The Great Sounds of the Automotive World

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,402 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Posted this video in the Pikes Peak thread yesterday, and it has inspired me to start a new thread.

Do you have any favorite videos that you have stumbled upon recently, that just make you :drool: ? These would be on-board videos for track cars, street cars on a track day, etc. Best thing about these videos is the sound. No music, nobody talking. Pure, beautiful racing sounds. Example below.

Post your favorites!

I saw that video and thought the same thing. It's aural heaven.

So here's my contribution. Cacklefest at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield in 2009. Nine minutes of pure blown Hemi joy.

JCE
This makes me have goosebumps all over...

Gah, I've been drooling over that video for quite some time now. Next purchase, terminator 'Stang.....

Bah, checked around and Terminators are going for nearly the price of a new 5.0 Mustang around here...

The Mustang Cobra's exhaust note sounds amazing, but I've never liked the whine of a supercharger. Certainly not one that loud. Better travelling away from you than towards you...

Gah, I've been drooling over that video for quite some time now. Next purchase, terminator 'Stang.....

Bah, checked around and Terminators are going for nearly the price of a new 5.0 Mustang around here...

I'd love to buy a Terminator...but the cost of one in the condition I'd want I can buy a decent used GT and convert the engine and supercharge it. Still...

The Mustang Cobra's exhaust note sounds amazing, but I've never liked the whine of a supercharger. Certainly not one that loud. Better travelling away from you than towards you...

The supercharger is actually my favorite thing about it. But even without forced induction that exhaust is just sick.

These are a few of my favorites.
E46 M3

There's only one problem with that CSL...straight pipes don't sound as good as a good tuned exhaust or even the stock. I cannot get into straight pipes...

Now this is a very nice sounding CSL with a good exhaust setup.

Something that I've always found surprising is just how different people's tastes are in engine notes. All of these, for example...

JCE

Dragsters

E46 M3
Porsche GT3

JCE

...sound terrible to me. JCE's CSL, in particular, reminds me strongly of that horrible, tinny, buzzy sound that you get in GT4 when you put a racing exhaust on an RX-7 :ill::

Meanwhile, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for some of my favorites, which include a large portion of VTEC engines as well as this gem, which has been posted but seemed to be ignored:

Then again, I also love some traditional favorites, like the BRM, the GT3 RS, and the more recent M1 video that everyone seems to have seen.

Also, doesn't this thread already exist?

Mine's only loosely a dragster - it's the Fireforce jet funny car, which doesn't really compete against anything. It's more an exhibition car. And I only posted it to add a wholly different engine to the mix.

If I was going for a drag car, I'd be posting this all-motor, road-legal V8:

Mine's only loosely a dragster - it's the Fireforce jet funny car, which doesn't really compete against anything. It's more an exhibition car. And I only posted it to add a wholly different engine to the mix.

Ah, love the '60s pro-stock-style launches. Wheels-up....

As for jet dragsters...they do race, sometimes, when there's more than one in a place at once, but usually in exhibition shows...

just for what possibly is the most extreme example of this ever...

What Ferrari V8s sound like...

And it's a Mopar 👍

I'll add Larry Dixon's 8000 horsepower Top Fuel Dagster to the mix.

I'm quite a fan of these:

Lamborghini Murcielago 670 R-SV GT1

Aston Martin DBR9 FIA GT1

And again, just ignore Clarkson. I have on my computer an un-commented piece of the DBR9 from TopGear (got it from a DVD) but it isn't on YouTube. :(

Back