The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
Can we just make a hole in the ground and see where it comes out?
Yes there maybe some magma to deal with but I am sure we have the technology to handle.

Uh...they do that quite often, deep oil drills can only drill so deep before the material is too difficult to dig through because of temperatures. So the first issue is the drill bit itself is already getting heated from the friction and vibrations of what it is doing, which is moving dirt, rock and material in general out the way. Then as you get deeper the temperature rises and that add on to the working temperature of the drill bit. Now there are materials that can handle high temperatures, but many times those materials lack other properties needed to drill deep into the earth. So what you need is not only a material that has the ability to break through hard materials, but is very feasible in high temp condition, and wont easily fracture or wear.

These aren't easy things, and material engineers have studied ways to dig deeper for various reasons, since there is good money in it. If you can figure it out than so be it, but it's not as simple or close to it as you think.

To dig a hole to the centre of the earth even would require something like a laser, no material we use to dig can possibly do it without melting or destroying it self.

Uh...they do that quite often, deep oil drills can only drill so deep before the material is too difficult to dig through because of temperatures. So the first issue is the drill bit itself is already getting heated from the friction and vibrations of what it is doing, which is moving dirt, rock and material in general out the way. Then as you get deeper the temperature rises and that add on to the working temperature of the drill bit. Now there are materials that can handle high temperatures, but many times those materials lack other properties needed to drill deep into the earth. So what you need is not only a material that has the ability to break through hard materials, but is very feasible in high temp condition, and wont easily fracture or wear.

These aren't easy things, and material engineers have studied ways to dig deeper for various reasons, since there is good money in it. If you can figure it out than so be it, but it's not as simple or close to it as you think.
I would guess it might affect the planet quite a lot too. We still need it to live on.

To be fair alot of the evidence flat earthers present is 100% accurate IF the earth was a perfect sphere. Its sadly not and thus some discrepancies occur when calculating visible objects in the distance.

To dig a hole to the centre of the earth even would require something like a laser, no material we use to dig can possibly do it without melting or destroying it self.

Always reminds me of 'The Core' film :sly: They used lasers.

*Note to all flat earthers, and this is no joke. Don't travel by airplane. If the pilot isn't careful enough, you could end up crashing against the sun/moon*

:D

It is weird that all flat earthers ignore (some) the laws of physics on earth when explaining the flat earth/dome firmament theory and disproving the classical and scientific proven view of the planet earth and the universe.

A small point which is somewhat skipped over in the flat earth fantasy but is the next pseudoscientific revival going to be the sun going around the earth?

After all, it doesn't feel like the earth is travelling 70,000mph and the sun quite clearly is the celestial body which moves across the sky, rather than the other way around. Evidence!

200w.gif

Ok... so then... the stars? They look farther than either the moon or soon from any given point on the disc in that image. They don't get folded?

Ok hang on a sec... if the light from the moon is really light from the sun, then the light from the sun reflected off of the moon reaching you has gone through more folded space than the light coming straight from the sun to you. You should never see the moon unless it's closer to the sun than you are and you can also see the sun (which doesn't ever seem to happen in their graphics).
Well, no, because obviously space folds except when it doesn't, except it doesn't really at all it's just an illusion of folding. Simple.

I also note from the images of the dome firmament (or space... or whatever it is) that the barrier between the dome and whatever is beyond the dome (which is... whatever they say it is) literally meets Antarctica. So if you were to travel to the South Pole - which, by their images, is the entire circumference of the disc - you wouldn't be able to walk the last foot towards it as your head would be outside the dome. Or it's an impenetrable, physical barrier that you'd just bounce your head off, like the eaves of your house in the attic.

Not that you could reach the South Pole, as it's not an actual place in their images.

A small point which is somewhat skipped over in the flat earth fantasy but is the next pseudoscientific revival going to be the sun going around the earth?

After all, it doesn't feel like the earth is travelling 70,000mph and the sun quite clearly is the celestial body which moves across the sky, rather than the other way around. Evidence!

Already are people who think that :lol: I linked a good video series debunking it earlier in the thread, worth a watch if you have some time to kill.
Good series of videos debunking flat earthers whilst teaching you about reality in fairly good depth at the same time.

And a slightly unrelated series debunking geocentrism (Earth being center of the universe) that's also pretty fun to watch and goes into a crazy amount of detail :lol:

It's already common practice to cite big numbers related to speed and then go on to claim that because the numbers are big they're fake. It's not just the earth, they know that the Sun is supposed to move within the galaxy and that the galaxy moves in space. Some of these numbers are 5 or more figures, so they can't possibly be real.

I've even seen them take the angular velocity of the Earth and brush it aside because "it makes the rotation look slow". They'll then convert to linear speed and show images/video of people falling off a merry-go-round that is going at a much higher angular velocity and much lower linear than the Earth. More proof.

It's already common practice to cite big numbers related to speed and then go on to claim that because the numbers are big they're fake. It's not just the earth, they know that the Sun is supposed to move within the galaxy and that the galaxy moves in space. Some of these numbers are 5 or more figures, so they can't possibly be real.

