The Cloverfield Thread: Love it? Hate it?Movies 

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 263 comments
Possible spoilers
IMO, I didnt enjoy it at all. The party didnt exactly tie up to the plot either. Altogether, crappy movie đź‘Ž

It was funny when that women just blew up though after getting bitten by that thing :lol:

I still haven't seen it yet, but I've got a good idea on how it ended, and my hypothesis?

This Cloverfield movie is a segway into a "full" style movie that will be more traditional in its approach of storytelling, presumably explaining the origin of the monster, and of course, what happens after this one.

I can only hope that's what will happen.

Let's just say this...
If a huge monster was walking towards me or standing over me I certainly wouldn't just stand there with a camera watching until I was chomped into monster food.

I hate to mix realism with movies but wouldn't you think you'd be in a teency weency bit of shock?

I can only hope that's what will happen.
Kent
Let's just say this...
If a huge monster was walking towards me or standing over me I certainly wouldn't just stand there with a camera watching until I was chomped into monster food.

I hate to mix realism with movies but wouldn't you think you'd be in a teency weency bit of shock?

Bravo!
I was about to say the same thing. Of course, people like to talk out of their exhaust pipe and just assume everything. You CANNOT certainly tell what you would do in these particular situations, specially if we're talking about A MONSTER. As you can tell, the aim of the movie, is to make the footages, characters and reactions as realistic as possible, that includes our disbeliefs in MOSTERS. That being said, how, but HOW do you come to your senses and start running away expecting to end up alive, from a 100ft monster that you have never even thought it existed, which is by the way, right on top of you. I've seen people freak out, completely petrified when they're being robbed by a crook, and only hours after, they realize they could have actually done something to fight back the thief.

People are funny, I swear :lol:

Let's just say this...
If a huge monster was walking towards me or standing over me I certainly wouldn't just stand there with a camera watching until I was chomped into monster food. :rolleyes:
Well, now that just reminded me of that Camera Guy just standing there while Zilla missed him barely.(godZilla 1998, the day that Diddy used Kashmir and a Orchestra for his music video.)

I still haven't seen it yet, but I've got a good idea on how it ended, and my hypothesis?

This Cloverfield movie is a segway into a "full" style movie that will be more traditional in its approach of storytelling, presumably explaining the origin of the monster, and of course, what happens after this one.
I removed your spoiler tags because you weren't ruining anything.

I thought you were correct after seeing the movie last night, but this morning on the radio they wre discussing a possible sequel and made mention of how, even in the trailers, you see plenty of others with cameras.

I can easily see JJ Abrams making a trilogy or something where each movie is a new perspective and when you put them all together you get the explanations. Just for fun he could even have the original characters seen in the background.

---------------------------------

Now, my thoughts on the film. As is often the case for seeing movies with my friends, alcohol was in my system. So, I may see it again and change my mind.

I liked it. It wasn't some blow me away movie, but it was fun and good.

I will address a couple of complaints I have heard said:

• The monster is just like Godzilla - If you think this you either were more drunk than I or you have not seen this or Godzilla ever. The best way to describe this would be rampaging animal, not semi-intelligent powered attacks.
  • It is Blair Witch + Monster - Not once did I get a Blair Witch flashback, but there was a lot less cussing and no snot drinking. Seriously though, it even feels completely different.

The rest will be spoilerish, so tags on!
-The characters are stupid - How so? I can see the thinking that you would run if the monster was right over you instead of standing there, but his breathing even changed. I believe they were trying to say that he was in shock. Then going back to save Beth makes complete sense to me. I tried really hard to convince myslf that was a bad move, but all I coudl think was that if I got that call from my wife I would have done the same thing, or if my best friend had gotten that call from his wife I would have helped him.

-They keep finding the monster - Think about it. They keep avoiding where the attacks are as they work their way along. Where is the monster going to go when it is being attacked? Away from the attack. If they had been coming along behind the attacks then it would be weird, but since the military was not aiding their direction they were going in the direction of least resistance, which would be where a crazed animal would go as well.
Overall it was a fun movie but it does have some faults. It leaves too many questions, but in my mind that is something I am willing to accept as part of the style.

