The Future Looks Bright for the Forza Series

"I love the Assetto Corsa team, I love what they’re doing and the perspective they are bringing in and I’m excited for what they do next."

What if they buy Kunos? I would love a Forza Motorsports game with Assetto Corsa's handling system.

Notice how he didn't say "the Assetto Corsa game." I know this is just a wild speculation, but this is the internet and I'm entitled at least one free baseless rumor. Dear Turn 10 (or Microsoft), make it happen.

"I love the Assetto Corsa team, I love what they’re doing and the perspective they are bringing in and I’m excited for what they do next."

What if they buy Kunos? I would love a Forza Motorsports game with Assetto Corsa's handling system.

Notice how he didn't say "the Assetto Corsa game." I know this is just a wild speculation, but this is the internet and I'm entitled at least one free baseless rumor. Dear Turn 10 (or Microsoft), make it happen.

Kunos have already been bought by Digital Bros, so a takeover by MS is not going to happen.
https://www.gtplanet.net/kunos-simulazioni-to-be-acquired-by-digital-bros/

I think it has never been better. With regards to Forza they kind of went in the direction that most people thought GT would be in 20 years later. Both by taking the car collecting theme to the max and by releasing an open world spin off.

Instead GTS is trying something new now which might pay or not pay off, but it will be interesting to see how engaged they can get their console audience to go and race online.

Then PCARS 2 which is shaping up to be an all out 'racers' experience due to its career and all the features it will bring us, Kunos now having the money to expand and go all out for Assetto Corsa 2. And don't forget Simbin which plans to bring GTR3 to consoles too.

If you like racing games, it's a great time to be alive :).

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Michael Leary (@Terronium-12) on March 26th, 2017 in the Forza category.

I have owned every Forza Horizon made and love everything you've done to imp=
rove them. I have a couple of ideas about Forza Horizon 4.

I like the way cars have multiple body applications (body kits) but would li=
ke to have more customization options like Midnight Club so the cars can be m=
ore personalized. I also think it would be nice if you could buy houses with=
the intent of having to buy bigger houses for a bigger garage as you get mo=
re vehicles, and when you drive around the map you can park your car anywher=
e and get out. This would make the game mor realistic because you could take=
multiple cars out and park them around your house. If you made the houses y=
ou would be able to park your car in the garage without it auto correcting t=
o a fixed position.

If the feature was made and you could get out of cars you could Create deale=
rships on the map that you had to go into to buy cars and if 4 stuck with th=
e ideas of going to a new location when you buy cars they would have to be i=
mported on a ship and unloaded at a dock on the map being that the games are=
always next to the ocean or have some waterway. For a little extra money y=
ou could have vehicles flow in with a sped up delivery time. Instead of just=
being able to buy cars and trucks we should be able to have motorcycles, bo=
ats, and semis since people who like cars and trucks typically like all thin=
gs with motors.=20

To continue with the realistic feel, we should be able to get trailers from a=
motorcycle one to a semi one which we could buy and use to transport multip=
le cars to and from places. Such places could be car shows where you could s=
ell or show off your car or the dealer to pick up your new custom beauty. Th=
e trailers could also help in the barn finds when they are found. We would h=
ave to winch out the car onto the trailer and transport to one of 3 or more b=
ody shops around the map. Some shops for the new atvs that have been added a=
nd others for boats, trucks, cars since places that upgrade vehicles special=
ize in these categories.=20

With the ever expanding market of small name vehicles and the large upgrade m=
arket (sema) I'm sure it's hard to keep up with designing them but if you co=
uld get more brands and all the cars being made or have been made all the wa=
y back to the early 1900s anyone who is looking for a game who has dreamed o=
f owning a car, bike, truck, semi, boat, etc would have to get the game so t=
hey could "fulfill their dream". When adding new upgrades it could be as eas=
y as having a chevy Silverado and being able to get it in 1500, 2500, 3500, d=
ually, ZL1, 6 door ,step sides fender flares at the dealer like the vehicles=
in farm simulator 17 and then after market racks, lighting, hoods, lifts, e=
tc.

I know the main point of the game is racing but if you could get all the car=
s back to the early 1900s it would expand the possibilities for cars to crui=
se around in, special trucks to go off roading or mountain climbing or muddi=
ng, and boat racing/ sailing/yachting. I have a lot more ideas and would lik=
e to know your opinion on these.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Forza doesn't get their physics sorted out fast, I'm afraid they'll be left in the dust.
images

I would rather be having this conversation about a load of great racing games coming out this year, than you saying that there doesn’t seem to be any.

Who told Hartman that there doesn't seem to be any great racing games? :odd:

Count me in on the general consensus that racing games are in some kind of a golden age right now. So many strong titles to choose between.

