The Great Camber Experiment: Stage 1 "High Speed Ring" (closed/finished/ended)

• Thread starter DolHaus
  • 389 comments
Hello all. Time for my third set of results. I would have had these and another couple of sets done by now, but truth be told....I started to do them on Friday morning and was seemingly in Sunday drive mode, running mid 1:06s:odd:. So I ran away and did a few Seasonal A-Specs. Sorry, I needed my fix. Feeling much better now. :lol:

Data for test 3.
Car:
Jaguar XKR-S '11
Track: High Speed Ring.

Camber set at: 2.0/2.0

Lap Time: 1:05.073

Lateral G-Force Max Peak Load.

Turn 1: 2.47 G (174.1 mph)
Turn 2: 2.66 G (120.6 mph)
Turn 3: -2.04 G (80.0 mph)
Turn 4: 1.95 G (73.8 mph)
Turn 5: 2.48 G (127.7mph)

Longitudinal G-Force Max Peak Load.

Turn 1: N/A
Turn 2: -2.46 G
Turn 3: -1.95 G
Turn 4: -1.73 G
Turn 5: -1.80 G

Notes: The car was fun, suited me a lot better like this and was by far the most consistent in terms of both clean laps and lap-times too. This was lap 4 of 12 lap run. Just couldn't do any better with subsequent laps and still can't get 3/4 right at the same time.:banghead::lol:

Until next time :cheers:

And the next lot...

Data for test 4
Car: Jaguar XKR-S '11

Camber set at: 3.0/3.0

Lap Time: 1:05 334

Turn 1: 2.47 G (175.6 mph)
Turn 2: 2.50 G (114.6 mph)
Turn 3: -2.04 G (84.7 mph)
Turn 4: 2.02 G (84.0 mph)
Turn 5: 2.55 G (117.2 mph)

Longditudinal G-Force Max Peak Load.

Turn 2: -2.24 G
Turn 3: -1.90 G
Turn 4: -1.24 G
Turn 5: -1.94 G

Notes: Recorded on Lap 6 of 15. I was about 0.1 quicker on previous lap going into the last corner but mucked it up so lost a bit of momentum on the main straight. Car felt more stable and a bit less responsive than before.

Just did a quick test for the effect of camber on braking, (after loosing control a few times at camber 5/5 :dunce:, sorry about the dents and the missing hood on your XKR-s '11 :rolleyes:, I'll have my guys at the garage fix it up almost as new:tup:.)

Car: Civic '97
Tires: CM
ABS: 0
Speed: 149/150 kmh
Track: Indy
Procedure: on the straight line brake full at 150 kmh, repeated twice and took average. Used the data logger 'car speed /brakes/wheel speed to find the numbers.

Test 1 Camber 0/0
Front wheel lock occurs at 27 kmh,
Rear wheel lock doesn't happen.

Test 2 Camber 5/5
Front wheel lock occurs at 58 kmh 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎 :scared::mad:
Rear wheel lock doesn't occur, but I think it was getting close to it.

Also when starting back up from stand still it seemed that the front tires turned red faster with camber 5/5, but I haven't done a real test for this though, could be my subconscious making me want that running camber high is like putting bicycle wheels instead of car wheels :ouch:. BTW I just finished camber 6/6 👎 and 7/7 👎, might do a second run for all the camber levels to make sure that my results are legitimate. (will send the results as ASAP)

Data for test 2
Car:
Jaguar XKR-S '11
Camber set at: 1.0/1.0
Lap Time: 1:05.233

Turn 4:
-2.11 G
Can you double check this bit of data for me? It looks like you've read the lateral G rather than the longitudinal perhaps (over 1.5 G higher than average :confused:)

Cheers 👍

Just did a quick test for the effect of camber on braking, (after loosing control a few times at camber 5/5 :dunce:, sorry about the dents and the missing hood on your XKR-s '11 :rolleyes:, I'll have my guys at the garage fix it up almost as new:tup:.)

