The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to what number he will use - he carries #34 in DTM, but #34 is used by Force India as a reserve number. Alexander Rossi wanted to use #16, but had to settle on #53 because #16 was assigned to Red Bull.

What? It's a long winter break.

I'm curious as to what number he will use - he carries #34 in DTM, but #34 is used by Force India as a reserve number. Alexander Rossi wanted to use #16, but had to settle on #53 because #16 was assigned to Red Bull.

What? It's a long winter break.
Drivers pick their numbers when they drive an F1 car in an official Test session, Ocon is #45

Drivers pick their numbers when they drive an F1 car in an official Test session, Ocon is #45
Nope, two numbers are set aside for each team to use for test and reserve drivers, because the cars that appear in FP1 sessions have to appear on the timing sheets with a number as a means of identification. Each team gets the first two available consecutive numbers, so Red Bull get #15 and #16, Mercedes get #23 and #24, and so on and so forth. Ocon might have used #45 in practice sessions, but that's a Renault test number, as is #46, which was used by Sirotkin in Sochi. When André Lotterer drove for Caterham, he used one of the team's assigned numbers because it was a one-off appearance, but when Rossi replaced Roberto Merhi, he got to choose his number because he was taking part long-term.

He has #31 on his Twitter bio, whether that's a clue or not I don't know, but it's our best guess

He has #31 on his Twitter bio, whether that's a clue or not I don't know, but it's our best guess
I'm guessing that might be taken, too, since #31 and #32 are a pair of consecutive free numbers.

#15 and #16 are Red Bull.
#23 and #24 are Mercedes.
#31 and #32 are Ferrari.
#34 and #35 are Force India.
#36 and #37 are Sauber.
#38 and #39 are Toro Rosso.
#40 and #41 are Williams
#42 and #43 are MRT.
#45 and #46 are Renault.
#47 and #48 are McLaren.
#49 and #50 are Haas.

But I could be wrong - there doesn't appear to be any absolute system of assigning numbers; the FIA might just be assigning whatever numbers are convenient.

Meanwhile, Cyril Abiteboul has said that Renault haven't given up on Magnussen and Palmer for 2017.

But let's be honest: he means Magnussen. Right now, it look like Renault are looking at Ocon and Pérez, Ocon and Bottas, or Ocon and Magnussen. If for whatever reason they cannot get Ocon, they will probably go for Pérez and Magnussen, Magnussen and Bottas, or Bottas and Pérez. I doubt Palmer will be able to save his seat unless something goes horrendously wrong. And to be blunt, his departure would be no great loss.

Meanwhile, Cyril Abiteboul has said that Renault haven't given up on Magnussen and Palmer for 2017.

But let's be honest: he means Magnussen. Right now, it look like Renault are looking at Ocon and Pérez, Ocon and Bottas, or Ocon and Magnussen. If for whatever reason they cannot get Ocon, they will probably go for Pérez and Magnussen, Magnussen and Bottas, or Bottas and Pérez. I doubt Palmer will be able to save his seat unless something goes horrendously wrong. And to be blunt, his departure would be no great loss.
I'm not sure what happened to Magnussen... He was highly regarded by McLaren and then was dropped. You'd think a driver who could give Jenson button a decent run for his money would be seen as a talent but Renault doesn't seem all that enthusiastic from what I've seen.

Perez and Magnussen wouldn't be a bad pair imo. Both mclaren rejects too.

Ocon might use another year in manor and Hulk is off to Le Mans soon so Pascal and Ovon could be together at FI as early as 2018

Showing your bias again. Palmer has had some decent races and well as bad ones. It's his debut season and he not been too bad in comparison to his well rated teammate. Yes, I agree he would not be in the running for next season, Renault would be looking for someone who can take them forward. No new boy can do that so I'd go for either Bottas or Perez as well.

Showing your bias again.
You can't seriously expect anyone to believe that Jolyon Palmer belongs in Formula One.

Palmer has had some decent races and well as bad ones.
Palmer has only ever finished ahead of Magnussen when Magnussen has made a mistake or taken a penalty.

It's his debut season and he not been too bad in comparison to his well rated teammate.
He has been consistently out-qualified and out-raced by Magnussen.

You can't seriously expect anyone to believe that Jolyon Palmer belongs in Formula One.

Palmer has only ever finished ahead of Magnussen when Magnussen has made a mistake or taken a penalty.

He has been consistently out-qualified and out-raced by Magnussen.
Of course he has. What do you expect? The new boy to show the way? You are totally bias boy. Nothing you write about anybody YOU don't like is not even worth reading. EVER.

