The Distracting Background Cars in Media Thread

Mission Impossible 2, in the bike chase scene, 1970 (I think) Holden Ute stake bed at 0:20, and abandoned Holden Ute at 1:11:

The bike chase is incredibly cheesy lol

EDIT: And of course, the chase in Bullit, because practically every car that appears troughout the ten minutes and a half is a freaking classic today.

Last edited:
Honda CRX in Falling down, One of my favorite cars, i know its popular in USA, but over here not so much. Only seen 1 in the last few years.

i503648.jpg

Just watched that movie again last night 👍 Michael Douglas's best imo.

Heres some good ones from Dazed and Confused

Dazed_0.47.35.11.jpg

Dazed_0.38.45.14.jpg

Dazed_0.12.48.04.jpg

Been watching through the Walking Dead again... And still can't take my eyes off of this Honda Civic wagon. Being a "JNCer" and considering how uncommon the 80s Civic wagons are (to me at least), I found it very distracting.
i475864.jpg

Also, Japanese Nostalgic Car posted this up! Apparently on Adventure Time (Heard of it, never watched it...) had a Hakosuka Skyline in it!
Hakosuka-Adventure-Time-640x435.jpg

Adventure-Time-KGC10-640x433.jpg

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2013/04/11/video-hakosuka-spotted-in-adventure-time/

Superbird! Awesome!

If you haven't seen that movie, I suggest you do. You'll probably explode at the sight of all that 70's car-gasm. The movie itself is fairly funny, too.

Was trying to refresh myself on Breaking Bad before the second part of season 5 started. And couldn't help but notice the Pantera and 911 Turbo in the background.
i434203.jpg

If you haven't seen that movie, I suggest you do. You'll probably explode at the sight of all that 70's car-gasm. The movie itself is fairly funny, too.

Ok, I'll take the word. Hopefully it isn't hard to find.

Started getting into watching Dexter. Couldn't help but notice this Evo VIII
i138041.jpg

As well as this Firebird
i138167.jpg

And...Galaxie.
i150917.jpg

So I don't have pics, however in the Italian Job remake, during the traffic jam scene, there's a LOT of first gen RX7s caught up in traffic. I think I saw three or four different ones. Let me see if I can find some pictures.

Edit: Here's a decent shot, actually I was mistaken, on the bottom left there is an FC making a left turn and just above it a first gen. I swore I saw more.

image.jpg

Last edited:
In Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0, in one shot showing a skyscraper tumbling down into the Geofront below, you can make out a blue Skyline GT-R R34.

Any scene with cars in it in Evangelion is enough to make me feel giddy. Probably Sadamoto's doing.

Obviously there was Misato's Alpine A310 right from the start of episode 1, which single handedly sold me into thinking that series is awesome (and boy, did the rest of the series back that good first impression up!:D). However, the manga also has some interesting background vehicles at times as well, such as Kaji's Lotus Elan.

Lotus_elan_1600_s1_manga.jpg

Sadamoto_misato_rei_and_alpine_a310.jpg

800px-Eva2.0_misato_car_exterior.jpg

i046647.jpg

i046646.jpg

i580080.jpg

The thing I'll always question is why Misato complains about the cost of paying off the loan for her Alpine when she could just sell her Mondial... Probably just Anno messing with me.

And, while Gainax were burning up all the money they had made from Evangelion on FLCL, they had to pop eyebrows and the woman who gets a nosebleed into this:

i121871.jpg

:bowdown:

And this gorgeous piece of French metal:

i121862.jpg

And of course the ill fated Volkswagens of Junko Miyaji:

i121868.jpg

i121873.jpg

And who could forget a certain Vespa, belonging to a certain Vespa woman...

i121863.jpg

Last edited:
Just love how the Japanese actually feature real cars in their Anime/Manga! Especially watching Detective Conan. Always pointing out cars that are real in the background of a series that isn't about cars. :D
i115734.jpg

XK120 AND 2000GT!
i116503.jpg

In the first two series of BBC1's Sherlock (which if you haven't watched, do), there was a red V35 Skyline Coupé parked on Baker Street. While this is probably nothing special for the Asian and American members of :gtplanet:, it's something of a rarity in Europe, as it was never officially sold here. It seems to have disappeared in Season 3.

Screenshot in comments section here: http://www.imcdb.org/movie_1475582-Sherlock.html

Started watching Dexter... And couldn't help but notice this red 240SX hatch with kouki tails. Guess that happens a lot when you hang out with a bunch of 240SX guys. :lol:
1506639_10203111037356195_67889684_n.jpg

Also...saw this on my news feed. Used to watch The Big Bang Theory, but haven't in a while.
1011785_629497940439318_1647934773_n.jpg

Everyone inexplicably drove late model AMC's in The Man With the Golden Gun; despite the film taking place largely in Thailand. That was quite distracting.

So I don't have pics, however in the Italian Job remake, during the traffic jam scene, there's a LOT of first gen RX7s caught up in traffic. I think I saw three or four different ones. Let me see if I can find some pictures.

Edit: Here's a decent shot, actually I was mistaken, on the bottom left there is an FC making a left turn and just above it a first gen. I swore I saw more.

View attachment 98150

Worst background car mix I've ever seen? War of the Worlds, 2005. Most of the movie is pretty good at hiding its car sponsor (Ford)... apart from the completely useless scene of Tom hooning around in his Mustang... and the Ford-branded parts and items around his house... and that they used a Ford van later in the... well... anyway, most of the background cars are simply background, and they picked a good mix. But in this scene:

war_worlds_spielberg_6_x.jpg

I remember sitting in the theater and having my sense of disbelief shattered as Tom Cruise and other bystanders walked up to the pod surrounded completely by mid-90's to 00's Mazdas. In the action sequence that follows, it's mixed up again... but that gaffe ruined the suspenseful build-up to the first tripod attack for me.

Back