The Grand Tour Game Will Use rFactor's Physics Engine

Well I was expecting it to be rubbish on the physics side, but that definitely shakes things up a bit. I guess they will make it much more arkade-y but now I am interested :)

I played it at LAAS last week and it felt like a Wii game. It felt awful, I’m not looking forward to it unless it undergoes major changes late in development.

How they expected us to believe it uses the rFactor physics engine after watching this video is beyond my understanding

I understand they might be dumbed down for the average console users and non sim racers, but this is just ridiculous.

I want to remind everyone that I've seen and created enough mods to know you can make unrealistic physics regardless of the engine. Just think about the f zero mod for assetto corsa or the granny or the noddy car mod in rfactor. There is no validation in the ini files to stop you from creating a monster so if you think rfactor engine=realism or sim racer then that may not be the case, they can certainly manipulate it into feeling like a horizon game or nfs.

I want to remind everyone that I've seen and created enough mods to know you can make unrealistic physics regardless of the engine. Just think about the f zero mod for assetto corsa or the granny or the noddy car mod in rfactor. There is no validation in the ini files to stop you from creating a monster so if you think rfactor engine=realism or sim racer then that may not be the case, they can certainly manipulate it into feeling like a horizon game or nfs.

I fully agree, but the thing is, in the interview they stated that they had help from the rFactor developers. Why would they settle on such a horrible physics interpretation? I understand this game is not Assetto Corsa or rFactor, but it's hugely disappointing to see that it could have been much better and they settled on pretty much mobile game physics.

I fully agree, but the thing is, in the interview they stated that they had help from the rFactor developers. Why would they settle on such a horrible physics interpretation? I understand this game is not Assetto Corsa or rFactor, but it's hugely disappointing to see that it could have been much better and they settled on pretty much mobile game physics.

They probably asked rFactor devs help for basic stuff with the physics engine,then they dumbed it down to the point anyone can play the game.

I think they need the money, rfactor 2 isnt all that successful in total sales and licensing costs arent getting any cheaper. I think its a reasonably easy deal for them.

i still expect it to be a phone game for consoles. I translated " we use the Rfactor phisics engine" to "we got the Rfactor team putting together something playable". We'll see.

How they expected us to believe it uses the rFactor physics engine after watching this video is beyond my understanding

I understand they might be dumbed down for the average console users and non sim racers, but this is just ridiculous.

Just because it uses the same physics engine doesn't instantly mean it has the same physics... :banghead:

Regardless of engine it is a novelty racer with lame jokes that you will play once. If it is cheap enough or there is a deal via amazon for money off for prime subscribers then people will play it.

This. Also don't forget rFactor also has auto brake and auto steer driving aids available. If you turn that on and TCS/ABS/ASM then the car pretty much drives itself :lol:

I think they just went for the cheapest game engine that has good track record for driving games already instead of building their own in Unity or Unreal. Smart move, saves time and money. IMO the good thing from all this is if the game ever comes to PC, then you know the modders will be able to dial up the simulation value in no time. Alternatively, some of the game's assets could be easily ported to other sims like AC (though we have a quite good version of Eboladrome already).

If it's on sale for like $10 I might take a look just for lulz, but otherwise I'll stick to watching the show thanks. It pains me that such a talented dev like Craig Sullivan is wasted on drivel like this when he created such masterpieces like Burnout Paradise. If only EA didn't ruin Criterion...

Just because it uses the same physics engine doesn't instantly mean it has the same physics... :banghead:

Well it should since it seems to be what's being implyed. Obviously given the video, something is a miss. There is nothing even sim-ish about it, nevermind rfactor physics.

Did you even read the interview? Implying in an interview and boasting that it has the same rFactor physics engine while showing a game which handles like asphalt 8 does not make sense either. :dopey:

If Kunos was written in the article I would not expect them to say it has AC's physics engine, while it handled like that in the video. Just because they didn't necessarily 'say' it has rFactor's physics doesn't mean people won't expect it to at least handle like a normal racing game. I'm just hoping the physics will be fun to use at this stage, seeing as we can drop any chance of realism down the toilet in the physics department.

Last edited:
Back