The Gran Turismo 5 DLC Conspiracy

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeoXenzaka
  • 60 comments
  • 11,866 views
Does anyone know what size of Blu-ray disc GT5 is on? Could the reason for limitations in the numbers of tracks and events be due to disc space? Perhaps they wanted to keep the game on 1 Blu-ray disc and there wasn't room for more tracks. Just a thought.

I read somewhere on here it was around 19.5 Gig, with between 8-10 gigs installed to the HHD, hence the incredibly long installation time.
 
@iamjajo
You have a point but i think most of us have accepted it, you love it too even if its annoying. :lol:

I do love the game, and I actually find nothing really wrong with it. I think there are a number of things that could have been done differently, and some that could be better, but it's still a great game.

(Just don't get me started on the online lobbies).
 
A car pack will be good but I just noticed with gt for psp you can transfer the cars from that to gt5 and there is a free dlc I saw in ps store with an Enzo in it and some other cars so it's prett much free cars if you have the psp version. Excuse poor caps etc using iPod and too slow.
 
No, I won't buy any DLC.
If it's free I'll download if it comes out.
 
If GT6 is a ps4 title then its almost guarenteed there will be GT5 ps3 dlc.
 
They aren't even the most obvious.
I give you the Mazda 6 Touring car...
screenshot20110404at101.png


And the Mazda Attenza Touring Car...
screenshot20110404at101.png

Lol, thats right. They are identical! Right down to the number

One might become premium. Remember Kaz said the cars that have both letters P/S, were once standard then converted to premium. They might change one. But, that is REALLY HOPEFUL thinking. So many duplicates. It's a huge let down. Like wow. OYYY!
 
Last edited:
10

Oh come on. It wasn't PD's fault. I'm kind of angry that it would've taken another 2 years to complete, but it was a forced decision to release it early. I just don't understand why it takes so long to make the cars. THAT should have been a cry for more designers. It's just so sad that GT5 could have been at least 5 times as good. So much time was spent building the framework ground-up that they couldn't deliver the goods earlier.


NoxNoctis Umbra
Apr 16 2009, 10:21 PM #3

We are all one mind.
Why not? I would love to see more RIMS, Body kits, wings, Extra stuff.. We all know CARS and Tracks is a must as well

But..

We must expect a full game right away.. Damange, Weather, Day Night Cycles.. and Car customization (livery, colors, body kits) should be all included from day one..

So I hope PD does release a FULL game, I can wait extra time.. Even if it's full year from today..

This poor guy would have had to wait 3 years. That's just effin insane. I mean, come on.

The Jaguar XFR '10 is standard. It's the only 2010 car that isn't premium, just checked. Wouldn't that mean they're making that premium? It's too new not to be updated to premium.

Although it may be obvious to most of you, only 1 or 2 production cars and 4-5 race cars are standard from 2006 to 2010. The rest are Premium. It hurts to see the facts. So many of those new cars that shouldn't be premium. It's car manufacturer manipulated. It's like a sour advertisement. DAmnnnnnnnnnnnnn

166 Premium cars are newly added to the GT series. So when we were hoping for all of our favorites from the past games, we potentially have 80% not favorite cars from the past GTs.


two Cappucinos are premium in the game. Why not make one and make a car people actually want to RACE for the second. Or heck, not make any of them premium, no one will really care.
I feel they added those 2 and a bunch of other premium cars to fit the A-Spec races. It'll be really disheartening if a significant amount of the standard cars aren't updated to premium.
 
Last edited:
Oh puh-lease, if content is being held on purpose and that pisses you off, why did you buy the game then? If a given product does not match your expectations, you just shouldn't have bought it to begin with. :rolleyes:

The main goal for any software company is to make money, wheter it is made via DLC or not is not arguable as long as the consumer base is accepting such content.

I fail to see any problem if stuff was held on purpose. It's Sony's right as holder of the intellectual property of such content and therefore, releasing it from start off is exclusively their choice.

EDIT: On a personal note, I must say there isn't enough tracks and events in the game and I can't really credit this whole "DLC conspiracy" for the lack of said content, I think it is mostly due to lack of focus, as the sensei's vision for the game was quite numb and was never really delined in a clean way. Subjectiveness is to blame in my opinion.
 
