The Elephant in the room of the livery editor

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 41 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
Maybe it's just me, and apologies if I missed a thread on this (because I did look)

But, am I the only one who thinks the best way to use the livery editor in GT7, is to open GT Sport, us THAT editor, and then share it and open it in GT7? Obviously, this is not an option for the new cars, but for so many, it is.

It's definitely easier to use. For one, you don't have to go to the garage first, equip the car you want to work on, and then enter the editor. Second, and I realize it's difficult to compare a collection built over many years to having to build one from scratch, but the collection is there, the decals are there, why not port the collection over to GT7 as well? Also, aligning the decals seems strange. It's not really align to the surface, and it's not really aligned to the camera. It's somewhere in between, so again, I go to GT Sport.

The new livery editor is just cumbersome. I get that PD was going for a more "real world" feel by requiring the player to "bring" their car to GT Auto, but this seems misguided to me.

I'm just curious if anyone else shares these thoughts or if it's just me.

It's not really align to the surface, and it's not really aligned to the camera. It's somewhere in between, so again, I go to GT Sport.
You can change the alignment after you've put the decal on which is a vast improvement over GTSport.

The only thing that bugs me about the GT7 editor is how long it takes to save. Painfully slow saving of your style.
I think that's down to your connection.

Last edited:
I think the GT Sport Editor is easier/more friendly. And I have thought of using the GTS livery editor for the main design and fine tuning it in 7.

Well, GT7's UX is goddamn awful and I really miss Sport's approach with much less clicks and menus to go through. But I won't be downloading more than 100 GB of GTSport just to use it as a glorified livery editor, so yeah, I'll have to adapt and hope that Polyphony didn't fired the brilliant UX designer that gave us Sport's user interface.

I wish they had a "cut" tool or "negative" so you could remove the area of selected shape down to paint of the vehicle.

Currently paint car the color I would like my "stripe" to be, and use the vinyl as my car color.

So, when I change vehicle paint, my design color changes.

Example, painted this color shift, layed "marble" graphics with light opacity over it, used white to outline, duplicated all whites, drug down a degree or 2, and turned black. Filled in the blanks.

Bam" marble flip flop. I know it's a racing game, but was always impressed by pinstriping, silver/gold leafing, and other techniques used in the lowrider, min truck, and alot of the 90s custom scene.
17fd23b48cf13-564b7428c5788e2480957955cb2cefee01c94469-983_message_421998432841222_1648431378286.jpg

Maybe it's just me, and apologies if I missed a thread on this (because I did look)

But, am I the only one who thinks the best way to use the livery editor in GT7, is to open GT Sport, us THAT editor, and then share it and open it in GT7? Obviously, this is not an option for the new cars, but for so many, it is.

It's definitely easier to use. For one, you don't have to go to the garage first, equip the car you want to work on, and then enter the editor. Second, and I realize it's difficult to compare a collection built over many years to having to build one from scratch, but the collection is there, the decals are there, why not port the collection over to GT7 as well? Also, aligning the decals seems strange. It's not really align to the surface, and it's not really aligned to the camera. It's somewhere in between, so again, I go to GT Sport.

The new livery editor is just cumbersome. I get that PD was going for a more "real world" feel by requiring the player to "bring" their car to GT Auto, but this seems misguided to me.

I'm just curious if anyone else shares these thoughts or if it's just me.
I just don’t go to GT Sport because I already uninstalled it, but I agree with you.

The menus on GT7 are a utter mess and to be honest I think are a huge step backwards from what we use to have in GT Sport. Both in navigation and looks.

As for the livery editor in GT7 I’m also noticing some weird behavior between camera projection and surface. And the rotation of elements is imprecise in the UI since all it returns are rounded values while the rotation happens in point increments. So the UI shows 0° rotation while the decal is actually rotated 0.1°.

The color mixer should have options between HLS, HSV and RGB at least by now and we should be able to copy and paste layers between parts of the car.

Overall I just wish PD allowed us to see the actual UV of the car and work with that. Or at least had better documentation in regards to scale of things.

When it comes to suit liveries I’m baffled by their decision to now allow us to use the whole UV forcing us to certain regions of the suit where the UVs between the sides aren’t even scaled correctly. A decal on the right arm at 10% needs to be 13% on the left to fully match.

Anyways, I can only hope that they do some updates on the livery editor.

I like the new design a lot better. having the direct input option is nice. I think a lot of what people consider a problem is just that they got used to the older antiquated system.

@Nuschel in the showcase thing, there's an option, i think it's options on the controller, or triangle, will confirm when at home tonight

The only pain is the fact that everything is compartmentalised and we have to bring the car to GT Auto to work on it.
I presume that was done intentionally to stop the likes of me spamming the game with hundreds of liveries straight out of the gate.

The helmet livery is a vast improvement over Sport so absolutely no complaints there. It's wonderful.

The GT Sport livery editor is our comfort zone, the tools we have been using for years, where we have our decal libraries that, for some reason we can't access in GT7, unless we share the decals and liveries. So if we don't want to share some stuff with the community we must upload in both systems just to duplicate the server usage. Only in PD logic this makes sense.