Who told Hartman that there doesn't seem to be any great racing games? :odd:
Nobody did but it doesn't really affect what he said. He'd rather have a healthy driving game market than to be working on one of only two or three competing franchises.

From the general thread where this article was first posted:

So rather than thinking about it as a competitive set, we really started to think about where we wanted this to be in four or five years, and what steps do we take creatively to come up with new features like Rewind, Green Line, ForzaVista, Forzathon, Blueprint... there's great technology coming in both games.

What is/was "Green Line"? I doubt it's the Racing Line Assist as that has been in the series since around Forza Motorsport 2 (Rewind was introduced in Forza Motorsport 3).

Perhaps it's the GPS feature used in Forza Horizon games as that automatically calculates the shortest road route between your current location and wherever you put the waypoint marker on a map.

Hartman adds: "We are always releasing - whether it is a car pack, or a Forza Racing Championship event, or a Forzathon event, or an expansion. We - both teams - are actively engaged with working with the community and releasing all the time.

Content-wise, can't deny that. #Forzathon is Forza Horizon 3's best long-term feature and (combined with the Auction House) a great way to solve the "Unicorn" problem from previous games.

Would be nice to have some more two-way communication however. Over the past year or two it feels like Turn 10 only comment on their forums when they have something to say/promote, and not often when they want to listen.

It maybe tough occasionally for small titles to get attention, but as part of being first party and part of the Xbox platform, I welcome them in. I want them. I love the Assetto Corsa team, I love what they're doing and the perspective they are bringing in and I'm excited for what they do next.

Hopefully this means that 1 or 2 things that Assetto Corsa does well may once day find their way into a Forza Motorsport title. Lately it feels like Motorsport has also been "dumbed down" to hit the mass-market. Horizon's got that area cornered, so I hope that Motorsport can get back to focusing on competitive play, with features to match.

Personal opinion: A game with Forza Motorsport's car/track roster and community tools + GT Sport's multiplayer environment would be the "perfect racing game" for me. Forza Motorsport 4 came very close, but that was 6 years ago...

Last edited:
Open world (plus real world tracks), full customisation and physics that feel right.

The 3 most requested wants

Yet no one has nailed it.....yet

What is/was "Green Line"? I doubt it's the Racing Line Assist as that has been in the series since around Forza Motorsport 2 (Rewind was introduced in Forza Motorsport 3).

Were they the ones that started doing a racing line that changed colour depending on what you were supposed to be doing?

Would be nice to have some more two-way communication however. Over the past year or two it feels like Turn 10 only comment on their forums when they have something to say/promote, and not often when they want to listen.

It's hard to say that they're not listening. You say you want them to comment, but that's not listening, that's talking. For all you know they're listening lots and then using parts of that to inform what they work on next.

It sounds more like you want specific replies to certain questions, and while that valid I think T10 do all right in that area. They're not as good as the indies who tend to prioritise personal communication, but they're not too bad for a triple A. Middle of the road.

Hopefully this means that 1 or 2 things that Assetto Corsa does well may once day find their way into a Forza Motorsport title. Lately it feels like Motorsport has also been "dumbed down" to hit the mass-market. Horizon's got that area cornered, so I hope that Motorsport can get back to focusing on competitive play, with features to match.

I dunno. I think more than anyone T10 recognises that the idea of having one game to rule them all is a recipe for disaster. I suspect FM will always be a Gran Turismo clone with big rosters and lots of tuning. Perhaps there will be another title for the "hardcore" AC/pCARS/iRacing/GTS type experience. Forza Competitzione or something.

I don't think FM was ever really focused on online, any more than any other games of the era were. It was and still largely is a single player game with a decent online attached.

Personal opinion: A game with Forza Motorsport's car/track roster and community tools + GT Sport's multiplayer environment would be the "perfect racing game" for me. Forza Motorsport 4 came very close, but that was 6 years ago...

Which game was dumbed down? Forza6>5> 4> 3 it's been very linear progression in the physics department.
Unless you possibly know something I don't?

Which game was dumbed down? Forza6>5> 4> 3 it's been very linear progression in the physics department.
Unless you possibly know something I don't?
I am not talking about physics, they're better than ever.

I am more looking at the overall game philosophy, with inclusions such as Mod Cards in Single Player, Rewind, the lack of penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, the lack of user-created Public Lobbies, the increased difficulty with Kick Voting abusive players online etc..

The combination of all this has created an environment where players aren't encouraged to learn the skills required to race cleanly online, which in turn makes those places a warzone unless you are playing privately. I'm all for inclusiveness and seeing people enjoy a game regardless of their skill level, but in recent titles it feels like anyone above beginner level is going to have a hard time enjoying Public Multiplayer lobbies as the tools for maintaining clean racing are no longer prevalent.

