The current state of the political climate.

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 49 comments
I am not even discussing the biology, I am pointing out that getting bent out of shape over a pronoun is stupid first world idiocy.

I imagine that if somebody insisted on referring to you as "it" in a way that was clearly intended to irritate you that you would, eventually, become irritated.

I imagine that if somebody insisted on referring to you as "it" in a way that was clearly intended to irritate you that you would, eventually, become irritated.

No, no I wouldn't.

If you are so insecure that you collapse under the verbal weight of the incorrect pronoun you are pretty much not fit to be in general circulation with the rest of society.

The irritation phase is very brief and you enter the boredom phase soon after.

Granted I've never been called the wrong gender, but the phrase "pig nose" has been used often as an attempt to bully me and after awhile you just just have to wonder if the person has any originality.

I am not even discussing the biology
I figured by using the words "biological" and "thinks he's a female" it means you're discussing the biology even if it's only to discount it.

The irritation phase is very brief and you enter the boredom phase soon after.

Granted I've never been called the wrong gender, but the phrase "pig nose" has been used often as an attempt to bully me and after awhile you just just have to wonder if the person has any originality.
It certainly sounds like trollish behaviour to me regardless of how you personally react to it.

Last edited:
And trolls/bullies feed off reactions, so why feed them?
This sounds like a great solution to bullying on the personal level. This thread however appears to be concerned with combative dialogue on a national level. I don't think "Man up" is going to solve it.

This sounds like a great solution to bullying on the personal level. This thread however appears to be concerned with combative dialogue on a national level. I don't think "Man up" is going to solve it.

True, but the only person I have any control over is myself. So that's all I really worry about in this regard.

Actually, manning up and accepting that an incorrect pronoun is just that, an incorrect pronoun will go a long way towards resolving these petty 1st world conflicts.

Trollish behaviour is now the litmus test for going to war I suppose?

The supposed civilized educated 1st world has really reached rock bottom if national level debate and conflict is the order of the day based on.. wait for it... incorrect pronoun usage.

What will these people do when they come across a language with a somewhat abbreviated pronoun list and get incorrectly named in another persons native tongue?

True, but the only person I have any control over is myself. So that's all I really worry about in this regard.

I guess if this were the "current state of the personal political climate thread" then nobody would have any problems. *shrugs*.

Trollish behaviour is now the litmus test for going to war I suppose?
I really don't know where you're going with this. I figured the thread was about what was happening in one country. If we're talking about international relations I'm not sure whether rocking up with a list of recommended behaviours for the other side is going to get you very far in resolving anything. Especially if you've extended your scope beyond the "1st world".

I really don't know where you're going with this. I figured the thread was about what was happening in one country. If we're talking about international relations I'm not sure whether rocking up with a list of recommended behaviours is going to get you very far. Especially if you've extended your scope beyond the "1st world".
3rd world folks are just trying to survive - they are less bothered by the pronoun a person addresses them with.

That's where I am going with this - 1st world folks need to get some perspective and get a grip and grow a pair.

3rd world folks are just trying to survive - they are less bothered by the pronoun a person addresses them with.

That's where I am going with this - 1st world folks need to get some perspective and get a grip and grow a pair.
If that's the case then I guess that the current state of the political climate is immaterial and everyone should be more concerned with where their next bowl of rice is coming from *shrugs again*.

You've got to be kidding now - are you saying that transgenderism is a sole feature of first-world countries? Seriously?

No.

I am telling you that 1st world crybabies have it so easy their biggest life hassle is being addressed with the wrong pronoun.

No.

I am telling you that 1st world crybabies have it so easy their biggest life hassle is being addressed with the wrong pronoun.
Being addressed with the wrong pronoun could be a litmus test of its own for something else if this article is anything to go by. Let's call it a wider disagreement of beliefs.

This sounds like a great solution to bullying on the personal level.
To be fair people only have so much control. Some people are short tempered and hardwired to be that way. You can't just tell them not to care.

Not to belittle what some people go through every day, but I think it's good that people have nothing to complain about. We should try to make it so everyone is in that same boat. Those that are lucky enough to have a good life don't really need to take into account things that don't influence them. Moving on and tackling the next problem even if it's small is going to lead to progress. We can also pass this progress on to others.

DK
I figured that this was the most appropriate thread to post this in:

The main problem is that the link is Breitbart :)

It's a difficult one - if the allegation is meant to derail his part as a democratic participant then it shouldn't be allowed to succeed, he should be able to stand for votes but suspended from office if he's successful. That would let democracy take its course while allowing time for a proper investigation of the facts as alleged.

if the allegation is meant to derail his part as a democratic participant then it shouldn't be allowed to succeed
Just to clarify, you mean little-"d" democratic right? I'm not familiar with the situation and wanted to clear up whether Moore is red or blue. If he's a Republican then I applaud the GOP for cleaning up their own house, provided it's not just a smear.

Just to clarify, you mean little-"d" democratic right? I'm not familiar with the situation and wanted to clear up whether Moore is red or blue. If he's a Republican then I applaud the GOP for cleaning up their own house, provided it's not just a smear.

He's very Republican :)

In my own opinion he's about as odious as the Republican right wing gets but with that said candidates shouldn't be removed from votes when allegations are made about them unless it can be shown before the vote that the allegation is with foundation. Simply removing carte blanche (maybe not the best phrase to use in the context of this particular character) sets a precedent for any person to easily derail the preparation for any democratic (little-d) vote.

He's very Republican :)
I just finished checking out his Wikipedia article. Regardless of his demonstrated political views (to most of which I'm diametrically opposed) and based on conduct alone he's definitely a wrong 'un.

I certainly agree that any removal process during an election should be squeaky clean though even if the candidates aren't and that such a process is wide open to potential corruption.

[EDIT] Interestingly Judge Moore is blaming the allegations on his political opponents rather than senators from his own party who are presumably aghast at the thought of having to accept him into their ranks.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...bate-democratic-opponent-because-of-stance-on

Last edited:
Back