The Good Racecraft Guide

• Thread starter VBR
  • 95 comments
Couldn’t agree more with this. If you’ve got it right on an overtake, both you and the car you’ve overtaken will be in a close battle for the next corner.
Two cars can go around a corner side by side. The driver on the inside should always realise they have to do a lot of braking and if competent, will adjust everything they can not to ruin someone’s race.
We had some close racing back on GT5 shuffle races. Minimal contact. Fighting and overtaking each other corner after corner. Its a shame that it isn’t how it used to be.

We had some close racing back on GT5 shuffle races. Minimal contact. Fighting and overtaking each other corner after corner.

The GT5 Shuffle & Spec scene produced the best online racing I've ever had. Happy days! When you say "We...", did you & I race, & if so what was your PSN back then?

I have over 400 replays of online racing in GT5, & am thinking about possibly uploading the best of them to YouTube.

:)

Wow! I’d love to see this. I was gutted when they went. My online ID is Kars-of_sports. When I say we, I meant me and a lot of other racers. Maybe I raced with you at some point? Very skilled fair racing.
I got shunted off into the gravel once. That was only after me and this other guy had been racing each other up front for 3 or more laps. The lead position was constantly swapping. Small amounts of contact. He made an error and I ended up off the circuit. It was that close racing. Both of us could have made an error as it progressed further.
We didn’t have to shoot up the inside and keep pushing the back end of the car in front to gain a position. It demonstrates a lack of skill.
Back then, you would watch the car in front to see if they were slightly slower around a corner than you. You would then distance yourself from them a little as you went into the corner, then push as fast as you could over the apex and out of the corner. Often winning the position on corner exit.

Last edited:
My online ID is Kars-of_sports. When I say we, I meant me and a lot of other racers. Maybe I raced with you at some point? Very skilled fair racing.

I don't recognise your PSN, & don't recall it in any of the replays I've saved. And yes, I agree, the racing was generally very fair in clean Shuffle lobbies.

:)

Last edited:
This @VBR thread has definitely not the attention it deserves. 80 post in 10 years. hmmmm.
Having discovered it just today, I'd like to add some ideas:

1. An advanced incident (Not covered by the original text, I think.)
The situation occurs at the end of long slipstream straights, e.g. Interlagos or Suzuka.

Starting way ahead of the corner, I move to the inside, leaving about a car's width of space.
My thinking is that this makes it obvious that 'I defend' and nobody 'shalt pass'. Really hugging the wall or curb seems excessive.
Now, the "advanced" aggressive driver having the slipstream squeezes in there anyway.
I can almost hear them laughing "ha, this pleb can't even defend properly".

Maybe I leave a little more space, it's hard to judge exactly,
but still this behavior is just so obviously nonsensical and not gentleman-like, or is it?

The somehow correct part of his thinking is that he does not want to take the outside,
because he is vulnerable there and he cannot trust that I would keep it clean if he get slightly ahead.

2. Game theory
There is this well-known game of chicken where the driver avoiding the head-on crash loses.
A similiar situation occurs with attacking drivers. If you know they are going for it you are more likely to give up (as the leading car) to avoid the crash.
For the advanced aggressor it is enough that you know he sometimes goes for it. Much more could be said on this topic.

3. Most don't get it. Why?
I had some discussions (with video) about the type of corner you mention, where one enters wide to maximize exit speed.
This is the spot where I get punted the most, by far.
Most participants however did not even see any mistake from the driver following/diving in.

4. PD should really bring back some licence tests, where he situations you mention must be handled correctly many times in order to acquire the license. Example: You have to achieve a certain time through 130R, but you can't go the easy squeezy way. Or you have to achieve a time as the driver in front giving up the lead instead of taking the accident.

Last edited:
4. PD should really bring back some licence tests, where he situations you mention must be handled correctly many times in order to acquire the license. Example: You have to achieve a certain time through 130R, but you can't go the easy squeezy way. Or you have to achieve a time as the driver in front giving up the lead instead of taking the accident.

Agree, a better form of licensing should be implemented vice the stay clean for x number of races and you are SR S (I admit it is sort of the way I got there).

Back