The Graphics

Forza 3 has more realistically detailed graphics for the track environments...However, GT5's car models, interior and exterior, simply poop on FM3's...the way the lighting and reflections look on the cars is really spectacular. If you see any of this ANY other way, you're a fanboy of one of these games

I have Forza 3 and agree with FozzyFan. I do think this GT5 demo has improved the anti-aliasing issues a bit from GT5P which is where GT was obviously worse than Forza 3 before. Now anti-aliasing is similar between the two. Other than that, Forza 3 has better background scenery - e.g. comparing Forza 3 Suzuka and GT5P Suzuka although then looking at real life video of Suzuka shows GT5P to be more realistic - I think the Forza 3 guys have added scenery to make it prettier!

The amount of Polyphony Digital lovers here astonishes me. To all the people who find it necessary to defend GT till death, grow up.

Anyone with or without a brain should be able to tell Forza 3 looks better than the GT Academy Demo. Just look at the comparisons.

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=2695&fk=131122&opv=gal&page=1&order=&aid=0

Some of you are even going as far to say the GT Academy Demo is the best looking sim across ALL systems. Grow up please. I have nothing but very high expectations from PD. Average graphics for an exclusive racer thats been in development for 5 years is definitely something worth complaining about.

Sorry to put you guys on blast like that but I needed some examples.

Yeah sure... We can do that too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3962248174_6a333aa2e0_o.jpg

Next time compare GT to real life, not to a different game on a different track. Can you explain why prologue looks better than the GT academy demo in a lot of respects? Well small filesize for one, cars take up around 15-20MB of space, and the Forza 3 demo was over a GB with what around 30 cars? The environment on the GT5 demo is a very plain track, but i still think they dumbed it down to reduce the download size.

The amount of Polyphony Digital lovers here astonishes me. To all the people who find it necessary to defend GT till death, grow up.

Anyone with or without a brain should be able to tell Forza 3 looks better than the GT Academy Demo. Just look at the comparisons.

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=2695&fk=131122&opv=gal&page=1&order=&aid=0

Some of you are even going as far to say the GT Academy Demo is the best looking sim across ALL systems. Grow up please. I have nothing but very high expectations from PD. Average graphics for an exclusive racer thats been in development for 5 years is definitely something worth complaining about.

Sorry to put you guys on blast like that but I needed some examples.

I ask the same of you sir. I'm not the spoiled brat crying "I want more!". I'm certainly not "defending GT till death" also. I'm giving them credit where credit is due. You come here and say something that makes sense and I'll agree with you.

Pretty much the only thing that is significantly better in Forza is grass. Would I call it the better looking? Hardly. The cockpit is awful, the lighting is game-like while the lighting in GT is realistic. The reflections in GT are also more realistic and I could go on. No, GT looks better, even though not by much.

You think GT should be even better? Great, I think so too and I certainly would love it to but I'm afraid what you ask is impossible.

Forza 3 has more realistically detailed graphics for the track environments...However, GT5's car models, interior and exterior, simply poop on FM3's...the way the lighting and reflections look on the cars is really spectacular. If you see any of this ANY other way, you're a fanboy of one of these games

You see, that makes sense. Although I do think GT environments look more realistic mostly due to lighting, contrast and colors, Forza's are certainly more detailed. I think they screwed up giving them that gamey look but they are more detailed indeed.

"Saying its Dx11 really just means its using the cutting edge technology."

Look, I'm a gigantic nerd, I know this. My point was that it's a pc game with huge production values behind it, pushing the latest tech.

Thing is, they WANT gt5 to be the best looking because they have been waiting for it for so long. You could show them a photo and GT5 and they will tell you the photo is "all wrong", "has more jaggies" and that the "car isn't accurate enough". It's to be expected really. This is all very much like before GT4 came out...

I thought the car models in both looked fantastic, Forza looks better because there is a lot more detail, fancy effects etc that are missing from GT, but there you go, I'm a flopza fanboy etc. I do think the dash in GT looks more realistic (as in close to the real thing) but are spoiled by the stair-case shadows that splash across it.

BTW isn't it funny how if a racing game that is not GT omits anything, it's ridiculed, yet GT has a free pass. "I'm playing a racing game, not a...a...reverse light sim".