:lol:

Really? I rate Palmer as the worst on the grid personally.

I would say Marcus Ericsson is about tied with Joylon Palmer in driving skill, but whatever.

I do think Ocon is deserving of a spot in F1, but not at the expense of Magnussen or Sergio Perez.

Perez is going nowhere he will be in F1 for awhile so his future is safe for now no matter where he goes, Magnussen on the other hand is at risk. The driver line up situation is not really a win for him, combined with the performance of the car, if the car was a regular point scorer Magnussen would be able to establish his massive advantage over the season, but because it's not at all, they just both end up looking terrible.

Ocon is one of the best talents on paper atleast that hasn't had a GP start, you have to let new blood in especially when the potential is soo high, this is the same guy that Beat Max Verstappen in Euro F3 as a rookie and won the title, then went on to win GP3 the following year as a rookie as well, that is serious talent we are talking here.

I would rate Ericsson higher then Nasr, ever since mid season last year he has established an advantage that Nasr has rarely been able to topple, I would rate Nasr worse then even Haryanto, who imo could actually be a decent peddler if he got a few seasons under his belt, a good qualifying performance early on in a career suggests raw speed.

Last edited:
What do you expect? The new boy to show the way?
Yes. You're either competitive or you get out. Schumacher, Villeneuve, Hamilton and Verstappen all did it. Biding his time and moving to the top team might have worked for Palmer in GP2, but this is Formula One. Time is a luxury, least of all when there are enough talented drivers in the junior categories to make a battalion. Palmer has had ample opportunity to prove his worth and has consistently failed to live up to expectations. He has been out-qualified and out-raced by Magnussen, made stupid mistakes (Monaco), thrown away points finishes (Hungary), been dismally slow (China) and has been unable to keep up with drivers burdened with a time penalty (Russia).

When has Palmer ever produced a single race that suggests he deserves another year in the sport?

Yes. You're either competitive or you get out. Schumacher, Villeneuve, Hamilton and Verstappen all did it. Biding his time and moving to the top team might have worked for Palmer in GP2, but this is Formula One. Time is a luxury, least of all when there are enough talented drivers in the junior categories to make a battalion. Palmer has had ample opportunity to prove his worth and has consistently failed to live up to expectations. He has been out-qualified and out-raced by Magnussen, made stupid mistakes (Monaco), thrown away points finishes (Hungary), been dismally slow (China) and has been unable to keep up with drivers burdened with a time penalty (Russia).

When has Palmer ever produced a single race that suggests he deserves another year in the sport?
How about his debut in Australia mate.

How about his debut in Australia mate.
One race in a dozen? That's the best you can come up with? Ignoring for the moment the litany of mistakes and poor performances that he has had since, you would give him a future in the sport on the back of one race? Pastor Maldonado did more to deserve a spot than Palmer did.

One race in a dozen? That's the best you can come up with? Ignoring for the moment the litany of mistakes and poor performances that he has had since, you would give him a future in the sport on the back of one race? Pastor Maldonado did more to deserve a spot than Palmer did.
So I show a SINGLE RACE which is what YOU asked for and when I find it INSTANTLY YOU decide to CHANGE the rules? HA HA HA. Hater boy. That's hilarious.

I'm not even remotely a fan of this guy but the only thing I've ever said to you about Palmer before is that you give him a chance to show what he can do BEFORE you judge him as YOU had it in for him BEFORE he ever had an F1 race, which is why YOUR posts in F1 threads about drivers you don't like are not worth reading at all.

So I show a SINGLE RACE which is what YOU asked for and when I find it INSTANTLY YOU decide to CHANGE the rules?
To be honest, I wasn't expecting you to pick Australia, which was the stupidest choice you could have made, since Palmer has made all of his biggest mistakes since.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting you to pick Australia, which was the stupidest choice you could have made, since Palmer has made all of his biggest mistakes since.
So, Lewis Hamilton has made his biggest mistakes since 2007 Australia. Rosberg since Bahrain 2006. Alonso since Australia 2001. Once again you've tried to argue your point with hate rather than fact.

No **** sherlock. He couldn't exactly have done anything wrong in a F1 race before then could he? Like calling people who disagree with you stupid do you? very funny.

As much as I don't think Palmer has much to show, they do have a point. Palmer came into F1 with a better record then plenty of drivers even if it took him awhile to get it, but ever since his tweet about Verstappen when he got the STR seat I have only heard endless hate from him from yours truely.

Alot of people who don't seem to think Maldonado is talentless, look to his record in GP2 which almost looks identical to Palmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back