The Ford Puma is back for 2020...

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 108 comments
I don't think the ST-Line Ecosport looks too bad in some colours:

ford-ecosport-st-line.jpg

Interesting observations since this (the XCeed) was officially revealed the same day as the Puma, and the similarities are... See for yourself:
86ea880d-kia-xceed-5.jpg
I think the GLA looks much better in silver.

I used to own a real Puma... this one is just, well, sacrilege! (But I dislike all Crossovers so that's hardly surprising)... this was Goodwood yesterday. Nearly all the cars were in the best blue colour, unsurprisingly. I didn't take a photo of the Eco **** though...

20190705_172628.jpg

20190705_172011.jpg

20190705_172228.jpg

20190705_172258.jpg

Ford announces they are working on yet another global crossover, which will rival the current Subaru Outback; it will be sold in both Europe and USA, and in Europe will replace the Mondeo, S-Max, and Galaxy.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/ford-working-on-new-global-crossover-to-rival-subaru-outback/

Is this really a good idea? The outback is more of a lifted wagon than a true-blue crossover to begin with, which is more of a niche market anyway. In the US at least, the Outback sells okay, but it's competitors (Golf Alltrack, Regal TourX) hardly sell at all.

FFFFFFFFFFF!!

NOOO! NOT COOL!

How dare they defile this absolute legend of a car:
ford_racing_puma_03.jpg

Seriously though...not only will it be going forward as a hybrid, but a crossover at that...yikes.

2020 Ford Puma: This is it
fa90c4f0-ford-puma-10.jpg

7813b05c-ford-puma-9.jpg

35c62eb2-ford-puma-6.jpg

The front end will take some getting used to, but I must say it looks quite attractive from the side and the rear. Still not keen on the use of the Puma nameplate, but it is what it is.

Did Ford run out of names??? Why ????

Like Mitsubishi and the Eclipse...

Marketing will cost the same either way... Using the same name isn't going to save anything....

Any name but the Puma would have been perfect.

I own a 2001 1.7 Puma, its such a great little quirky looking car!

Ford should have called it the Ford Cougar.
Yeah, I'm going to say no thanks to that. I'm not sure if Ford is going to sell that here in the US, but if it was sold here as the Cougar; I think some people might not like that. Mainly because of this:
C-1968-Cougar-Green-207-e1505504454505-940x511.jpg

I really don't think calling a CUV the same name as a 60s pony car (or a 70s Land yacht) is a good idea.

I don't mind it. If that's the more aggressively styled variant, I suspect I'd actually like the base model.

Here you go (Titanium variant)
Ford-Puma-foto-Adrian-Mitrea-00.jpg

Ford-Puma-foto-Adrian-Mitrea-01.jpg

Looks sensible enough, but I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to end the two-tone colour scheme before the rear spoiler, looks unfinished.

Looks sensible enough, but I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to end the two-tone colour scheme before the rear spoiler, looks unfinished.
Yeah, see, I think that bodywork looks fantastic. The fascias are actually even better than I expected for the more subdued version. What's covered by the nameplate in front is very intriguing.

Definitely with you on the color split as well. I don't know quite where I would do that given the shape of the greenhouse; I could perhaps see a curved line similar to a shark's fin traced between the bottom of the rear glass to where the white starts against the side glass, and then follow the trend of the "floating roof" by tracing from the bottom of the spoiler to the top of the side glass.

Edit: I should say it would probably look better in a single color. The lower sills and fender cladding are sufficient.

Last edited:
Yeah, see, I think that bodywork looks fantastic. The fascias are actually even better than I expected for the more subdued version. What's covered by the nameplate in front is very intriguing.

Definitely with you on the color split as well. I don't know quite where I would do that given the shape of the greenhouse; I could perhaps see a curved line similar to a shark's fin traced between the bottom of the rear glass to where the white starts against the side glass, and then follow the trend of the "floating roof" by tracing from the bottom of the spoiler to the top of the side glass.

I'm gonna agree. This is the first crossover (in my personal memory) that has proportions that suit its particular size. It just looks right in a way that so many others look wrong. It might be too hyperbolic to say it's a paradigm shift in design...but it doesn't look like it belongs to the current era of car design. This is a good thing.

Also. It looks good in white. If a car looks good in white than it's a good design, because you can't hide unsightly features / fussiness in the ambiguity of shadows.

Last edited:
I'm gonna agree. This is the first crossover (in my personal memory) that has proportions that suit its particular size. It just looks right in a way that so many others look wrong. It might be too hyperbolic to say it's a paradigm shift in design...but it doesn't look like it belongs to the current era of car design. This is a good thing.
Absolutely. And what I'm given to understand is the upcoming Escape reinforces it.

2020-Ford-Escape-Greenfield-Village-debut.jpeg

I like the lower half of the base Puma's front fascia more though.

I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but I thought the C-HR looked pretty cool. This reminds me a bit of that, but with a much smoother cleaner design. Though it does seem to be inching towards the regular hatchback category.

Spotted in the wild. I live near the Ford Dunton factory so it isn't uncommon to see the test vehicles out and about.

Attachments

• 20190810_095234.jpg
    20190810_095234.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190810_095251.jpg
    20190810_095251.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190810_095313.jpg
    20190810_095313.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 29

The spoiler should be black, the aerial should be black, and the wing mirror caps should be the same colour as the two-tone split roof. Also, the 'M' has changed on the final product, so this is most definitely a test build, not final.

Here is the Titanium X variant (looks finished this time round!)
2020-ford-puma-titanium-x.jpg

I still think it looks decent, but the Juke has stolen the show in this sector. Who would have guessed? :D

Here is the Titanium X variant (looks finished this time round!)

I still think it looks decent, but the Juke has stolen the show in this sector. Who would have guessed? :D

Juke is a much bigger car though, this is more akin to the Fiesta. Juke is a chonky car. Juke is also a lot cheaper too which makes no sense lol!

Juke is a much bigger car though, this is more akin to the Fiesta. Juke is a chonky car.

Strongly doubt it - the new Juke is built on the CMF-B platform which is bound to make it the same size as the new Renault Captur. No doubt the Puma and Juke are direct competitors as they are both B-segment crossovers targeting a style-conscious market.

Update: The Nissan is 100mm longer, but the Puma and Juke are pretty much equal in height and width. Potential buyers would definitely be cross-shopping between the two vehicles.

Last edited:
Puma is confirmed for Australia later part of 2020. Engine lineup will be revealed later. Automatic transmission is expected due to demand in the Australian market.

I like the look of the back. Plus, being the size of the Fiesta, might bring young people over to Ford. Especially if the warranty is close to Hyundai & Kia.

Latest Posts

Back