I guess at this point GT Sport has what I'm looking for in that aspect, but it doesn't have the same base game system (physics, controller support, community tools) that I enjoy in Forza titles. It's probably too much to ask for a Forza game with GT Sport-style Multiplayer, as they seem to be aiming for different markets now.

Were they the ones that started doing a racing line that changed colour depending on what you were supposed to be doing?

I'm not sure. I remember seeing dynamic racing liens in Gran Turismo 4.

I am more looking at the overall game philosophy, with inclusions such as Mod Cards in Single Player, Rewind, the lack of penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, the lack of user-created Public Lobbies, the increased difficulty with Kick Voting abusive players online etc..

The last three are indeed things that need to be addressed, especially with the likely increased focus on eSports in FM7. Sticky grass was a bandaid solution to track-cutters, and the tire walls are similar in FM6.

One thing that needs to be dealt with yesterday as far as I'm concerned is lapped traffic in the public hoppers. These are ~10 minute races: there's no reason someone should be getting lapped in that time. If someone is nearly a lap down on the leader, they should be permanently ghosted IMO. Griefers have figured out how to game the system and un-ghost at the most inopportune times, and while there's the Report system, it's far from a guarantee, and doesn't fix the problem at the time.

Does ghosting lapped traffic remove the need for good racecraft? A bit, but again, these are short enough races that I believe the positives outweigh the negatives.

Completely agree about user-created public lobbies and an easier (visible) kick feature returning.

I'm fine with Mod Cards, since they "game-ify" the title. It's entirely optional, and can bring in more players. If it gets made mandatory, yeah, I'll have an issue with it (and it should never, ever be allowed online IMO).

I still maintain Rewind should be in more games. It's another optional thing, but it can help someone learn the lines of a particular track section in a different, possibly more efficient way. If I'm struggling with a few corners of the 'Ring, but am satisfied with the rest, who's to say I shouldn't be able to use Rewind to run it relentlessly until I learn?

Some folks will make the argument it's better to learn the whole track instead of focusing on one part. I get the logic, but not everybody has the time to dedicate to something like that. More options are better.

The combination of all this has created an environment where players aren't encouraged to learn the skills required to race cleanly online, which in turn makes those places a warzone unless you are playing privately. I'm all for inclusiveness and seeing people enjoy a game regardless of their skill level, but in recent titles it feels like anyone above beginner level is going to have a hard time enjoying Public Multiplayer lobbies as the tools for maintaining clean racing are no longer prevalent.

Yeah, a separate sportsmanship points system would do wonders, whether it was visible by players (preferable) or not. Leagues need a rethink too: there should be a way to move down a rank instead of only up.

I guess at this point GT Sport has what I'm looking for in that aspect, but it doesn't have the same base game system (physics, controller support, community tools) that I enjoy in Forza titles. It's probably too much to ask for a Forza game with GT Sport-style Multiplayer, as they seem to be aiming for different markets now.

I dunno, all the updates to FM6 for Forza RC make me think a lot of what we're seeing in GT Sport (and PCARS2) will come to FM7. I hope so, anyway: as much time as I've put into FM6, there needs to be a shake-up to its basic premise. It feels like the current-gen FM title we all wanted 5 to be, but it's missing some of the fun and atmosphere of previous games IMO.

So long as it doesn't launch a buggy mess like the first one, I really believe PCARS2 is the title that could upset the establishment that is GT and FM. GT is far too narrowly-focused (recent cars only, tiny car list, seemingly no offline content outside of license tests) and FM is missing a lot of actual motorsport influence (flags, rules, points systems instead of always-podium, etc).

Where are we at with Forza being available to play on Window 10?

Forza Horizon 3 is available now.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (a free, condensed version of the console title) is also available right now.

No word on future titles as of yet, but one would expect future Forza titles to be available on both Windows 10 and Xbox One.

Forza Horizon 3 is available now.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (a free, condensed version of the console title) is also available right now.

No word on future titles as of yet, but one would expect future Forza titles to be available on both Windows 10 and Xbox One.
hopefully 7 will be better optimized than horizon 3.

I'm not sure. I remember seeing dynamic racing liens in Gran Turismo 4.

Yeah I'd have to agree the kick voting system is worse. It needs to be revamped to be more effective at kicking troll players

For now I think you'll have to look forward to Project CARS 2 which will have better online regulation than forza has right now. It's rivaling GT Sport's esports system. It also will be having full season cycles on top of time and other cool stuff. I don't think there's too much room for that game to screw up now.

Latest Posts

Back