The Good Racecraft Guide

Discussion in 'GTS Online Racing & Leagues' started by VBR, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mexgamer

mexgamer

I already sent you a PM and I already posted the link to this Guide on my website and thread! :tup:

2. VBR

VBR Premium

And I already added you to the list yesterday morning! ;) All the best with your series. :tup:

3. team trans

team trans

tell me 1.when do you race,2.what cars ,tires,mods,updates,laps,tire wear?I would assume full damage

4. Kurzweil

Kurzweil (Banned)

The hardest question the clean driver has to ask himself (and many that consider themselves clean fail this one), are you willing to LOSE a race to adhere to these?

I see many otherwise cleaner racers fail this on the last lap, as adrenaline, red mist and excitement take over. The 'Class Driver' knows the rules don't change on the last lap, when you are in second!

Kudos for a well written OP.

Phlano099, Nomad67 and VBR like this.
  5. Goodwolf

Goodwolf

Hi! I just noticed this! This is great as I just started my own championship!
    Also I have a good example on Defending and Attacking!​

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    GTP_ADE, Pedaltotheend and VBR like this.
  6. Peelster1

Peelster1

Didn't you have a list of Clubs & Leagues that use this at one point?

7. vinze1129

vinze1129

Nice written. It's hard to find good rooms with great drivers

VBR likes this.
  8. Daniel Pinho

Daniel Pinho

Great guide VBR. Every week after I race, I come back here and read it again looking for my track mistakes and where can I improve my racecraft. Thanks man.

VBR likes this.
  9. Luv2Coach

Luv2Coach

I mention the GRG often in my OP with several links within the OP. I'd actually like to have a way to require reading it, for new drivers coming in, before racing in the league. :) The guys we gave now, however, do a fantastic job following the OLR & GRG.

WELL DONE VBR.

Coach:gtpflag:

VBR and Ph1sher like this.
  10. smskeeter23

smskeeter23

Good stuff here.

Anybody know if there are or are going to be any online live classes? I'd love to participate in one (or a few) before going full on into WRS races. I've mostly been a TT guy :sly:

VBR likes this.
  11. Damo The Don

Damo The Don

No mention of late brake traps or over momentum/line traps =( <<< The deadliest racing tactics =)

VBR likes this.
  12. VBR

VBR Premium

I'm not familiar with those terms, please elaborate?

:)

13. Damo The Don

Damo The Don

Late brake trap : your right beside opponent on a back stretch the braking zone and corner is coming up and 1st position comes down to who shall brake the latest.. the driver attempts to out brake you but over does it and loses optimal line or speed into and out of corner or simply runs off the track , doing this when knowing you can out brake the opponents car or you have better braking skill or simply knowing the opponent folds under pressure is known as late brake trap there maybe other terms for it but this is as i know it.

Momentum trap is rather more difficult to set up and pull off and a bit harder for me to explain, imagine a S bend section where the first part(corner) is mild tightness and mid speed and the second part(corner) is much tighter and a known corner for cars to become light and somewhat unstable , the idea would be to be on the outside of the oponent (side by side) for the first corner and then resulting you being on the inside for the next corner(side by side still) which taking this line leaves your opponent two options being on the outside either be brave knowing the hazards in the corner and try to put more power down to overtake the inside car (trap) as there is a better chance of the him losing control/time or he backs off a little but gives pole position to the inside car. There are different types of momentum traps but this is the one i find easiest to explain to you.

I hope this is clear enough for you to understand pal :)

Good race craft can win races even in the slowest cars on the grid:cheers:

Try them out ....

llNovall, Phlano099 and VBR like this.
  14. VBR

VBR Premium

What you're talking about is racing technique, strategies to gaining places & winning races. This thread is only about trying to drive as cleanly & gentlemanly as possible.

:tup:

ITCC_Andrew likes this.
  15. ITCC_Andrew

ITCC_Andrew (Banned)

Fascinating. We suddenly want "deadly" tactics.

No, no we don't, thanks. What you're talking about is positioning the car. There are better ways to think about positioning the car... Since you want to talk about naming tactics, I suggest you study something I'll call the "50% rule."

It goes like this: two drivers enter a corner side by side. The driver on the inside stays on the inside 50%. The driver on the outside stays on the outside 50%. Both drivers give respect, and there are no accidents.

I prefer that system to any other. That "late braking trap" is fine, until you've got six cars ahead. If car #8 brakes late to pass #7, then #8 will smash #6. Big crash.

The same with "momentum trap"; car #7 tries to pass #6, checks up, and is collected by #8. Both are things I've seen in ITCC from rookie drivers, but never from champions.

TL;DR ; champions don't drive like that.

Phlano099 likes this.
  16. Matt Sierras

Matt Sierras

50% sounds like it would lose time for both drivers. It's best to yield so both drivers get the line and speed.

