The Great Sounds of the Automotive World

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,403 comments
  • 122,708 views
 
^ That's truly incredible! :drool:

Even my non-car friends like it, and my car friends say it evokes quite some emotion 👍
 
With Le Mans coming up next week, I have to post these:





Finally, the C6 Corvette on test day last week.
 
 


I truly am a sucker for V10 F1 cars.
 
 
That HSV sounds utterly demonic. And when can I get a V6, rwd CR-Z??
 




EDIT:




 
Last edited:
Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Most of you on here have likely heard the Mazda 787B. It's a fabulously horrifying noise. The engine, of course, is a R26B 4 rotor. Now the engine in the 787B uses, for I presume packaging reasons, a header configuration that merges all four exhaust ports into one outlet. However, there exists another configuration. Mazda's IMSA GTO warriors also used the four rotor engine, but the exhaust had a 4-2 merge but didn't merge further, so that the system has two outlets. Without the second merge, the exhaust takes on a much more layered, lower pitched, and rich sound, rather than the typical scream we associate with the 787B. So here it is:

 
IMSA RX-7's are so cool :drool:

Skip to 5:33










 
^

Surprised you didn't post this one from motorsportvideo:

 
Eunos_Cosmo
Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Most of you on here have likely heard the Mazda 787B. It's a fabulously horrifying noise. The engine, of course, is a R26B 4 rotor. Now the engine in the 787B uses, for I presume packaging reasons, a header configuration that merges all four exhaust ports into one outlet. However, there exists another configuration. Mazda's IMSA GTO warriors also used the four rotor engine, but the exhaust had a 4-2 merge but didn't merge further, so that the system has two outlets. Without the second merge, the exhaust takes on a much more layered, lower pitched, and rich sound, rather than the typical scream we associate with the 787B. So here it is:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjmRy0OpK4">YouTube Link</a>

First thing that came to mind when I saw this thread title was the 787B. Idle sounds amazing.
 
 
I highly recommend subscribing to this YouTube channel.

 
Nice videos slashfan... Just out of curiosity how much weight is that '79 pulling?

 
Nice videos slashfan... Just out of curiosity how much weight is that '79 pulling?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VxausP2HA">YouTube Link</a>

Thanks but I'm not sure. I couldn't find the weight in the comments. Probably very high though.
 
Just out of curiosity how much weight is that '79 pulling?

Looks like a 20 (long) ton sled to me (around 45,000lbs). Pulling makes me laugh, the best way to pull something like that is to stick your tractor/4x4 in anti-stall and crawl along, not floor it.
 
Looks like a 20 (long) ton sled to me (around 45,000lbs). Pulling makes me laugh, the best way to pull something like that is to stick your tractor/4x4 in anti-stall and crawl along, not floor it.

I was thinking about 50,000 but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure. I figured that would be a good ballpark figure.

I was impressed he did it on 2 wheels all the way down the track.



EDIT:


This is totally unfair so don't comment on that but listen to dat Ford F-250 ROAR. YUMMY! That is what a real motor sounds like :lol: God I love it.


 
Last edited:
A lesser known, but very sonorous H6:




I'm convinced 6 cylinder engines are the best sounding piston engines.
 
That EFI Impreza sounds pretty incredible. Imagine hearing that and then seeing an Impreza fly past you!



Absolute filth. I want one!
 
More flat 6 buttery goodness:



Sounds like 1000 hand crafted German hammers.
 

It sounds really nice under deceleration, but is that distortion at high RPM's from the mic?

It sounds nice, and then it seems like the mic can't handle the sound.
 
There might be some, but that's simply the sound a highly tuned six cylinder engine with six individual throttles under full throttle. See this video of the BMW M1 for a similar sound:



The sound of the air being compressed into the intake trumpets is louder (from in the cabin) than the sound of the exhaust. My RX-7 is the same way. It's awesome.

It sounds a lot more distorted with speakers. Try some good headphones if you have some.
 
Last edited:
No distortion on the M1 vid, it sounds awesome.

It must just be the mic on the Porsche one.


Speaking of which, about a year ago I saw a GT3 RS 4.0 lapping at a track.
It sounded really nice, and VERY loud.

 
Back