The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
I know this has been asked hundreds of times in this thread but any recommendations for more obscure animes to watch? I find myself more into the darker stuff like Death Note (my favorite so far) than the cutesy high school life stuff.

tumblr_n23gskjGbr1qbvovho1_500.gif

or

tumblr_o5sm9iXHTU1ta7pubo1_500.gif

Names, please?

Only because you said please ;)

Kara no Kyoukai is the first one and Re:Zero is the second one.

The former is 7 movies, one epilogue, one epilogue epilogue (it's not a typo) and a side story featuring a cat and the latter is currently airing.

Oh yeah, I'm watching it, but considering how the latest episodes went I would've expected more discussion about them.

Why don't you lead a discussion then? Step up, son. Some of us aren't even watching the show. Give us a reason. MOTIVATE US!

Oh yeah, I'm watching it, but considering how the latest episodes went I would've expected more discussion about them.

The latest episodes sparked quite a controversy. Probably to the amount that makes the show worthwhile to watch as it's airing.

PfvTArf.jpg

Maybe I should just add plot spoilers instead :lol:

Hey is that from the
he gets beaten to death by Rem? I read that the manga version is quite uhhh... explicit.

Why don't you lead a discussion then? Step up, son. Some of us aren't even watching the show. Give us a reason. MOTIVATE US!

Good idea! It'll have to be all spoilers though. :ouch:

The latest episodes sparked quite a controversy. Probably to the amount that makes the show worthwhile to watch as it's airing.

For sure! It gave a lot of insight into Subaru's personality, even if people didn't like it. We finally saw how dying multiple times (some caused by people you trusted) and having nobody remember any previous interactions break a man. Subaru isn't your typical white knight like most MCs.

One phrase that really struck me was when Emilia said to Subaru 'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing'.
She doesn't know how long she's been with him, she doesn't know she helped him expecting nothing in return, she doesn't know she told her she was Satella (even it it wasn't true) and a half-elf only for him to have no reaction to it, when she expected him to act in disgust. That's why he thinks so highly of Emilia, even though nothing of it ended up happening in the final timeline.

I don't get why there's dislike for Emilia now, she had Subaru promise her he would stay in the castle and he broke that. He also showed up with that one girl she had distrust for and made the election forum a very embarrasing situation for her. She's been always nice to him, even that scene where he basically 🤬 everything up.

Get creative and avoid the spoilers, kono shounen! If you can call Mugi your waifu, you can entice me to watch Re:Zero without revealing surprises.

*rock the boat*

For sure! It gave a lot of insight into Subaru's personality, even if people didn't like it. We finally saw how dying multiple times (some caused by people you trusted) and having nobody remember any previous interactions break a man. Subaru isn't your typical white knight like most MCs.

One phrase that really struck me was when Emilia said to Subaru 'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing'.
She doesn't know how long she's been with him, she doesn't know she helped him expecting nothing in return, she doesn't know she told her she was Satella (even it it wasn't true) and a half-elf only for him to have no reaction to it, when she expected him to act in disgust. That's why he thinks so highly of Emilia, even though nothing of it ended up happening in the final timeline.

I don't get why there's dislike for Emilia now, she had Subaru promise her he would stay in the castle and he broke that. He also showed up with that one girl she had distrust for and made the election forum a very embarrasing situation for her. She's been always nice to him, even that scene where he basically 🤬 everything up.

Subaru is getting quite egotistical and self-righteous. Of course he merely wants to be understood, and yet so far no one has understood him. At least, at the caliber he imagines in his head. So he doesn't have much choice but to be ignorant. I almost feel bad for Rem...

Subaru is basically feeding his ego because of that. Though that prematurely manifested when he insulted the order of knights. All in all it is a massive wake-up call for Subaru. The line you mentioned which Emilia said probably nailed the coffin quite clearly, and summed up this entire turn of character of Subaru.

Subaru is becoming too confident. Again, a little self-righteous. To think he can make things go his way all the time... nope, that's not going to fly anytime soon. Yes, the events of the last arc was a pretty grand accomplishment on Subaru's part, but he is really stretching it now.

Madoka Magica, cutesyness flipped onto its head.

I have to say, I did enjoy the series.

I also saw the 3rd movie and wow that last segment caught me off guard. I did not see that coming.

Kyubey is like a Craigslist Salesman.

Dunno what I'll watch next, probably movies. Maybe Little Witch Academia.

