The Fear thread

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 80 comments
Wasps, because they are clearly the most evil creatures that live on our planet.

Also, if I see one, I'll probably scream and run away as fast as I can.

My list of what I can think of at the moment.
  • To be took hostage and tortured.
  • Being lost.
  • Failure.

Wasps, because they are clearly the most evil creatures that live on our planet.

Also, if I see one, I'll probably scream and run away as fast as I can.

See above.

Being a failure as a father.

Death.

Elevators. Its not the riding I'm afraid of. Its the "going inside" that is. Elevators are literally just huge guillotines.

No, they're not. Guillotines were designed to kill you as efficiently as possible. Elevators are designed with many layers of protection with the absolute requirement that all occupants may ride it safely.

@Omnis My fear started after watching elevator accidents. I also rode a broken elevator alone once. It was moving so fast and shaking badly and missed a floor too. When it stopped I literally jumped out of the doors and immediately reported it to the building administrators. It was closed off for 2 days.

I'm hopelessly afraid of falling and suffer from vertigo pretty badly.

Which sucks 'cause I work as a construction contractor, so climbing ladders and scaffolding is a frequent thing.

Driving under bridges, especially slowly, and if there's a train on it I get real antsy. You should see me when I have to drive through super slow rush hour traffic under a certain set of 2 bridges for highways. There's a little gap in the middle so if it's stop and go I stop so that I'm sitting under the gap until I can get completely through to the other side.

That's probably my worst one, but I am a little bit afraid of heights because of one thing that almost happened that certainly would have meant I wouldn't be posting this, so let's tell the story of probably the scariest couple of seconds of my life.

Back in 2007 I was a scout, and that was a great year to be a scout in Canada because for the first time in 6 years there was a Jamboree. Our local group sent 2 units (unit consists of 2 leaders and 8 youths) to the Jamboree, from Durham region all the way to Tamaracouta, Quebec. The thing was a week long and was an incredible trip, there was even a group flown from an Asian country although I don't remember which. So yes it was all great and amazing except for this one event (apart from the one I know darn well I left a sweater I had just gotten on my grade 8 grad trip less than 2 months earlier). Now this event was an obstacle course, and I still love obstacle courses, but never again will I do one that involves me being more than twice my height off the ground.

I rather unfortunately don't remember the parts leading up to this last part, but boy was this sucker a doozy. Out in this Scout reserve, miles from the nearest reasonably sized town, the event planner people had erected what I recall being 3 telephone poles. At the top of these poles was a platform, with probably about 5 more feet of pole above that had bracing and climbing safety paraphernalia attached to it. Now you were to reach the platform via a rope grid ladder that wasn't exactly well fastened through the full height so depending on what other people were doing in their climb you could have been shaken around a bit.

So my turn comes to go up this ladder, they get us in full rappelling gear to absolutely ensure no one is falling off this thing so going up wasn't a big deal. I climb it with virtually no problems until I start getting near the top. As I approach the top I start getting nervous, as a 13 year old would being this high off the ground, and I begin to get a little shaky. Not a big deal right? Well I guess I should probably tell you how one gets down from this platform, you zipline. This zipline was a solid 250-300 metres long, obviously you can't make one that height really short or else people will just hit the ground. Anyway I get to the top and the activity person helping that lane up there starts getting me unbuckled so I can get on the zipline. I'm pretty nervous at this point because this is unquestionably the highest I've been off the ground. There was a wire for you to attach yourself to if the zipline wasn't quite ready at the time you got up there, so I'm attached to this wire, even holding onto it because I'm that nervous. Zipline's ready now, great, I can get off of here and be on solid ground and go on my merry way. So the helper, who I think was a guy, I don't really remember, they tell me to detach myself from the safety wire so I can be attached to the zipline. I do exactly that, and in the moment I'm turning around to take the like one step to get over there, it happens.

One of my legs buckled.

The speed at which the fear came over me, you couldn't snap you fingers fast enough even if you were completely ready.

I think I caught myself before anything happened, but I don't exactly remember, either way that helper held onto me real tight until I went down the zipline. I remember that whole ride down how shaky I was, near the end there were other people from our group, and my Dad who was one of the leaders on the trip, had a camera and was taking pictures of our group going down. I did some half-arsed cross-legged hindu pose, but every time I see that picture all I remember is how close I came to falling off that platform.

Bonus fear, the possibility of being a failure for my girlfriend because no one seems to want to hire me.

