The Ford Puma is back for 2020...

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 108 comments
Ford Puma ST spotted completely undisguied:
2021-Ford-Puma-ST-spy-shots-2.jpg

2021-Ford-Puma-ST-spy-shots-3.jpg

2021-Ford-Puma-ST-spy-shots-10.jpg

2021-Ford-Puma-ST-spy-shots-9.jpg

Not many differences from the ST-Line, but visual upgrades include a front splitter, redesigned lower grille with exposed intercooler, twin pipes poking out the rear and a re-profiled rear spoiler.

After an initial disdain, for the name being used for a compact Suv rather than a cheap, young coupe...well i saw several of them, in red and blue and its a really nice car. If i was on the market for a B segment Suv it would be either this or a Mazda.

After an initial disdain, for the name being used for a compact Suv rather than a cheap, young coupe...well i saw several of them, in red and blue and its a really nice car. If i was on the market for a B segment Suv it would be either this or a Mazda.
SUV? This thing appears to be the same height as that little hatchback on steelies in the first pic. What is that, a Nissan Versa?

Also, what country is this in? Why are there European license plates, but E-85, but cab-over trucks, but a Ford Explorer? How did that Explorer get there? I didn't know E-85 existed anywhere but the US and Canada.

@Keef I believe the one on steelies is another prototype Puma. The yellow small van is a Fiat, so it's almost certainly some European country.

SUV? This thing appears to be the same height as that little hatchback on steelies in the first pic. What is that, a Nissan Versa?

Also, what country is this in? Why are there European license plates, but E-85, but cab-over trucks, but a Ford Explorer? How did that Explorer get there? I didn't know E-85 existed anywhere but the US and Canada.

From another angle, you can see that car is a 4th-gen Ford Focus:
2021-Ford-Puma-ST-spy-shots-7.jpg

Bear in mind the ST has lower suspension than regular models, so its height will be more comparable to a conventional hatchback.

Here is the article with the full set of images, which can help you decipher which country this was taken in. ;) Based on seeing Lappland in the picture above, I'm gonna go with Sweden.

Also, what country is this in?
Everyone does cold-weather testing at Arjeplog in Sweden. There's an entire industry built around it there, and the seasonal worker population outnumbers the local population by 4 to 1. It's also reportedly quite hostile to wandering car-paps, as a result of wanting to keep all the car manufacturers - who wander around the area in non-camo testing prototypes - coming back year on year.

But the photo was taken in this gas station 50 miles southeast.

Last edited:

man i saw it IRL several times and it is a SUV as much as a cx3 Mazda or a Peugeot 2008 is a Suv...

Last edited:
cx3 Mazda
This is the only one of those we get in the US. Clearly we have different standards for what is an "SUV" than Europe. The CX3 is just a tiny, tall hatchback in the US. I guess we'd use the word Crossover, which is basically a hatchback with AWD and a higher seating position. The CX5, the midsize class, is about where SUVs begin in North America.

I guess the loose term for the small crossover/SUV, is "CUV". It's been used throughout Gtplanet forums. I use it at times.

This is the only one of those we get in the US. Clearly we have different standards for what is an "SUV" than Europe. The CX3 is just a tiny, tall hatchback in the US. I guess we'd use the word Crossover, which is basically a hatchback with AWD and a higher seating position. The CX5, the midsize class, is about where SUVs begin in North America.
well they market it as an SUV, i work in automotive industry, those are B segment SUVs... dunno what to say.

The first-gen Explorer was sold in Europe.

197hp Ford Puma ST is official, debuting in this striking shade of green:
2021-Ford-Puma-ST-European-spec-56.jpg

2021-Ford-Puma-ST-European-spec-57.jpg

2021-Ford-Puma-ST-European-spec-59.jpg

Out of all the variants released, this is probably closest to delivering thrills in a similar vein to the original.

A Puma-badged World Rally Car has been the best use of the name since it was revived for the crossover. Looks far more reminiscent of the original with the lower profile too!

Official video from Ford Europe:

Though I understand that it is a prototype, I find it curious that this Puma has the same glasshouse, doors and side profile as the Fiesta test car that was seen testing recently. The rear end also looks to have been recycled from the Fiesta aside from the (admittedly nice-looking) lights and tailgate.

Overall, looking good so far, but I have to wonder how closely the final 2022-spec car will resemble the road-going Puma once it takes to the stages.

Yeah it looks like it's just the old Fiesta body with Puma lights

You can see the Fiesta window here. They just put the wrap over it to make it look more like the Puma's greenhouse shape

1625777161912.png

Makes sense. I wonder if they've done this just because it's a prototype or if ultimately it doesn't really matter as long as it fits the regs which the Fiesta already did. Good eye @VulcanSpirit. I've obviously never seen a Puma in person so I didn't pick up on those differences through the camo.

Last edited:
Back