The major reason it took 5 years is because they had to create the game twice... after the first modelling, they found that the game was just too much for a PS3 to handle, so they had to start over with a less ambitious project. Simple as that.
 
It doesnt take 6 months to create a premium car, maybe 1-2 monts, because there are more than one person doing it. if it takes 6 months to make a car, than its waste of time, look at forza they create their cars faster, but still they are pretty detailed to me.
 
It doesnt take 6 months to create a premium car, maybe 1-2 monts, because there are more than one person doing it. if it takes 6 months to make a car, than its waste of time, look at forza they create their cars faster, but still they are pretty detailed to me.

Yes forza is 'pretty detailed'. GT5 is 'extremely,loving detailed''.
Look at the end credits for GT5 there is not many people for Car Modelling maybe 30-40.

It's a decision they decided to make, give us the exact Interior and exterior of everyday and super cars, down to the last detail. I am thankful for this.
You can make up your own time in your head but there is an article on google but i'm not gonna be your search puppet where Kazunori or his translator says something about 4-6 months for a Premium model. Not your fantasy 1-2.
 
Sure I would buy it. But what are they waiting for? Seriously if they were going to release DLC in PS Store wouldn't they have done it already? The game was at its height of popularity around Christmas.

I don't understand why they would release DLC when GT5 is at its most popular, people are playing it anyways. I think they are much better of releasing it when the popularity is decreasing drasticly, so people would come back. No point releasing it when every body is happy with they way it already is. I think we are getting close to the point when PD will benefit from releasing DLC.
 
While DLC is a possibility, I'm not holding my breath.

There are cars that PD obviously intended to include, but didn't. Those are somewhat likely additions. Off the top of my head:

1. Maserati GranSport Spyder: seen being photographed a few years back
2. FIA GT/DTM: intended to be included, according to Kaz
3. Award winners: the Abarth and the SEMA Camaro
 
I don't understand why they would release DLC when GT5 is at its most popular, people are playing it anyways.
Therefore they could sell the most DLC during this period. I doubt they care about whether people play the game or not, its about money.

I think they are much better of releasing it when the popularity is decreasing drasticly, so people would come back.
I agree with you 100% this makes perfect sense to the true fans. But from a business standpoint wouldn't you want to maximize profit by selling the DLC during the peak of popularity. I have a hard time believing PD is so noble they would wait for us to stop playing then release the DLC to get us to come back.

No point releasing it when every body is happy with they way it already is.
People have been asking for additional DLC since the first week the game was out. Who said everyones happy?

I think we are getting close to the point when PD will benefit from releasing DLC.
The more DLC the merrier. But I believe "we the fans" are at the point where DLC will benefit us more than PD. If its about making money, I don't see how PD could sell more DLC now or in the future then back in Nov-Dec 2010. Some of my buddies who are more casual gamers haven't even touched the game after they beat it. They're is probably tons of people who are already completely done with this game. DLC may or may not bring them back, but my back in Nov-Dec they had a better chance of buying DLC because thats when this game was the "buzz."
 
Therefore they could sell the most DLC during this period. I doubt they care about whether people play the game or not, its about money.


I agree with you 100% this makes perfect sense to the true fans. But from a business standpoint wouldn't you want to maximize profit by selling the DLC during the peak of popularity. I have a hard time believing PD is so noble they would wait for us to stop playing then release the DLC to get us to come back.


People have been asking for additional DLC since the first week the game was out. Who said everyones happy?


The more DLC the merrier. But I believe "we the fans" are at the point where DLC will benefit us more than PD. If its about making money, I don't see how PD could sell more DLC now or in the future then back in Nov-Dec 2010. Some of my buddies who are more casual gamers haven't even touched the game after they beat it. They're is probably tons of people who are already completely done with this game. DLC may or may not bring them back, but my back in Nov-Dec they had a better chance of buying DLC because thats when this game was the "buzz."

You raise some very good points, and actually making me even more nervous before my final marketing exams this spring :P From an financial point - of - view PD has everything to loose on scheduling DLC for a later release. Every day that pass, PD will loose money they could have made by having DLC available. The financial benefit from releasing DLC when GT 5 was at its peak in terms of popularity is unquestionably larger than relasing it now, but i can't help but think that PD is focused on keeping the level of popularity for as long as possible (the game isn't ment do be completed in a few weeks). Maybe I am being naive or my consumer mentality is different from most people (I didn't want DLC to start with, because i knew i would'nt buy any DLC it anyway. Now that I am quite bored with GT 5 I whish for DLC more than ever). Henche I think PD will do as many other game developers has done in the past, i.e Call of Duty, release DLC when they expect a decrease in popularity.

