• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 248 comments
Provisional 2023 calendar according to Dutch media

• Season starts on March 5 in Bahrain
  • 23 races or 24 races depending on China going ahead
  • Belgium and France the provisional dropouts
  • South Africa also on calendar
  • Las Vegas on November 18

Australia is round one, that's part of the agreement for the contract extention at melbourne

Apparently it is, that's what Australian media told us when reporting on the story, wether it's true or not we have to wait and see.
Not saying that didn't happen locally, I'm not there obviously, but I couldn't find any single mention of it online. The official press release doesn't mention it.

I did find one article where they said they understand the opposite is true:

Prior to its break, the Australian GP has been placed as the season-opener but earlier this year, it was the third round after Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
https://cdn.crash.net/styles/large_article/s3/pa/3044118.0064.jpg
Crash.net understands that the Australian GP is also unlikely to host the first race of the 2023 campaign.
So I don't know if someone got some duff info locally or something, but I think it'd be mentioned somewhere online if it were the case. Unfortunately we're likely to have Middle East races starting and ending the championship for the foreseeable future so long as $ is all FOM care about, not history.

Not saying that didn't happen locally, I'm not there obviously, but I couldn't find any single mention of it online. The official press release doesn't mention it.

I did find one article where they said they understand the opposite is true:

So I don't know if someone got some duff info locally or something, but I think it'd be mentioned somewhere online if it were the case. Unfortunately we're likely to have Middle East races starting and ending the championship for the foreseeable future so long as $ is all FOM care about, not history.
I went and had a look to and couldn't find anything backing up what I mentioned earlier either. Most likely like you said, local news not knowing anything after all they used to say "shoemaker" so that probably explains enough 😂

France is gone for next year. Domenicale has said that history isn't enough to keep hosting a race.

So, bye Monaco too then?

Last edited:
France is gone for next year. Domenicale has said that history isn't enough to keep hosting a race.

So, bye Monaco too then?
The possibility is more real than ever, especially if ACM won't pay the fees to match other countries that they're now being asked for.

It doesn't seem as hyperbolic as a few years ago to say that the future of F1 may be North America, Asia and the Middle East.

If any place in the world has more than enough money to throw at something as frivolous and opulent as a Formula 1 race, Monaco is definitely that place.

24 races but still only 3 engines? The latter races will continue to be farcical with all the penalties.
3 US races, 4 in the Middle East, 2 in Italy - yeah, a real global calendar. At least Spa survived for one more year.

a real global calendar
Speaking of which...

1663686092046.png

Just... so stupid.

Edit: Las Vegas is on a Saturday!?

Last edited:
Depends on your time zone - 10pm Saturday PST, 1am Sunday EST, 6am GMT
Where did you get those times from? F1 would be insane to start the race that late local time.

That's one way to screw over viewership for the F1 race for the United States. Essentially run it as if they are racing in South Korea.

Last edited:
It's Vegas, of course they're going to hold it late.

They picked the wrong weekend then. They would be better off doing it the next weekend and not that one. Not on a 4 day weekend and I cannot see where the intelligence is to hold a race at 1 AM ET. Correct me if I am wrong, but no other country has (or had) a situation where the F1 race essentially killed the race time for more than half of those living there. (China has one time zone and most people live in the area where the race is held, Russia has multiple time zones but again, most people lived in the area where the race was held.)

They picked the wrong weekend then. They would be better off doing it the next weekend and not that one. Not on a 4 day weekend and I cannot see where the intelligence is to hold a race at 1 AM ET. Correct me if I am wrong, but no other country has (or had) a situation where the F1 race essentially killed the race time for more than half of those living there. (China has one time zone and most people live in the area where the race is held, Russia has multiple time zones but again, most people lived in the area where the race was held.)
It works very nicely if you live in California, Japan, or Australia, but basically nowhere else.

It’s a race for the DTS crowd

Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei added that he thought the timing of the Las Vegas race would "find real happiness with all those teenagers that now have to get up on Saturday morning and Sunday morning and complain the races are on too early in Europe".

"Now they'll be able to stay up late on Saturday night and enjoy it," said Maffei.”

Indeed, but the race is still on a Saturday in its home timezone. That hasn't happened in almost 40 years - Kyalami in 1985 was the last non-Sunday (and was a Saturday).

Edit: Three more DNFs for Leclerc guaranteed:

Last edited:
Indeed, but the race is still on a Saturday in its home timezone. That hasn't happened in almost 40 years - Kyalami in 1985 was the last non-Sunday (and was a Saturday).
For me it’s still a Sunday race, and in the end that’s all that really matters :D

It’s a race for the DTS crowd

Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei added that he thought the timing of the Las Vegas race would "find real happiness with all those teenagers that now have to get up on Saturday morning and Sunday morning and complain the races are on too early in Europe".

"Now they'll be able to stay up late on Saturday night and enjoy it," said Maffei.”
Ah yes, all of the teenagers who probably have nothing better to do on a Saturday night and F1 should hope that the NFL doesn't move a game to Saturday night (they still might do that) or the NBA, NHL or College Football don't schedule anything that day (they all probably will and there might be multiple events competing for interest. If they are gung-ho on a Saturday night race, it would have made more sense to do it on the weekend after and swap Abu Dhabi and Las Vegas. This is a losing proposition.

I just wonder what the crowd will be like as by the time the race starts I have to imagine a good portion of the crowd will legally qualify as drunk and completely wasted by the end.

Those are the same times as the Japanese GP. Pretty reasonable all things considered. Clearly doesn't have the eastern USA as the target audience though.

Back