The Good Racecraft Guide

• Thread starter VBR
  • 95 comments
VBR
Thanks! You're welcome. After posting a link to the GRG in your event & encouraging your members to read & apply it, just follow the post script at the very bottom of the GRG as quoted below;

đź‘Ť

I already sent you a PM and I already posted the link to this Guide on my website and thread! đź‘Ť

I already sent you a PM and I already posted the link to this Guide on my website and thread! đź‘Ť

And I already added you to the list yesterday morning! ;) All the best with your series. đź‘Ť

VBR
Pop Quiz! What kind of driver do you want to be known as amongst your friends & peers?

A Class Driver: Has good racecraft, experienced, competitive, sporting, fast to adapt, intelligent, thoughtful, gentlemanly & causes less incidents. :cool:

Z Class Driver: Has poor racecraft, inexperienced, aggressive, unsporting, slow to adapt, stupid, unthoughtful, ungentlemanly & causes more incidents. :dunce:

The hardest question the clean driver has to ask himself (and many that consider themselves clean fail this one), are you willing to LOSE a race to adhere to these?

I see many otherwise cleaner racers fail this on the last lap, as adrenaline, red mist and excitement take over. The 'Class Driver' knows the rules don't change on the last lap, when you are in second!

Kudos for a well written OP.

Hi! I just noticed this! This is great as I just started my own championship!
Also I have a good example on Defending and Attacking!​

VBR
The Good Racecraft Guide

Defending & Attacking

• An experienced racer will take whatever line he feels necessary into any given corner in order to defend & maintain his place, he is entitled to do so as he has track position over the pursuing driver, remember that the fastest line is not always the winning one. It is the other chaps job to force him into an error, whilst still driving cleanly of course, or wait for one to occur naturally & then take advantage of it, albeit in the proper fashion. An inexperienced racer will, in his endless optimism, tend to stuff it up the inside at every unavailable opportunity when trying to pass, imagining he is driving well but making far too much contact & causing many unnecessary incidents. Also, some lacking in good racecraft tend to drive right up to & into the driver in front, as they do not have the common sense to adjust their throttle & braking to account for following in the slipstream of another. You will notice that drivers who have good racecraft make very little contact when following & passing others on track.

Last edited:
I mention the GRG often in my OP with several links within the OP. I'd actually like to have a way to require reading it, for new drivers coming in, before racing in the league. :) The guys we gave now, however, do a fantastic job following the OLR & GRG.

WELL DONE VBR.

Coach:gtpflag:

Good stuff here.

Anybody know if there are or are going to be any online live classes? I'd love to participate in one (or a few) before going full on into WRS races. I've mostly been a TT guy :sly:

Late brake trap : your right beside opponent on a back stretch the braking zone and corner is coming up and 1st position comes down to who shall brake the latest.. the driver attempts to out brake you but over does it and loses optimal line or speed into and out of corner or simply runs off the track , doing this when knowing you can out brake the opponents car or you have better braking skill or simply knowing the opponent folds under pressure is known as late brake trap there maybe other terms for it but this is as i know it.

Momentum trap is rather more difficult to set up and pull off and a bit harder for me to explain, imagine a S bend section where the first part(corner) is mild tightness and mid speed and the second part(corner) is much tighter and a known corner for cars to become light and somewhat unstable , the idea would be to be on the outside of the oponent (side by side) for the first corner and then resulting you being on the inside for the next corner(side by side still) which taking this line leaves your opponent two options being on the outside either be brave knowing the hazards in the corner and try to put more power down to overtake the inside car (trap) as there is a better chance of the him losing control/time or he backs off a little but gives pole position to the inside car. There are different types of momentum traps but this is the one i find easiest to explain to you.

I hope this is clear enough for you to understand pal :)

Good race craft can win races even in the slowest cars on the grid:cheers:

Try them out ....

What you're talking about is racing technique, strategies to gaining places & winning races. This thread is only about trying to drive as cleanly & gentlemanly as possible.

đź‘Ť

No mention of late brake traps or over momentum/line traps =( <<< The deadliest racing tactics =)
Fascinating. We suddenly want "deadly" tactics.

No, no we don't, thanks. What you're talking about is positioning the car. There are better ways to think about positioning the car... Since you want to talk about naming tactics, I suggest you study something I'll call the "50% rule."

It goes like this: two drivers enter a corner side by side. The driver on the inside stays on the inside 50%. The driver on the outside stays on the outside 50%. Both drivers give respect, and there are no accidents.

I prefer that system to any other. That "late braking trap" is fine, until you've got six cars ahead. If car #8 brakes late to pass #7, then #8 will smash #6. Big crash.