People could definitely be more pleased with GT 5, but I don't if they were unhappy with no DLC or because PD released an unfinsihed game? I certanly wanted installation packages which fixed bugs and other basic features that were missing more than any smaller additional content. That said, I would have paid for those installation packages, like in DLC. Anywho i hope DLC is coming soon!
 
Last edited:
Oh come on. It wasn't PD's fault.

It also isn't my fault, why should I pay for it? Go on, give me one good reason why i should pay extra.
The game was rediculous, it wouldn't have took long to extend the Aspec element using existing cars and tracks. They are lazy and don't deserve another penny.
 
10
It also isn't my fault, why should I pay for it? Go on, give me one good reason why i should pay extra.
The game was rediculous, it wouldn't have took long to extend the Aspec element using existing cars and tracks. They are lazy and don't deserve another penny.

Exactly. They knew they could have made a game with the same or more amount of content as GT4 but PD is incompetent of actually doing what fans want.
 
10
It also isn't my fault, why should I pay for it? Go on, give me one good reason why i should pay extra.
The game was rediculous, it wouldn't have took long to extend the Aspec element using existing cars and tracks. They are lazy and don't deserve another penny.

Kind of like the seasonals do?
 
Therefore they could sell the most DLC during this period. I doubt they care about whether people play the game or not, its about money.

I agree with you 100% this makes perfect sense to the true fans. But from a business standpoint wouldn't you want to maximize profit by selling the DLC during the peak of popularity. I have a hard time believing PD is so noble they would wait for us to stop playing then release the DLC to get us to come back.

People have been asking for additional DLC since the first week the game was out. Who said everyones happy?


The more DLC the merrier. But I believe "we the fans" are at the point where DLC will benefit us more than PD. If its about making money, I don't see how PD could sell more DLC now or in the future then back in Nov-Dec 2010. Some of my buddies who are more casual gamers haven't even touched the game after they beat it. They're is probably tons of people who are already completely done with this game. DLC may or may not bring them back, but my back in Nov-Dec they had a better chance of buying DLC because thats when this game was the "buzz."

Who said anything about financial profit? If DLC is made availiable it's never been said you have to pay for it.

GT5 Prologue was released and had plenty of DLC for no charge. Heck you even got Gt5 Prologue Spec II for no extra charge, just via an update for free.
The maker of GT5 has said before he" doesn't believe in paid DLC"
Your debating over something that hasn't even happened yet, especially the people getting wound up about paying extra for a game they think is incomplete.
 
GT5:P was a glorified demo, and if you paid $40 for that... I lol @ u.

Anyway... PD's history in the time span of GT5's production is somewhat documented here on GTP. They had a lot of things going at the time which definitely put GT5 on the back burner for a while.

Tourist Trohpy,
GT:PSP,
GT5:P with active online and updates/DLC.

It probably didn't help either that they had to completely code GT5 from scratch for the PS3, which as I understand is more difficult to program for because of the multi cell processor.

And of course GT5 also has a lot of features that no other GT title has, and to venture into those frontiers probably did take some time to R&D. Though the results are pretty lackluster, I'm sure they've gone through countless tests to find what will work for the user, for the game itself, and for the PS3. That's a lot to balance IMO.

Then you have other projects on the side that have PD's stamp on it, like the digital interface for the Nissan GTR. And as I understand it, they do side projects for automobile companies all the time.

If this wasn't enough, Kaz had embarked on a bit of a racing career himself. And they had the whole GT Academy to oversee...

I can definitely see how it took 5 years to finally release GT5. Small company probably spreading themselves too thin to juggle all this business. They did the best they can and they're rapidly fixing and giving due attention to anything in GT5 that isn't satisfactory.
 
