The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not yet but I think Hamilton will at some point head back to McLaren before his career is over. Obviously it would only happen if they get their arses into gear though. Even if they do remain midfield for the next 10 years he still may do his last season or two there, I think, as he reaches his late 30s.

Why would he go back there ? He got a title, he doesnt like all the PR he have to do there and I think he's done with that part of his life.

I would love to see Ricciardo or Alonso take the Ferrari seat.

I would love to see Riccardo at Ferrari even if it wont happen right now.

There's no way that Alonso is going back at Ferrari unless they change completely the team again and even then, I think the story between Alonso and Ferrari is finished now.

There's no way that Alonso is going back at Ferrari unless they change completely the team again and even then, I think the story between Alonso and Ferrari is finished now.
Apart from the engine being terrible, Alonso seems very happy at McLaren, so he'll probably finish his career there anyway.

DK
I think this might be the right place to post this (German) article: Lauda says that the "peace" at Mercedes is just for show.
Is that really a surprise? Both Hamilton and Rosberg have been under-cutting one another all season. Hamilton publicly questions the wisdom of swapping engineers around because he knows that the media will put pressure on the team; Rosberg tells Verstappen (who then tells the press) that Hamilton is more concerned about safety than he appears in public, because it undermines his position as a leader among the drivers.

So... Haryanto and Wehrlein Confirmed for after Summer break? Or will they join immediately for the British GP? :D

Is Verstappen contracted at Red Bull for 2017 for certain?
Hasn't been confirmed but his contract stated in 2014 that if he's not at the top team (Red Bull) in his first three years then he's up for grabs. Now he's at Red Bull, joining in May, seven months before that stated threshold. I think it's safe to say he's buckled up tight for foreseeable future.

I don't know ... that sounds awfully fishy.

After your sad efforts to paint Hamilton as the bad guy (again and again), I'm sure you hope this one holds water. Nothing else would give you more satisfaction (sad) then to see Hamilton actually be the childish rockstar you've been painting him as year after year on GP thread after GP thread. There is a reason I didn't initially quote you, and rather @DK.

After your sad efforts to paint Hamilton as the bad guy (again and again), I'm sure you hope this one holds water. Nothing else would give you more satisfaction (sad) then to see Hamilton actually be the childish rockstar you've been painting him as year after year on GP thread after GP thread.
That's not what I meant at all. Mercedes' comments feel like damage control, trying to undo what has already been done. If the interview was conducted by a Red Bull-friendly media outlet, how did Lauda get into a position where he said those things? I know journalists ask leading questions, or questions where they can infer certain things, but I struggle to see a scenario where Lauda was led to make inflammatory statements about Hamilton without realising what was going on. So either he said it and now he's trying to backtrack, or the tabloids did what tabloids do and latched onto a detail and exaggerated it as far as they could take it - in which case, this is complete mismanagement by Mercedes because the one way to guarantee that everyone reads the article is to deny it.

Rather, I suspect that someone is playing games. Mercedes know that the focus is going to be on them. What better way than to keep both of their drivers honest than to keep them firmly within the eye of public scrutiny?

That's not what I meant at all. Mercedes' comments feel like damage control, trying to undo what has already been done. If the interview was conducted by a Red Bull-friendly media outlet, how did Lauda get into a position where he said those things? I know journalists ask leading questions, or questions where they can infer certain things, but I struggle to see a scenario where Lauda was led to make inflammatory statements about Hamilton without realising what was going on. So either he said it and now he's trying to backtrack, or the tabloids did what tabloids do and latched onto a detail and exaggerated it as far as they could take it - in which case, this is complete mismanagement by Mercedes because the one way to guarantee that everyone reads the article is to deny it.

Rather, I suspect that someone is playing games. Mercedes know that the focus is going to be on them. What better way than to keep both of their drivers honest than to keep them firmly within the eye of public scrutiny?

Austrian company, and probably the biggest Austrian company in the world, owning a big Austrian media outlet, who decided to interview a well known Austrian F1 personality and 3 time wdc. Sounds quite Austrian related into how it connects...oh did I mention there were recently in Austria?

From what Lauda claims, is that his comments were taken out of context or more so done with more editor freedom then should have been given. Point being made is that if Lewis crashed a hotel room, anyone in the hotel would have made a killing to break that story to the British media or any other European outfit and yet instead we some how miraculously get it from the non-exec board member of Mercedes. A person that has a first hand in dealing with the two drivers and would do good not to upset them when much worse can happen because of it...

The only fishy part here to me, is that Lauda would some how have an old person moment and be so senile as to remember who he worked for for the day.

