The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,741 comments
Um, no. Tyndall is an F-22 base; this was an F-22, one of several that passed overhead that morning. Two exhaust nozzles, not one, with more widely separated elevators than the F-35's, which surround a single round exhaust. The 22 is also significantly larger. They are not hard to tell from each other.

Um, no. Tyndall is an F-22 base; this was an F-22, one of several that passed overhead that morning. Two exhaust nozzles, not one, with more widely separated elevators than the F-35's, which surround a single round exhaust. The 22 is also significantly larger. They are not hard to tell from each other.

I was going to say it looked a little different from the F-22.

Plot twist; it's a T-50.

;)

The new name for the T-50 is "Su-57."

January of last year I posted this post, describing something I saw on the "back lot" of the museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

I was at the museum yesterday and took the bus tour of the back lot, and the aircraft was described as the wreckage of a Helldiver, and there is a sign in front of it labeling it as an SB2C, but no mention was made of the floats, nor does the sign actually say SB2C-2, which was the floatplane version. it's also not listed in the "Browse Aircraft" page of the museum's website.

The picture in prior post was taken in September of 2015, so this thing's been stacked up back there at least two years. They need to get a move on if I'm going to see it built in my lifetime!!!

36016785884_2511611894_o.jpg

Are there more images of the Sukhoi Su-27 in this color scheme? I found the image on Wikipedia and I haven't found any similar paint schemes yet.

image.jpg

Yeah, that's a badly faded photo. I downloaded it and played with it in Photoshop. I couldn't get anything "real" with it, but just by adding saturation, the blue in the pattern came out.

Yeah, that's a badly faded photo. I downloaded it and played with it in Photoshop. I couldn't get anything "real" with it, but just by adding saturation, the blue in the pattern came out.

Ah that's a shame. I like the way it looks. Just like red Ferraris are a dime a dozen, the same thing can be said about blue Su-27s. :sly:

Last edited:
Cool image of stacked planes over Heathrow, Daily Mail was trying to sensationalise it as a near miss!

445475D300000578-4893526-image-a-11_1505683713539.jpg

Sometimes I wish that news organizations are required to have at least one person with a basic knowledge of how commercial aviation works to stop these idiotic stories.

Dan
Sometimes I wish that news organizations are required to have at least one person with a basic knowledge of how commercial aviation works to stop these idiotic stories.

Why stop with aviation, there is a slew of things I wish media has a person of knowledge with before running stories. Though I would say that Daily Mail purposely does this type of sensationalism on purpose, just to get views and readers. They are almost tabloid like in print so, I would hardly call them even the base level of media

Last week while in Orlando to visit my lovely Princess at her castle, I went by the Warbird Adventures air museum in Kissimmee. The "museum" is actually an open hangar where items that could become museum exhibits are stored, and it costs 11 bucks to go in and see. OK, it's not that bad, but is is an open-sided hangar so it's not air conditioned, and at least half of the pieces are still packed for shipping. You can also take a ride in a T-6 Texan, and even get some stick time, if your level of disposable income is high enough. Myself, I couldn't part with nearly 300 bucks for a quarter of an hour. They have longer flights, and the longer ones offer aerobatics, as well.

Anyway, some of the exhibits...

They have one of the six Aerocars built. It's the 4th and last of the original Aerocars, and the only one still in flying condition. There were also one Aerocar II and one Aerocar II built, so this right here is one quarter of the world's supply of originals, and 1/6 of the complete set!
36935175693_cab1134861_b.jpg

The wings and tail in the trailered configuration for the road.
37556816166_0014b23c71_b.jpg\

And a picture of it assembled and flying
36935175103_b9f052c020_b.jpg

Arrow Sport, and American biplane from 1929. if you look at the Wikipedia page for the Arrow Sport, this very aircraft is featured in one of the photos
37556815666_2d5ffb6022_b.jpg

Most of a T-6 Texan. They actually have several, with at least three that are flyable.
36935173983_ca66e42e17_b.jpg

A Cassutt, for the Reno air races Formula One class
36935172123_b07d4affb1_b.jpg

This picture on the sign shows how tiny it actually is!
36935171493_91b67e0feb_b.jpg

A MIG-17. Sort of.
23752905558_7acd149f76_b.jpg

And its engine, with afterburner
37605716301_62d896ee0c_c.jpg

The museum actually has two of these, this one outside, and another in not quite as good condition indoors. A polish jet trainer from the 60s, the TS-11 "Iskra." It competed for the Warsaw Pact jet trainer contract and lost to the Czech Aero L-29.
23752899658_a9cda1012d_b.jpg

Rolls-Royce Griffon engine. Based on the Merlin, with almost half again the displacement, better supercharging, and twin counter-rotating props, a version of this putting out 3200 HP was used in a Reno unlimited-class P-51 called "Precious Metal." That airplane had limited success at the races, and while flying to the 2015 event caught fire and burned while taxiing to the runway after refueling. They had said it was done for, but last year announced that they were going to rebuild it. I bought a Precious Metal souvenir to support the effort... a thong panty for my girlfriend.... :D When it flies again, I can say that I helped!!!!
37556812026_0a9be5ecda_b.jpg

OK, their Stearman is not exactly a busted-ass piece of debris out behind a shed; this is a nice-looking airplane!
23752899558_67045912ec_b.jpg

Last edited:
A Cassutt, for the Reno air races Formula One class
36935172123_b07d4affb1_b.jpg

I might be wrong since details are so sparse, but I'm pretty sure that one is a Reberry 3M1C1R named "Hot Stuff". It was involved in a serious accident last year.

