The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was more if an example than anything else. Guys like Rowland, Sirotkin, Albon and Ghiotto would be a better fit than De Vries at the moment.

Guys like Rowland, Sirotkin, Albon and Ghiotto would be a better fit than De Vries at the moment.
I disagree on Rowland, if only because I saw some really rather dirty driving from him in Hockenheim. I'm pretty sure Albon was dropped by the Red Bull YDP, so I would give him a wide berth. The vote is still out on Ghiotto since it's only his first season of GP2; he might be able to turn it around in a second season.

Sirotkin could definitely cut it. He's been up and down this year, but when he's on form, he really stamps his authority on a race - he made some really decisive moves in Hungary, and didn't get frustrated when the stewards slugged him with a made-up penalty in Germany. But I suspect he'll be a pay driver unless he gets picked up by a development programme. Giovinazzi is also promising; I'm surprised that he got this far without being scooped up.

Would this be the Sirotkin that's been grossly inconsistent for the past few seasons, and spent the first half of this season crashing out of promising positions?

Rowland has been outperforming a bad car all season, and could easily challenge for the title in a more competent team.

Would this be the Sirotkin that's been grossly inconsistent for the past few seasons, and spent the first half of this season crashing out of promising positions?
ART stripped and rebuilt his clutch after Silverstone and he immediately went to the front. They reckon that it was the source of all his problems earlier in the year. Take that into account and he's really come on strong in the last eighteen months.

Rowland has been outperforming a bad car all season, and could easily challenge for the title in a more competent team.
He treats the circuit like a boxing ring. Some of his driving in Hockenheim was disgraceful. There's no placefor him in Formula One - he'd be another Maldonado.

Claire Williams claims that those Pat Symonds comments that people were talking about a page or two ago, were one, taken out of context and two, quite old comments. Thus claiming that no Williams are not suggesting their current two drivers aren't "star" drivers and that they are content and feel both have done the job necessary of what they've been given.

So yeah take with that what you will, if I believed here fully I'd say the two of them would have been signed yesterday unless their is something personal with the drivers themselves stopping said signing. Which could be quite possible.

One bad weekend and you write off Rowland. Half a season of bad driving and you think Sirotkin is perfect?

One bad weekend and you write off Rowland.
No, it's one bad weekend and a season of relative mediocrity. The only reason he's in title contention is because everyone else has struggled at some point or other. Don't forget that Artem Markelov was leading the championship at one point. The cynic in me wonders if Rowland is only really there to make it look like the Racing Steps Foundation is doing something.

Half a season of bad driving and you think Sirotkin is perfect?
I didn't say perfect. I said that he could cut it in Formula One. And I find it pretty telling that he dominated the races as soon as ART stripped and rebuilt his clutch.

I think Perez would be mad at this stage to stay at Force India or go to Williams and not go to Renault, Renault have a significantly bigger budget then both and have a realistic shot at moving up the field, Force India is probably at their peak right now and it seems like Williams already saw theirs and are moving away from it.

One bad weekend and you write off Rowland.
Make that two, given the move he just pulled on Canamasas. Sure, it's Canamasas, and you're taking your life into your own hands if you try to pass him, but Rowland ran out of room when he turned in. Given that he was weaving in the braking zones and forced Sirotkin off at Les Combes, it's hard to write the move off as only being Canamasas' fault. Pretty much everyone knows that the usual racing line doesn't apply to the Bus Stop on the final lap because the short run to the line means that you don't have to worry about being re-passed into La Source. Except, apparently, for Ollie Rowland.

I think Perez would be mad at this stage to stay at Force India or go to Williams and not go to Renault, Renault have a significantly bigger budget then both and have a realistic shot at moving up the field, Force India is probably at their peak right now and it seems like Williams already saw theirs and are moving away from it.

I'm almost inclined to agree with you if it weren't for the beating around the bush, before actually saying "fine we'll take over Lotus". I feel if they were as serious as say early the mid 2000s Renault we wouldn't have all been waiting to hear confirmation, and thus proving more so they're willing to spend the money they once did to go to the top.

To be honest, I also think FI hasn't hit the peak rather they're pretty steady (not to jinx them) the past few years with the rule changes and still being competitive. I think if it weren't for Mallya's shady financial woes with the Indian gov't, they'd have potentially seen the Aston deal through, or another car manufacture willing to potentially jump in due to their success as a mid field team among works teams.

So in the end we don't know the Renault budget, if it's there it's clearly all invested at the 2017 effort, because the Renault RS16 has seen almost as little updating as the Sauber. We don't know what may come for FI if they gain fourth in the WCC (quite possible). William I agree is at a weak point, not their weakest in this decade but not quite their strongest either. I feel Perez has a tough decision to make between FI or Renault, in the long run Renault seem ideal due to being a works team. However, FI may have more to come in the future.

I disagree on Rowland, if only because I saw some really rather dirty driving from him in Hockenheim. I'm pretty sure Albon was dropped by the Red Bull YDP, so I would give him a wide berth. The vote is still out on Ghiotto since it's only his first season of GP2; he might be able to turn it around in a second season.

Sirotkin could definitely cut it. He's been up and down this year, but when he's on form, he really stamps his authority on a race - he made some really decisive moves in Hungary, and didn't get frustrated when the stewards slugged him with a made-up penalty in Germany. But I suspect he'll be a pay driver unless he gets picked up by a development programme. Giovinazzi is also promising; I'm surprised that he got this far without being scooped up.
Ironic that just today, it was Sirotkin's turn to slip up when it comes to racecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back