A person that has a first hand in dealing with the two drivers and would do good not to upset them when much worse can happen because of it...
And you don't think Hamilton upset the team when he publicly questioned the wisdom of shuffling the mechanics around? He almost certainly knew what would happen: that the media and his fans would put pressure on the team, and sure enough, Mercedes were forced to publicly deny the rumours of a conspiracy against him. When was the last time that a team had to do that? Not just in Formula One; any sport. We know drivers play the media all the time - Rosberg and Räikkönen do it, while Mark Webber was exceptionally clever at it. I struggle to believe that Hamilton had no idea what would hapoen next; if so, why go to the media at all? Why not voice those concerns within the team?

The beauty of Lauda's counter-claim is that we have no idea what the context was. What possible context could there be to an allegation - no matter how tenuous - that a driver trashed a hotel room? So we know that the comments don't exist in a vacuum, but we have no way of connecting them to anything else. What they do imply is disruptive behaviour, and I would certainly characterise questioning the team's decisions in the media to be disruptive. Its timing is no coincidence, either - it comes immediately after the collision in Austria, with Hamilton taking the moral high ground.

I think that the intended message is quite clear: that Mercedes are the ones in control. Hamilton and Rosberg might be fighting for the drivers' title, but they are supposed to be working together to win the constructors' title. Sky made the observation in Austria that after eight rounds in 2016, Hamilton was down eighty points from where he was after eight rounds in 2015. Rosberg isn't doing much better, because while he has five wins, he hasn't finished on the podium in the other three races he has finished. If the relationship spirals out of control, Ferrari and Red Bull will be ready to pounce.

I think that this is Mercedes trying to keep both of their drivers in check. They've tried to do it behind closed doors until now, and it clearly hasn't worked. So feed something into the public arena - and do it in a way that puts some distance between them and the comments - to let their drivers know that they are the ones who have the final say.

I don't see how this is related to driver transfers for this year.
You don't think that a breakdown in the relationship between team and drivers or between drivers within a team could inspire a driver to move elsewhere?

Stop trying to police the forums.

You don't think that a breakdown in the relationship between team and drivers or between drivers within a team could inspire a driver to move elsewhere?
Hamilton is under contact, Wolff has said the incident has no bearings on Nico's contract. What is being discussed here is tabloid style nonsense.

Don't start.

No I think Kanye is right, this really doesn't have anything to do with transfers. And if anything it could be seen as me feeding the troll, since you'll keep spinning it in to the classic "Hamilton's fault". So unless there is more evidence to this, I'll believe Mercedes.

Hamilton is under contact
Contracts can be broken. Mercedes have a one hundred and three point lead over Ferrari. With forty-three points on offer each race, that lead can evaporate quickly if something like Spain happens again. And if that happens again, you can bet Mercedes have something to say about it.

You're kidding yourself if you think Hamilton's contract is iron-clad, or if you think Mercedes aren't trying to manage both of their drivers. And, of course, you can believe that Niki Lauda had a "senior moment" and temporarily forgot himself long enough to say something inflammatory to a media outlet controlled by a rival at the worst possible moment, but not so long as to remember that there was a wider context to his comments - even though Lauda has a reputation for carefully thinking everything out.

Mercedes' only option right now is to treat their drivers the same way - that they're both as bad as each other, at least until they can prove that they can be trusted:

http://www.autosport.com/premium/feature/7069/history-has-created-a-monster-mercedes-cant-control

Wolff has said the incident has no bearings on Nico's contract.
Which is yet to be negotiated. Do you really think Wolff will take such an open-minded view if there's another clash between the drivers? He also said that the Spain incident was forgivable because it was the first of its kind in thirty races. The Austria incident was the first of its kind in four. It may not impact upon contract negotiations, but it certainly won't be forgotten.

Last edited:
You always have to take headlines with a pinch of salt but Sky Sports put on that Mercedes are deciding whether to sit them out for a race or fine them if it happens again.

Long story short for all of us: this relationship has hit the rocks and exploded. It's in Mercedes' best interest to separate them, meaning one of them gone. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go a miss if this happens at least twice more.

Long story short for all of us: this relationship has hit the rocks and exploded. It's in Mercedes' best interest to separate them, meaning one of them gone.
That's why I posted the link to the Autosport op-ed (they're offering free access to Premium content to celebrate the British Grand Prix) - it's easy to just look at the Austria incident in isolation, but trouble has been brewing since 2014. Probably the only reason why it hasn't spilled over until now is because Rosberg didn't really get any momentum going in his 2015 title bid. That's why I think they're both as bad as each other.

That's why I posted the link to the Autosport op-ed (they're offering free access to Premium content to celebrate the British Grand Prix) - it's easy to just look at the Austria incident in isolation, but trouble has been brewing since 2014. Probably the only reason why it hasn't spilled over until now is because Rosberg didn't really get any momentum going in his 2015 title bid. That's why I think they're both as bad as each other.
What's happened now is that they've both spat their dummies out at each other. What was a boiling point is now an imminent implosion...

