The Future of Assetto Corsa: Exclusive Developer Interview with Marco Massarutto

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 49 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

The Future of Assetto Corsa: Exclusive Developer Interview with Marco Massarutto

With the long-awaited Gen 9 update to Assetto Corsa Competizione launching digitally today, GTPlanet has had the opportunity to once again sit down with Kunos Simulazioni’s co-founder Marco Massarutto for an exclusive chat about the new title and everything coming up over the months ahead...

It sounds like the content that was teased last year will be in separate DLCs, and I'm happy for that. Those 4 cars and COTA wouldn't have been a great DLC.

If we're getting the GTWC America tracks that would be huge.

Good interview. I hate that there will be no crossplay. I feel like they could at least have crossplay between XBX & PS5 since they will be on the same version. Looking forward to the update tomorrow

I’d love it if AC2 was able to finally release PC along side Next Gen at the same time. These sims are so much fun that me on my PS5 hates to have to wait another two years or so after the PC release. Lol. Sure would be amazing if the console version could some how get mods. Very unlikely. Also it would be amazing if my fav car F1 F2004 could make a return with newer technology behind it.

Last edited:
Did they ever improve the game pad controls. I played ACC at launch on PS4 but it was basically unplayable with a game pad.
It’s not. It’s great - just takes a while to get used to.

I thought the same and it took me a while to adjust coming from GTS, but now I think the controls are best in class.

It’s not. It’s great - just takes a while to get used to.

I thought the same and it took me a while to adjust coming from GTS, but now I think the controls are best in class.
Which console do you play on and what are your control settings? :)

In fact Massarutto points out that “Kunos Simulazioni is not a gaming studio, it’s much more a technology provider, and ‘accidentally’ we also make racing games”

This reminds me of a typical Italian (lamborghini, alfa romeo) mentality which is they do things their way regardless of what others do or what is considered normal.

That explains the sheer brilliance of the game as well as some of some of the frustrations with the game.

In no way am I saying the typical Italian mentality is a bad thing by the way :)

Which console do you play on and what are your control settings? :)
PS5

05A831D5-7160-4BA1-AE96-0AEEA41FECE1.jpeg

I hope using their own engine for AC2 means modding is back. I didn't get to watch the whole video, but Jordan didn't ask this specifically did he?

I hope using their own engine for AC2 means modding is back. I didn't get to watch the whole video, but Jordan didn't ask this specifically did he?
They are well aware of the modding community and the impact it had on the success of their franchise. I’d be surprised if part of the reason why they are going back to their engine wasn’t opening up the game to modders again.

Last edited:
Pity its took so long to come out on PS5, completely obsolete in a matter of days. Would be good if this team got bought up and subsequently was given more resources to work with for the sequel... defo needs more content!

“We know very well that we can’t make anything worse than AC modded to the heavens!”

And that's the important bit. AC has already reached AC2 level, with a plethora of cars and tracks at player's disposal. Additions such as SOL [and its successor, Pure] and the almighty Content Manager, means AC2's biggest competitor will be AC1 + mods. Unless the follow-up title can go toe-to-toe with what AC1 can do with mods, it will [unfortunately] disappoint many players. And given how AC1 mods are constantly being developed, it looks like the Kunos team are also battling time to make sure they can keep up.

Very interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.

Did they ever improve the game pad controls. I played ACC at launch on PS4 but it was basically unplayable with a game pad.
I just did a couple of laps in the Porsche Cayman GT4 around Laguna Seca, and it was fine. (in the cockpit view)
The menus on the other hand...:yuck:
(I'm on the series X though and remember PC2 was unplayable on the One S for me, but it's great on the SX.)

In fact Massarutto points out that “Kunos Simulazioni is not a gaming studio, it’s much more a technology provider, and ‘accidentally’ we also make racing games”

This reminds me of a typical Italian (lamborghini, alfa romeo) mentality which is they do things their way regardless of what others do or what is considered normal.

That explains the sheer brilliance of the game as well as some of some of the frustrations with the game.

In no way am I saying the typical Italian mentality is a bad thing by the way :)
If you told them 10 years ago they'd have a game that was well known and was on PS4, xxboxone and the following gen they would have called you crazy.
Thanks! I play on Xbox Series X .. I will see if my control settings are a bit of the same with yours. :)
Steering assist is a must pretty much.
“We know very well that we can’t make anything worse than AC modded to the heavens!”

And that's the important bit. AC has already reached AC2 level, with a plethora of cars and tracks at player's disposal. Additions such as SOL [and its successor, Pure] and the almighty Content Manager, means AC2's biggest competitor will be AC1 + mods. Unless the follow-up title can go toe-to-toe with what AC1 can do with mods, it will [unfortunately] disappoint many players. And given how AC1 mods are constantly being developed, it looks like the Kunos team are also battling time to make sure they can keep up.

Very interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.
I dont see how they can match modded AC with all the content. Graphics as well as improved physics are surely going to have to be the usp, and sound of course. What's interesting was Marco's comments on career mode. They need to find a way to allow mods on console too, at least for tracks.

Thanks to @Jordan for this great interview and asked to Marco on off the most asked questions, the crossplay.

Really didn't find fair his answer in personal opinion, cause wreckfest is also made by a very small studio Wich did the port to consoles, next gen consoles and with crossplay between old and new gen ..they are also able to launch updates on PC and only a couple of weeks after on console, with even specific bug fixing for each platform.
Amazing.

About betas, on console they are betas of games, closed and open (see gt sport ) so for me it's a bit of a bad excuse of Marco, support wasn't working great either on ACC consoles version, you have a bug submit form, the AC 505games support discord , and lot of plausible petitions and bug fixes demanded didn't come , not even an explanation.

With ACC next gen version Marco seemed on kinda defensive side and switched over to AC2 as soon he could.

I celebrate that they will do again a proper engine for AC2 instead of UE5 engine.
Hopefully it will be mod friendly , and hopefully themselves port it and support it on consoles as with original AC

Thanks to @Jordan for this great interview and asked to Marco on off the most asked questions, the crossplay.

Really didn't find fair his answer in personal opinion, cause wreckfest is also made by a very small studio Wich did the port to consoles, next gen consoles and with crossplay between old and new gen ..they are also able to launch updates on PC and only a couple of weeks after on console, with even specific bug fixing for each platform.
Amazing.

About betas, on console they are betas of games, closed and open (see gt sport ) so for me it's a bit of a bad excuse of Marco, support wasn't working great either on ACC consoles version, you have a bug submit form, the AC 505games support discord , and lot of plausible petitions and bug fixes demanded didn't come , not even an explanation.

With ACC next gen version Marco seemed on kinda defensive side and switched over to AC2 as soon he could.

I celebrate that they will do again a proper engine for AC2 instead of UE5 engine.
Hopefully it will be mod friendly , and hopefully themselves port it and support it on consoles as with original AC
I agree about the crossplay thing. Car X Technologies is also a small studio and they have crossplay between the consoles and PCs. They updtae on the PCs first then a couple weeks later it goes to consoles.

Latest Posts

Back