Car: Civic '97
Tires: CM
ABS: 0
Speed: 149/150 kmh
Track: Indy
Procedure: on the straight line brake full at 150 kmh, repeated twice and took average. Used the data logger 'car speed /brakes/wheel speed to find the numbers.

Test 1 Camber 0/0
Front wheel lock occurs at 27 kmh,
Rear wheel lock doesn't happen.

Test 2 Camber 5/5
Front wheel lock occurs at 58 kmh 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎 :scared::mad:
Rear wheel lock doesn't occur, but I think it was getting close to it.

Also when starting back up from stand still it seemed that the front tires turned red faster with camber 5/5, but I haven't done a real test for this though, could be my subconscious making me want that running camber high is like putting bicycle wheels instead of car wheels :ouch:. BTW I just finished camber 6/6 👎 and 7/7 👎, might do a second run for all the camber levels to make sure that my results are legitimate. (will send the results as ASAP)
I have tests planned for this in the future, lets try not to get ahead of ourselves :lol:

Can you double check this bit of data for me? It looks like you've read the lateral G rather than the longitudinal perhaps (over 1.5 G higher than average :confused:)

Cheers 👍

I have tests planned for this in the future, lets try not to get ahead of ourselves :lol:
Absolutely, will do. Don't want to be making silly mistakes like that. I'll get on it asap. Should have tests 5 and 6 done by the morning.
Don't know if I'm looking forward to driving the Jag on bicycle tyres :lol: but I suppose it's what I signed up for so forth I shall go.

Absolutely, will do. Don't want to be making silly mistakes like that. I'll get on it asap. Should have tests 5 and 6 done by the morning.
Don't know if I'm looking forward to driving the Jag on bicycle tyres :lol: but I suppose it's what I signed up for so forth I shall go.
Thank you 👍
Easy mistake to make, it just looks irregular compared to the other results and considering that its a braking figure it would suggest that you either hit a wall or braked REALLY hard to avoid hitting a deer :lol:

Nope, no walls and no deer....I did think I saw Elvis in a Marshall's uniform at turn 2. Turns out it was just this guy....
images

Not to worry, I'll double check I've not done anything :dunce:...with the data at least, on track there's a fairly good chance I did if my driving's anything to go by:dopey:

I did notice after looking back at the first few results that this one was a bit too high in places compared to the others, If I check the data and find it's the right figures I'll watch the replay and see if there is anything that can explain them, might even run the test again to make sure it's all above board. I'll be heading on soon, so I'll get that sorted out before I do anything else.👍

Nope, no walls and no deer....I did think I saw Elvis in a Marshall's uniform at turn 2. Turns out it was just this guy....
images

Not to worry, I'll double check I've not done anything :dunce:...with the data at least, on track there's a fairly good chance I did if my driving's anything to go by:dopey:

I did notice after looking back at the first few results that this one was a bit too high in places compared to the others, If I check the data and find it's the right figures I'll watch the replay and see if there is anything that can explain them, might even run the test again to make sure it's all above board. I'll be heading on soon, so I'll get that sorted out before I do anything else.👍
:lol:

It just struck me as out of place compared to the lap time and speeds, heavy braking at turn 4 would result in a drop in lap time and thats just not reflected. If you could just give it a quick look and see, the rest of your results are well within the expected range except for that one. 👍

Your looking at the g spikes and not the average cornering G's. The software will separate min max and average for each corner, it makes things a bit more clear. Just an FYI because the spikes are just spikes and not sustained.

what to look for.png

The average G's gives you a marker for more or less. A snap of this at least should be posted with each set of results to confirm them and have them all together to compare.

Last edited:
Your looking at the g spikes and not the average cornering G's. The software will separate min max and average for each corner, it makes things a bit more clear. Just an FYI because the spikes are just spikes and not sustained.

View attachment 265808

The average G's gives you a marker for more or less. A snap of this at least should be posted with each set of results to confirm them and have them all together to compare.
I agree that an average might give a more accurate representation of the forces involved and may lead to a better understanding of what is going on. Would you mind writing a brief "how to" on how you got those average figures?

This is new territory for me and for the majority of the GT crowd so I'm not completely aware of what the software is capable of or how it can be best used.