What's happened now is that they've both spat their dummies out at each other. What was a boiling point is now an imminent implosion...
I think that's what Mercedes have struggled with the most. They treat their drivers pretty equally, but I think they have consistently under-estimated the way Hamilton is held to a different standard by fans and the media and haven't been able to manage it. When Hamilton defied team orders in 2014, he was apparently well within his rights to do so. But skip ahead to Austria, and to hear Ted Kravitz tell it, he was well within his rights to expect team orders telling Rosberg to move over. When he passed Rosberg, he claimed to have given him racing room, but how many times have they shared the same piece of track and Hamilton hasn't given Rosberg that room? Suzuka and Austin 2015 come to mind, as does Canada 2016 - and that's just off the top of my head. When fans analyse the race, Hamilton's previous behaviour doesn't count - but Rosberg's does; everyone was so quick to point out Rosberg blocking Hamilton in Canada a few years ago, but refused to include the likes of Suzuka 2015. And Hamilton sees no problem publicly questioning team strategy because he knows that fans and the media will put pressure on them. Since this is an English-language forum and because I can't read German very well, we're probably only getting half the picture, but I'm sure Rosberg is giving as good as he gets in the German media. So even though Mercedes have done everything right in managing their drivers, the media and the fans are a two-headed monster that they can't control. There is an expectation that they will give Hamilton preferential treatment, and pressure to do so when they are perceived as giving him anything less. I genuinely think that they have no idea how to handle it, because no driver has had such a cult following.

I think that's what Mercedes have struggled with the most. They treat their drivers pretty equally, but I think they have consistently under-estimated the way Hamilton is held to a different standard by fans and the media and haven't been able to manage it. When Hamilton defied team orders in 2014, he was apparently well within his rights to do so. But skip ahead to Austria, and to hear Ted Kravitz tell it, he was well within his rights to expect team orders telling Rosberg to move over. When he passed Rosberg, he claimed to have given him racing room, but how many times have they shared the same piece of track and Hamilton hasn't given Rosberg that room? Suzuka and Austin 2015 come to mind, as does Canada 2016 - and that's just off the top of my head. When fans analyse the race, Hamilton's previous behaviour doesn't count - but Rosberg's does; everyone was so quick to point out Rosberg blocking Hamilton in Canada a few years ago, but refused to include the likes of Suzuka 2015. And Hamilton sees no problem publicly questioning team strategy because he knows that fans and the media will put pressure on them. Since this is an English-language forum and because I can't read German very well, we're probably only getting half the picture, but I'm sure Rosberg is giving as good as he gets in the German media. So even though Mercedes have done everything right in managing their drivers, the media and the fans are a two-headed monster that they can't control. There is an expectation that they will give Hamilton preferential treatment, and pressure to do so when they are perceived as giving him anything less. I genuinely think that they have no idea how to handle it, because no driver has had such a cult following.
The biggest concern is that these aren't two similar characters. These aren't different characters. These two drivers are exactly the same person and have the exact same plan to reach the top - either they do or nobody else does. That's the biggest thing Mercedes need to worry about. It's like having two Kobe Bryant's play each other in a game of Basketball - there isn't a winner until one of them falls. Unfortunately this time, both of them fell and blamed the other.

Nah that thing went septic a long time ago, they need the entire leg removed.
Ted's talking up the prospect of "one Mr. L. Hamilton of Tewin" driving for the Scuderia in 2018. And it's easy to scoff at that, but his source is Sky Italy's lead commentator; Sergio Marchionne apparently wants him.

Are there any qualified surgeons here? I think Ferrari need someone to remove the bullet from their foot.
Which part of Vettel is their only consideration don't you get? They'd like a number two who can finish ahead of championship rivals, fair enough, but who exactly could they put in the car that would do that, and NOT get their nose out of joint playing second fiddle to Vettel?

Which part of Vettel is their only consideration don't you get? They'd like a number two who can finish ahead of championship rivals, fair enough, but who exactly could they put in the car that would do that, and NOT get their nose iut if joint playing second fiddle to Vettel?
Someone who can do it for years, and who can do it consistently? Let's be honest Räikkönen hasn't been ultra-consistent over the past few years, and even if he rediscovers his form, how long does he have left in him. There will come a time when Räikkönen retires, whether by choice or because the team let him go - and Ferrari need to be actively planning for that time, even if they're happy to let Räikkönen decide when he leaves. So long as they just take the wait-and-see approach with a rolling one-year extension, they're giving promising drivers reasons to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back