The Clio Race Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter wildcard
  • 52 comments
  • 1,347 views
*cough* Alrighty guys, this isn't that far off topic, but lets ease back a little closer.

The Clio is a great car in idea and execution, and a pretty much direct descendent of the R5 Turbo. I haven't driven the street version in the game but I love the race car. It handles like a kart, and in stock form the race car will cream the competition on the Seattle Enduro.

It's a treat to drive. In fact, one of my next tasks is the Clio Cup, though I think I'll buy a street car to run in it.
 
I would recommend the street version for the series, I did it in a racer that I won, and there was no competition.
 
Yeah, that's what I figured. Is it like the Elise Trophy where there are some racers and some streeters?
 
I still don't get the initial problem...

I run the PAL version (like Turbosmoke) and I can see the power of the car stock in the garage, specs screen, showroom and showroom specs screen... What gives?

I was on for buying a Clio V6 230 as an alternative to the Mk4 Supra TT, but now I'm unemployed I can't move on either until I can afford to run them :(
 
Originally posted by Rat Bastid
Nope, all street cars.
Then I'm most assuredly visiting the dealer. The last time I ran a racecar against street cars was the Beginners Stars & Stripes in the Camaro racer - it was the only eligible car I owned.

That ended my desire to get to 100% without buying cars!
 
Heh, I beat time trials first and got the GTR-1. I'm using THAT to run Stars & Stripes. Talk about overkill.
kideng
 
Wow, that Clio Race Car...it almost looks exactly the same as the one in the game! :eek:
 
Clio V6 Racer Specs (for the real thing)

Engine: 6-cyl, 2946cc transverse, mid
Max Power: 285 bhp @ 7800rpm
Max Torque: 231 lb ft @ 6800rpm
Weight (kerb): 1100kg
Power-to-weight: 268bhp per ton
0-60mph: 4.5 sec (est)
Max speed: 145 (est)

Not sure on how to convert the torque figure to something that equates with the specs in GT.

Would be interesting to see how these specs compare with the figures in GT3

As for the Clio Cup you may as well buy a road car fit some slicks change the oil and go racing. I wonder how it would fair in the PD cup??
 
I may have to try that! I bet it would be a good race against the "350Z" Cup. Or maybe that's what I'll use for the Trial Mountain Enduro, which I haven't run yet.
 
Maybe......i think it could be a bit down on power but its worth a try. :D

For more information on the 2002 season of the Clio trophy click here

http://www.renault-sport.fr/accueil.html

Then clic on the link clio trophy. Looks like the series isn't running this year (text is in french).
 
lbft (the real units of torque) to kgm (the GT3 units)

1kg = 2.204lb
1m = 3.28 ft

So 1kgm = 7.23lbft

Therefore 231lbft converts to 31.9 kgm.
 
In the NTSC version, though, they changed the units without doing the actual calculations... so it's all messed up.
 
And the PWR/TWR figures are actually WPR/WTR... Cretins... :D
 
Originally posted by graveltrap
A car doesn't have to be fast to enjoy it, I've been running a standard version (just 262bhp) in sim tyre challange on the spot race forum (managed a 1:56.974 round monaco) and its just great fun to drive due to its mid engined V6 drive train

I agree - it's quite similar to a tuned IS200 - fantastic grip, and the car's all about maintaining momentum and revs. Great fun.

You notice in the side-on photo there the driver's sitting almost exactly in the middle of the wheelbase.
 
Had to try the race car out round Monaco to see how much of a difference there is between it and the road car. So aquired one new V6 race car bought a set of sim tyres and had a go :D current best lap 1:49.408 ;)

Also found out that there was a race at Monaco in the clio trophy last year.........pole position time 1:49.613 pretty close to the time i'd just set. I do think that the game model has a advantage having more horses and of course the drivers not going to get killed when it gets put in the wall..........fun trying though :D

I see what you mean about being no stats for power and torque in the dealer (i'm a pal user), I think that this is because it is a race car......for example the Panoz also does not show power and torque figures (from my bad memory) ;)

Once the car has been bought all stats are viewable in the garage screen :confused:
 
I've actually tested this car as a candidate for the R246 Enduro. It may be fast enough with T2's and good pit strategy. It'll turn consistent 1.40.xxx's with the stage 2 turbo.
 
Originally posted by graveltrap
So aquired one new V6 race car bought a set of sim tyres and had a go :D current best lap 1:49.408

One recent OLR had a stock Clio V6 Race Car, with full-racing suspension and T8 tyres ONLY added at Monaco. My best lap was 1'35.033, although someone managed 1'32.1 (scary). Amazing what a difference tyres makes - 10 grades (sim, normal, sports, T1 - T8) drop, 14s time drop on one lap! :D
 
tyres are one of the best upgrades to buy in gt3 have to try Monaco with the T8's ;)
 
Back