The Fear thread

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 80 comments
Australia
Central Coast, NSW
EelX 5
Kinda shocked that this hasn't been made, according to the GTP Search.

Does anyone here have a fear that they would like to share and maybe we can help each other cope with out fears :).

For me, I have a really bad case of Chiclephobia (fear of chewing gum), the sight of chewed gum and even gum in peoples mouth just makes me pull away from people rather far, I can't even look at it, I think one time I cried because people were purposely chewing in front of me, not to mention that awful day where I accidentally sat on Gum :ill::ill::ill::ill::ill::ill:.

I am also slightly Mastigophobic (fear of Punishment) though this really only applies to Physical Punishment, I am totally fine with Mental Punishment.

The thought of insanity scares me a bit, the point where the mind breaks. I guess it wouldn't matter if it did happen though.

Also scorpions. In real life, not pictures or videos.

That's about all I can think of.

But I have a favourite quote about fear:

“Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist. That is near insanity. Do not misunderstand me danger is very real but fear is a choice.”

My favorite quote concerning fear.
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
From Frank Herbert's Dune.

> Loud, sudden noises (Balloons terrify me. Don't laugh. Just kidding, laugh.)
> Thunderstorms (mostly to do with the above, but I'm scared of the lightning flashes as well)

And people who refuse to listen to any genre of music in particular. :P

The Emergency Alert System. I've heard it at least a thousand times and can never get used to it. My biggest fear though is hearing it when I'm sleeping or am in the dark.

Also, another one of my biggest fears is sleeping and not waking up while there is a storm or fire while home by myself.

I'm home by myself quite a bit and get paranoid when there's a bad thunderstorm around when I go to sleep. I have a fear that lightning will hit the house and set it on fire and no one will be around to wake me up..

Curious, is anyone out there Claustrophobic.

I never truly understood what it is like.
One of my cousins is claustrophobic.

There has to be an open window / door otherwise she starts hyperventilating or enters in panic.

I have a lot:

-Falling
-Bugs
-Being Controlled
-Losing Control
-Being alone (If I'm alone for like a couple of minutes, I probably will go insane)
-Like @GranTurismo916, Loud Sudden Noises

There's a whole lot more I could list here, but these are my main ones.

Ladders, I guess would be my biggest nemesis. I absolutely hate ladders. I used to rappel off cliffs without issue, but I get real nervous on step ladders. Not as young as I used to be, & don't heal as quick as I used to. Of course I would still back over the edge of a cliff on a rope, & never think anything of it.

I'm kind of scared of tomatoes.
You won't like the main protagonist of Yugioh ARC-V then :P
tumblr_ncj3mzIIM01ruc976o4_1280.png

Needles, giving blood. I would rather be cut with a knife. I'm not afraid of much, but that gets me. I used to be afraid of flying, but not as much anymore.

I think it's from the time I had a very bad nurse put a needle straight through my arm when I was 5. It's a terrible thing to be afraid of. It's not the pain either, I've been through knee surgery, and I was completely fine with the pain afterwords, the worst part was getting the IV put in. It's just the feeling of having the needle in your vein that gets me.

Needles, giving blood.

YES! I am deathly afraid of needles. Being at the doctor's or dentist, if they have to give me any type of shot, I always ask them to prepare the needle to where I cannot see it. I legitimately almost smacked a needle out of my doctor's hand when I was 17.

Well, I'd say that I'm scared about some few things. Heights for example. But only "big" heights. I once was on a television tower with my class with a huge glass front. Nope, I didn't dare to get close to that glass. Some of my class mates even leaned on it. Also, I freaking hate Wasps. I'll leave the room as soon as there is one in my room, like someone mentioned before. And I'm scares of spiders. Just terrible animals. Maybe fascinating to look at (the little ones), but then there are tarantulas. Terrible animals.

-Wasps/Bees/Hornets (When those aggressive red wasps come out in the late summer by the thousands, I have to be dragged outside :S)
-Deep water (can't swim)
-Nighttime Severe T-Storms/Tornadoes (The fact that I can't see anything but lightning flashes just terrifies me. You'll never see anything coming until its too late!)
-Sudden loud noises (NO BALLOONS at my birthday parties XD)

I remember a friend of mine who was afraid of wasps, in Year 8 he accidentally broke the Smart Board running away from one. I felt so sorry for him, especially when he got picked on because of the broken Smart Board :(.

@MiniM00S3 Funny thing was that despite my love for things Water, as a Child I was afraid of deep water too, that's until I decided to learn how to Swim, maybe try putting in some Swimming lessons or have someone teach you how to Swim to overcome your fear of deep water?

@MiniM00S3 Funny thing was that despite my love for things Water, as a Child I was afraid of deep water too, that's until I decided to learn how to Swim, maybe try putting in some Swimming lessons or have someone teach you how to Swim to overcome your fear of deep water?

I have had a few lessons since I used to be in Boy Scouts, but I never could get it down. I can at least struggle to stay afloat but I wouldn't call it swimming.

• Heights
  • Bugs (with the exception of flies, mosquitoes and ladybugs)
  • Deep water (can't swim properly)
I used to be afraid of party poppers too. When I was younger, I burned myself with the string on one. Until last year, I was too afraid to use them.

-Wasps/Bees/Hornets (When those aggressive red wasps come out in the late summer by the thousands, I have to be dragged outside :S)

Where do you live where thousands of angry red wasps come out in the summer so that I know to never, ever go there?

Back