The Formula 1 Calendar ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 248 comments
LeClerc believes F1 without Monaco isn't F1.

Ignoring the bias the Monegasque driver has, is it above even odds that Monaco will be removed from the calendar after this season?
Probably not. Their contract is up soon and all the talk about removing it is most likely being driven by FOM who want to get a better deal from them, primarily two things - more $, and finally wrestle the video direction away from TCM and do it themselves like every other race.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Monaco was switched to be every 2 years, or even 4. Keep it special, but not clog up every season with a non-race.

LeClerc believes F1 without Monaco isn't F1.

Ignoring the bias the Monegasque driver has, is it above even odds that Monaco will be removed from the calendar after this season?
Appears Alonso & Max share a similar sentiment for it to remain.

As championship leader and 2021 #MonacoGP winner, Max Verstappen, gives his take on the race staying in F1:

"The historic value, and the amazing weekends we’ve had over the years, it belongs on the calendar."

Last edited:
Monaco will be on the calendar until there is a crash that proves that F1 cars have outgrown it's tiny confines.
Sadly, that moment is overdue and there are plenty of places where it can all go wrong here.

It needs to be a time attack. Refresh the weekend format of Monaco and turn it into a truly unique one-off event. The best bit is qualifying, so on Sunday instead of a race, we have everyone do 2 runs of 2 laps with their times added together. We will see every single driver go absolutely flat out for, 2 balls out flying laps, twice.

If you want to keep it on the calendar make it an end-of-season exhibition or non-championship event.

Honestly though, give the title of "Monaco Grand Prix" to the Formula E guys. The races on the full circuit have been absolutely amazing and put anything F1 has had to shame.

What people fail to realise, yeah it's a tight circuit but it has pretty much the same amount of overtaking places as most other circuits. There is three potential "main" overtaking places at Monaco and there is also three "main overtaking places at Catalunya also so I can't see why there is so much hate. Me personally I expect it to be a more exciting race than in recent years for the simple fact that these cars have to run alot lower to utilise the ground effect and with Monaco being a bumpy circuit, it's really going to challenge the drivers more so than ever.

What people fail to realise, yeah it's a tight circuit but it has pretty much the same amount of overtaking places as most other circuits. There is three potential "main" overtaking places at Monaco and there is also three "main overtaking places at Catalunya also so I can't see why there is so much hate. Me personally I expect it to be a more exciting race than in recent years for the simple fact that these cars have to run alot lower to utilise the ground effect and with Monaco being a bumpy circuit, it's really going to challenge the drivers more so than ever.
You can't be serious? The overtaking spots at Monaco are FAR tougher to execute than even Catalunya, never mind some of the other, easier tracks.

Only the chicane out of the tunnel is half of a overtaking spot.
The straight isn’t due to a bend and tighting before the corner. Ask Verstappen in the Torro Rosso.
Leclerc proved that the double right hander before the main straight is a risky option when others leave the door open.

You can't be serious? The overtaking spots at Monaco are FAR tougher to execute than even Catalunya, never mind some of the other, easier tracks.
I never said it wasn't tougher but they are there. But that's what Monaco is all about, being precise and getting close enough to make the move.

Screenshot_20220528-194145.png

Liberty really like long contracts at the minute, don't they. Hungary until 2032, Qatar until 2033, Miami until 2032, Abu Dhabi until 2030, now this.

F2 and F3 are joining the support series' for Australia too.

Is F2 and F3 going a good thing? I thought the packed support with all the best of Australian Series' is incredible and it's about the only race on the calendar that doesn't need to be filled with F2 and F3.

Supercars, GTs, Formula Ford, F5000 and everything else makes it such a festival and celebration of Australian Motorsport. I suppose the large amount of Australian and New Zealander drivers in those series' doing well right now makes it a much better circuit to head to than some of the others on the calendar usually.

F2 and F3 are joining the support series' for Australia too.

Is F2 and F3 going a good thing? I thought the packed support with all the best of Australian Series' is incredible and it's about the only race on the calendar that doesn't need to be filled with F2 and F3.

Supercars, GTs, Formula Ford, F5000 and everything else makes it such a festival and celebration of Australian Motorsport. I suppose the large amount of Australian and New Zealander drivers in those series' doing well right now makes it a much better circuit to head to than some of the others on the calendar usually.
Formula Ford doesn't race at Albert Park anymore, apparently.

If Supercars and S5000 are the only other support series, that makes for four support series in one weekend. That's not too unusual. The British GP will have F2, F3, W Series and Porsche Supercup this year.

The real problem is that sending F2 and F3 teams to the other side of the world, while they usually never leave Europe and the Middle East, is incredibly expensive for those teams. They already have enough venues for those series anyway. The teams and drivers have nothing to gain from this.

"A FIA delegation is in Morocco today to inspect Sidi Dawi circuit's ability to host an eventual F1 Grand Prix"

Any elaboration on why?
The calendar's packed enough as it is with loads of other more viable circuits/nations vying to be on it. I understand the need to have a race in Africa, which is something I've always supported, but South Africa is a far more suitable venue. There is a bit of heritage, as of course we raced there in the 1950s, but if we go down the #WeRaceAsOne line, Morocco is not the most gay-friendly of countries. The security of venues like Spa and Monaco and the return of Germany needs to be prioritised before adding more venues like this.

The calendar's packed enough as it is with loads of other more viable circuits/nations vying to be on it. I understand the need to have a race in Africa, which is something I've always supported, but South Africa is a far more suitable venue. There is a bit of heritage, as of course we raced there in the 1950s, but if we go down the #WeRaceAsOne line, Morocco is not the most gay-friendly of countries. The security of venues like Spa and Monaco and the return of Germany needs to be prioritised before adding more venues like this.
Won't see a race in Germany anyte soon apparently the government doesn't want to pay the race fees

Won't see a race in Germany anyte soon apparently the government doesn't want to pay the race fees
Wasn't VAG interested in picking up the tab for it based on their 2026 entry into the sport?

They didn't commit to anything they just said there are plans for a revival. Could also be possible to switch every year with Paul Ricard or someone else. I guess this switch with races only every 2 years will be a model for the future for some F1 venues with lots of interest from so many countrys and tracks nowadays.

The WRC tried to do a calendar swap like that with rotational events for a few years in the early 2010s. I say few because it was dropped pretty soon after.

Provisional 2023 calendar according to Dutch media

• Season starts on March 5 in Bahrain
  • 23 races or 24 races depending on China going ahead
  • Belgium and France the provisional dropouts
  • South Africa also on calendar
  • Las Vegas on November 18

Back