The same with "momentum trap"; car #7 tries to pass #6, checks up, and is collected by #8. Both are things I've seen in ITCC from rookie drivers, but never from champions.

TL;DR ; champions don't drive like that.

Fascinating. We suddenly want "deadly" tactics.

No, no we don't, thanks. What you're talking about is positioning the car. There are better ways to think about positioning the car... Since you want to talk about naming tactics, I suggest you study something I'll call the "50% rule."

It goes like this: two drivers enter a corner side by side. The driver on the inside stays on the inside 50%. The driver on the outside stays on the outside 50%. Both drivers give respect, and there are no accidents.

I prefer that system to any other. That "late braking trap" is fine, until you've got six cars ahead. If car #8 brakes late to pass #7, then #8 will smash #6. Big crash.

The same with "momentum trap"; car #7 tries to pass #6, checks up, and is collected by #8. Both are things I've seen in ITCC from rookie drivers, but never from champions.

TL;DR ; champions don't drive like that.

50% sounds like it would lose time for both drivers. It's best to yield so both drivers get the line and speed.

VBR
Pop Quiz! What kind of driver do you want to be known as amongst your friends & peers?

A Class Driver: Has good racecraft, experienced, competitive, sporting, fast to adapt, intelligent, thoughtful, gentlemanly & causes less incidents. :cool:

Z Class Driver: Has poor racecraft, inexperienced, aggressive, unsporting, slow to adapt, stupid, unthoughtful, ungentlemanly & causes more incidents. :dunce:
lol this was hilarious to read, who ever wrote this has top gear style sarcasm. It pretty much describes the sad amount of "optimistic online racers" haha. I love it. Looking forward to real racing and getting good at A class driving. The way it should be. :)

↑
If both cars do somehow manage to make it through the corner side by side, which obviously results in lower cornering speeds, the bad driver has now let the rest of the field catch up some, let the the drivers ahead increase their lead or sometimes both.

đź‘Ť too true. This is soooo often forgotten in the thrill of the race.

But isn't this part of racing? If your fighting for position, side by side through a few corners you are both slower but that's where thrill (and skill) come into play. The aggressor takes the outer line and keeps the car he's trying to pass from using the optimum line. As long as you have the skill to hold your line of course. An experienced driver will be aware (IRL) through crew chiefs and spotters when they're loosing too much time and to let them go for now. Now I'm not talking about dive-bombing into a turn to get the inside line dangerously. But if you have the appropriate amount of car up to theirs, in this case of rules here nose to driver, then fight for that spot. Just be mindful of howuch tire and time you're using. /End thought unless I'm missing something sorry if I am.

VBR
The Good Racecraft Guide

We already have the excellent GT Planet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines (OLR) that defines very clearly what good racing is to us, I expect you have all read & refer back to them regularly so that you understand what is required of GT Planet members when racing online in certain organised events. However, what about their practical application & all the subtle nuances that constitute good racecraft?

This article will cover what the cleanest gentleman drivers here at GT Planet consider to be good racecraft, etiquette/manners, & general sportsmanship. If you have any opinions on the matter please post them in this thread, together we can make each other better & more considerate drivers by sharing the wealth of knowledge we all have regarding exactly what it is that defines good racecraft. The following is based on my many experiences of gentlemanly online racing with some the cleanest forum members out there over the last few years, mainly in GT5 Prologue & GT5, but now also in GT6.​

Defending & Attacking

• An experienced racer will take whatever line he feels necessary into any given corner in order to defend & maintain his place, he is entitled to do so as he has track position over the pursuing driver, remember that the fastest line is not always the winning one. It is the other chaps job to force him into an error, whilst still driving cleanly of course, or wait for one to occur naturally & then take advantage of it, albeit in the proper fashion. An inexperienced racer will, in his endless optimism, tend to stuff it up the inside at every unavailable opportunity when trying to pass, imagining he is driving well but making far too much contact & causing many unnecessary incidents. Also, some lacking in good racecraft tend to drive right up to & into the driver in front, as they do not have the common sense to adjust their throttle & braking to account for following in the slipstream of another. You will notice that drivers who have good racecraft make very little contact when following & passing others on track.

Overtaking & Being Overtaken

• When attempting to overtake up the inside on the run up to a tight high speed corner, like 130R on Suzuka for instance, sometimes you are not close enough to pull it off. The discerning driver knows when this is the case & will yield by coming off the throttle or even braking a little if necessary, so as not to cause an incident. There is after all only 1 racing line through 130R. The aggressive driver goes for it regardless, stuffs it up the inside, causes an incident, & puts his poor racecraft on display for all to see. If both cars do somehow manage to make it through the corner side by side, which will obviously result in lower cornering speeds, the bad driver has now let the rest of the field catch up some, let the the drivers ahead increase their lead, or sometimes both. Not only is it bad manners, it is also counter productive. You will not see mature racers executing such mindlessly aggressive do or die maneuvers, they get their overtaking done well before the apex of such corners.

