave up because my set-up is so impractical (especially with 2 youngsters around who wants to play along with you).

Originally posted by Sertsa
OK, I've vented. Sorry. Are there any good open-wheeled racing games for the PS-2?

I don't think there are any good open wheel games on the PS2. But if you don't mind the sub-PS2 graphics, than CART World Series is an excellent CART game, even though it is a PSone game. You can usually find it on eBay or in a used game shop. It is really a great game.
Another one to check out is CART Flag to Flag for the Dreamcast, again another good, solid CART game. That is, if you have a Dreamcast. Which they are so cheap now you could get one and the game for less than $70 (and that's new) :D

Back