The video might be a little graphic, but both pilots walked away with minor injuries. There's more details in the video's description.

That's the guy, same name on the airplane, but I don't know if this is that airplane. Nothing like that was mentioned in the material around it. Sure looks like it, looking up Hot Stuff on the Interwebs, though! I got Cassutt from the signage around the airplane describing his racing career, but I could tell this plane looked different from the one in the pics.

Last edited:
Curiously last night, I looked up glider planes. As someone who uses Wings3D for 3D modeling, some people model for a flight simulation game called "Condor: The Competition Soaring Simulator." One video I looked up had a description about "motorless flying" in regards to glider planes. I am still vastly inexperienced with aircraft, but it is interesting for people to enjoy flying without having a motor to propel you into the skies and such.

Curiously last night, I looked up glider planes. As someone who uses Wings3D for 3D modeling, some people model for a flight simulation game called "Condor: The Competition Soaring Simulator." One video I looked up had a description about "motorless flying" in regards to glider planes. I am still vastly inexperienced with aircraft, but it is interesting for people to enjoy flying without having a motor to propel you into the skies and such.

From what I've read, gliders are a great alternative for those who cannot afford a light aircraft such as a Piper PA-28 or Cessna 152. The only issue with gliders is that most of them either require a towplane, or a cable launch system. I would love to own and regularly fly a glider from the nearest private airport whenever I wanted, but without having to rely on someone else to take flight. There are self-launching gliders, but they can be expensive, often surpassing regular planes such as the ones I mentioned above. As far as I know, the only glider-approved airports (with clubs) in New Jersey are WAY up north, which is inconvenient for me.

I got to see a plane I never thought I would see in a place I never expected to see it.

The Arizona Cardinals chartered a Virgin Atlantic Airbus A340 to London for their game this weekend. I was giddy getting to watch it taxi around the runway.

I heard the Boeing 747 has taken its final flight. I saw on local news about a flight on a 747 which went from San Francisco to Honolulu. I had no idea this plane has been in existence since 1970. I remembered playing "Aerobiz Supersonic" with the 747 being one of the planes you can use in one of the different scenarios. Sad to see you go, Boeing 747.

By the way and off-topic... ABSOLUTELY recommend you play "Aerobiz Supersonic." It is one of those make-you-think games along with being one of the best simulation games besides the SimCity series.

I heard the Boeing 747 has taken its final flight. I saw on local news about a flight on a 747 which went from San Francisco to Honolulu. I had no idea this plane has been in existence since 1970. I remembered playing "Aerobiz Supersonic" with the 747 being one of the planes you can use in one of the different scenarios. Sad to see you go, Boeing 747.
You had me worried there. I live in Seattle and I know new 747s are still being made. This was the last United 747. Delta still flies them (although they will retire theirs next year), and British Airways, Korean Air and a few others still fly them. Plus there are a lot of cargo versions flying out there. There's also one more Air Force 1 based on the 747 that's scheduled for delivery in 2024.

You had me worried there. I live in Seattle and I know new 747s are still being made. This was the last United 747. Delta still flies them (although they will retire theirs next year), and British Airways, Korean Air and a few others still fly them. Plus there are a lot of cargo versions flying out there. There's also one more Air Force 1 based on the 747 that's scheduled for delivery in 2024.
I gather the model aircraft will shoot up in value now. May be a good idea for me to cash in... Then again, I don't think I want to sell my QANTAS 747.
It's not exactly the death of an icon because the 747-8 exists, right?

My annual trek to Pensacola for the Blue Angels Homecoming weekend just happened. Some samples:

26603427419_369431037f_o.jpg

2. A nice sun glint
37664913804_94d3f12b49_o.jpg

3. A P-51 in the static display area. Unfortunately there were no WWII-era aircraft flying in the show this year! :indiff:
37664915124_e368d035ce_o.jpg

4. I TOUCHED IT!!!! :D:D
26603405299_8362bacbce_o.jpg

5. Wingwalking at night!!
26603404849_2b65fb1716_o.jpg

6. Jet truck at night!!!!
26603404529_9ca48087a8_o.jpg

7. MIG-17 in a minimum radius afterburner turn. They said that it wasn't until the F-16 that the US had a fighter that could out-turn the MIG-17!
26603415619_91cdb971bc_o.jpg

7. Most of these folks have no idea!!
38324042656_e1c5108ddc_o.jpg

8. I got a lot of good solo crosses
38324034926_118eb84303_o.jpg

9. I was shooting at 1/160 to get good prop blur, and this Extra 540's roll rate is fast enough to show motion blur at the wingtips!
24508738698_6b4e1f71f2_o.jpg

You can see the Flickr album here. That will save me from linking 163 pictures to the forum.... :lol:

Back