That happened on a radio quiz once. The question was;

How many times bigger than the moon is the sun, is it twice as big or four times as big?

The actual answer is closer to 400 times bigger so many people think that the researchers read "The sun is 400 times bigger than the moon" and thought it must have been an error. It couldn't possibly be 400 times bigger!

---

For what it's worth, even the heliocentric model of our solar system isn't "static" or flat. Even as the spherical planets orbit the sun, the entire system itself is moving through space.

I always found this gif fascinating:

QEB37og.gif

I would guess it might affect the planet quite a lot too. We still need it to live on.

Perhaps, but we wont know until we try, most attempts done were for the benefit of oil companies, only a few have been done for research and just to do it. I'd imagine if current technology was used when the longest hole was dug perhaps we'd know even more.

That happened on a radio quiz once. The question was;

How many times bigger than the moon is the sun, is it twice as big or four times as big?

The actual answer is closer to 400 times bigger so many people think that the researchers read "The sun is 400 times bigger than the moon" and thought it must have been an error. It couldn't possibly be 400 times bigger!

And that's just the diameter - in terms of volume the Sun is 64 million times bigger than the Moon.

---

For what it's worth, even the heliocentric model of our solar system isn't "static" or flat. Even as the spherical planets orbit the sun, the entire system itself is moving through space.

QEB37og.gif
Not only is the Sun 400 times bigger than the moon, it is 400 times farther away - permitting the phenomenon of the full solar eclipse. This coincidence actually irritates some people.

The image of the solar system corkscrewing its way through the Milky Way is very good. We are said to orbit the galactic center once every ~240 million years, and pass through the spiral arms as we go. Could be a bit of rough trip at times, eh? For the image to be more complete, it might include the magnetic bubble of the heliosphere, out at twice the distance to Pluto. How the Oort cloud, said to be 2 light years distant, works with all this seems still to be solved.

Well, no, because obviously space folds except when it doesn't, except it doesn't really at all it's just an illusion of folding. Simple.

I also note from the images of the dome firmament (or space... or whatever it is) that the barrier between the dome and whatever is beyond the dome (which is... whatever they say it is) literally meets Antarctica. So if you were to travel to the South Pole - which, by their images, is the entire circumference of the disc - you wouldn't be able to walk the last foot towards it as your head would be outside the dome. Or it's an impenetrable, physical barrier that you'd just bounce your head off, like the eaves of your house in the attic.

Not that you could reach the South Pole, as it's not an actual place in their images.

Unfortunately, you can no longer book a flight that takes a great circle route that crosses antarctica. Because that'd be a tough one to explain for a flat earther.

PolarRoute.png

Edit:

Actually there is one great circle route between chile and australia that crosses antarctica currently, but only if the winds are just right.

Last edited:
What i can't figure out about Flat Earthers is to what end their stubbornness exists for.

I can get religious people arguing for their beliefs and the writings within their scriptures despite overwhelming scientific evidence that contradicts it - Creationists etc, because it challenges the very bedrock of their belief bubble.

But why be so certain that the earth is flat? What benefit does possessing this knowledge enrich mankind and why would a 'ball' earth be such a challenging concept?

Just butting in to say that I honestly can't believe people are this 🤬 stupid and actually argue about this.

What i can't figure out about Flat Earthers is to what end their stubbornness exists for.

I can get religious people arguing for their beliefs and the writings within their scriptures despite overwhelming scientific evidence that contradicts it - Creationists etc, because it challenges the very bedrock of their belief bubble.

But why be so certain that the earth is flat? What benefit does possessing this knowledge enrich mankind and why would a 'ball' earth be such a challenging concept?

Because of a surfeit of leisure, money and egotism, many people feel they are entitled to their own reality - their own "facts" as well as their own opinions. US social scientists on both left and right beginning in the 60's gave sanction to this mind-set. Please see post #47. I'm guessing that almost all flat-Earthers are Americans.

In modern times it really dates back to the middle of the 19th century. And sadly sprouts from an Englishman.

It does appear that it does have it's origins in the bible, but i think you are right in saying that it's persons wanting to make a name for themselves - or just want to appear different, that has perpetuated the myth.

I think there's also an element of people thinking they're in the minority of people who know the "real story" - the same reason any other conspiracy theory exists.

From their perspective, they can't lose. If people tell them they're wrong, then it's because those people aren't enlightened, and don't know what's really going on. And on the rare occasions a conspiracy turns out to be true, they were right about it, and it reaffirms their beliefs.

The one thing all conspiracy theories have in common is that there is virtually no tangible evidence to support them.

The one thing all conspiracy theories have in common is that there is virtually no tangible evidence to support them.

In isolation sometimes there is, its just that most of them refuse to incorporate any of the contradictory evidence.

Yeah, seeing space in motion is always interesting. I have not gotten around to getting a telescope yet, but I bought Universe Sandbox 2 a while ago and it can provide some very nice imagery.

Back