When you read up on cars pulling cornering G's skid pad g's and stuff, its always the average G's they report and never the spikes as spikes can throw off usable results. If you look at the testing that's been done so far only noting the spikes, they seem to go all over the place and don't show really usable or comparable information.

On the Channel Report Tab right click inside the report box and select properties. In the bottom box marked "Channels" you should see Engine RPM. Next to the box is a button marked "Add" then select lateral G's and cornering speed.

In the channel box you can add a check to average for cornering g's and a check to min and max for cornering speeds.

I have it set up for min and max speed with the average g's I don't display the rpm.

You can get crazy and really customize the layout

dddd 22.png

Last edited:
Santa's left some early present in your mail box

View attachment 265825 camber tests 6/6 to 10/10, :sly:
I'll give them a look in the morning 👍

When you read up on cars pulling cornering G's skid pad g's and stuff, its always the average G's they report and never the spikes as spikes can throw off usable results. If you look at the testing that's been done so far only noting the spikes, they seem to go all over the place and don't show really usable or comparable information.

On the Channel Report Tab right click inside the report box and select properties. In the bottom box marked "Channels" you should see Engine RPM. Next to the box is a button marked "Add" then select lateral G's

In the channel box you can add a check to average

I have it set up for min and max speed with the average g's I dont display the rpm.
Thank you, I will have a look tomorrow and compare the data to see what else it shows.
I'm aware that peaks can yield erroneous results, I've been trying to keep this to a minimum by asking testers to exclude any data where they bounced off the walls or any other situation where they might be adding peak load outside of the tyres capabilities.
Luckily the data can be saved and re-examined if needs be so there will (hopefully :nervous:) be no need for repeated testing 👍

Cheers 👍

Looks like driver error to me.:dopey: The results that are recorded and shown are correct.
I checked the replay and found I was very,very close to the left edge of the track as a result of giving it too much beans coming out of 3. Slammed on the anchors to get the car stopped and turned and squared off the corner. It turns out, I did lose time too, I checked the replay I was using as a ghost at the time and I made up pretty much all of the time in turns 2 and 5 on that run with a big concertina going on between the two replays on the datalogger in turns 3 and 4. I ran the test again to be safe and have the data for that lap saved analysed and ready to go if you'd rather use that one. I'll send it via PM so you can check it out. If you decide it's a better one to use let me know and I'll edit the original post with the new results. Lap-time was slower though but not by much:(

Firstly, I know there's rules about double posting. Sorry Mods, but as this is data from test results which do belong here I hope you will forgive my transgression this time:bowdown::D

Secondly, Here's test number 5's results.

Data for test

Camber set at: 4.0/4.0

Lap Time: 1:05.879

Turn 1: 2.52 G (175.4 mph)
Turn 2: 2.41 G (111.7 mph)
Turn 3: -2.06 G (78.8 mph)
Turn 4: 1.95 G (74.3 mph)
Turn 5: 2.32 G (114.4 mph)

Turn 2: -2.35 G
Turn 3: -1.86 G
Turn 4: -1.67 G
Turn 5: -1.68 G

Notes: This was not the fastest lap I got during the test but it is the fastest clean lap I got:(. On this lap I was down on speed on the main straight and arrived at the first turn (Apex) pretty much bumper to bumper with my ghost (Laptime for ghost 1:05.690 from aborted test 4 session.) I had a moment in turn 5 where I thought I'd be riding up on the high curb (wasted so many flying laps with that one.) so just eased off a smidgen. Finished the lap about a tenth slower than the fastest one. I ran another half dozen laps after this and couldn't improve(Without hitting curbs:banghead:) on the time. So I called it a day and set up the next one.

It's getting feisty...

...And number 6...