My biggest issue was the monster appeared to be bit video game CGI-like. Almost glistening. As it was never 100% clear I don't know if it was on purpose or just poor CGI work.

Excellent date movie ;) and an overall great movie to boot. I loved the story telling and that you were not clued in to 3rd party omniscient information like the monsters origins, who would know that stuff anyway?

As to it not having any Blair Witch moments, what about at the end when the camera's looks into her face and she says "I'm so scared". That seems like a direct reference to me.

I watched it last night and thought it was pretty cool đź‘Ť a different perspective (with all footage from the hand held cam) than your usual monster movie! ... but that made it all the better imo :cheers: 8/10

As to it not having any Blair Witch moments, what about at the end when the camera's looks into her face and she says "I'm so scared". That seems like a direct reference to me.
Hmm, I'll have to think about it. I don't recall it seeming to be the same atmosphere at all, as in Blair Witch it was just a cheap ploy to add dialog and have the cameras on when they are "attacked" because if they were sleeping the cameras wouldn't have been running.

In Cloverfield it makes sense because it was them identifying themselves so that anyone who finds it can ID the victims.

My wife wants to see it so I think we will catch a matinee Saturday ($5). If we do I will pay attention and think about it more.

And I will be sober from the start so my whole take on the movie may be different.

Quick question for those that saw it:
What exactly was the Hammerdown, or whatever it was called, protocol? I know they were leveling the city, but are we talking about a nuke? That seems extreme when you couldn't get a fallout zone evacuated in that time. And a traditional style of massive carpet bombing seems like it would take a while and not be anymore effective that what they were doing.

I ask because wouldn't a nuke have blanked an SD card?

I think it was just going to be conventional bombing that would be hard for civilians to avoid being hit by, I think the bombing you see from the helicopter is just the beginning of this and what you hear on the crashed helicopters radio is them restarting it because of the monster still being alive.

has anyone checked out 1-18-08.com lately?

Two new interesting shots...

deadcloverfieldmonsterwi6.png

Yeah, and as the one is in the water I am thinking that it may not be the monster but whales killed before the attack.

Most of the pics were taken from the movies, or at least relate to what we see in the movie, but the last bunch, including what appears to be a drilling platform, are not.

Yeah, and as the one is in the water I am thinking that it may not be the monster but whales killed before the attack.

Most of the pics were taken from the movies, or at least relate to what we see in the movie, but the last bunch, including what appears to be a drilling platform, are not.

you've seen the fake news clip about the drilling platform being destroyed right?

Quick question for those that saw it:
What exactly was the Hammerdown, or whatever it was called, protocol? I know they were leveling the city, but are we talking about a nuke? That seems extreme when you couldn't get a fallout zone evacuated in that time. And a traditional style of massive carpet bombing seems like it would take a while and not be anymore effective that what they were doing.

I ask because wouldn't a nuke have blanked an SD card?

Hammerdown wasn't a nuke. The protocol was pretty much, that the Manhattan island would be completely bombed and destroyed if that's what it took to kill the monster. The bombs you see at the end, are the beginning phase.

Rob & his group were obviously warned that if they ventured back into Manhattan, the military could not be accounted for their deaths by going into an air raid zone.

As for the 2 pictures, I believe these will be clues that a sequel will probably be made because eventually, folks will want to learn the mystery behind the creature, or become tired of following clues. However, I hope JJ does not focus a sequel on the same day. I can not stress enough how boring that would that seem as the situations would be identical to this movie. If a sequel is done, then as I said on another forum, I would like to see an international point of view.

I mean, how many movies are out there where the 1 creature is actually terrorizing more than 1 country?