Well, the conspiracy must be true seeing as how we consistently receive updates that keeps improving the game every month except for the fact that its free content and does not come with a price, which is a big plus for us consumers. Unless if you're just so eager to throw away cash, then I highly suggest you adjust your aim towards PD.
 
it probably didn't help either that they had to completely code gt5 from scratch for the ps3, which as i understand is more difficult to program for because of the multi cell processor.

and of course gt5 also has a lot of features that no other gt title has, and to venture into those frontiers probably did take some time to r&d. Though the results are pretty lackluster, i'm sure they've gone through countless tests to find what will work for the user, for the game itself, and for the ps3. That's a lot to balance imo.

then you have other projects on the side that have pd's stamp on it, like the digital interface for the nissan gtr. And as i understand it, they do side projects for automobile companies all the time.
if this wasn't enough, kaz had embarked on a bit of a racing career himself. And they had the whole gt academy to oversee...

I can definitely see how it took 5 years to finally release gt5. small company probably spreading themselves too thin to juggle all this business. They did the best they can and they're rapidly fixing and giving due attention to anything in gt5 that isn't satisfactory.

Hallelujah. And some of this is what people dont realise. If everyone had just taken a step back, chilled a little, waited Patiently for GT5 then it would have been a complete game. But because people started pressuring, getting annoyed at the constant delays, Sony pressured PD to get tthe game out, 2 years ahead of what Kaz wanted. So what if it had taken 7 years to make a game, it'd be complete right?
And yes, they have already fixed some key points, I.E, ballast, customizable transmission etc.
 
GT.VOL, the archive that houses all in game content is 11GB in size. The game isn't even filling half of Blu-ray's dual layer capacity. Somebody needs to unpack the contents of that .VOL file like they did with GT3, GT4 to see what was planned.

This
 
would be sick if true, but its all secrets and lies :P
 
[..]
And yes, they have already fixed some key points, I.E, ballast, customizable transmission etc.
They haven't: customizable gears still have a bug left there since GT4 (selectable gear ratio range variable depending on the "top speed" setting), ballast is still pretty much pointless without detailed weight distribution info (again, this is exactly as it was in GT4).

drummermaniac
Whistle Snap
GT.VOL, the archive that houses all in game content is 11GB in size. The game isn't even filling half of Blu-ray's dual layer capacity. Somebody needs to unpack the contents of that .VOL file like they did with GT3, GT4 to see what was planned.

This
I second that.
 
I would certainly buy dlc for GT5 if they were to release any but as mentioned before the game has been out 6 months all ready so why haven't they done so it's not like we don't get new stuff you only have to go to the online ucd to see the new content in the shape of cars lol
 
...Forget the 5five years it took to make the game. Where is the 5five years of content?...

What are the chances of the "old tracks" and "things missing" coming back in DLC at a price? Why was the content not found in GT5?


Definitely 5 years of development? You're sure about that? :D

Coming from Forza 3 I certainly feel like I gave loyalty to a games company who then tried to hold me over a barrel with DLC. Jalopnik pack, anyone?

That brings me to my first point... caveat emptor. If you don't like, don't buy.

Creating a full model to premium standard (or even standard standard...) isn't an easy job - and therefore isn't a cheap job. Importing tracks/scenery/artefacts isn't a quick copy>paste job either, especially when your design team are working on new tracks.

Overall I think PD have done a good job and given us something that's (as you say) is very very good. They work to a bottom line though - hard cash. They can't do something unprofitable and the 'work in progress' trend that's become the norm due to the ease of online updates makes it easier to slot content in after-the-fact.

Will they do paid DLC? I'm sure they will - it's a 'must' nowadays to turn a profit, especially when you run a large 24-hour network of online servers to support gameplay. Maybe some of the 'old' content will be DLC, but my instinct tells me that they won't be as hard-faced as certain other companies when it comes to pricing or amounts of content per-pack.

EDIT: At those saying "why haven't they released DLC already?" I'd point out that GT5's core software needed improvement on release - and we've been getting that. The situation in Japan has been difficult for everybody and that's been bound to have had some impact on PD's operations (although they've never said so). I'd prefer that the core issues took priority before shiny bolt-ons.
 
They haven't: customizable gears still have a bug left there since GT4 (selectable gear ratio range variable depending on the "top speed" setting), ballast is still pretty much pointless without detailed weight distribution info (again, this is exactly as it was in GT4).

I had never said that it was perfect I merely said it was fixed. the extent of the fix whether perfect or pathetic was never stated. Yes, I will say now, weight distribution would be another great tool. But ballast is effective without that information.
 
Back