Subaru is getting quite egotistical and self-righteous. Of course he merely wants to be understood, and yet so far no one has understood him. At least, at the caliber he imagines in his head. So he doesn't have much choice but to be ignorant. I almost feel bad for Rem...

Subaru is basically feeding his ego because of that. Though that prematurely manifested when he insulted the order of knights. All in all it is a massive wake-up call for Subaru. The line you mentioned which Emilia said probably nailed the coffin quite clearly, and summed up this entire turn of character of Subaru.

Subaru is becoming too confident. Again, a little self-righteous. To think he can make things go his way all the time... nope, that's not going to fly anytime soon. Yes, the events of the last arc was a pretty grand accomplishment on Subaru's part, but he is really stretching it now.

I don't see subaru like that at all. I see him as misunderstood, yes, but I see him as trying his best with what's he's given. Obviously he can't tell Emilia why he wants to be close to her (aside from his feels for him and her seemingly having somewhat of feels for him) as the second he does, the the curse reminds him that he can't or he resets. It doesn't help but think that all his deaths have scarred him mentally in some way..especially since it's safe to say he remembers how it felt and all but has to put on a straight face in front of everyone sans those who notice something's off (plus the "scent" of the cursed witch getting stronger every time he dies)

I don't see subaru like that at all. I see him as misunderstood, yes, but I see him as trying his best with what's he's given. Obviously he can't tell Emilia why he wants to be close to her (aside from his feels for him and her seemingly having somewhat of feels for him) as the second he does, the the curse reminds him that he can't or he resets. It doesn't help but think that all his deaths have scarred him mentally in some way..especially since it's safe to say he remembers how it felt and all but has to put on a straight face in front of everyone sans those who notice something's off (plus the "scent" of the cursed witch getting stronger every time he dies)

Yeah, the curse does prevent him from making his life (or lives) any easier. And much respect that he's trying his best. But that doesn't give him much entitlement to what happened in the grand palace, nor allows him to act as if everyone depends on him. The fact he actually did what he did at the grand palace is pretty outrageous, even for the kind of MC Subaru is. And even while he was healing his gate, spending time to think, he still hasn't found a proper solution. Instead he followed a solution that is suited for him alone, not anyone else...

Honestly, I don't know what to conclude of Subaru's character. After all, I'm just speculating based on the anime. But it's quite interesting to have an MC that isn't a white knight.

So I went and watched Love Live Sunshine's first episode like I said I would.

It was as I expected it to be really...put simply, it was not very good, and I did not enjoy it.

I'll deal with the characters first, that's where it's at for me with Love Live so they're what I'm looking at most closely here.

Obviously, this being a blatant attempt to copy mu's, Chika is everywhere here, and it confirms just what I thought of her - she's probably on some cocktail of drugs.* For the first half of the episode she actually seemed fairly normal, but somewhere after the point where Kanan and Mari were first introduced, she just started having a crazy amount of emotional swings for no reason at all. So that's a bad problem with her. But actually, she's not all bad: she sounds alright, both when singing and when not, and I have to give her credit for actually trying to beef with Dia. However, the way she's drawn changes just as much as her emotions, giving her an incredible ability to go from looking really rather good to really rather horrific. Still, at the end of the day, she is more likeable than Honoka.** Although that's not exactly an achievement.

Rika I didn't like because she just seems too blank with her personality. And no way can she decide, or even manage, to transfer in the space of one day, not even from that other, little-known school called 'Otonokizaka High'. Also Chika is not in love with her in any way, shape or form. Not at all. Nope. Plus, her singing voice is not good enough either.

You is a welcome character because I actually like her, mostly because she just stays out of the way of all the silliness. Like Chika, she sounds alright when speaking or singing. She's the middle ground of the lot and there's really nothing wrong with that.

Now for the third years. Dia is the most prominent and she is as evil as she looks. Still, you can tell quite clearly she's not gonna hold out for 8 episodes this time. She's nothing special at all.

Kanan is trying so hard to be Nozomi it's painful. Literally fits her bill in every single way and therefore she is absolutely worthless. And Mari we barely saw at all, but from the one brief line she spouted I could tell she sounded really ****ing weird. Can barely imagine what she'd be like as a singer...I won't get to find out.

But by far the worst were the first years. If Ruby is meant to be the shy one, why does Hanamaru sound softer? And oh god, she has a constant verbal tic. Those can **** off. Ruby herself just looks stupid when she ****ing explodes for no reason at all. That's not being shy, that's being hysterical. And Yoshiko...no. Just...no. OK?