1 - But, first of all, I don't want to share my liveries to community. Sure community wouldn't give a dam, no one would use them, it's just my basic livery, but I want to be the only one running them online, it's made just to be distinctive.
2 - Apart from that, if you create a livery in GTS, just to apply it in the same car in GT7 you have to spend in-game credits (?!?!), while if you do it in GT7 directly is free!
3 - There is some things like the windshield banner that aren't customizable in GT Sport.
4 - The decal search engine built in the editor is an amazing tool, at least you don't need another system to search decals while doing a livery if you don't want to exit the editor each time you have a decal missing.

The GT Sport livery editor is our comfort zone, the tools we have been using for years, where we have our decal libraries that, for some reason we can't access in GT7, unless we share the decals and liveries. So if we don't want to share some stuff with the community we must upload in both systems just to duplicate the server usage. Only in PD logic this makes sense.

1 - But, first of all, I don't want to share my liveries to community. Sure community wouldn't give a dam, no one would use them, it's just my basic livery, but I want to be the only one running them online, it's made just to be distinctive.
2 - Apart from that, if you create a livery in GTS, just to apply it in the same car in GT7 you have to spend in-game credits (?!?!), while if you do it in GT7 directly is free!
3 - There is some things like the windshield banner that aren't customizable in GT Sport.
4 - The decal search engine built in the editor is an amazing tool, at least you don't need another system to search decals while doing a livery if you don't want to exit the editor each time you have a decal missing.
1: Just share the design in GTS, apply in GT7, and delete the shared design in GTS. No biggie
2: Only if you use special paints? Liveries don't cost money, only styles with certain added costs...
3/4: yeah love that function.

I have one question about livery editor..
Can you make your custom liveries/designs and save it, so you can use it on any other vehicles?

I've said this before, but Sport's and GT7's livery editor are missing a MASSIVE feature, which is grouping. There are some other little things, but the ability to group would be so massive. Such beautiful cars, it's a shame we can't really use them as our canvas and instead have to use a computer to make an SVG file, upload it, and put it on our cars. It takes so much away from being artistic with cars.

I know, you can make impressive things with it. But to me it feels like comparing a Jaguar E type to a modern Gr3 car. Yes, the race car is impressive, looks cool.....but that E-type just has something special about it. That's sort of an extreme example, but I REALLY want to design my cars without searching for SVG files or learning how to make them.

I have one question about livery editor..
Can you make your custom liveries/designs and save it, so you can use it on any other vehicles?
No, and for good reason. Car shapes are different. The same x and y values would place decals in weird places. Boot up any NFS and you’ll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Can't say I agree with the OP. The new features in the livery editor make the old one feel so basic and rudimentary. I know that the majority of it is the same, but the ability to adjust projection type after placing a decal, visual feedback on angular and scale adjustments, and the window/banner decal upgrades are all massive improvements in my books. Plus the helmet editor is now much more versatile.

The ONLY thing better with GT Sport is the collection of uploaded decals and the gtswiki pages to search for decals and liveries - but they aren't even PD-affiliated so that's a different subject really.

Overall I don't think I could go back to using the GT Sport editor over the GT7 editor.

No, and for good reason. Car shapes are different. The same x and y values would place decals in weird places. Boot up any NFS and you’ll see what I mean.
Hmm, maybe I wasnt specific enough. I mean stickers, decals you made, not complete livery for vehicle. Just like Forza livery editor.. I remember making stickers, decals in Forza for hours and save them. So I can use them later on any vehicle I want.

☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼
This.
Hmm, maybe I wasnt specific enough. I mean stickers, decals you made, not complete livery for vehicle. Just like Forza livery editor.. I remember making stickers, decals in Forza for hours and save them. So I can use them later on any vehicle I want.
I make base paints and decals on my PC, this way I can add them to whichever car I want with no hassle.

514CE097-B31C-4774-B8F2-7885C9375F82.jpeg

Example, I made the GT86 livery for the S-FR back in Sport. 100% on my PC. Better to spend hours there and just assemble in-game.

Edit:

Or this Falken livery. It was a lot of fun to do. Might just be me who’s lazy. :lol:

Last edited:
I wish they had a "cut" tool or "negative" so you could remove the area of selected shape down to paint of the vehicle.

Currently paint car the color I would like my "stripe" to be, and use the vinyl as my car color.

So, when I change vehicle paint, my design color changes.

Example, painted this color shift, layed "marble" graphics with light opacity over it, used white to outline, duplicated all whites, drug down a degree or 2, and turned black. Filled in the blanks.

Bam" marble flip flop. I know it's a racing game, but was always impressed by pinstriping, silver/gold leafing, and other techniques used in the lowrider, min truck, and alot of the 90s custom scene. View attachment 1130522
Yes, or even if 'Body Color' was an option in the color selector for previous colors used. It would make it much easier to work with the shapes to get the look that you want.

Back