• When being overtaken up the inside on the run up to a tight high speed corner, like 130R on Suzuka for instance, the competitive driver with good racecraft recognises when the battle is lost & will yield by coming off the throttle or even braking a little if necessary, so that both cars can make the apex of the corner at pretty much full racing speed. The overly optimistic driver will carry on around the outside at full throttle in a dangerous attempt to defend his position, which is clearly already lost. You will not see top class racers out on track performing in this way, as this kind of optimism can lead to a catastrophic & entirely unnecessary incident. However, a possible exception to these scenarios might be when two intelligent drivers are more or less alongside each other on the run up to 130R & battling for position on the final lap, where driving slower & side by side through the corner to keep track position would lead to a win, or a higher finishing position.

• The correct or optimal racing line in certain corners, like the last turn at Fuji for instance, can look very wide to the untrained eye. The undiscerning racer cannot tell the difference between a driver taking the correct racing line, & one going wide into these types of corners, he thinks the chap in front has made an error & stuffs it up the inside in a futile effort to overtake. When the driver in front accelerates towards the apex, the driver behind now finds he has placed his car in the wrong position, & there is contact. Once again, by slowing both cars up the bad driver has let the chaps in front pull away some, & those behind catch up. The intelligent racer knows there is usually no real advantage to this, & does his overtaking on the following straight or when he sees someone has actually gone wide in these types of corners.

• When the driver of the car in front has made an error & gone wide into a corner, the well mannered driver behind will go for the overtake but leaves just enough room for him as he accelerates out, this is because he knows that the other car is still going round on the outside of the track. An inexperienced driver, or one with bad manners, will also go for the overtake but accelerates out of the corner at full speed using all of the proper racing line as if he is the only one on track. This leads to contact, pushing the other driver off track, or even an incident involving multiple cars if battling in a pack. You will not see gentlemanly racers causing this kind of incident through such a lack of manners.

• When an experienced & thoughtful racer is being overtaken up the inside in slower/wider corners, he knows where the other driver is on track & leaves him just enough room so that they can drive around together side by side, he takes a different line while still maintaining a reasonable amount of speed. The aggressive or unthoughtful racer tries to return to the racing line, turns into the other driver & causes unnecessary contact, as he is not discerning enough to make the correct adjustment to his line. Drivers with good racecraft have the ability to adapt quickly to various situations, to make better judgements, & tend to avoid & not cause as many incidents.

Drafting

• It is considered extremely unsporting to weave about left & right all over the track trying to stop your opponent from drafting you, it is also quite undignified & not at all gentlemanly (do not confuse this with blocking by weaving to stop another driver from passing you, which as you already know is against the OLR, see rules 10:A-C). A well mannered & intelligent racer may choose to take a variety of different lines through corners to try to minimise the amount of draft his opponent gets, he is entitled to take any line he wishes being the driver in front. Also, when coming onto the straight, he may continue turning past the track out point & take a different line down it. From then on however, manners dictate that he only has 1 move either left or right to choose his line into the next turn, this should be done early & slowly enough to give other drivers following behind a fair chance to react, lest there be an otherwise avoidable incident.

• When drafting in a pack down the straight heading for a turn, the experienced driver near the back knows that he is drafting a car that is drafting other cars, & is thus travelling significantly faster than everyone else. He also knows that he will need to brake much earlier than the others to avoid contact by the end of the straight, especially if the chaps in front are going in 3 or 4 abreast & there is no room to pass. The optimistic driver thinks he can overtake them all & come out in 1st place. He carries on, brakes way too late & ploughs through those in front causing chaos, & ends up off track or having to wait for those he hit. Experienced racers hardly ever find themselves in this position, on the rare occasions they do it's usually just down to braking errors, & most certainly not due to wildly optimistic overtaking maneuvers.

• When overtaking another car near the end of a straight, it is good manners to leave the other driver his line, & stick to your own. It is bad manners to quickly swerve in front of the car you have just passed, take his line & brake. This is because you will be travelling much faster due to drafting him & will have to brake significantly earlier, the other driver will have almost no time to react by changing his line or braking point. This kind of bad racecraft can lead to many unnecessary incidents going into turns at the ends of straights, you will not see the more experienced & well rounded drivers performing this kind of maneuver.