Data for test

Camber set at: 5.0/5.0

Lap Time: 1:06.067

Turn 1: 2.35 G (175.7 mph)
Turn 2: 2.17 G (107.4 mph)
Turn 3: -1.97 G (82.5 mph)
Turn 4: 2.04 G ( 75.9 mph)
Turn 5: 2.34 G (118.7 mph)

Turn 2: -2.32 G
Turn 3: -1.85 G
Turn 4: -1.58 G
Turn 5: -1.86 G

Notes: Not too bad a lap I suppose (For driving on bicycle tyres:lol:)...truth be told it was one of only 7 clean lap from 20 (Lap 12) :guilty:. Well, I never claimed to be good at this stuff, but at least I try.:)
Clean laps ranged from this one to 1:06.484. Best Red Lap was 1:06.201 and I only lost it in the last corner twice...and the second corner a few times.... Oh, and once coming out of turn 1....Yes, the easy one, I know:lol: On the plus side turns 3 and 4 were pretty consistent for once, :D

Disclaimer: I actually recorded a Peak Lateral G Load of 2.56 @ 132.7 mph in turn 5, but this was due to a little wobble in the entry phase of the corner as I let off the brakes (a little early:dunce:). I've entered the data in the sheet of 2.34 G @ 118.7mph as this was the Peak Lateral G Load mid-corner. I'm sure this was the more appropriate figure to include but I thought you should be aware of both.

I'm off to get some sleep now, with any luck I come back later and someone else will have replied so I don't have 4 posts in a row......the Mods will have me for lunch:nervous::lol:

Take it easy fellas!:cheers:

...And number 6...

Data for test
Car:
Jaguar XKR-S '11

Camber set at: 5.0/5.0

Lap Time: 1:06.067

Turn 1: 2.35 G (175.7 mph)
Turn 2: 2.17 G (107.4 mph)
Turn 3: -1.97 G (82.5 mph)
Turn 4: 2.04 G ( 75.9 mph)
Turn 5: 2.34 G (118.7 mph)

Turn 2: -2.32 G
Turn 3: -1.85 G
Turn 4: -1.58 G
Turn 5: -1.86 G

Notes: Not too bad a lap I suppose (For driving on bicycle tyres:lol:)...truth be told it was one of only 7 clean lap from 20 (Lap 12) :guilty:. Well, I never claimed to be good at this stuff, but at least I try.:)
Clean laps ranged from this one to 1:06.484. Best Red Lap was 1:06.201 and I only lost it in the last corner twice...and the second corner a few times.... Oh, and once coming out of turn 1....Yes, the easy one, I know:lol: On the plus side turns 3 and 4 were pretty consistent for once, :D

Disclaimer: I actually recorded a Peak Lateral G Load of 2.56 @ 132.7 mph in turn 5, but this was due to a little wobble in the entry phase of the corner as I let off the brakes (a little early:dunce:). I've entered the data in the sheet of 2.34 G @ 118.7mph as this was the Peak Lateral G Load mid-corner. I'm sure this was the more appropriate figure to include but I thought you should be aware of both.

I'm off to get some sleep now, with any luck I come back later and someone else will have replied so I don't have 4 posts in a row......the Mods will have me for lunch:nervous::lol:

Take it easy fellas!:cheers:
Nice work man 👍, and don't worry I've got your back covered :nervous:, you won't have 4 posts in a row.

as I was looking at this thread a song by Peter,Paul & Mary came to my mind, but the words were changed to:

Where Have All The Tuners (Flowers)Gone
Where have all the tuners gone, long time passing?
Where have all the tuners gone, long time ago?
Where have all the tuners gone?
Young cars have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn? :lol:

Nice work man 👍, and don't worry I've got your back covered :nervous:, you won't have 4 posts in a row.

as I was looking at this thread a song by Peter,Paul & Mary came to my mind, but the words were changed to:

Where Have All The Tuners (Flowers)Gone
Where have all the tuners gone, long time passing?
Where have all the tuners gone, long time ago?
Where have all the tuners gone?
Young cars have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn? :lol:
Nice one my good man.👍 :cheers:

And nice song, don't know if I've heard that version yet. You planning to take the charts by storm with it this Christmas? Better have "Puff the Rabid Dragon" on the B-Side (Do you even get B-Sides any more?) or you're not getting my cash:lol:

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. And by that I mean of course, it's time for test number 7's results.