17. lllTrick

lllTrick

lol this was hilarious to read, who ever wrote this has top gear style sarcasm. It pretty much describes the sad amount of "optimistic online racers" haha. I love it. Looking forward to real racing and getting good at A class driving. The way it should be. :)

Alex ONeill and VBR like this.
  18. MISFITmusicINC

MISFITmusicINC

If both cars do somehow manage to make it through the corner side by side, which obviously results in lower cornering speeds, the bad driver has now let the rest of the field catch up some, let the the drivers ahead increase their lead or sometimes both.

:tup: too true. This is soooo often forgotten in the thrill of the race.

But isn't this part of racing? If your fighting for position, side by side through a few corners you are both slower but that's where thrill (and skill) come into play. The aggressor takes the outer line and keeps the car he's trying to pass from using the optimum line. As long as you have the skill to hold your line of course. An experienced driver will be aware (IRL) through crew chiefs and spotters when they're loosing too much time and to let them go for now. Now I'm not talking about dive-bombing into a turn to get the inside line dangerously. But if you have the appropriate amount of car up to theirs, in this case of rules here nose to driver, then fight for that spot. Just be mindful of howuch tire and time you're using. /End thought unless I'm missing something sorry if I am.

Phlano099 likes this.
  19. Inferno 2047

Inferno 2047

Kazunory needs to read this post. AI in GT whould be black flagged in any real world race

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017
  20. VBR

VBR Premium

The Good Racecraft Guide is a free resource written specifically to encourage clean online racing in the Gran Turismo series. It's just a guide, not a hard & fast set of rules, & as such can be an ideal complement to the rules & regs of your events. If anyone wishes to use the GRG here on GT Planet for their series/club/event, then they are more than welcome to post a link to it in their thread.

:tup:

Rinsky and Phlano099 like this.
  21. WaikeCU

WaikeCU

Kudos on the guide! I think it really is valuable for all of us to have such thing.

I think something about 'moving under braking' should be added as well.

VBR likes this.
  22. aceboy127

aceboy127 Premium

I almost forgot about this from the GT5 and GT6 days, great to see it here for GTS. In terms of additional information, maybe consider lapped traffic and multi-class racing. I think we deal with those enough in league racing that they would be relevant.

Whitetail, TexasJDC, Rinsky and 5 others like this.
  23. Dogwolf77

Dogwolf77

VBR likes this.
  24. oldguy58

oldguy58 Premium

Probably not the right place to post this but couldn't find a thread that applied better then this.

I can't stress enough...Learn how to pass someone without punting or pushing your opponent off the track!!!

Even with penalties dailies are still a joke! People need to learn how to race.:indiff:

SeeGeeAitch, Bass Addict and VBR like this.
  25. VBR

VBR Premium

That's what this thread is all about, definitely the right place to post that.

:)

danbojte and oldguy58 like this.
  26. BrandonW77

BrandonW77

I've been waiting over 10 years for people to learn that, have mostly given up on it at this point. :lol: Gotta change your mindset from trying to make up the most positions at the start, to trying to survive the start. Chances are several people will be in a crash at the first turn so you're still going to make up several positions, once you survive that then you can start racing. Obviously it would be nice to not have to take that approach, but we can't change their behavior so we have to adapt our behavior.

27. SeeGeeAitch

SeeGeeAitch

This is a good read and I agree with it all.

I'm relatively new to GTS (but played all previous GT games) and have finally completed the Driving School, Mission Challenges and Track Experiences 100% all gold.

Working through the GT Leagues now but intending on getting involved in online races soon.
    It's an exciting prospect but I keep putting it off as I guess I'm a bit nervous about it.... I believe in racing cleanly and fairly but, due to my inexperience, joining an online race feels like a fairly daunting thing.... I don't want to do the wrong thing and don't want to get labelled a dive-bombing idiot but I know that I will likely make mistakes at first....

Any advice? I'm guessing that the best thing to do would be to not look for results at first but concentrate on finishing races with no incidents, gradually build up my confidence and (hopefully) speed over a few weeks....

28. tonospeed

tonospeed

Great guide-should be a mandatory read when you first launch GT Sport.
    @SeeGeeAitch-as a 65yo noobie,online, it`s pretty daunting but such a blast compared to AI.watch out for unqualified drivers on the first corner though-you shouldn`t be able to race without qualifying-how do you know if they are faster and when should you yield??

VBR and SeeGeeAitch like this.
  29. Xtr3meNZer

Xtr3meNZer

I am not sure if you've gone and given it a go yet, which hopefully you have. The only suggestion I would have is in the Daily Races, spend a bit of time qualifying, have a look at the top racers for car choice, and just practice. You get your qualifying times in there, and then you race. Always be wary of the other cars, I always have the radar up so I can see where anyone is behind me quite easily. I guess mainly, just get in there and do it.

30. SeeGeeAitch

SeeGeeAitch

Hey! Yes I have and I've won a few races too - got win, pole, fastest lap and clean all in one race last week!

CGH win.jpg

Really enjoying it but yes I concentrate on learning braking points etc for a few days before racing.
    Thanks for the advice :)

Xtr3meNZer likes this.