• When a thoughtful racer finds himself drafting a different make of car down a straight that's faster, but with less braking power & slower round corners, he pulls out of the draft much earlier than usual. This is so he can out brake him going into the next turn, without running into the back of him. The unthoughtful racer carries on oblivious to the fact that he is just about to cause a major incident. Good racecraft also involves taking into account the diverse range of vehicles, tunes, & personalities out on track, & how this can dynamically alter the way the race pans out through the various & ever changing situations as they unfold.

Please note; as regards Drafting, certain ponts may be less relevant when Slipstream is set to Real in GT6's online lobbies.

Helpful Links

Dead Nuts Even Classroom Training

iRacing Driving School

PS: If anyone wishes to use the GRG here on GT Planet, they are more than welcome to post a link to it in their thread. Anyone wishing to copy & paste this article onto another website may do so, as long as they credit me (VBR from GT Planet) as the original author, & provide a link back to the first post in this thread.

Kazunory needs to read this post. AI in GT whould be black flagged in any real world race

Last edited by a moderator:
The Good Racecraft Guide is a free resource written specifically to encourage clean online racing in the Gran Turismo series. It's just a guide, not a hard & fast set of rules, & as such can be an ideal complement to the rules & regs of your events. If anyone wishes to use the GRG here on GT Planet for their series/club/event, then they are more than welcome to post a link to it in their thread.

đź‘Ť

I almost forgot about this from the GT5 and GT6 days, great to see it here for GTS. In terms of additional information, maybe consider lapped traffic and multi-class racing. I think we deal with those enough in league racing that they would be relevant.

Probably not the right place to post this but couldn't find a thread that applied better then this.

I can't stress enough...Learn how to pass someone without punting or pushing your opponent off the track!!!

Even with penalties dailies are still a joke! People need to learn how to race.:indiff:

I've been waiting over 10 years for people to learn that, have mostly given up on it at this point. :lol: Gotta change your mindset from trying to make up the most positions at the start, to trying to survive the start. Chances are several people will be in a crash at the first turn so you're still going to make up several positions, once you survive that then you can start racing. Obviously it would be nice to not have to take that approach, but we can't change their behavior so we have to adapt our behavior.

This is a good read and I agree with it all.

I'm relatively new to GTS (but played all previous GT games) and have finally completed the Driving School, Mission Challenges and Track Experiences 100% all gold.

Working through the GT Leagues now but intending on getting involved in online races soon.
It's an exciting prospect but I keep putting it off as I guess I'm a bit nervous about it.... I believe in racing cleanly and fairly but, due to my inexperience, joining an online race feels like a fairly daunting thing.... I don't want to do the wrong thing and don't want to get labelled a dive-bombing idiot but I know that I will likely make mistakes at first....

Any advice? I'm guessing that the best thing to do would be to not look for results at first but concentrate on finishing races with no incidents, gradually build up my confidence and (hopefully) speed over a few weeks....

Great guide-should be a mandatory read when you first launch GT Sport.
@SeeGeeAitch-as a 65yo noobie,online, it`s pretty daunting but such a blast compared to AI.watch out for unqualified drivers on the first corner though-you shouldn`t be able to race without qualifying-how do you know if they are faster and when should you yield??

This is a good read and I agree with it all.

I'm relatively new to GTS (but played all previous GT games) and have finally completed the Driving School, Mission Challenges and Track Experiences 100% all gold.

Working through the GT Leagues now but intending on getting involved in online races soon.
It's an exciting prospect but I keep putting it off as I guess I'm a bit nervous about it.... I believe in racing cleanly and fairly but, due to my inexperience, joining an online race feels like a fairly daunting thing.... I don't want to do the wrong thing and don't want to get labelled a dive-bombing idiot but I know that I will likely make mistakes at first....

Any advice? I'm guessing that the best thing to do would be to not look for results at first but concentrate on finishing races with no incidents, gradually build up my confidence and (hopefully) speed over a few weeks....

I am not sure if you've gone and given it a go yet, which hopefully you have. The only suggestion I would have is in the Daily Races, spend a bit of time qualifying, have a look at the top racers for car choice, and just practice. You get your qualifying times in there, and then you race. Always be wary of the other cars, I always have the radar up so I can see where anyone is behind me quite easily. I guess mainly, just get in there and do it.

I am not sure if you've gone and given it a go yet, which hopefully you have. The only suggestion I would have is in the Daily Races, spend a bit of time qualifying, have a look at the top racers for car choice, and just practice. You get your qualifying times in there, and then you race. Always be wary of the other cars, I always have the radar up so I can see where anyone is behind me quite easily. I guess mainly, just get in there and do it.

Hey! Yes I have and I've won a few races too - got win, pole, fastest lap and clean all in one race last week!

CGH win.jpg

Really enjoying it but yes I concentrate on learning braking points etc for a few days before racing.
Thanks for the advice :)

Latest Posts

Back