The Gran Turismo Sport Media Cup Has Begun, and GTPlanet is Taking Part

Looks like a points system based on SR and DR scores. Don't see any timed laps or race events.

These drivers will be racing amongst the rest of the existing beta testers to achieve their best possible Driver and Sportsmanship Ratings. The top ten drivers in both categories will be scored, and the combined total will be used for rankings.

Link to Current Standings (GTP first and fourth overall as of this post :gtpflag:)

Yeah... this is just so boring and glorified and typical... because every other sim developer is also holding a custom tournament for top media reps... <----(Sarcasm:rolleyes:)

Yeah... this is just so boring and glorified and typical... because every other sim developer is also holding a custom tournament for top media reps... <----(Sarcasm:rolleyes:)
Kunos went one step further and had the media drive both virtual and real cars, in a media event held at their home track of Vallelunga. SMS had a similar media day at Brands Hatch. PD didn't invent the wheel here.

Kunos went one step further and had the media drive both virtual and real cars, in a media event held at their home track of Vallelunga. SMS had a similar media day at Brands Hatch. PD didn't invent the wheel here.

So this has happened how many times, on two or three other occasions? And PD has opened the doors to careers in motorsports to how many GT gamers through GT Academy? They didn't invent the wheel, but these exclusive media contests don't just happen every day. This is exciting - could be signs of an annual media tournament - or signs of other PD/FIA sponsored tournaments in GT Sport.

Or maybe they did invent the wheel with racing sims... I dunno... GT1 on PS1?

EDK
I'm on top of the ranking boards now with plans to take part as much as I can on Saturday.

Wish me luck, guys. 👍
Luck! Is it the same format as the existing beta? Are you just participating in the same races? Or a special section of the game only those participating in the cup can see?

Luck! Is it the same format as the existing beta? Are you just participating in the same races? Or a special section of the game only those participating in the cup can see?
We were told more races, starting yesterday. I don't see them yet. Times seemed set to EU, guessing we may still see races for this on the weekend.

Will let you guys know if I see more. 👍

Last edited:
EDK
I'm on top of the ranking boards now with plans to take part as much as I can on Saturday.

Wish me luck, guys. 👍

Good luck dude! Make sure you tell us all about it.

Really? You probably need to look at your racing game history a little closer. GT1 wasn't even the first sim on PS1.

And before that we had these two.

Plenty others before that as well. The world of racing games does not begin and end at GT.

I think it's cool that PD have this event running for the media. Would have preferred it if we could have all been involved. However, lets not make this out to be some fantastic extra special thing that PD have done because it's not.

Last edited:
First I've heard of it. :P

It seems to be a small comp. for staff members of game media outlets involved in the beta.
A marketing ploy I guess, giving them something to promote the game on their respective websites.
Which is a cool idea.

A few interesting things I've noted.
5 days of racing.
And the point spread and ranking, even though many are in the same class.
Most prominent in the SR ranks, where even though 2nd to 11th are all B class, yet they are ranked in some order with a point spread of 9 down to 1.

I wonder if that's proof of an underlying points system behind the alpha classes, or if it's simply judged on which person reaches that class first time-wise?

Anyway, it seems the challenge is to hold the highest DR and SR rank at the end of day 5 to take home the title.

Best of luck to all participating. :cheers:

So this has happened how many times, on two or three other occasions? And PD has opened the doors to careers in motorsports to how many GT gamers through GT Academy? They didn't invent the wheel, but these exclusive media contests don't just happen every day. This is exciting - could be signs of an annual media tournament - or signs of other PD/FIA sponsored tournaments in GT Sport.

You inferred whether other developers were doing something similar. They have. So now the goalposts move to how many? GTAcademy is a Nissan sponsored event, and the drivers are ultimately trained by Nissan. GT is simply the platform to get into the training program. Any decent sim would have worked just as well at sorting the drivers. If you know sim racing at all, you'll note that most or all of the top sim pilots I'm aware of, play multiple games and often on multiple platforms.

I think what I meant by "glorified test" is that this media competition is only to test GT Sport's servers for future events. Somehow this thread devolved into who made the first racing sim? I'm confused.

Good luck dude! Make sure you tell us all about it.

Really? You probably need to look at your racing game history a little closer. GT1 wasn't even the first sim on PS1.

And before that we had these two.

Plenty others before that as well. The world of racing games does not begin and end at GT.

I think it's cool that PD have this event running for the media. Would have preferred it if we could have all been involved. However, lets not make this out to be some fantastic extra special thing that PD have done because it's not.

Very nice history and a strong statement on my part:cheers: that wasn't meant to be taken as fact, but to toot the horn of PD. GT on PS1 did not invent the wheel - but it sure did decide to put some rubber on it, and maybe make it out of lightweight durable metal, and poke holes in it to make it lighter:sly:.

Back