The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4.1 - September 2012

• Thread starter dr_slump
  • 247 comments
Also on Cambers right near the end it has a section that says addition and it list 1,2,4,5,6. Forgot 3 and added 6.
No, this has to be like this. It says "2. Spring rates / Toe (track depending)", which includes two points. Therefore there won't be a 3rd one.

As example if two win in a sport event (possible) then the two winners get a gold medal but nobody gets a silver medal and the third gets a bronze medal. If two were on the second place nobody would be on the 3rd place and so on.

That was my thought, but thanks anyway.

This thread really help me understand how to tune my cars thanks a lot to who ever took the time to explained everything in good details.. hope to make some of my cars fast so I can keep up with the fast guys out there ... Knocternal_crx

This thread really help me understand how to tune my cars thanks a lot to who ever took the time to explained everything in good details.. hope to make some of my cars fast so I can keep up with the fast guys out there ... Knocternal_crx
If you only mean this guide, then it was me. I wrote it all.

:dopey:

I apologize beforehand if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has been covered before, many times, but for someone who is new to this side of GT5, what are the tyres that are being used in drag racing? Apologies for being a n00b ...

Racing super soft tires, they provide the best grip available in the game, would be nice if they had slicks but it's not the case. No biggie on the question we were all a noob at one point.

Thx slumps this really help me out a lot. I was an ok tuner but now every time I tune a car I keep getting better and better at tuning.

You all might Hate me but,
Is it possible if you's help me out with a tune?
Don't Blame you if you say no.

Still looking for a drag tune for the Charger 440 R/T '70?

Don't know which ones you have used. Did some leg work. Hopefully this will work for the Dodge.

Dodge Charger 440 R/T
1/4 Mile Indy Drag Tune

7210cc / 773HP / 1343Kg / 580PP / RWD​

indycircuqf1vq.jpg

Balast
0 Weigt Position +50

Transmission
- Final: 3.308
- Top Speed: 190 Km/h
- 1st: 3.225
- 2nd: 2.295
- 3th: 1.714
- 4th: 1.378
- 5th: 1.178

*First set Top Speed, Then Final

LSD
60/60/10

Suspension
- Ride Height: -20/50
- Spring Rate: 3.4/2.0
- Dampers: 2/8
- Dampers: 9/3
- Anti-Roll Bars: 3/3
- Camber: 0.0/0.0
- Toe: 0.00/0.90

Important Coments
- You can launch in 1st and change to 2nd at 65-70Km/h. Or you can launch in 2nd perfecly. The idea of launching in 2nd is to reduce Wheel Spin.
- You will reach a 225-230 max speed at 1/4 Indy.

For the Mustang:

I have done som testing and tuning for the past month, and i have come up with basic drag settings that works quite well, and are commonly used. From sources like gtplanet, different forums etc, i have come up with this:

*Suspension*
RWD
Height: F (all way down), R (all way up)
Spring Rate: F (all way down), R (all way down)
Extension: F (1), R (10)
Compression: F (10), R (1)
Anti Roll: F (default), R (default)
Camber: F (0.0), R (0.0)
Toe: F (0.0), R (0.0)

Note: On some cars you get better launch if you make front spring rate as stiff as possible. Test and experiment..

AWD (use with 50/50 torque split)
Height: F (20), R (all way up)
Spring Rate: F (50% of max rate), R (75% of max rate)
Extension: F (10), R (1)
Compression: F (1), R (10)

AWD (use with 40/60 or similar)
Height: F (20), R (all way up)
Spring Rate: F (stiff as possible), R (75% of max rate)

Note: On my awd cars that i use 40/60 torque split, i run max spring rate in the front, it helps with the takeof. Experiment as you wish...

FWD
Height: F (0), R (all way up)
Spring Rate: F (50%), R (stiff as possible)

*Drivetrain*
LSD can be set to 60-60-5, it works quite well on both rwd and awd cars. Fwd cars i don not know. Torque Split for awd cars can be set to 50/50 or 40/60 for better launch. On lower hp cars, i set it like 20/80, because i want a little bit wheelspin so i dont bogg down when launching, and i dont want to make 1st gear shorter either :).

*Transmission*
This is complex according to me, but my basic rule is that i set 1st gear so when i launch, and if the wheels are spinning, i never redline. If the revlimiter jumps up and down while launching, then your 1st gear is to short, that is my basic rule. On awd cars, i set the 1st gear so when i launch, i accelerate from 0 to what ever with just a little bit wheelspin, hardly noticed though. You got to have a good balance, short gear enough to get good acceleration, and not bogg down when launching, but long gear enough to not spin your tires to much. Note, on lower hp awd cars, you can either make 1st gear shorter so you dont bogg down, or you could do the tourque split trick, explained above. You could also ask fellow tuners which speed you should hit in 1st gear for that specific car, so you get a hint on how long/short the gear should be.