Data for test

Camber set at: 6.0/6.0

Lap Time: 1:06.232

Turn 1: 2.44 G (172.5 mph)
Turn 2: 2.32 G (109.7 mph)
Turn 3: -2.00 G (83.8 mph)
Turn 4: 2.17 G (81.6 mph)
Turn 5: 2.50 G (116.8 mph)

Turn 2: -2.19 G
Turn 3: -1.83 G
Turn 4: -1.63 G
Turn 5: -1.63 G

Notes: Well isn't this a strange one. I had expected to spend most of this run facing backwards but in the end I did 15 laps and only messed up one by spinning out in the last turn, 14 clean...ish laps fortunately the fastest one didn't involve running up on curbs or hitting walls....First time for everything, right?! So a quick test by all accounts and a pretty consistent one too Ave. lap was 1:06.4 ish, running mostly 1:06.3s (6 of them) and two in the 1:06.2s. We'll that's if we knock off the mark from the French judge (1:09.383 Red Lap)

My biggest observation about this run was when analysing the Data on Motec, How spikey the G meter readings were.
The car seemed to be skipping through the corners and this was I think pretty much confirmed on Motec, By the feel of it the tyres would grip, slip, grip, slip, grip, slip, grip right through the turns even with a consistent(ish) steering angle. And that's what the graphs looked like, I counted 23 seperate peaks in Lateral G load even though the steering angle was pretty much pinned at 39% and the throttle wide open for most of it. The Longitudinal G load had a similar pattern too although these were nowhere near as extreme as the Lateral loads.

I shall return with more later Ladies and Gents.

Until then:cheers:

Woaw, woaw, woaw....where'd the brakes go?

The results are in for test 8, can you guess what this is going to say?

Data for test

Camber set at: 7.0/7.0

Lap Time: 1:06.576

Turn 1: 2.26 G (175.4 mph)
Turn 2: 2.44 G (114.8 mph)
Turn 3: -2.05 G (81.4 mph)
Turn 4: 2.09 G (82.4 mph)
Turn 5: 2.48 G (111.8 mph)

Turn 2: -2.31 G
Turn 3: -2.16 G
Turn 4: -1.71 G
Turn 5: -1.66 G

Notes: Well this was a strange one wasn't it!? There didn't seem to be quite so much searching for grip here from the tyres as there was in the 6.0/6.0 test (mostly because they just gave up.), and the graphs on Motec support that somewhat, with far less spiking going on.
I used the ghost from the 6.0/6.0 test for comparison and was actually ahead of it until mid turn 3(Seems to like the banked 1st turn ) when it started to edge ahead, I stayed pretty much on it's tail through turn 4 and Straight 4-5 then it just left me for dust in the final corner and off into the distance it went.
The next one should be fun.:nervous:

Batch one 0.0 camber
XKR-S HSR Tune provided by @DolHaus tune here

All speed is in km/h

0.0/0.0 Camber

Lap Time 1:07.433

Turn 1

Speed Max 284.7 Min 257.5 Avg 272

Gforce Long Max 0.05 Min -0.28 Avg -0.19

Gforce Lat Max 2.48 Min 1.23 Avg 2.23

Turn 2

Speed Max188.6 Min 165.6 Avg 176

Gforce Long Max 0.45 Min -2.11 Avg -0.07

Gforce Lat Max 2.16 Min 0.05 Avg 1.66

Turn 3

Speed Max 189 Min 122.3 Avg 146

Gforce Long Max 0.84 Min -2.51 Avg -0.21

Gforce Lat Max -0.31 Min -2.20 Avg -1.59

Turn 4

Speed Max 164.2 Min 129 Avg 146.6

Gforce Long Max 1.12 Min -0.99 Avg 0.17

Gforce Lat Max 2.21 Min -0.31 Avg 1.69

Turn 5

Speed Max 208.6 Min 168.6 Avg 183

Gforce Long Max 0.53 Min -1.95 Avg 0.09

Gforce Lat Max 2.67 Min -0.00 Avg 1.67

I know this is more data than you asked for but with a suggettion to get the avgerage data I thought I would toss that in, and having the min is useful as well, tells if I had to slow more to the make the turn.

