The Gran Turismo Sport Media Cup Has Begun, and GTPlanet is Taking Part

When you help organize and maintain GTPlanet's Weekly Race Series for over eight years like Kevin (@EDK) or write 25 news articles for us like Ali (@sems4arsenal), you've earned the right to be called "staff" in my book.

Just to make sure I didn't get taken the wrong way, I said that purely as a light hearted joke, not questioning their validity of staff in the slightest! 👍 It was just the the fact a news site that was founded around the game franchise is very likely to be a frontrunner in a competition like this. When you first heard about this competition you must have thought "We got this!" :lol:

Eating out on a Friday night. :) I'm going to try to get some racing in later.
Better hurry

Edit, not bad

Attachments

• 20170512_212023.jpg
    20170512_212023.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I think I have a grip on how this works.
Well, at least a version in my head anyway. :P

But I can't see any evidence of an accumulation of points from each day towards a grand tally.
Is it simply the ranking/class (and therefore points scored) on the last day of racing, or do the points from previous days also come into play?

But I can't see any evidence of an accumulation of points from each day towards a grand tally.
Is it simply the ranking/class (and therefore points scored) on the last day of racing, or do the points from previous days also come into play?
These drivers will be racing amongst the rest of the existing beta testers to achieve their best possible Driver and Sportsmanship Ratings. The top ten drivers in both categories will be scored, and the combined total will be used for rankings.

Media Cup Ranking System
1st: 25 Points
2nd: 18 Points
3rd: 15 Points
4th: 12 Points
5th: 10 Points
6th: 8 Points
7th: 6 Points
8th: 4 Points
9th: 2 Points
10th: 1 Point
Unless I'm missing something, everything is made clear in the article.

Good luck dude! Make sure you tell us all about it.

Really? You probably need to look at your racing game history a little closer. GT1 wasn't even the first sim on PS1.

And before that we had these two.

Plenty others before that as well. The world of racing games does not begin and end at GT.

I think it's cool that PD have this event running for the media. Would have preferred it if we could have all been involved. However, lets not make this out to be some fantastic extra special thing that PD have done because it's not.

Dude. PD's first GT was 1st 'Sim' imo because you could modify characteristics through engine and chassis modifications... period. They are also 1st to have street AND race cars together as well as many other firsts.

Not to toot any horns but this age of alternate reality for the sake of saving face is simply stupid...immho.

Dude. PD's first GT was 1st 'Sim' imo because you could modify characteristics through engine and chassis modifications... period. They are also 1st to have street AND race cars together as well as many other firsts.

Not to toot any horns but this age of alternate reality for the sake of saving face is simply stupid...immho.
Keep on drinking the Kool Aid.

You may have a point if the highlighted points were the definition of a simulation. However, they are not.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, everything is made clear in the article.
Good call. 👍

My only issue (failure to understand) is that I don't see evidence of an accumulative total.
Hence my question.

As per the article, it certainly seems the case.
I must be missing something.
Being Aussie, and therefore not involved in the beta, isn't helping. ;)
But I still like to try and get involved, and keep on top of these things. :cheers:

Last edited:
KoolAid makes me sick, Slim. I later read your 'recant' but saw your replays of other racers and had to respond.

If it makes you feel any better, I will continue to be a GranTurismo player as long as PD keeps the dlc down to a minimum and the variety maxed. My future with them does not look very bright at the moment.

I can't tell, either. I moved from B to S on SR last night in 9 races, but my points for SR did not change.

EDK
I can't tell, either. I moved from B to S on SR last night in 9 races, but my points for SR did not change.
I've just looked into it and... they did... kinda.

There's a leaderboard for each day. You got 19pt on May 10th for your SR/DR scores, 19pt on May 11th for your SR/DR scores and 19pt on May 12th for your SR/DR scores. That puts you on 57pt.

@Jordan has 43pt (12, 16, 15), @sems4arsenal has 37pt (-, 18, 19) and the nearest challenge, Matt Kato, has 33pt (14, 10, 9).

Which means I'm kinda boned as our Media Cup has its own leaderboard, started on Wednesday, but I didn't get a code until Thursday afternoon and was out of the country anyway over Thursday and Friday. Our leader is Matt Joy on 56pt (20, 19, 17) and I have no way of catching him with just today and tomorrow. I wouldn't have even if I had yesterday to do it too.

I'm glad this is as straight forward as the news article says it is HAHA
Aside from the fact they're scoring it as 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for the top ten places, rather than the 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1 we were told, it is.

Aside from the fact they're scoring it as 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for the top ten places, rather than the 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1 we were told, it is.

Why aren't you in the rankings?

Is this DR/SR that translates to points?

Back