Speaking of Yoshiko, and that quote Chika mentioned when she started getting deep, why does space seem such a central theme in an anime called Sunshine? As we now know from Pokemon, the two are complete opposites.

Other things. I'm not sure if the animation has improved, it's hard to tell. I wasn't into a lot of music from mu's and I'm really not into either of the two from Aquors we saw here. And as for the episode itself, there were a couple of funny bits, although mostly it was just plain and boring.

However, definitely the worst bit about the whole thing has to be the fact they actually put in one of mu's songs in the middle of it, and referenced them so often. The message is clear here: do you really think Lantis wanted to get rid of mu's like they have done? Do they hell. Everyone still worships those nine like crazy and they must have wanted them around for as long as they could. The fact that they are so deeply referenced after one episode of Aquors' anime just tells you that Aquors have only been done as they are to try and keep something like mu's going. Which is just what I suspected at first. Unfortunately, I reckon Lantis will be in for a disappointment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - they should have done something notably different, not just another gang of nine. Hopefully they'll cotton onto that when it's time for a new band to come around. I won't be following Aquors, so I'll be in for a long wait till Love Live's current affairs are worth my time again...

Until then the best I can hope for is that Aquors is to be remembered as the 'Chris Evans' of Love Live.

*Not like Honoka, who I presume would end up being an addict, Chika is already there.
**Clearly she's not trying hard enough to be like her.

Last edited:
Kanan is trying so hard to be Nozomi it's painful. Literally fits her bill in every single way and therefore she is absolutely worthless. And Mari we barely saw at all, but from the one brief line she spouted I could tell she sounded really ****ing weird. Can barely imagine what she'd be like as a singer...I won't get to find out.

KANN DEN BURRRY DESS CAR

Just got finished watching Season 1 of Love Live. I initially started watching because I was super bored and needed to get back into watching anime anyway. It's actually been a really good show which surprised me as it's got this charm about it that made me keep going to finish the season.

Episodes 12 and 13 though, Jesus Christ it turned deep so quickly. I don't usually get emotional watching things on TV or from watching anime, but I will admit I may have shed a manly tear during the final 2 episodes.

Looking forward to getting the OVA out of the way tomorrow before starting Season 2 and the movie when I come back from vacation.

Almost finished the Fifth Stage of initial d...... I'm sad :nervous::nervous: because I almost to the end of the series, the show was sooo good in the beginning and it was exciting it was also interesting to learn about Ryosuke Takahashi's past:):)

Almost finished the Fifth Stage of initial d...... I'm sad :nervous::nervous: because I almost to the end of the series, the show was sooo good in the beginning and it was exciting it was also interesting to learn about Ryosuke Takahashi's past:):)

Extra Stage 1 & 2, Battle Stage 1 & 2, Legend 1, 2, & 3 and then the manga are all awaiting after you do Final Stage. :)

Get creative and avoid the spoilers, kono shounen! If you can call Mugi your waifu, you can entice me to watch Re:Zero without revealing surprises.

*rock the boat*

Mmm without spoilers? Who do you think looks the nicest?

The always nice and beautiful Emilia?

latest

The cute maids Rem & Ram?

Re%20Zero%20Kara%20Hajimeru%20Isekai%20Seikatsu%20-%2004%20-%20Large%2034.jpg

Maybe the neko, Felix.

re-zero-12-09-subaru-and-felix.jpg

(hehe)

Or the oh-so-agile Felt?

64H727H.png

Yeah, the curse does prevent him from making his life (or lives) any easier. And much respect that he's trying his best. But that doesn't give him much entitlement to what happened in the grand palace, nor allows him to act as if everyone depends on him. The fact he actually did what he did at the grand palace is pretty outrageous, even for the kind of MC Subaru is. And even while he was healing his gate, spending time to think, he still hasn't found a proper solution. Instead he followed a solution that is suited for him alone, not anyone else...

Honestly, I don't know what to conclude of Subaru's character. After all, I'm just speculating based on the anime. But it's quite interesting to have an MC that isn't a white knight.

Yeah, I think he's still flying with the idea that he's the protagonist (technically he is but whatever) but that's not really the case, things won't go as he wants.
I don't think he's that nice of a guy, it's just that he became emotionally attatched to all this people, so he wants to protect them. One thing to think about is how after ending up in this world, he hasn't even thought about returning or his family or friends.

@Yauma9, based on the loose image search I've done. I'd say Elsa, but this is appearance only. I have to say I'm not a big fan of all the character designs in general.

Back