Last edited:
OK my keyboard started driving me nuts with it's double striking on some keys.
So made a Google sheets document, exported to clipboard and deleted the misc text from it and have a easy to read document showing all the min and max for the first 5 tests I've run.
Camber testing

I've started this test, but this test is flawed in a few ways.

First we have the track, specifically the banking. In every banked turn, there is progressive banking, meaning the banking on the low side is different from the high line, meaning changes in lateral G.

Lateral G will change depending on the line you run, invalidating the data.

Second, this car is not properly set up for this track. It's too low and soft, so it bottoms out in the corners and understeers like a dump truck when you put the throttle down. However once you take your foot off the gas it swings straight to oversteer.

This car is too powerful and unpredictable for us to discern changes in data caused by camber, which is why I believe all data so far has been all over the boards

Second, this car is not properly set up for this track. It's too low and soft, so it bottoms out in the corners and understeers like a dump truck when you put the throttle down. However once you take your foot off the gas it swings straight to oversteer.

This car is too powerful and unpredictable for us to discern changes in data caused by camber, which is why I believe all data so far has been all over the boards
Check the set up I've logged over 80 laps on this car and I've not had this problem at HSR and only had issues at Silverstone if I missed my mark its a very solid car.
The only other time it has problems is if you hit the grass or a curb.

I've started this test, but this test is flawed in a few ways.

First we have the track, specifically the banking. In every banked turn, there is progressive banking, meaning the banking on the low side is different from the high line, meaning changes in lateral G.

Lateral G will change depending on the line you run, invalidating the data.

The data has been consistent, I've checked the data logger and the car is nowhere near bottoming out unless you hit a curb at full speed and so far there have been no complaints regarding the cars handling characteristics.

I would advise that you check that the car is set up exactly as described and that you have all aids apart from ABS 1 turned off and grip set to real at the track. If that does not work then let me know and I will upload a video of a lap so you can cross reference it with your own to compare racing lines.

OK my keyboard started driving me nuts with it's double striking on some keys.
So made a Google sheets document, exported to clipboard and deleted the misc text from it and have a easy to read document showing all the min and max for the first 5 tests I've run.
Camber testing
Just one thing i don´t understand, or if i understand, this experience is not trustable.

Check the best laptime with camber 3.0 = 1;06.266
For example in turn 1 ( but i´ve checked the same any turn.)
Your medium speed in this turn is 171.3 mph
The medium G-force in this turn is 2.000

Check now the best laptime with camber 4.0 = 1:07.883
Still in turn 1
Your medium speed in this turn is 165.33 mph
The medium G-force in this turn is 2.143

What i want to say with this is:
If you have the best speed passing this corner with less medium force G
and a slower speed passing this corner with more medium force G
This mean that you haven´t reach the ideal driving line where the higher speed would be reached matching with the max medium G-force.
I think that you have to be more regular with your driving line and laptime to be able to compare those datas.

Or i´m wrong... ?? !! :ouch:
camber datas.jpg

Just one thing i don´t understand, or if i understand, this experience is not trustable.

Still in turn 1

This mean that you haven´t reach the ideal driving line where the higher speed would be reached matching with the max medium G-force.
I think that you have to be more regular with your driving line and laptime to be able to compare those datas.

View attachment 267555
The relationship between speed and load is not what is being looked at here, we are purely looking at the relationship between camber and peak load. There are always going to be small variances in the data, this cannot be avoided, this is why the data is being collected from multiple sources and averaged out to create a picture of how camber is affecting grip.

The important data is G-load, everything else (speed/time) is just bonus data that may or may not be of use in future experiments

Still in turn 1

View attachment 267555
I was following the follow from my best lap the car started understeer by out foci me to lift and slow the car and thus caused higher G load due to a higher line. I put down 20 laps on camber 4 and camber 5 each to get the times the car doesn't like the higher camber values and requires a different line to make the turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back