I've got a pathological fear of diseases and injuries that cause loss of control over myself or greatly compromises my mental health. Like Alzheimer, brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, paraplegia etc.

I don't even want to talk about it because in this area I'm highly superstitious as well.

GAH now I've done it, now I feel super uncomfortable. :indiff:

Elevators. Its not the riding I'm afraid of. Its the "going inside" that is. Elevators are literally just huge guillotines.
I have that problem with those Ticket Check areas you see on Train Stations, I literally dash pass it when the gate opens as I don't know when it'll shut.

Despite the fact that I love travelling all over the world and I work at an aerospace company, one of my biggest fears is flying. I suppose it's the anticipation and the take off that gets to me the most, but after the first few hours I settle down. Turbulence really gets me too.

I have thanatophobia, the fear of death. I can't hear about it without feeling queasy; the idea of death frightens me greatly.

The funny thing is most fears are irrational, so you have to wonder why we fear things? Anyway, here are mine.

-Claustrophobia - I have to get MRI's every few months. I hate it. The first one I ever had to get was especially difficult for me because it lasted 45 minutes. Usually I'll have them put a dry washcloth over my eyes. It definitely helps.
-Heights - I hate ladders. If I'm simply on a step stool, I dread going above the 2nd step. It also doesn't help that I have trouble controlling my legs since a surgery four years ago (completely relearned how to walk, still have balance issues, use a cane/crutch, climbing ladders / walking down slopes is difficult). Even before the surgery, just looking up when I was standing or sitting on something tall made me feel like I was going to fall at any second. The odd thing is, I LOVE rollercoasters. The higher, the better. I guess it's because I know I'm plenty safe on those bad boys.
-Wasps/Spiders - For whatever reason, spiders don't bother me now as much as they used to. I guess I respect the guys for killing all the other annoying bugs that are in the house. Wasps on the other hand...I hate those b@stards. They don't produce honey, don't pollinate flowers (that I know of, I could be wrong though), I hate the look of 'em. They simply just sting for the hell of it.
-Needles - I always look away when they're preparing and inserting them into me. A shot in the arm doesn't bother me a whole lot, but the thought of the needle penetrating a vein...:ill: Knowing that a bruise is bleeding from the inside, I hate to see that on my arm or top of hand. However, it isn't like they hurt all that much. Hell, papercuts are generally more painful than shots. I still despise them anyway.

Power lines. You could pin the winning numbers for the upcoming lottery to a pylon and I wouldnt go near, let alone under it. Funny thing is I have no idea why.

I get terrified of things that go in circles, especially if I'm sitting in it. Those teacup rides in amusement parks were my worst fear as a kid.

I also have a fear of throwing up.

I second the elevator. When you walk in and look down the crack between the elevator and the wall... ohhh

Almost thought I was gonna die when I looked down between the new world trade center elevators..

I have tons of them.

Blood, but only my own, and only if it's coming from a wound. If I'm injured, I panic. Someone else could be bleeding out in front of me, and I'd be able to help them. If it happened to me? I'd go into shock.

Surgery involving anesthesia. Unfortunately, I need one on the 29th. I'm mortified, honestly. Hours where I have no idea what's going on, or if something's going wrong.

Stinging insects. I'm not allergic, they just scare me.

Roaches. Because they're stealthy little buggers.

Being robbed. I randomly look over my shoulder while I'm walking to make sure no one is trying to sneak up on me.

Being unable to get a nice job with a steady income and getting stuck in a dead-end job that pays awful.

There's a lot more little ones, but those are the major ones.

Guess this is very, very common.

Makes me kinda feel silly about having Chiclephobia :lol:

Fear of wasps is a totally legit fear.
I got stung by wasps like 25 times or so while I only received one hit'n run by a bee and zero by hornets and bumblebees. According to my experiences bees are busy harvesting nectar while lazy wasps feed of rotten fruits, get drunk and then go look for trouble all the time. Most of the wasps chased and attacked me for no reason at all, I was not even near their nest nor did I threaten them in any way.

Fear of wasps is a totally legit fear.
I got stung by wasps like 25 times or so while I only received one hit'n run by a bee and zero by hornets and bumblebees. According to my experiences bees are busy harvesting nectar while lazy wasps feed of rotten fruits, get drunk and then go look for trouble all the time. Most of the wasps chased and attacked me for no reason at all, I was not even near their nest nor did I threaten them in any way.
Isn't every fear a legit fear? I mean they exist and people usually get them through some kind of experience.

Back