The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,741 comments
It struck me as funny that both of your pictures got the rotors at 90 degrees to the fuselage, as if they were regular fixed wings.

Something I like to do is look for articles about local things in Wikipedia that don't have pictures, and then go out and photograph them and post them up. Yesterday I noticed there were no photos for two relatively local airports; Bandera State Airport and Harvey Airfield. Bandera is an airstrip with no buildings, pavement or facilities just a few miles shy of the Snoqualmie Pass. Even though it's right next to the I-90 freeway, I've never seen it before. Didn't even know it was there. So I drove up there yesterday to have a look.

There's a gate so you can't drive up to it, but it's only a five minute walk. Apparently it's an emergency field and also used by the US Forest Service during high forest fire threat times.

Then I drove down to the town of Snohomish to photograph Harvey Airfield. I was lucky enough to see this biplane take off, do a couple fly-bys and then land.

Anybody know what kind of biplane that is?

Found this elsewhere on the internet, thought it was quite interesting. I really couldn't find the plane to begin with!

plcaxnuu1sl51.jpg

I saw that fairly quickly, but dismissed it as ground features that just lined up right, like that face-in-a-rock on Mars. I still can't make out an actual airplane, just parts of what look like one.

Last edited:
An intriguing announcement from Airbus: https://simpleflying.com/airbus-zero-emission-concept-aircraft/

I see this as being far more probable than any electric concepts being thrown about. Even being given another 15 years of development, I doubt batteries will have the energy density to be considered viable for long-haul aviation, especially since Airbus claims the liquid hydrogen will be stored in the tail of the aircraft, and (presumably) nowhere else.

The An-225 is awesome - one I would love to see.

Here's a few recent ones of mine post-lockdown:

49961064226_394cb601e6_h.jpg

49971447151_985373c674_h.jpg

Question for anyone who knows. What is up with the missile on the inner pylon on the right wing? The outer pylons have the typical Aim-120's, and the inner pylon under the left wing has what I presume is an Aim-9X, but the pointed tip on the inner right leaves me wondering. Anyone knows?

Question for anyone who knows. What is up with the missile on the inner pylon on the right wing? The outer pylons have the typical Aim-120's, and the inner pylon under the left wing has what I presume is an Aim-9X, but the pointed tip on the inner right leaves me wondering. Anyone knows?
It is a TACTS pod, which is used for training purposes. Basically it monitors training so the information can be analyzed once the aircraft is on the ground

It is a TACTS pod, which is used for training purposes. Basically it monitors training so the information can be analyzed once the aircraft is on the ground

Thanks for the info. Interesting design choice given its very close resemblance to a Sidewinder. Also curious that 4th plus generation fighters can't rely on their onboard sensors for later analysis of flight/combat data.

If you're in the western Florida / southern Alabama coastal area, or around Pensacola Bay, the Blue Angels are making the final official flight in the legacy F/A-18s this afternoon. They start training in the Super Hornets on the 16th, and go to El Centro in California in January for their winter training.

50566470326_a33db5c8e3_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard a similar noise from a Spanish F-18 Hornet too, during a fast pass whilst displaying at RIAT 2009.

Clip of it here, at around 4m 58s...

Last edited:
Back