Last gear, usually 6th, i make it long/short enough, so when i exit the ssr7 tunnel im at redline, or im on a suitable top speed :). This can be hard to determine though. The basic rule is, that the shorter gears, the faster acceleration. It isnt uncommon that the top tuners exit the tunnel in a lower speed (due to shorter gears), but they come there alot faster. That is what is important. Ask around for your specific car, and you get a hint on a suitable top speed you should hit.

The gears between, that is 2nd to 5th gear, you could adjust them, so when you are changing gears, you dont get any delay in acceleration. For example, if the 2nd gear is to short compared to 3rd gear, you will get an interrupt in acceleration when changing gears. Soulution? Well, make 2nd gear a little bit longer, or make 3rd gear a little bit shorter. As told before, tune your gears, so when you are changing gears you get equal rpm drops. This is a good rule, all though, i make my 2nd gear very close to 1st gear, because i want good acceleration and jump of the line in the beggining.

I also try to use all gears, my theory is that the more gears you use, the faster acceleration you get. Even on indy 1/4 mile, i try to use as many gears as possible. Some times, you need to do the transmission trick, so you could use all gears. This is how i do, to be able to change gears more flexible:

1. Reset transmission
2. Top speed all way to the left (eg. 220 km/h)
3. Final gear all way to the right (5.000)
4. Top speed one klick to right (230)
5. Top speed one klick to left again (220)
6. Adjust final gear

Now you can have a verry close geared gearbox, still beeing able to have a long first gear.

*Body/Chassi*
For high power rwd cars, you could use ballast position 50, and 0 weight. That helps you gain a little bit of traction. On awd cars, i dont use ballast, and on fwd cars, i dont know.

On my drag cars i use 0 aerodynamics what so ever, that is no rear wing, no body kit, diffusers etc. I know the rear wing decreases the top speed, but i have been told lately that front lips, rear diffusers etc. affects the acceleration as well. So no fancy bodykits for me :)

Okay, this is my basic drag tuning advice, feel free to comment and discuss.

Don't know which ones you have used. Did some leg work. Hopefully this will work for the Dodge.
A very old tune indeed. I never tuned the charger (mine is not even modified :lol: ), but I see some crucial things I'd change.
Wing?

Suspension
- Ride Height: -20/50 (I think you have to put a wing on it and then a higher front may help.)
- Spring Rate: 3.4/2.0 probably stiff rear needed (but like I said I never tested it)
- Dampers: 2/8
- Dampers: 9/3
- Anti-Roll Bars: 3/3
- Camber: 0.0/0.0 ∼4.0/0.0
- Toe: 0.00/0.90 -1.00/about the same

Important Coments
- You can launch in 1st and change to 2nd at 65-70Km/h. Or you can launch in 2nd perfecly. The idea of launching in 2nd is to reduce Wheel Spin.
Do launch in second
Just my thoughts. Still won't be on the same level as a top tune, but at least closer.
For the Mustang:
You must know that tt3 was a tunnel tunner. And again, the post is absolutely outdated.

low/high (front probably relatively low, but again: I never tuned that car)
high/low (even though it's a muscle car, it looks as if it needs this kind of spring rates, but I could be wrong since I never tuned it)
sth/sth
sth/sth
sth/sth (won't make a huge difference and isn't a big deal to test)

∼4.0/0.0
-1.00/∼(+)0.80 (experiment with rear toe)

TT3 describes a first gear launch since this is the standard in tunnel/3k drag, but not in 1/4. I'm pretty sure it's better to launch in 2nd (starting gear as long as possible btw). But follow his tranny trick guide.

E Cheating LMAO! & yes you can do it with FWD & AWD.. just not similar to RWD... ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Slumpy, you funny **********!!!

E Cheating LMAO! & yes you can do it with FWD & AWD.. just not similar to RWD... ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Slumpy, you funny **********!!!
You're a douche if you really use the e-brake on FWD cars. Using normal brakes has nothing to do with the term "e-brake", which should be clear no matter how low somebody's IQ is.
And in regards to the AWD issue - the word "hardly" is a propper and normally well-known english word, which does in no way exclude a certain eventuality. Following your sight of a negation of this topic is made up out of thin air; it's simply non existant in this guide.

HAHHAHAHA smokey, you absolutely NOT funny *******!!!

Last edited:
:gtpflag:Yes just what I needed. Just started Drag Racing, and this clears up somethings for sure. After absorbing some of this Basic knowledge I ran some Offline speed test and got some good, no better times then my previous attempts. Even my shiftpoint is different, when I had been first waiting for redline, Epic Failures, (Palm to Face), now I have shortened my input and its a World away better.

Thank You for this thread.:cheers:

Congrats to you! 👍 Finally someone didn't come barging in and demanding top tunes. Congrats on figureing it out yourself.

nice job, im sure if you ask for a bit of extra help on exact shift points for some cars to get closer to the top times people will be more than happy to help.

In the 1/4 mile Im getting a 10.250 average, 10.173 Best in my 454 SS.

2nd gear start, upshifting to third just above RedLine (7,000 RPM 2nd) then to 4th at 6500 RPM repeating to 5th at 6500 RPM, not wanting to waste precious revs in lower gears 💡

Back