Sure I want GT to be the best looking game but that doesn't mean I'm blind to what other games have to offer. Hell I'm a graphics junkie, give me a game with better graphics and I'm sold. The main reason I'm defending GT is because it looks real while other games look like games. That's incredible. It's also doing what other games need a high end PC to do, in a PS3. That makes it even more awesome. GT got me, not because it is GT like most seem to think, but because what was achieved in this game is amazing.

And I do think it's funny how people around here give GT a free pass to almost anything. It doesn't go without a reason though. You mean its pretty much the same thing for a game to have about 30 or so non-functional dashboards and another to lack reverse lights? The things GT lack are small details that would hardly add to the game while other games are lacking in fundamental areas. You tell me GT should have reverse lights I say: "Of course!". You tell me it's ridiculous GT not having reverse lights and I say ":lol:".

Last edited:
Yeah sure... We can do that too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3962248174_6a333aa2e0_o.jpg

Next time compare GT to real life, not to a different game on a different track. Can you explain why prologue looks better than the GT academy demo in a lot of respects? Well small filesize for one, cars take up around 15-20MB of space, and the Forza 3 demo was over a GB with what around 30 cars? The environment on the GT5 demo is a very plain track, but i still think they dumbed it down to reduce the download size.

The difference between the cockpits is huge. The R8 interior looks pretty poor when compared to GT's. The GT version even looks Audi inside. The difference between the car models is huge, too. The shot of the two R8s (or is the Forza one an R10?) from chase-cam says everthing. Forza 3 does have more detailed environments, however, but they don't look as realistic due to the colour palette.

Does the demo also have the full GT5P soundtrack? That could also cut into the size of the demo with a soundtrack being about 50-75MB, also is there tire smoke?, obviously its a stripped down GT5 meant for the time trials, it even says so in the disclaimer when you start up the game.

I've played the time trail challenge a few more times since I last posted, and I am grudgingly willing to accept that it is a demo of GT5 that DOES NOT represent the finished product, though I'm still left wondering.

I've been playing games for nigh on 30 years now, and I have a back catalogue of demos for games stretching as far back as the PS1. Never in any instance, have I ever found a demo that is vastly different to the finished product, and certainly never as vastly different as this one, as some are clamining here.

I have faith, though it is starting to waiver a little, that the finished product WILL be different to the demo, but PD and Sony are not helping with these tedious bluffs. KY claimed that he could release GT5 at any time back in October, so why are we still wating for the game? Why also is the demo not more substantial? Sure it is only a time trial challenge, but as a token of good will, for the years we have had to wait, PD could of based the actual time trial challenge on GT5, and not what we have been presented with.

Finally, to allay any concerns that us loyal fans have about the game, PD could of simultaneously released a video of ACTUAL GT5 gameplay at the same time that they released this demo, but as usual, they persist in leaving us guessing about what the actual game may be like.

So far PD have been keeping everything and anything to do with GT5 well under wraps, IMO in the release of GT academy they're continuing to do so to give away as little as possible of the full game. The purpose of most game demos is to give an impression of what the full game will be like, that is not the purpose of GT academy.

I seriously think that most of whiners didn't played TT or Prologue and they base their opinions on youtube videos.

Indianapolis is bland as hell IRL so no wonder that it's bland in game...

London track in Prologue destroy every track in therm of graphic in any other console/PC game.

And here is toscany featured in full GT5 ...

2zhjmt3.jpg

I seriously state that everyone complaining about graphic need to doctor FAST.

And comparition to Forza is just .. .. ..

ok facts:

16 cars vs 8
twice as much resolution
200k cars vs 150 k cars
full interiors vs part of interiors
realistic lightning vs standard

i can go on based only on GT5P

Also Dirt with DX11 isn't any better with DX9 or DX10. And it still looks like a game.

And if you still want to go on with your whine:

Please tell me is there any track in any other game that look better than London ? If you find one post it here or make a new thread. But you won't find any...

942026_20080220_screen019.jpg

granturismo5-prologue.jpg

1824235390.jpg

Last edited:
I think the biggest flaw is resolution. Not 1080p but the picture resolution on the track, scenery, grass and objects. They just seem really low res and soft. I know you showed prologue was prettier in the other screenshots, but if we go back to these ones it is clear forza is more detailed.