I'm gonna agree with you on this. The way the damage is done to the bodies, makes it appear as if they were bitten (top animal in picture), and then had the skin ripped from them like normal animals do (main animal in picture). I would expect as well that these are whales that were beached by the water, with the blood being, well, blood floating from the carcasses.

EDIT* I believe you're right. I didn't see it, but yes, that is a whale as you can see from the tail, & body.

Yeah, I'm just theorizing that these pics are more clues outside the movie story.

well the one pic on 11808 is directly from the news clip, which I think might have something to do with the monster waking up, which makes more sense, a satellite falling out of the sky and waking a monster up, or deep sea drilling doing the same.

Dudes. It's the loch ness monster. It makes perfect sense. It was too hungry for the small lake it was discovered in, so it had to move to bigger water for more food consumption. đź’ˇ

So it was woke up by the drilling, and it came on land to escape the noise, and there it began its rampage from being attacked.

Seriously.

This was a great movie. Period. From the perspective, it was fantastic.

If you don't like it, you're too picky. Period.

This obviously would be a love or hate film. I loved it, very engrossing. Not scary at all (for me), although it scared the **** out of my girlfriend and spent half of it either jumping or hiding. But then again she is a bit of a woose at horror films.

For the most part the characters are stupid and it reminded me of day after tomorrow with the main part of the plot. It has a bit of a crap ending to. I like non-happy endings, but it still wern't a very good ending.

8/10

Just got back from seeing it today, and OMG!!!!!!

I was skeptical about it from what Bee told me, but it was worth every penny. I didnt really mind the background plot and characters, I was so engrossed in the film.

10/10

I liked it because it isnt boring. it is fascinating bacause video camera doesnt stop even one minute. if this movie has been captured by static cameras I think most people will say about this movie it is a boring monster movie.
I give 8/10

and Odette Yustman is so beatiful

got around to seeing it finally. i'd have to say i was very hyped about this movie before the release but i felt let down.

the camera actually didnt bother me at all. the action was ok, great at times, but overall ok.

the dialogue to me was utter crap. the characters werent very likeable and their logic in situations just did not make sense to me at all.

some monster scenes didnt make sense to me either. it just seeemed a bit random.

overall id have to say id give this movie 6/10. interesting to watch if you have the oppourtunity, especially if its free but not something i would buy on dvd/hi def format release.

^ Belated April fools. :P

Again, possible spoilers

I only managed to see the movie today. Half of it was good, half of it wasn't.

The beginning 20 minutes didn't build up the characters for me at all. By the part where Rob was arguing with her outside I just wanted the action to start badly. This build-up was so bad I didn't feel sorry for them at all when they were killed one by one. When the action did start it was pretty tense and fairly realistic (minus the Statue of Liberty head). I then went on to think it was typical that they ALL wanted to follow Rob to save his ex-girlfriend when you would have really evacuated the city along with literally everyone else.

The rest of the movie was fine, even the camera work didn't bother me (only at the very beginning) but the ending was just... bad. The monster had come out of NO WHERE and happened to find them after the helicopter crash, and somehow managed to run away from it after it bit the camera man.

I'd give it a 6.5/10... possibly a 7 with the questions it leaves for a possible sequal.

More spoilers

Funnily enough I watched it for the first time today too. I agree it was a very mixed bag, I don't really know if I liked it or not. The film was tense once it go going and it was a pity that brunette exploded. The ending was complete and utter garbage, but I liked the intensity of the film once it got going. With regards to the all going to save Robs girlfried, tbh there's no way I'd want to leave a mate in that kind of situation. I know I can't say what I would actually do, but I have stayed with a friend when he's had a knife held to him and I'd like to think that I'd do the same against a 100ft monster. In extreme circumstances people can go to extreme lenths to do what has to be done so I didn't find that bit unrealistic. But the ending was horrendous, just where did the monster come from, they'd have seen it or heared it and I'm fairly certain that even though I can be very composed in certain circumstances, I would have dropped the camera and headed for that bridge like I needed a crap more than ever before, which given the situation might actually be the case.

Back