That video won't load for me. I'm telling you, if you're in a replay, and you press X so that you're on the bumper/chase cam (not the fancy movie-style camera), then press the change view button, it'll change to an in-car camera.
It might be R1 for you.
I'm not talking about the cockpit view, I'm talking about this
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2498/4185557809_042b53158e_o.png
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4186315112_99b2bdf2ce_o.png

4 people replied and said they dont have it either (it should appear during replays with the cinematic camera) so I believe the answer is no, only the press had it...

The "proof" that the time trial demo does NOT express the soul of the full game is the lack of smoke effects in the replay. That's pretty much screams "WORK IN PROGRESS" :) Even if this was exactly how the game will be I would only be a little annoyed by some small things. It would still be the best game yet for PS3.

smoke is in gameplay but no in replay,

Also we didn't get this fancy new camera.

In my opinion to perfectionism it only need super AA.

BTW anybody wonder how will look like GT7 on PS4 ? OO.oo ? Maybe like K-sig raytraced.. :)

If you thought the demo looked a lot like Prologue, your eyes weren’t deceiving you. Indeed, their test results showed nearly identical performance,
From the main page, apparently some guys that do actual tests on this stuff think they look the same just like me.
What this means is, GT5P and the demo, and likely GT5 will all look the same, which is massively better than Forza, which looks like wash left out in the sun to long.

Yes you are.

You were asking how to get the cockpit view. :|

No he asked about fancy new camera from inside in replays. There is only standard cockpit view with no camera on driver showe on many sites (diffrent v of game for press).

No he asked about fancy new camera from inside in replays. There is only standard cockpit view with no camera on driver showe on many sites (diffrent v of game for press).

Agree, and that might be the case. I couldn't find this camera view from watching replay either.

There's one thing I can't understand: Why I see the sky in the central mirror? (inside view)... Can I adjust it to my size? XD

Hopefully with the full gt5 they'll add a cinematic camera inside watching the player doing the action. I would like to see more interior views of the car.

I think the biggest flaw is resolution. Not 1080p but the picture resolution on the track, scenery, grass and objects. They just seem really low res and soft. I know you showed prologue was prettier in the other screenshots, but if we go back to these ones it is clear forza is more detailed.

Yea i agree. I think that all of the details was there but there's not that much quality as GT5P. The TT demo was probably an early build dealing with the physics for PD to decide maybe whether they should include this in the final release. And they allow the public to test it out later maybe.

Hopefully with the full gt5 they'll add a cinematic camera inside watching the player doing the action. I would like to see more interior views of the car.

I'd rather see an interior view that doesn't block off all side view. I can look out my drivers or passengers side window to line up a sharp enough corner, irl, but in GT5P and this demo, you just can't see down there, or over there.
In fact, I'd prefer the graphics of what I normally see out my window to picture-perfect interiors.

He said there was no cockpit view, I quoted him saying it. Pay attention.

1080p is too high for this generation. GT still manages quite well despite :) i would trade 1080p for Pacejka physics though.

Maybe I was the only guy that was looking towards the demo and expecting to see a glimmer of GT5 in there somewhere. Come on! If EVERYONE were being honest with themselves, they would be saying the exact same thing.

I'm a #1 GT fan as the rest of you guys are, but I'm not blind! Yes the time trial challenge is a demo, but surely it should of been a demo of the actual game, not some mocked-up something that doesnt relate to the final game. PD owed it to us loyal fans to at least deliver a pant-wetting demo, in some ways to say thanks for the patience, but they failed miserably to do that.

Its getting to the point now that I am expecting no less than an epiphany when I place that hallowed GT5 blu-ray in my PS3. Shortly after I start the game, the doorbell will ring, and as I open the door, I will be bathed in warm light, with a host of angels standing on my driveway singing 'Hossanah!', as a gentle mist rolls over my doorstep.

A gliimer will catch my eyes in the distance, as I watch in awe as the Angel Gabriel swoops down from the heavens to land gracefully right infront of me. 'Michael' the Angel will say, 'The father, Son and the Holy Ghost, humbly request a lan party!' as he points off into the distance. Following his gesture, I will see the stairway to heaven, and three figures casually walking down towards me, each with a PS3 under one arm, and a HD monitor under the other.

The eldest of the three, will kneel before me, and say, 'With compliments from Sony and Polophony Digital'. The youngest will step forward and say to me 'Go easy mate, I've got bad hands!', I laugh, and invite them in for a heavenly session of GT5!

Back